http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/2994/dewayne-wise

One year deal to be the 4th OF.

doublem23
11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The Rick Hahn Trolling WSI Era begins

Tragg
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Good lord.

So much for a serious effort to upgrade the bench. ONe of the biggest holes on the team was a lack of bench-bat. Hahn (or whoever is pulling his strings) comes up with a career .260 OBP hitter.
Purely Ridiculous.

soxfanatlanta
11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Um...under the radar?

Taliesinrk
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Wise may be a nice guy... I don't know. I can say though, that I can't ever remember a time I've been happy he's on the roster. ugh.

thomas35forever
11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Who knows? He could break out again just to shut everyone up.

Rocky Soprano
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Wise may be a nice guy... I don't know. I can say though, that I can't ever remember a time I've been happy he's on the roster. ugh.

Not even when he made "the catch?"

Obviously this is not a move to sell tickets, but for the role he is expected to play I won't complain.

SoxSpeed22
11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
If he's a 25th man, I'm ok with that. More depth is needed.

WhiteSox5187
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I am fine with this move, he's a decent 4th outfielder.

Foulke You
11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I am fine with this move, he's a decent 4th outfielder.
Exactly. You primarily want your 4th outfielder to be a good glove man and Wise is definitely that. He has a little bit of pop, can play all 3 outfield positions, and provides some plus speed too. Pretty much a solid 4th outfielder. Just keep Wise out of the 3 hole and I'm perfectly fine with the move.:tongue:

WSox597
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
As a 4th OF, I'm okay with this move as well. If he plays every day, we have problems.

I don't think Ventura is the type of manager to play him every day.

34rancher
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
He's a heck of a lot better than what people around here tried to convince us that fukudome was going to be. If we have wise the first half of last year do we win more games than we did in first half?

doublem23
11-21-2012, 04:47 PM
He's a heck of a lot better than what people around here tried to convince us that fukudome was going to be. If we have wise the first half of last year do we win more games than we did in first half?

Fukudome only played 10 full games for the Sox so probably not

LITTLE NELL
11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Exactly. You primarily want your 4th outfielder to be a good glove man and Wise is definitely that. He has a little bit of pop, can play all 3 outfield positions, and provides some plus speed too. Pretty much a solid 4th outfielder. Just keep Wise out of the 3 hole and I'm perfectly fine with the move.:tongue:

:thumbsup:

Tragg
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
This also gives pause to any ideas that this team was going to stress OBP, when they get a 4th outfielder who can't get on base. He's nothing special defensively either. But he gets his hits in bunches, so people think he's better than he is, and he made "the catch", which has forever overrated his defensive skills.
And 4th outfielder is not 25th man on the roster.
I must correct myself - his stellar .295 obp for the Sox last year, raised his career obp to .264.

Domeshot17
11-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Would have preferred Jordan Danks

XplodingScorbord
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Mike Trout wasn't available?!?! C'mon, Hahn, we're not gonna stand for this kinda stuff!

Medford Bobby
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fav0MsdrkwE/TuLKOPvxlRI/AAAAAAAAKcU/8_pQTfridsg/s400/dewayne-wise-catch.jpg

no words needed.....

mzh
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
2012 is real. The end is near.

WLL1855
11-21-2012, 06:58 PM

That's certainly your prerogative. The 4th outfielder is merely the whipping boy for the forums. It won't matter much who it is.

BainesHOF
11-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Surprised at the negativity toward Wise. He's a lefty, can hit a bit with occasional power, can run and steal a base, and is pretty good defensively. Plus his attitude is good. He's a decent bench player, especially on a team without a ton of money to burn.

slavko
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Surprised at the negativity toward Wise. He's a lefty, can hit a bit with occasional power, can run and steal a base, and is pretty good defensively. Plus his attitude is good. He's a decent bench player, especially on a team without a ton of money to burn.

Right you are. The problem is that someone eats a bad clam and Wise winds up starting for weeks at a time and gets exposed as he regresses to his lifetime mean.

jshanahanjr
11-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Love D-Wise! Don't hate the player, hate the the game!!! Good bench guy that can also pitch in a blowout.:bandance:

spawn
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Don't know why you're surprised. This was to be expected. People around here need to realize that Ozzie isn't managing this team anymore, so Wise will not be the starting CFer and leadoff hitter. He's a 4th outfielder. Jeez.

Tragg
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Don't know why you're surprised. This was to be expected. People around here need to realize that Ozzie isn't managing this team anymore, so Wise will not be the starting CFer and leadoff hitter. He's a 4th outfielder. Jeez.

And he's a bad 4th outfielder. .290 OBP in his best year, which was last year, is horrid.
And last year, he did lead off and he did start - many games.
Good in the clubhouse is a ridiculous reason to sign a player.
Last year, the lack of bench production on this team was a glaring weakness. So what do the Sox do? Bring back the same player. Now, sure, there are other bench players, but the chances of your utility infielder being an excellent bench bat are close to zero.
The 4th outfielder is where you get it from, the Sox didn't even make an effort to upgrade.
Disappointing.
Guillen's personality wore out its welcome, but much of his philosophy of low-obp baseball was and is shared by this organization.

doublem23
11-22-2012, 02:00 AM
And he's a bad 4th outfielder. .290 OBP in his best year, which was last year, is horrid.
And last year, he did lead off and he did start - many games.
Good in the clubhouse is a ridiculous reason to sign a player.

Yes, he played as much as he did because his arrival coincided with De Aza's injury problems, it's not like the Sox were constantly sitting healthy players to jam more Wise in the lineup. I don't see how signing a guy to a $700 K deal precludes the Sox from making any more roster moves, what there's only like 90 days left until Spring Training starts, I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S ENOUGH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wise also spent a good chunk of the year playing 4th OF for a 95-win team, so it's clearly not the keystone of a roster.

LoveYourSuit
11-22-2012, 02:32 AM

No thanks.

For the hype of his glove, the guy couldn't catch a cold out there.

DonnieDarko
11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
No thanks.

For the hype of his glove, the guy couldn't catch a cold out there.

Not making excuses for the guy, but he always seemed to be going out there to make an awesome play--such as diving for a ball when he should have taken it on a hop--which lead to him completely botching the play and...well, yeah.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if he just tries to not overdo it, we probably wouldn't be talking about his glove. *shrug*

russ99
11-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Some people need a reality check as to the kind of player on a big league bench.

Unless one of the kids in the minors steps up, you're not going to be able to get a guy who has similar numbers as a guy in the lineup, unless you're willing to pay a lot more than 700K, and those guys want playing time assurances, like our ole buddy Fukudome.

Also, remember that Wise outperformed a number of our players down the stretch.

That said, I hope there's a mix of lower cost bench guys and kids fighting for big league jobs come March, and Wise won't just be handed the role.

voodoochile
11-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Not even after the 26th out of Buehrle's perfecto?

WhiteSox5187
11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Not even after the 26th out of Buehrle's perfecto?

I am fairly certain that Wise's catch was the 25th out. I believe the 26th out was a strikeout where Buehrle came back from a 3-1 count.

Yup.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200907230.shtml

shingo10
11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
If the Sox truly aren't going to spend a lot of money this offseason then this is about as good as you can do for a backup outfielder. As many have mentioned there is a lot of offseason left. This one move is not going to make or break it.

SCCWS
11-23-2012, 09:00 AM
I think bench players are very important for the White Sox because they rarely have a strong AAA team that has readily available players. I think the organization needs to build some depth around the starting unit. Wise is a very adequate back-up for DeAza. He is not for LF and RF. So if there is not an adequate corner outfielder in AAA next year that could hopefully fill-in, then Wise is a poor choice as the 4th outfielder.
I would also be concerned that usually the 5th infielder is also a weak offensive player and it seems like the White Sox back-up catcher may be as well. If Wise is your best offensive threat on the bench, that may make him the 22nd player on roster not the 25th.

tick53
11-23-2012, 01:50 PM
If they trade De Asa and make this ass clown the centerfielder then then I have to re-evaluate my loyalty to this team. :angry:

"I'm all through doing favors for the White Sox".

Dewayne Wise after 2010 season.

Rick Hahn will probably wind up being just another one of Reinsdorf's lap dogs like everyone else in his employ!!!!

Sorry I misspelled De Asa......still have bad keyboard!!

tick53
11-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Speaking of backup outfielders.....here's an idea!!!! JORDAN DANKS!!!!!!! :scratch:

mzh
11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
This is literally no different than signing Fukudome lat January. I don't know why some people seem to expect to have 4th or 5th outfielders that will hit .280 with modest power and a nice OBP, because then they wouldn't be 4th outfielders. Wise is a veteran who is well liked in the clubhouse, Danks is a 26 year old rookie who has 15 hits in the Major Leagues. Put away the pitchforks, folks.

voodoochile
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
I am fairly certain that Wise's catch was the 25th out. I believe the 26th out was a strikeout where Buehrle came back from a 3-1 count.

Yup.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200907230.shtml

I sit corrected... :redface:

soxfanreggie
11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm good with this signing and look forward to what he can contribute.

wassagstdu
11-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Good move. I like Wise as a backup. Plus, it keeps him away from other teams. He is a Sox-killer!

Mr. Jinx
11-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Speaking of backup outfielders.....here's an idea!!!! JORDAN DANKS!!!!!!! :scratch:

I would prefer to go with someone who can play a major league caliber outfield on defense for my 4th outfielder.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I would prefer to go with someone who can play a major league caliber outfield on defense for my 4th outfielder.

You mean, someone like DeWayne Wise?

OMIGAWD THE SOX ARE DOOMED BECAUSE THEIR 4th OF ISN'T STARTING CALIBER

Mr. Jinx
11-23-2012, 11:52 PM
You mean, someone like DeWayne Wise?

OMIGAWD THE SOX ARE DOOMED BECAUSE THEIR 4th OF ISN'T STARTING CALIBER

I can't even tell if you are insulting me or not, but I am happy with Wise as our 4th outfielder. He plays solid defense and offensively he knows which end of the bat to hold.

tick53
11-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I can't even tell if you are insulting me or not, but I am happy with Wise as our 4th outfielder. He plays solid defense and offensively he knows which end of the bat to hold.

He couldn't even lay down a bunt at the end of the season. Let's review something. The Sox coughed up the division to the Tigers and lost BUT they went out and signed Torii Hunter, another sox killer, who's back in our division but the White Sox signed journeyman, DeWayne Wise and mark my words, the Sox love this guy and he will see a lot of playing time let's see where that batting average is next year and see his other stats...BTW, I'm sure you're a good guy, Mr Jinx. Our opinions just differ....Go Sox

Mr. Jinx
11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
He couldn't even lay down a bunt at the end of the season. Let's review something. The Sox coughed up the division to the Tigers and lost BUT they went out and signed Torii Hunter, another sox killer, who's back in our division but the White Sox signed journeyman, DeWayne Wise and mark my words, the Sox love this guy and he will see a lot of playing time let's see where that batting average is next year and see his other stats...BTW, I'm sure you're a good guy, Mr Jinx. Our opinions just differ....Go Sox

Oh I take no offense at all, good folks can disagree!

I don't think the outfield is a weakness for the Sox, so I don't mind them signing a decent 4th outfielder. Now would I like them to try and sign a real 2nd or 3rd baseman? Well yeah. Compared to the Tigers, yes, they are falling behind. But it isn't due to signing Wise for pennies (in MLB terms).

Tragg
11-24-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't think the outfield is a weakness for the Sox, so I don't mind them signing a decent 4th outfielder.
I wish they would.

I can find 20 4th outfielders with an OBP better than .290 and career .263.

doublem23
11-24-2012, 05:53 PM
If they trade De Asa and make this ass clown the centerfielder then then I have to re-evaluate my loyalty to this team. :angry:

Had anyone said anything about trading De Asa [sic]? I feel this is a bogus rumor you've just made up to justify getting angry over something any sensible person would just kind of shrug off.

DonnieDarko
11-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Had anyone said anything about trading De Asa [sic]? I feel this is a bogus rumor you've just made up to justify getting angry over something any sensible person would just kind of shrug off.

I don't know if the rumor was "bogus", but I do remember reading somewhere that the White Sox were thinking of trading De Aza. Or maybe Hahn was just putting out feelers for how valuable he is. Dunno.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-24-2012, 06:31 PM

I was agreeing with you. I like the signing, and think all these people whining about a guy signed for under a million to be a backup is downright obnoxious.

Dibbs
11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
See you guys in 2014. I can't deal with another year of this nonsense.

Tragg
11-24-2012, 10:06 PM
The Sox coughed up the division to the Tigers and lost BUT they went out and signed Torii Hunter, another sox killer, who's back in our division but the White Sox signed journeyman, DeWayne Wise and mark my words, the Sox love this guy and he will see a lot of playing time let's see where that batting average is next year and see his other stats...
This -

Okay, we couldn't sign Hunter. Then find edges where you can get them - on the bench, in the pen. Build some real depth on this team, so we don't cave like last year. You can do that for a reasonable sum. The Sox didn't even try. And at this point I think the Sox actually think he's good.
He saw a lot of playing time last year; he led off many games. In fact, he played CF in late innings because De Aza doesn't like playing CF (even though De Aza is a much better CF). When he started - he led off. And to be fair, your fourth OF SHOULD play. And that's why he shouldn't be our fourth OF.
We'll see how the other positions shake out.

Frater Perdurabo
11-24-2012, 10:23 PM
When Dunn's deal is done, I hope Hahn will stock the roster with more than three starting-caliber OFs, to allow the DH spot to be used to give starters a break.

When you have two high-dollar starting sluggers who can only play 1B and DH, and your owner effectively caps payroll, it limits roster and payroll flexibility.

spawn
11-25-2012, 10:51 AM
See you guys in 2014. I can't deal with another year of this nonsense.
Goodbye.

Jeez...you people kill me. :rolleyes:

I was agreeing with you. I like the signing, and think all these people whining about a guy signed for under a million to be a backup is downright obnoxious.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Falstaff
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
This -

Okay, we couldn't sign Hunter. Then find edges where you can get them - on the bench, in the pen. Build some real depth on this team, so we don't cave like last year. You can do that for a reasonable sum. The Sox didn't even try. And at this point I think the Sox actually think he's good.
He saw a lot of playing time last year; he led off many games. In fact, he played CF in late innings because De Aza doesn't like playing CF (even though De Aza is a much better CF). When he started - he led off. And to be fair, your fourth OF SHOULD play. And that's why he shouldn't be our fourth OF.
We'll see how the other positions shake out.

Out of all the players in organized baseball, all the players in minor leagues,
MLB, Japan, etc.... The very best possibility for improving the White Sox, to put us into the playoffs and beyond turns out to be Dewayne Wise. Really?
This move smacks of defeatism. Or maybe they picked up Wise with intent to package him with others in blockbuster deal or something?

Nellie_Fox
11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Out of all the players in organized baseball, all the players in minor leagues,
MLB, Japan, etc.... The very best possibility for improving the White Sox, to put us into the playoffs and beyond turns out to be Dewayne Wise. Really?
This move smacks of defeatism. Or maybe they picked up Wise with intent to package him with others in blockbuster deal or something?You think that's the role of a fourth outfielder? All of that? Really?

spawn
11-30-2012, 04:44 PM
You think that's the role of a fourth outfielder? All of that? Really?

The hatred of DeWayne Wise apparently runs deep here. I can't believe all of this animosity towards a bench player.

happydude
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm cool with it. Sure DeWayne's not a very good player; most backup players aren't thus their relegation to the bench in the first place. Still, he's an adequate defender with enough pop in his bat to help produce runs for a few games at a time.

His problems seem to stem primarily from overuse when the powers that be fall in love with his good performances and overuse him out of the, likely, mistaken belief that he can get hot and stay hot for more than a couple games here and there. I'm more than comfortable with him getting a handful of starts and doing some pinch hitting.

kittle42
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
The hatred of DeWayne Wise apparently runs deep here. I can't believe all of this animosity towards a bench player.

It's also apparent that a lot of folks don't realize how shallow the benches of other teams are. Yes, the Sox had one of the worst in MLB last year, but there weren't too many teams with solid bench production.

SI1020
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
It's also apparent that a lot of folks don't realize how shallow the benches of other teams are. Yes, the Sox had one of the worst in MLB last year, but there weren't too many teams with solid bench production. Or solid bullpens and starting rotations. There are too many teams for the current talent pool to fill. Just my opinion.

asindc
12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Or solid bullpens and starting rotations. There are too many teams for the current talent pool to fill. Just my opinion.

Yup, and it's been that way for years.

Tragg
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
If the Sox use Wise as a real backup, 25th man on the roster type, it will be the first time.
Because, so far, he plays, and when he starts, the Sox give him the most at bats in the lineup.
Not everyone has a bad bench...the Sox do. Not a good start to improving it. Hopefully, the sign 3 guys for the bench who are better than him. Because if we don't, we won't improve.

Dibbs
12-02-2012, 10:52 AM
If the Sox use Wise as a real backup, 25th man on the roster type, it will be the first time.
Because, so far, he plays, and when he starts, the Sox give him the most at bats in the lineup.
Not everyone has a bad bench...the Sox do. Not a good start to improving it. Hopefully, the sign 3 guys for the bench who are better than him. Because if we don't, we won't improve.

Exactly. I don't hate Dewayne Wise the 25th man. I hate the Dewayne Wise who actually plays.

TheVulture
12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues. Signed at 700k, he could be released if need be. I don't see what the big deal is, he's a solid bench guy. I wouldn't want him to be the #1 bat off the bench, though, hopefully the Sox can pick up a solid bat as well.

Domeshot17
12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't mind it if it is for depth. I mind it, like everyone else, if we are talking 300 at bats where he is hitting in the top 5 in the lineup.

kittle42
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't mind it if it is for depth. I mind it, like everyone else, if we are talking 300 at bats where he is hitting in the top 5 in the lineup.

Best No. 3 hitter ever!

SCCWS
12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Maybe Wise can play 3rd.................................

Tragg
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues.

In c. 1100 ML plate appearances, he has 30 homers and an OBP of .264. What makes you think he's starter quality? (and when he did start for the Sox in 2009 as the lead-off hitter, oh, well you remember how that went).

palehosepub
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I saw the Red Sox non tendered Ryan Sweeney, would have been a better choice for a lefty 4th outfielder in my opinion; he still may have some upside and is a good outfielder who can play all three positions. Too late...

spawn
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
In c. 1100 ML plate appearances, he has 30 homers and an OBP of .264. What makes you think he's starter quality? (and when he did start for the Sox in 2009 as the lead-off hitter, oh, well you remember how that went).
You did read the entire post, didn't you?
Wise has speed, defensive ability and some pop. If he put up a respectable OBP as well, he'd be a starting player in the major leagues. Signed at 700k, he could be released if need be. I don't see what the big deal is, he's a solid bench guy.I wouldn't want him to be the #1 bat off the bench, though, hopefully the Sox can pick up a solid bat as well.

Tragg
12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
You did read the entire post, didn't you?

I read it. I'm looking for reasons to think there is any chance he puts up a respectable OBP. And with 30 homers in 1100 at bats, your OBP needs to be more than respectable.

Ryan Sweeney is injury-prone and has little power. He's been a bust, really. I'd look at Shierholz as 4th OF. But we already have one, so that's that.

TheVulture
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I read it. I'm looking for reasons to think there is any chance he puts up a respectable OBP. And with 30 homers in 1100 at bats, your OBP needs to be more than respectable.

Ryan Sweeney is injury-prone and has little power. He's been a bust, really. I'd look at Shierholz as 4th OF. But we already have one, so that's that.

Yeah, that works out to 15 homeruns a year. Considering he stole 19 bases in limited duty last year, I'd say 30+ stolen bases is not out of the question. You don't think a guy who plays plus defense at CF along with say a .340 OBP and those numbers wouldn't be starting? Tampa, for example, just won ninety games with two OFers who put up worse numbers than that. Obviously, nothing indicates Wise would put up a .340 OBP, but maybe you should review the meaning of "if". For example, if I were just struck by lightning, I'd be dead, but I'm still alive. According to your analysis, I should be dead anyway if my premise were true.

fuzzy_patters
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
In defense of Wise, his OBP vs RH pitchers was .322 last year with a wOBA of .337. As long as he only plays against RH pitchers, this is a fine pick-up. A .322 OBP for a bench player is decent. The problem is that he had 68 PA against left-handers last year, and only posted a .221 OBP vs lefties. Hopefully, the Sox carry 5 outfielders and the other back-up is right handed.