PDA

View Full Version : Updated General Sox News

Lip Man 1
11-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Santiago pitching great in Puerto Rico...Hahn basically closes the door on speculation Dayan would be moved to 3rd base, says Dan Johnson will not play 3rd base and other tidbits:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-news-hector-santiago-impressive-in-two-starts-in-puerto-rico-20121115,0,3202818.story

Lip

ChicagoG19
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I imagine will fill the 3rd base hole via a trade or free agency. I can't see them just throwing anyone out there.

russ99
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Santiago pitching great in Puerto Rico...Hahn basically closes the door on speculation Dayan would be moved to 3rd base, says Dan Johnson will not play 3rd base and other tidbits:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-news-hector-santiago-impressive-in-two-starts-in-puerto-rico-20121115,0,3202818.story

Lip

Interesting.

Looks like Hahn has some irons in the fire. We'll have to see how some of the FA's shake out first, though.

PaleHoser
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I can't see them just throwing anyone out there.

I can. There's a reason Rich Lindberg named his book on the history of the White Sox "Who's on Third".

Chris Snopek, Greg Norton, Eddie Williams, Kenny Williams, Tim Hulett, Lorenzo Gray, Junior Moore are some of the forgettable names that come to mind for me that have been tried from the last 30 years or so.

Robin Ventura and Joe Crede have spoiled us.

EDIT: I left Orlando Hudson off my original list, because I have tried hard to blot that six week period out of my memory.

JB98
11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I can. There's a reason Rich Lindberg named his book on the history of the White Sox "Who's on Third".

Chris Snopek, Greg Norton, Eddie Williams, Kenny Williams, Tim Hulett, Lorenzo Gray, Junior Moore are some of the forgettable names that come to mind for me that have been tried from the last 30 years or so.

EDIT: I left Orlando Hudson off my original list, because I have tried hard to blot that six week period out of my memory.

Don't forget Alex Cintron, Josh Fields and Andy Gonzalez.

chisoxjtrain
11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't forget Alex Cintron, Josh Fields and Andy Gonzalez.

Or Herbert Perry.

Red Barchetta
11-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't forget the great Vance Law era!

Lip Man 1
11-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Vance was never going to be a long term solution but in the period of time he was there his glove work was very solid and that's all the Sox wanted. With the rest of that lineup he wasn't expected to hit home runs or drive in runs.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
11-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Carlos Martinez.

Foulke You
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Or Herbert Perry.
The "Milk Man" was actually pretty solid for us the short time he was here. Much better than a lot of the other names listed here. Herb did a nice job at 3B when it became clear that Norton couldn't handle the position.

mrfourni
11-16-2012, 02:34 PM

I was fond of the Chris Sabo "era". Nobody wore the goggles quite like him.

Noneck
11-16-2012, 02:57 PM
The "Milk Man" was actually pretty solid for us the short time he was here. Much better than a lot of the other names listed here. Herb did a nice job at 3B when it became clear that Norton couldn't handle the position.

Agree, I'd take a 2000 milkman next year.

#1swisher
11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Scott Merkin
Sale taking steps to reach elite starting level:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121116&content_id=40318316&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

"It's nice to get that first year out of the way, but I learned so much going through it: who I am and how my body reacts," Sale told MLB.com during a phone interview from his Florida home. As for throwing, he started last November, but was encouraged by pitching coach Don Cooper to wait until January for this coming season after surpassing his previous career high by 56 innings.

white sox bill
11-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Yes the human mind has a self defense mechanism that blocks unpleasurable events out of our minds. This would be one of them

Lip Man 1
11-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Don't forget Kevin Bell people...

Lip

KenBerryGrab
11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
...or Roy Smalley, Jr.

RCWHITESOX
11-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Don't forget Bubba Phillips and Pete Ward. My favorite Bill Melton.

gosox41
11-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Don't forget Bubba Phillips and Pete Ward. My favorite Bill Melton.

I liked Aurelio Rodriguez, the late inning defensive replacement.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
11-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Don't forget Bubba Phillips and Pete Ward. My favorite Bill Melton.Ward actually had a couple of pretty good years, and of course Melton was a star before he got hurt. Phillips, definitely a journeyman.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Ward's 63 and 64 seasons were as good as anybody's. Then came the auto accident outside Chicago Stadium where he was a passenger after seeing the Hawks play Montreal and the rest is history.

Lip

JB98
11-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't put Perry or Law on the list of bad 3B. Perry had a career year in a Sox uniform in 2000 and helped win a division. Law, like Lip mentioned, was good with the leather. That also helped the Sox win a division.

StillMissOzzie
11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Carlos Martinez.

That name brings back some fond memories. Back before the Cell was built, when JR and the Sox were pitching a new stadium to be built out in suburban Addison, I had the opportunity to meet Jim Fregosi and Herm Schneider (an odd pair to draw to, but I digress) who came out to a local bar to show the artist's renditions of the proposed new digs. Talk turned to the upcoming season and Sox prospects, and Fregosi was raving about this kid. "This kid can PLAY", he said.

SMO
:rolleyes::gulp:

FoulTerritory
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Or Herbert Perry.

Wha? Smokin' Herb Perry was the MAN. He had some huge hits for the Sox in that 2000 division title season. And though he was big and slow, he wasn't a butcher at 3rd either.

LITTLE NELL
11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw80e2Fnbc3pwphCaRA9kyRx8LMSmvE tJUu-fkh72NYcTp2XyE

And then there was the unforgettable Gene Freese in one of Veeck's horrible trades after the 1959 season. We traded Sox phenom Johnny Callison to get this guy. It was rumored that Sox season ticket holders in the low boxes increased their life insurance after having to dodge errant throws from Freese. He lasted one year on the Southside but the good news is that we were able to get Juan Pizarro from the Braves/Reds in a 3 way trade for him. Pizarro had some very good years with a 75-47 record in 6 years with the Sox.

palehosepub
11-18-2012, 11:27 AM

+1 Although his time with the Sox was short he had a nice season in 2000 for the Sox and was solid with the glove. Id take that kind of season for 2013