3. Carlos Sanchez
4. Erik Johnson
5. Keenyn Walker
6. Scott Snodgress
7. Andre Rienzo
8. Keon Barnum
9. Jared Mitchell
10. Chris Beck

Surprisingly I am line with this more than MLB's.

DonnieDarko
11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Adding BA's top 10 just released this morning:

1. Courtney Hawkins
2. Trayce Thompson
3. Carlos Sanchez
4. Erik Johnson
5. Keenyn Walker
6. Scott Snodgress
7. Andre Rienzo
8. Keon Barnum
9. Jared Mitchell
10. Chris Beck

Surprisingly I am line with this more than MLB's.

Sanchez is the good hitting 2B prospect, right? Can he play 3B? Does he have the arm for it? >_>

Golden Sox
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Prospects are just that, prospects. You don't know how they are going to perform at the major league level. Years ago most of the White Sox scouts thought Jeff Abbott was going to be a better player than Maggs Ordenez. It didn't quite turn out that way. I saw that the bad guys on the Northside have Brett Jackson ranked in the top 100 prospects. Does anybody think he's going to anything else but a utility player? I heard Mark Gonzales on the Score the other day saying that Thompson is a star of the future for the White Sox. We'll have to wait and see.

Domeshot17
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Still pretty sad that years of missing the playoffs have not produced top 100 calibur prospects (although yes, Sale would be a top 20 prospect had he ever, well, been in the minors haha).

Hopefully Kenny as president and focusing on scouting/development can lead to the farm turning it around, but overall still pretty disappointing and no one that is REALLY EXCITING down there.

doublem23
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I felt the BA list deserved it's own thread. Very nice rankings, IMO. Still have a huge man crush on Reinzo.

Here's the list from BA if anyone out there actually wants to read something written by Phil Rogers: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614305.html

Good write-up from the guys at South Side Sox on the list: http://www.southsidesox.com/minors/2012/11/12/3635240/baseball-americas-top-ten-white-sox-prospects

For comparison's sake, here's last year's list:

1. Reed
2. Nestor Molina
3. Simon Castro
4. Trayce Thompson
5. Jake Petricka
6. Keenyn Walker
7. Jhan Marinez
8. Tyler Saladino
9. Juan Silverio
10. Ozzie Marinez

Major step in the right direction.

rdivaldi
11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

1. Reed
2. Nestor Molina
3. Simon Castro
4. Trayce Thompson
5. Jake Petricka
6. Keenyn Walker
7. Jhan Marinez
8. Tyler Saladino
9. Juan Silverio
10. Ozzie Marinez

I very much agree that this year's top 10 is a "major step". There many more names that could be impact players at the major league level.

doublem23
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I very much agree that this year's top 10 is a "major step". There many more names that could be impact players at the major league level.

You know you're in trouble when 2 of your Top 10 were acquired for a manager

rdivaldi
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I heard Mark Gonzales on the Score the other day saying that Thompson is a star of the future for the White Sox. We'll have to wait and see.

Thompson is a "high ceiling" prospect for sure. Runs well, plays solid defense and has impressive power. But will he learn to make contact with the ball on a more consistent basis? That's a huge question mark for him.

SoxSpeed22
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
At least the farm system has shown improvement and these CBA changes have actually helped us with drafting. They are actually getting some decent talent in the early rounds instead of the cheapest. Marco Paddy has also helped with improving the international side of things, but there is still a lot of damage that needs to be repaired. I would still like to see some more money invested in scouting, but at least it looks better.

Domeshot17
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
It will be interesting to see where we stand when Organizational rankings come out. Still fear that farm is bottom 5. Some depth, but not a ton of prospects who really have all-star potential. Hawkins is about it, unless you believe in Thompson. Just have seen this type of player fail for the White Sox too many times to trust him, but I would love to be wrong.

floridafan
11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
It was nice for me to see Eric Grabe listed as the Best Defensive Player for the Sox in the 2012 Draft. Once they begin to see his Bat, which is his best tool, perhaps he will get his shot!

Hitmen77
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
I felt the BA list deserved it's own thread. Very nice rankings, IMO. Still have a huge man crush on Reinzo.

Here's the list from BA if anyone out there actually wants to read something written by Phil Rogers: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614305.html

Good write-up from the guys at South Side Sox on the list: http://www.southsidesox.com/minors/2012/11/12/3635240/baseball-americas-top-ten-white-sox-prospects

1. Reed
2. Nestor Molina
3. Simon Castro
4. Trayce Thompson
5. Jake Petricka
6. Keenyn Walker
7. Jhan Marinez
8. Tyler Saladino
9. Juan Silverio
10. Ozzie Marinez

What happened to Nestor Molina? I see that he's dropped out of the Sox top 10.

SI1020
11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Trayce Thompson is the son of former NBA player Mychal Thompson, who had a pretty successful career. Andre Rienzo is from Brazil of all places. Will that be the next untapped market? Everybody can't play soccer there.

Domeshot17
11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Trayce Thompson is the son of former NBA player Mychal Thompson, who had a pretty successful career. Andre Rienzo is from Brazil of all places. Will that be the next untapped market? Everybody can't play soccer there.

Unlikely, I remember reading about Rienzo earlier in the year talking about how baseball in Brazil is almost completely dead. He wants to make it big to try and revitalize it.

DSpivack
11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Unlikely, I remember reading about Rienzo earlier in the year talking about how baseball in Brazil is almost completely dead. He wants to make it big to try and revitalize it.

Is Paolo Orlando still around? I remember him as a Sox OF for a time, last I remember he was in the Royals organization.

rdivaldi
11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
What happened to Nestor Molina? I see that he's dropped out of the Sox top 10.

He really struggled this year. Some of suggested that it was due to him not being completely healthy. Others think that 2011 was just a huge fluke and his potential lies closer to his numbers in 2012. I'm hoping for the former, because he really regressed last year.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
It will be interesting to see where we stand when Organizational rankings come out. Still fear that farm is bottom 5. Some depth, but not a ton of prospects who really have all-star potential. Hawkins is about it, unless you believe in Thompson. Just have seen this type of player fail for the White Sox too many times to trust him, but I would love to be wrong.

It's hard not to get excited about Sanchez. He's just 20 and hits well from both sides of the plate, has speed, and plate discipline by all reports.

doublem23
11-13-2012, 12:29 PM

I don't think there's any question the Sox are going to come in dead last again.

mzh
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think there's any question the Sox are going to come in dead last again.
Not something to be proud of, but even though they couldn't seal the deal in September, I think the 2012 team proved how little that actually means.

rdivaldi
11-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Why? They had great success promoting some young players to the majors this season, had some impressive jumps through the minors, and had a very productive draft. I'm expecting lower third, but last would be a shock to me.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Why? They had great success promoting some young players to the majors this season, had some impressive jumps through the minors, and had a very productive draft. I'm expecting lower third, but last would be a shock to me.

Just because they promoted a bunch of guys to the majors, does not mean their farm system is very good. Brian Omogrosso, Deunte Heath, Jhan Marinez, and Leyson Septimo are nothing to write home about. Plus not to mention, the greatest call-up of the year, being Jose Quintana, is not a homegrown prospect. Sox signed him in the offseason from the Yankees organization. The Sox don't have many guys that are A list prospects and haven't produced many impact players. I think they are a step in the right direction though, and are still better than they were last year, but I'd still rank them last.

SoxSpeed22
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't think homegrown really matters. I'm sure no Cub fans were complaining about Anthony Rizzo not being homegrown. Just as long as they're part of the system. Keep in mind there were also 9 rookies on the team last year, so they did get something out of the farm system. Depth is not something you can fix within a few years, but they are going the right way.

sunofgold
08-05-2013, 10:09 AM
He is moving up. He has to be #1 (#2 if you want to count Garcia) look forward to his callup to the bigs.

PorkChopExpress
08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
He is moving up. He has to be #1 (#2 if you want to count Garcia) look forward to his callup to the bigs.

Not that I know anything about him, or prospects in general, but you would think as he gets promoted to higher levels, his numbers might dip a bit with the increased talent he should be facing. However, his numbers seem to get better as he rises through the system. That's got to be a good sign.

russ99
08-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Jared Mitchell has to have fallen off our prospect lists, he's had a really poor season.

sullythered
08-11-2013, 01:18 AM

Why is Marcus Semien not considered our top hitting prospect, at this point?

soxfanreggie
08-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Not that I know anything about him, or prospects in general, but you would think as he gets promoted to higher levels, his numbers might dip a bit with the increased talent he should be facing. However, his numbers seem to get better as he rises through the system. That's got to be a good sign.

You're right that the talent of hitters is better. My hope with Johnson is that we'll continue to see him develop and refine his game so that the strides he makes exceeds the quality of hitting he faces.

doublem23
08-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Lower ceiling, Semien looks like he could be a potentially nice everyday player but Hawkins remains the Sox's lone true impact bat in the minors (now that Garcia is in the bigs). I know he struggled a lot this year, but it was a very aggressive placement for a 19-year-old whose still barely a year removed from high school. More often than not scouts will grade prospects on how high they can fly. Hawkins (and maybe even Thompson and Anderson) at this point, still beat Semien in that regard.

sullythered
08-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Lower ceiling, Semien looks like he could be a potentially nice everyday player but Hawkins remains the Sox's lone true impact bat in the minors (now that Garcia is in the bigs). I know he struggled a lot this year, but it was a very aggressive placement for a 19-year-old whose still barely a year removed from high school. More often than not scouts will grade prospects on how high they can fly. Hawkins (and maybe even Thompson and Anderson) at this point, still beat Semien in that regard.

But Semien's performance (even for his age/level) has far exceded anybody else in the system. Is it just based on old school eye test stuff? Because Semien seems to be performing in every area that Sox prospect hitters falter.

doublem23
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
But Semien's performance (even for his age/level) has far exceded anybody else in the system. Is it just based on old school eye test stuff? Because Semien seems to be performing in every area that Sox prospect hitters falter.

That's certainly part of it, as well. As excited as I am about how well he has played, the list of unremarkable college hitters who excelled in the minors but didn't pan out in the Majors is probably hundreds of miles long.

TaylorStSox
08-12-2013, 02:08 PM

This list is 9 months old. When the new one comes out, Semien will be number 2 and the top position prospect.