PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Rockies Trade?

Viva Magglio
07-29-2002, 12:08 PM
I just heard George Ofman talking about a potential White Sox trade with the Rockies, whom we are play today in the HOF game. I did not catch details. Does anyone know anything?

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Alomar for an A ball pitcher.

HawkDJ
07-29-2002, 12:10 PM
I guess Alomar will be starting for the Rockies today.

Viva Magglio
07-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Does this mean Josh Paul comes back up?

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Does this mean Josh Paul comes back up?

Sadly, I think it does.

basilesox
07-29-2002, 03:54 PM
This doesn't make sense. Why would Colorado trade for a washed up over the hill catcher, when they are out of the race? I believe this is the last year of his contract, so it makes no sense. I could see if they were in the race or something. I also heard they are particularly deep in catchers........This soulds like crap to me.

Daver
07-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by basilesox
This soulds like crap to me.

Or not....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0729/1411349.html

rmusacch
07-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by basilesox
This doesn't make sense. Why would Colorado trade for a washed up over the hill catcher, when they are out of the race? I believe this is the last year of his contract, so it makes no sense. I could see if they were in the race or something. I also heard they are particularly deep in catchers........This soulds like crap to me.

They are picking up the entire remaining contract. Williams said that Paul and Crede will come up and Crede and Rowand will play every day.

soxtalker
07-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

They are picking up the entire remaining contract.

So, the Sox pay his salary for the rest of the year (which is the length of his contract). The Sox get a minor league pitcher in return for essentially "lending" Colorado Alomar for the rest of the year.

Colorado is, for all practical purposes, out of the race. According to the ESPN article, their motivation is that one of their catchers went down for the remainder of the year.

It still sounds like it is a stretch that Colorado needed to make this deal. I wonder if teams are also playing around with their 40-man roster to minimize the effects of a possible strike. Now that we've dealt three veterans for minor leaguers, how has our 40-man roster changed?

Daver
07-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

It still sounds like it is a stretch that Colorado needed to make this deal. I wonder if teams are also playing around with their 40-man roster to minimize the effects of a possible strike. Now that we've dealt three veterans for minor leaguers, how has our 40-man roster changed?

Diaz and Adkins have been added to the forty man roster.

Randar68
07-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by daver

Diaz and Adkins have been added to the forty man roster.

I am surprised they added Diaz to the 40-man...

Daver
07-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I am surprised they added Diaz to the 40-man...

I would have to check how long he has been in the Giants organization,but it may have been done because of rule 5 implications.

Randar68
07-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would have to check how long he has been in the Giants organization,but it may have been done because of rule 5 implications.

He was signed in 1998. Don't think it was necessary unless SF had him on the 40-man at some previous point.