PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Announce Family Sundays

beasly213
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Per the White Sox Twitter Feed:

Family Sundays for 13 games in 2013. $15, $10, and $5 tickets in some areas of the park and $10 parking.

Also bringing back letting kids run the bases and autograph sessions.

Kudos White Sox. Kudos.

Rocky Soprano
11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
:bandance:

It appears that the Sox are doing everything to get people out to games.
Kudos indeed.

Thome25
11-15-2012, 11:02 AM
This team is trying everything they can to get people out to the ballpark.

IMO now the ball is in the fans' court to at least meet them halfway and put their fannies in the seats.

voodoochile
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
That's a sweet deal and with the later starts on Sunday, many families will be able to take advantage of this and not have to miss church or other traditional family Sunday morning activities.

That put's a family of 4 into the $100 range including food and drinks for the middle tier tickets. If a family wants to pack in their own water and go cheap on food and tickets they could walk out for under $50. That will definitely drive some demand.

Edit: Kindly ignore the part about later starts, I was having a voodoo moment...

MeteorsSox4367
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Now if they get rid of Mullet Night and have some White Sox alums in the park to sign autographs during some games, that would be even better.

Maybe they bring back Interlake Straight-A and Perfect Attendance games like when I was a kid as well. :D:

Lip Man 1
11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Good move....by the way Voodoo, what do you mean by later starts on Sunday? I must have missed that announcement.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
11-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Good to see that the Sox are trying to fix the attendance problem.
I know that attendance posts have been verboten on this site for some time but I think the Mods let us talk about the issue this year and I want to think that the Sox have made more than a few visits to this site to find out what fans thought. You can send out surveys to season ticket holders and get their views but I think the team gets a better view here at WSI as we are broader base than just season ticket holders. We have people who probably go to 5 games a year, some 10 or 20 and some a lot more.
Looking at the stands at the games I watched on TV this year it was the lower priced seats that were not full. I think you can build a larger fan base by getting people's fannies in those lower priced seats. The family Sunday is a great idea as parents will be bringing out their young children who will become White Sox fans for the rest of their lives.

JB98
11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Good job, Sox. The move to reduce parking rates is especially appreciated.

XplodingScorbord
11-15-2012, 01:32 PM
That's a sweet deal and with the later starts on Sunday, many families will be able to take advantage of this and not have to miss church or other traditional family Sunday morning activities.

That put's a family of 4 into the $100 range including food and drinks for the middle tier tickets. If a family wants to pack in their own water and go cheap on food and tickets they could walk out for under $50. That will definitely drive some demand.

Hadn't heard this. What's the new start time? 1:30? 2?

EDIT: Lip beat me to the question.

Rocky Soprano
11-15-2012, 02:25 PM

I love the reduced parking rate!

ChiSoxGal85
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Great move. Family friendly fun = more future Sox fans. :clap:

thomas35forever
11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I like the idea and I know this doesn't affect me anymore, but what does this mean for Kids Days? Are they still around?

DumpJerry
11-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Now if they get rid of Mullet Night and have some White Sox alums in the park to sign autographs during some games, that would be even better.

Maybe they bring back Interlake Straight-A and Perfect Attendance games like when I was a kid as well. :D:
Why the hate for Mullet Night? It's not like it was keeping the fans away and it is also an opportunity to get a low-cost haircut.

SephClone89
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Good move....by the way Voodoo, what do you mean by later starts on Sunday? I must have missed that announcement.

Lip

Hadn't heard this. What's the new start time? 1:30? 2?

EDIT: Lip beat me to the question.

I like the 1pm start times--means that I still have an evening ahead of me even when I get back to the far West suburbs. I'll be bummed if they're moved to 2pm or something like that.

doublem23
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I like the 1pm start times--means that I still have an evening ahead of me even when I get back to the far West suburbs. I'll be bummed if they're moved to 2pm or something like that.

Do you go to bed at 7 o'clock or something?

SephClone89
11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Do you go to bed at 7 o'clock or something?

On a school/work night? I aim to be in bed between 9 and 10, since I'm a master procrastinator who is most productive in the morning--I'm consistently the first teacher there in the morning.

MeteorsSox4367
11-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Why the hate for Mullet Night? It's not like it was keeping the fans away and it is also an opportunity to get a low-cost haircut.

I love low-cost haircuts, too. My beloved buzzcut is $12 plus tip at my barber.

As for the Mullet Night, I guess it seems like this promotion is just in need of being replaced. Bring back Bat Day or Helmet Day or start up I Can Strike Out Orlando Hudson Day.

Plus one of my Cub-loving coworkers - who's something of a self-righteous ass - claims that Mullet Night can be every night at a Sox game, thus feeding into the stereotype about Sox fans.

Medford Bobby
11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
And the 2013 Retro Sunday uniform should be from...1987!!!:cool:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/53/55/full/3l1rhufmmefsrdez7fk1ej7fc.gif

Noneck
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Sunday Doubleheaders next? I could only wish.

BainesHOF
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
It's time to can Mullet Night and Elvis Night and Rat Pack Night. They're beyond stale. What's wrong with having a Beatles Night or a Stones Night? Mix it up a little. It doesn't take much creativity.

Lip Man 1
11-15-2012, 07:01 PM
They have had a Beatles night in the past if I remember correctly.

Lip

Golden Sox
11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Years ago the White Sox use to have Camera Night. You were able to take photos of White Sox players before the game. You were actually able to go on the field where you would take your pictures. It was a nice promotion. I wish they would bring it back.

Nelfox02
11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I like the idea and I know this doesn't affect me anymore, but what does this mean for Kids Days? Are they still around?

I was wondering the same thing----my kids really enjoy all the kid-themed activities and entertainment for those games, this is a great move no matter what but if it has to come at the expense of kids days that takes it down a notch for me

SOXSINCE'70
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM

I concur.:cool: 1:05 is a great starting time.

ChiSoxGirl
11-15-2012, 08:43 PM

I love the reduced parking rate!

Absolutely! Part of me thinks that one of the reasons for the reduced parking on Sundays (and overall) is because the Red Line will be out of commission for most of next season. Maybe $10 parking on Sundays will entice more people to come out to the ballpark. I know that we'll definitely be driving to the ballpark on Sundays for that price!

SOXSINCE'70
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Sunday Doubleheaders next? I could only wish.

:reinsy:tool
"Who the **** do you think you're kidding?? Owners letting fans in for a natural double header?? What do you think this is,1973??"

gosox41
11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
It's time to can Mullet Night and Elvis Night and Rat Pack Night. They're beyond stale. What's wrong with having a Beatles Night or a Stones Night? Mix it up a little. It doesn't take much creativity.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Maybe the can bring back Rob Gallas. He could perform in his Beatles Tribute band.

Bob

Wedema
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
So the Kids Days and $1 tickets are probably gone. So, if I used to take my daughter and a friend and bought a $40 lower deck ticket it would cost me $42 for all 3 of us. Now, if I want lower deck it will cost me $45 for all three of us. Once again, the Sox are spinning it like it is a great deal but it is actually about the same as the past.

As far as the autographs go, last year 3 of the 5 Kids Day autograph sessions were cancelled due to the heat (May and June) and a slight drizzle in August (even though a bunch of Mariners signed in the drizzle). And, the Fan Appreciation Day autograph session was cancelled because the players did not feel like signing (what I was told at Guest Relations).

voodoochile
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM

Lip

Don't home games start at 2:00 on Sunday's instead of the typical 1:00 for day games?

Maybe I'm having one of my famous voodoo brainfarts or thinking in East coast time since I so often see the times on ESPN.

Edit: Obviously yes I was incorrect. Nevermind. Don't freak out. Voodoo's brain often switches tracks without him being aware of it. Just ignore me...

BainesHOF
11-15-2012, 10:12 PM
[COLOR=seagreen]Maybe the can bring back Rob Gallas. He could perform in his Beatles Tribute band.

Bob

LOL! I actually saw Gallas' Beatles band once by accident at Navy Pier while I was killing time befroe going into the Patti Smith concert there. It was actually okay.

Switching topics, the players need to be kicked in the behind by the Chairman to sign autographs on Kids Days. I don't think they have to like doing it, but they need to do it. I feel sorry for the public relations people for having to deal with the prima donnas in this regard. Just get on the field and sign for a half hour, you big babies!

ChicagoG19
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
So the Kids Days and $1 tickets are probably gone. So, if I used to take my daughter and a friend and bought a $40 lower deck ticket it would cost me $42 for all 3 of us. Now, if I want lower deck it will cost me $45 for all three of us. Once again, the Sox are spinning it like it is a great deal but it is actually about the same as the past.

As far as the autographs go, last year 3 of the 5 Kids Day autograph sessions were cancelled due to the heat (May and June) and a slight drizzle in August (even though a bunch of Mariners signed in the drizzle). And, the Fan Appreciation Day autograph session was cancelled because the players did not feel like signing (what I was told at Guest Relations).

Except that it is now better for those of us who don't have kids. You know we do exist.

voodoochile
11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Except that it is now better for those of us who don't have kids. You know we do exist.

Yeah and now there are $15 and $30 options also. Just because someone isn't interested in those options doesn't mean no one is.

Wedema
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM

I understand that people without kids do exist, but the Sox are billing these days as Family Sundays. Generally, a family means parent(s) with children.

lpneck
11-16-2012, 12:33 PM

No, they are spinning it like it's a great deal because it's a great deal.

I don't disagree that kids' days in the past were pretty good deals as well.

Your case is that it cost you $45 in 2013 vs. $42 last year for 1 adult and 2 kids. Fair enough. Did you drive? Because now you are saving $15 in parking, so your net total is $12 savings.

Even if you didn't drive and you are now paying $3 more than last year's kids days- you have the opportunity to have this value EVERY SUNDAY vs. the 5 kids' days last year. Last year on the 8 other Sundays, your 3 lower deck tickets were costing you $120, not $42.

I often come from out of town on Sunday to go to games. Myself, my wife, my dad, and my 2 kids. Last year, to sit in the lower deck, that was $40 x 3 for adult tickets, $1 x 2 for kids tickets, and $25 parking = $147 (on the Kids' Days- for a regular Sunday game it would be $225.)

This year: $15 x 5 for tickets + $10 parking= $85. That's a difference of $140 off a regular Sunday and $62 off a kids Sunday!

If I wanted to go cheap and sit in the upper deck corners, I can get a family of 5 into the game + parking for $35 total. Plus autographs and the kids get to run the bases.

That is a phenomenal value that is as good as there is anywhere in Major League Baseball.

The White Sox are doing this right, and they deserve nothing but compliments for the revamping of their pricing model.

BainesHOF
11-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Brooks just said on "White Sox Weekly" that announcers will be included in the autograph sessions. Can't wait for Stone to jag kids and send them along their way with a "Well, you're just going to sell it."

Wedema
11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Brooks just said on "White Sox Weekly" that announcers will be included in the autograph sessions. Can't wait for Stone to jag kids and send them along their way with a "Well, you're just going to sell it."

Stone will personalize everything he signs even a baseball card. Thay way it will only be worth $1 instead of $2.

dickallen15
11-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Stone will personalize everything he signs even a baseball card. Thay way it will only be worth $1 instead of $2.

I don't collect autographs but if I did and my intention wasn't to sell it, I would think something personalized is better than just a signature. The people pissed Stone personalized everything must be trying to make money.

Jason82807
11-18-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't collect autographs but if I did and my intention wasn't to sell it, I would think something personalized is better than just a signature. The people pissed Stone personalized everything must be trying to make money.

I would agree on most things, but if he's signing a baseball card, I don't think you'd want the signature and personalized message to take up 90% of the face of the card.

voodoochile
11-18-2012, 10:28 AM
No, they are spinning it like it's a great deal because it's a great deal.

I don't disagree that kids' days in the past were pretty good deals as well.

Your case is that it cost you $45 in 2013 vs. $42 last year for 1 adult and 2 kids. Fair enough. Did you drive? Because now you are saving $15 in parking, so your net total is $12 savings.

Even if you didn't drive and you are now paying $3 more than last year's kids days- you have the opportunity to have this value EVERY SUNDAY vs. the 5 kids' days last year. Last year on the 8 other Sundays, your 3 lower deck tickets were costing you $120, not $42.

I often come from out of town on Sunday to go to games. Myself, my wife, my dad, and my 2 kids. Last year, to sit in the lower deck, that was $40 x 3 for adult tickets, $1 x 2 for kids tickets, and $25 parking = $147 (on the Kids' Days- for a regular Sunday game it would be $225.)

This year: $15 x 5 for tickets + $10 parking= $85. That's a difference of $140 off a regular Sunday and $62 off a kids Sunday!

If I wanted to go cheap and sit in the upper deck corners, I can get a family of 5 into the game + parking for $35 total. Plus autographs and the kids get to run the bases.

That is a phenomenal value that is as good as there is anywhere in Major League Baseball.

The White Sox are doing this right, and they deserve nothing but compliments for the revamping of their pricing model.

*ding ding ding*

Winner winner, chicken dinner...

MrT27
11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Years ago the White Sox use to have Camera Night. You were able to take photos of White Sox players before the game. You were actually able to go on the field where you would take your pictures. It was a nice promotion. I wish they would bring it back.

I asked Brooks this a few years ago because this was my favorite promotion. I believe they said they lost the sponsor (FujiFilm?) for it so they didn't do it anymore.

I understand getting the sponsor $$ but why do they NEED a sponsor for it? All it is is roping off the warning track and having the players walk around.

BainesHOF
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Try again. I'm not talking about him personalizing. I'm talking about him being uncooperative, signing his name largely over his face and just generally being a pompous jerk. Nobody is shelling out serious money to attend Soxfest for a weekend to make money from a Stone autograph. Even if you wanted to, his autograph isn't really worth anything.

nut_stock
11-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I asked Brooks this a few years ago because this was my favorite promotion. I believe they said they lost the sponsor (FujiFilm?) for it so they didn't do it anymore.

I understand getting the sponsor $$ but why do they NEED a sponsor for it? All it is is roping off the warning track and having the players walk around.

That's a shame if the Sox don't do photo night. It used to be sponsored by Fuji in St. Louis too, then Creve Coeur Camera picked it up...and it is always a great promo in St. Lou.

tony1972
11-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Per the White Sox Twitter Feed:

Family Sundays for 13 games in 2013. $15, $10, and $5 tickets in some areas of the park and $10 parking.

Also bringing back letting kids run the bases and autograph sessions.

Kudos White Sox. Kudos.

For as much complaining we (I) do about the White Sox...they do many good things for their fans

Jason82807
11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I just bought a 14-game plan with 12 Sunday games, Opening Day and the Monday Cubs game. Great deal.