PDA

View Full Version : Rays, Longoria agree to extension through 2022

doublem23
11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
$100 million

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/evan-longoria-rays-sign-100-million-extension-2022-143449962--mlb.html

TheOldRoman
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
It should be noted that the $100 million is just for the final six years, as he was already under contract through 2016. Still, he will make $16.7 mil a year during that contract, which is a less than market value for him in today's baseball market, and will be a complete steal by then if he is still producing. Overall, the Rays will pay him $136 mil over the next ten years. That's an incredible bargain.

soxfanatlanta
11-26-2012, 11:33 AM
It should be noted that the $100 million is just for the final six years, as he was already under contract through 2016. Still, he will make $16.7 mil a year during that contract, which is a less than market value for him in today's baseball market, and will be a complete steal by then if he is still producing. Overall, the Rays will pay him $136 mil over the next ten years. That's an incredible bargain.

If he stays healthy, then it is a very good bargain.

I hope the Rays took out an insurance policy on this contract, though; they cannot afford a Mike Hampton deal (not that Longoria will get hurt during batting practice)

DSpivack
11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
If he stays healthy, then it is a very good bargain.

I hope the Rays took out an insurance policy on this contract, though; they cannot afford a Mike Hampton deal (not that Longoria will get hurt during batting practice)

Aren't most, if not nearly all, sports contracts insured?

tstrike2000
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice to see him sign long term with TB. He's a great player.

#1swisher
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Evan Longoria underwent a surgical procedure Nov. 20th to "clean up" the injured left hamstring that caused him to miss more than half of last season.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/tampa-bay-rays-evan-longoria-has-hamstring-surgery/1263389

PorkChopExpress
11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I like to see this. Similar to Braun. Still getting paid, albeit not top dollar relative to the market, and sticking with one team, assuming they don't trade him at some point.

That being said, does Tampa have any good 3B prospects close to MLB ready that might now be blocked for an extended period?

ComiskeyBrewer
11-29-2012, 04:54 AM
I like to see this. Similar to Braun. Still getting paid, albeit not top dollar relative to the market, and sticking with one team, assuming they don't trade him at some point.

That being said, does Tampa have any good 3B prospects close to MLB ready that might now be blocked for an extended period?

Not sure, but they could always just throw him in the outfield/DH if need be. It greatly drops the value of the contract, but it's an option.

Steelrod
11-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Aren't most, if not nearly all, sports contracts insured?
Almost none, I believe. Due to the high premium cost and difficult rules to qualify.

Red Barchetta
11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice to see him sign long term with TB. He's a great player.

He is clearly the face of the organization. They are a different team with him in the lineup and he is consistently good in clutch situations.

Hopefully he will be there when they open a new (real) ballpark...