PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Installing New Video Screen

samurai_sox
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121115&content_id=40299520&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

It will be the largest in MLB.

ChiSoxFann
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
And the Sox continue to fall down the scoreboard list in MLB.

GABP
11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
And the Sox continue to fall down the scoreboard list in MLB.

I'd imagine they're already bottom 5 (not last, since that's Wrigley)

Max Power
11-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Whoa. I've been to Safeco a few times and the artist's rendering does not do justice to how big that video board will be. That's going to be nice.

The video screen situation at Comiskey is a joke. It's got to be the worst in the league (the Cubs don't count because they're not even trying).

Hitmen77
11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
I might not be remembering correctly, but I thought the old Safeco scoreboards were better than the ones at the Cell.....and yet, they've managed to come up with funds for a new one. The new one in Seattle looks like a monster!

I agree that the scoreboards at the Cell are a joke. They have to be near the worst in MLB. It's a pretty sad legacy for a franchise that, going back to 1960, was known for it's huge "exploding" scoreboard.

I also agree that Wrigley isn't comparable. Right or wrong, they've obviously sold that fan base and the Wrigley Field tourists on the idea that their mechanical scoreboard is the best thing ever. So, any discussion about the quality of scoreboards is really compared to the other 28 MLB teams.

doublem23
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd imagine they're already bottom 5 (not last, since that's Wrigley)

At least with Wrigley there's some sick, perverse nostalgia attached to it. Sure it sucks by modern standards, but people still listen to vinyl records, shave with a safety razor, etc. for the same reason. Our scoreboard just sucks.

roylestillman
11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Hey, some "progress" to report. For those of you who haven't been by the park lately, the sign facing the Ryan at 35th and Wentworth has been redone. All ads above and below the screen have been incorporated into the new bigger full color screen. It was on the other day, and to be honest, looked as if it were running in something less than HD. Couldn't make out the message at all.

Bobby Thigpen
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Of all the inane complaints about the Sox, the ones about the scoreboard "situation" are among the dumbest.

doublem23
11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Of all the inane complaints about the Sox, the ones about the scoreboard "situation" are among the dumbest.

Ah, yes, I see our Resident Expert on What Other People Should Think is back.

GABP
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM

except it's not. Our division rivals and small market teams Cleveland, Detroit, KC have awesome scoreboards, and while I'm haven't been there I'm sure Minnesota's is great as well.

TheOldRoman
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Sigh. New video board for Seattle. Meanwhile, the Sox have the equivalent of a 55" Zenith projection TV in centerfield.

samurai_sox
11-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Even if the Sox wanted to put in a new screen, where would it be? There's no room for it.

Screw it! I want a new stadium!

HomeFish
11-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Every fan wants their team to have the biggest scoreboard and the loudest, most obnoxious fireworks. But with the White Sox, both of these things are actually a tradition: one that is falling away.

Bobby Thigpen
11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Ah, yes, I see our Resident Expert on What Other People Should Think is back.
That title, coming from you, is richly ironic.

BleacherBandit
11-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Wow. What are they compensating for?

SaltyPretzel
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Even if the Sox wanted to put in a new screen, where would it be? There's no room for it.

Screw it! I want a new stadium!

They took out a billboard in left field for the Fundamentals deck in left field. If they took out the two in center, there would be room. I'm sure they would more than make up the revenue in advertising on a video board that size.

Having a big scoreboard would make the rest of the ballpark seem more intimate also.

DumpJerry
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
My main complaint about the Comiskey scoreboard is that it shows too many runs for the visitors and not enough for the Sox more times than I would like.:mad:

I'm going to email Brooks.

soxnut67
11-18-2012, 10:03 AM
My main complaint about the Comiskey scoreboard is that it shows too many runs for the visitors and not enough for the Sox more times than I would like.:mad:

I'm going to email Brooks.cent of thter scoreboards.

i actually emaled Brooks about a year ago on the subject. The Sox cant do anything until at least 75% has better scoreboards,:(:

SaltyPretzel
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
cent of thter scoreboards.

i actually emaled Brooks about a year ago on the subject. The Sox cant do anything until at least 75% has better scoreboards,:(:

With the exception of Oakland, I can't think of a team that has worse. :scratch:

DumpJerry
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
cent of thter scoreboards.

:scratch:

thomas35forever
11-18-2012, 02:41 PM
They took out a billboard in left field for the Fundamentals deck in left field. If they took out the two in center, there would be room. I'm sure they would more than make up the revenue in advertising on a video board that size.

Having a big scoreboard would make the rest of the ballpark seem more intimate also.
It would be nice if they could give Pepsi and Miller some good enough compensation for those spots that it would make the larger screen possible.