PDA

View Full Version : Another Trade, And He's Back!

kevingrt
07-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Sandy Alomar Jr. is traded to the Rockies for a minor league player, don't ask who. Breaking news from Andy Pollin and Bruce Levine @ 11:20. And Josh Paul is FINALLY BACK!

guillen4life13
07-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Sandy Alomar Jr. is traded to the Rockies for a minor league player, don't ask who. Breaking news from Andy Pollin and Bruce Levine @ 11:20. And Josh Paul is FINALLY BACK!

uh oh... spagetti-o's.

well i guess they don't have any other option. that's life

delben91
07-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
And Josh Paul is FINALLY BACK!

Please tell me you forgot the teal on that one. Randar, kermit, mathew, daver, you want to take this one or should I?

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Josh Paul is awful.

Maybe he'll get lucky and get a few hits in the dome.

KruseControl04
07-29-2002, 12:30 PM
We'd better not just be getting more crappy minor league pitchers. We need something more than some kids who are never gonna bum around the minors for the rest of their lives.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
We'd better not just be getting more crappy minor league pitchers. We need something more than some kids who are never gonna bum around the minors for the rest of their lives.

Your fooling yourself if you think any team will trade anything good for Sandy Alomar.

duke of dorwood
07-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Are'nt we forgetting to accumulate some position players though? Seems like all we draft or get in these deals are pitchers . Maybe we should draft a catcher once in a while.

Bucktown
07-29-2002, 12:38 PM
Why are we so worried about Josh Paul? How can he be any worse than Mark Johnson. That guy is hitting under .200 and couldn't throw out Ron Santo sans prosthesis.

Paulwny
07-29-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Are'nt we forgetting to accumulate some position players though? Seems like all we draft or get in these deals are pitchers . Maybe we should draft a catcher once in a while.

Who needs a catcher, Mr Versatility is back.

Daver
07-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

The Sox have drafted some top notch catching prospects,the problem is they never signed them.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by delben91

Please tell me you forgot the teal on that one. Randar, kermit, mathew, daver, you want to take this one or should I?

:MJ

HEY! What about me?!?!?!?!?

kevingrt
07-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Sorry yes I did forget to teal

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2002, 12:47 PM
There really is only one more player who must go. Royce is the only high priced veteran on the last year of a contract who is not in the teams plans. If Kenny can lose Royce he will have at least accomplished one goal, trim payroll.

Why did we get the least amount for the best player we have traded so far?

delben91
07-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by daver

The Sox have drafted some top notch catching prospects,the problem is they never signed them.

Wow, yeah, don't get me started on that one. I've vented about it plenty of times. Maybe one day we'll actually sign a quality catching draft choice....maybe......

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
There really is only one more player who must go. Royce is the only high priced veteran on the last year of a contract who is not in the teams plans. If Kenny can lose Royce he will have at least accomplished one goal, trim payroll.

Why did we get the least amount for the best player we have traded so far?

Nobody wants Royce, Jose will be moved.

Depends. Were the A's the only team after him? You hear a lot of rumors, but that's just talk. If they were the only team then the Sox have to take what they can get.

JoseCanseco6969
07-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Why are we so worried about Josh Paul? How can he be any worse than Mark Johnson. That guy is hitting under .200 and couldn't throw out Ron Santo sans prosthesis.

i agree, and i think if paul dominates all these "Mr Versatility" bashers will finally shut up with that crap. He will be an improvement over our no hitter, worse than clayton catcher known as MJ. I hope paul can prove his worth the rest of the year just to stop the bashing.

Daver
07-29-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969

i agree, and i think if paul dominates all these "Mr Versatility" bashers will finally shut up with that crap. He will be an improvement over our no hitter, worse than clayton catcher known as MJ. I hope paul can prove his worth the rest of the year just to stop the bashing.

Catcher is a Defensive position,and Josh Paul sucks.When you can't call the game yourself cause you have no clue how to call it,or throw out a runner at second cause your arm is as erractic as your baserunning,you need to be in AAA,not on a major league roster.

Josh Paul is a horrible catcher.

WinningUgly!
07-29-2002, 02:29 PM

i agree, and i think if paul dominates all these "Mr Versatility" bashers will finally shut up with that crap.

That's one huge "if"! :D: For some reason, I don't see it ever happening.

Randar68
07-29-2002, 02:36 PM

*****!!!!!

Invasion of the irrational fans continues!!!!!!!!!

Iguana775
07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

*****!!!!!

Invasion of the irrational fans continues!!!!!!!!!

i take it they forgot how bad he sucked last year.

Paul is just bad!!!! he has no catching skill worth a damn. he has no clue on the bases and he cant hit.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2002, 02:45 PM

Yup. And Josh Paul sure solves that problem!

doublem23
07-29-2002, 02:47 PM

Methinks you're overestimating Josh's skills.

JoseCanseco6969
07-29-2002, 03:01 PM

Catcher is a Defensive position,and Josh Paul sucks.When you can't call the game yourself cause you have no clue how to call it,or throw out a runner at second cause your arm is as erractic as your baserunning,you need to be in AAA,not on a major league roster.

Josh Paul is a horrible catcher.

and MJ can throw our runners????? and if paul is horrible catcher, i dont know what MJ could be described as

Daver
07-29-2002, 03:04 PM

and MJ can throw our runners????? and if paul is horrible catcher, i dont know what MJ could be described as

Johson can handle a pitching staff,call his own game,and can at least keep baserunners honest,Josh Paul can do none of this.

I am not saying MJ is a great catcher,unless you are comparing him to Josh Paul.

Meatpants
07-29-2002, 03:14 PM
http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0729/1411349.html

Enemencio Pachero

ChiWhiteS0XFan
07-29-2002, 05:31 PM
ummm lets keep royce...ya know we need SOME defense...

ode to veeck
07-29-2002, 06:17 PM

I woulda said this about Sandy, who is much, much much, worse, while I (in person) saw Mark throw out one of the Twinkies at Comiskey last Wed

Prof.Redass
07-29-2002, 07:00 PM

May I say with, utmost respect,that you sir,are an idiot.

Perhaps as pennence you should lock yourself in a room with videotape of every game Josh Paul has played in a major league uniform and force yourself to watch a bad catcher do what he does best,prove why he has no place on a major league team.

I wish you well,but I must go and be physically ill at the thought of him in a Sox uniform.

Farewell.

BuehrleACE56
07-29-2002, 07:09 PM
doesn't anyone think that Paul might have gotten better since last year? i mean lets think "this year." so far in his six games for the 2002 Sox Josh Paul has played really well. i think with Paul and MJ as a lefty/righty catching tandem is a great idea. try it out for the rest of this year and see how it goes.

guillen4life13
07-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteS0XFan

please say u forgot the teal, or u are in for a lot of angry replies

Originally posted by Prof.Redass

May I say with, utmost respect,that you sir,are an idiot.

Perhaps as pennence you should lock yourself in a room with videotape of every game Josh Paul has played in a major league uniform and force yourself to watch a bad catcher do what he does best,prove why he has no place on a major league team.

I wish you well,but I must go and be physically ill at the thought of him in a Sox uniform.

Farewell.

hey, i'm relatively new here but you are one of the newest people... and unless you show some reason as to why you think you can call someone an idiot who has posted 9x as many posts as you... i would say that it isn't right 4 u 2 do so.

Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
doesn't anyone think that Paul might have gotten better since last year? i mean lets think "this year." so far in his six games for the 2002 Sox Josh Paul has played really well. i think with Paul and MJ as a lefty/righty catching tandem is a great idea. try it out for the rest of this year and see how it goes.

heres what i have to say: it's been only 6 games. i agree that since this season is done... paul should be tried out. the thing is that paul is 27 years old. he prolly wont get much better

Daver
07-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

hey, i'm relatively new here but you are one of the newest people... and unless you show some reason as to why you think you can call someone an idiot who has posted 9x as many posts as you... i would say that it isn't right 4 u 2 do so.

Since when has the number of posts meant anything to someones opinion?

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Since when has the number of posts meant anything to someones opinion?

I agree.

If that were the case, I'd be the most respected guy here. As everyone knows that's not the case.

Iguana775
07-29-2002, 08:20 PM
as everyone else prolly remembers, MJ started off hot with the bat. just because paul had a few good games when he was up last time, doesnt mean he has gotten any better.

Soxheads
07-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I agree.

If that were the case, I'd be the most respected guy here. As everyone knows that's not the case.

Ain't that the truth. I'm 15th in posts, but I'm around 200 on the respectablity ladder.

The sooner Josh gets back to Charlotte, the better. How are some other catchers doing, i.e. Dalesandro?

Daver
07-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Ain't that the truth. I'm 15th in posts, but I'm around 200 on the respectablity ladder.

The sooner Josh gets back to Charlotte, the better. How are some other catchers doing, i.e. Dalesandro?

Mark Dalesandro is a career minor leaguer for a reason.

Miguel Olivio is putting up decent numbers in Birmingham,and will probably get moved to Charlotte to take over the spot vacated by Mr.versatility.

As far as Lee Evans goes,see Mark Dalesandro.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteS0XFan

How do you define defense? Getting the balls hit right at you is not defense, it's fundamentals. defense is when you make more than a half-assed effort to get something that is nearly out of reach.

You know what else Royce is lacking besides defense? HEART! This guy looks like he's mailing it in half of the time & that's why a lot of us want him gone.

Soxheads
07-29-2002, 08:47 PM

Mark Dalesandro is a career minor leaguer for a reason.

Miguel Olivio is putting up decent numbers in Birmingham,and will probably get moved to Charlotte to take over the spot vacated by Mr.versatility.

As far as Lee Evans goes,see Mark Dalesandro.

Any other good catching prospescts besides Mr. Olivio?

Daver
07-29-2002, 08:49 PM

Can you play catcher?

Soxheads
07-29-2002, 09:00 PM

Can you play catcher?

That dosen't sound real good. Besides, I'm a second baseman.

The Sox management must really be banking on Olivio, or (gulp) Paul.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2002, 12:26 AM

Can you play catcher?

Aren't you a catcher, daver? You might be just what we need.

:jerry
"I need somebody to pinch-run, daver. Can you fill Josh's shoes?"

:KW
"Look, I can't afford to pay you anything. In fact, I can't afford the team I've got now. Will you accept payment in day-old churros?"

:reinsy
"If you work hard daver, I think you'll be very surprised at how we treat you. Very surprised, indeed!"

Daver
07-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Aren't you a catcher, daver? You might be just what we need.

I don't know that I can accept the paycut from what I get working the drive through............

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 01:15 AM

if memory serves me right, the sox have one that came as a surprise. i think he was in extended time in AZL for more instruction and training.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 02:17 AM
ok i found the article. from baseball america.

A backlog of catchers resulted in highly regarded Charlie Lisk being kept in extended spring training to start the season. He finally got a chance to join Class A Winston-Salem when he replaced Humberto Quintero, who was promoted to Double-A Birmingham.

but his stats right now is not too impressive. maybe vic or randar or someone can tell us more about him

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
How do you define defense? Getting the balls hit right at you is not defense, it's fundamentals. defense is when you make more than a half-assed effort to get something that is nearly out of reach. Having a lot of balls hit right at you can be because you position yourself well; that's from knowing the hitters and your pitchers.

I know most of you guys see a lot more games than I do; I see only WGN games, ESPN games, and games against the Twins or Braves. However, in the games I have seen, I've seen Royce make a lot of diving stops.

I think a lot of you guys are so blinded by your hatred of his bat that you make yourself see bad defensive range. Yeah, I don't like that it takes him half the year to get going offensively every year, but at risk of being repetitive, shortstop is a defensive position. Clayton is the best defensive shortstop the Sox have, and that's the truth.

BuehrleACE56
07-30-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I think a lot of you guys are so blinded by your hatred of his bat that you make yourself see bad defensive range. Yeah, I don't like that it takes him half the year to get going offensively every year, but at risk of being repetitive, shortstop is a defensive position. Clayton is the best defensive shortstop the Sox have, and that's the truth.

amen to that nellie! thank you.

kermittheefrog
07-30-2002, 04:06 AM
shortstop is a defensive position.

Yeah and first base is an offensive position but it got to the point where we don't let Frank play there anymore. Just because shortstop isn't a position where you expect a lot of offense from doesn't mean your starting shortstop gets to be a zero with the bat and take no criticism.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Yeah and first base is an offensive position but it got to the point where we don't let Frank play there anymore. Just because shortstop isn't a position where you expect a lot of offense from doesn't mean your starting shortstop gets to be a zero with the bat and take no criticism. Okay, right now Clayton is hitting .238, Valentin .240.

OBP Clayton .284, Valentin .295.

Yeah, Valentin has better power numbers, but I still think the numbers justify playing the clearly better defensive player.

delben91
07-30-2002, 08:53 AM
Okay, right now Clayton is hitting .238, Valentin .240.

OBP Clayton .284, Valentin .295.

Yeah, Valentin has better power numbers, but I still think the numbers justify playing the clearly better defensive player.

The more I look at the other options we have out there, Manos, Jimenez, etc. The more disappointed I am, and thus I'm slowly turning into a Clayton backer. The key to keeping Royce around though is that the rest of the lineup can't stink all at once as it did for 6-8 weeks this season. We can cover one, maybe two weak bats when the rest of the team clicks on all cylinders. If we aren't doing that though, JM, or whomever is running the team at that moment, has to be willing to sit Royce, temporarily, until we get going offensively again. Just one man's opinion.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Having a lot of balls hit right at you can be because you position yourself well; that's from knowing the hitters and your pitchers.

I know most of you guys see a lot more games than I do; I see only WGN games, ESPN games, and games against the Twins or Braves. However, in the games I have seen, I've seen Royce make a lot of diving stops.

i have tried to see as games of the sox when they are on tv, but you guys see more games than i do. i have studied the stats as well, but i will tell you my point in this. there is a lot to what nellie says about positioning, i have seen that time and again. those who played ball can see that as well, if you keep an open mind. that is why i have never debated in the past arguments on his fielding.

however, i will rant about chemistry and the effects that clayton has in the clubhouse. that being said, i am still not a backer of clayton and he should be release.