PDA

View Full Version : Brent Morel

shingo10
11-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I've been trying to find clarification of this so hopefully someone will know...Is Brent Morel still with the White Sox? I don't see his name being mentioned at all for a potential third base candidate yet I haven't heard about him being released.

#1swisher
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
His twitter account says: White Sox 3B, and his last post was 3 hrs ago.

@Bmorel_22 (https://twitter.com/Bmorel_22)

anewman35
11-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Possibly nobody is mentioning him because he's not very good?

WLL1855
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I ask this with all sincerity. What's the best case outcome for this guy? I'm thinking he's bench depth at most.

Noneck
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I dont remember the Sox giving the public the diagnosis on his back problems, so no need to even guess about his future until that is known.

shingo10
11-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I ask this with all sincerity. What's the best case outcome for this guy? I'm thinking he's bench depth at most.

He was labeled as having above average defense when he came up. Last year we didn't get a fair read on him I don't think because of his back but I would certainly welcome him at 3rd over the Tank...

DumpJerry
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM
He's on the 40 man roster. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws)

doublem23
11-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Morel was, at best, a pretty marginal prospect. He always hit kind of nice in the minors but he never hit for much power, and I'm not saying every minor league player has to be a masher to have success in the big leagues, but unless you have BLAZING speed, you're going to need to drive the ball a little bit in the Majors; the seeing eye singles through the IF or the ground balls you beat out just are not there. Too many good defensive IF at this level. Tony Campana, on the Cubs, can't hold a roster spot because even though he's arguably one of the 2-3 fastest players in baseball, he can't get on base more than 30% of the time because he has absolutely zero pop in his bat.

Anyways, all that said back to Morel, looks like he's got organizational depth, AAAA player written all over him. Maybe on a real explosive offense, you might be able to find semi-regular playing time for him because he is a pretty good 3B but you really need to be able to hide his bat. And this assumes that whatever back problems he has clear up, if not, I don't see how much of an impact he can make on even an average team.

amsteel
11-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I ask this with all sincerity. What's the best case outcome for this guy?

He can tell his grand kids one day he once played professional baseball

JB98
11-12-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't think that back problem is going away. Even when healthy, he didn't show much with the bat. He can't be counted on. The Sox need to go in a different direction at 3B.

SoxSpeed22
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Morel was already a fringe starter when he came up. Now with this back issue, which is almost a death sentence for a third baseman, I don't think he can be counted on. As long as Rick has a backup plan.

CoopaLoop
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Why are people so obsessed with this guy? He is never going to start here again.

Falstaff
11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Why are people so obsessed with this guy? He is never going to start here again.

Actually I was wondering if Morel hisself started this thread as a way to test the waters and get a sense of where he stands, also to remind fans that he still exists and had been the starter at 3rd out of ST last year. I think he had his cup of coffee and some unfortunate back probs and next stop is get teaching credential, work at a high school.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Coopaloopa:

Considering the Sox have nothing at this moment in time other than Moreal to try to play the position (they aren't going to re-sign Youk...) it's understandable that some fans might want an update on his back issues.

Lip

russ99
11-14-2012, 08:50 AM
IMO, the injury sapped him of a decent shot to hold down the position.

If he is able to get healthy again (a major grey area when it comes to back injuries), I don't see how he can't be the same player he was before this season, a project 3B who could pay off down the road - admittedly that's a pretty big if...

But this lineup doesn't need another project or flawed hitter.

If the salary space doesn't allow for Youkilis to come back, they could bring in Placido Polanco in fairly cheap as a one-year stopgap.

Chez
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Coopaloopa:

Considering the Sox have nothing at this moment in time other than Moreal to try to play the position (they aren't going to re-sign Youk...) it's understandable that some fans might want an update on his back issues.

Lip

My prediction, for better or worse, is that Viciedo will open the season at third.

Daver
11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
My prediction, for better or worse, is that Viciedo will open the season at third.

That is a downright scary thought.

doublem23
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Is there any actual reason people seem to think this is what the Sox are planning

Chez
11-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Is there any actual reason people seem to think this is what the Sox are planning

I don't think that as of November 14, this is what the team is planning or wants. But if Youkilis signs elsewhere (which is certainly a real possibility) and the team isn't able to trade for a third baseman, the options seem to be Morel, Sanchez or Viciedo. Sanchez seems like a reach to be the opening day third baseman. Morel is, well, Morel and if the bottom third of the order is Flowers-Beckham-Morel, God help us all.

I think it is generally easier to trade for or sign a decent leftfielder than third baseman -- especially if that leftfielder is seen as only a temporary fix until the young outfielders in the Sox system (e.g. Thompson, Hawkins, Mitchell) are major league ready.

Rick Hahn has already said he would consider Viciedo at third for next season, so I don't think it's implausible that he might open the season there. No one will ever confuse Viciedo for Brooks Robinson, but the Sox have a long and tortured history of playing people out of position (Hudson at 3B, Beckham at 3B, Swisher in CF, Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Valentin in CF, Valentin at 3B, Fisk in LF, Santo at 2B etc.) So that's the basis for my prediction. It's not what I'm hoping for, but it's what I think will happen.

ViPeRx007
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
He's pretty good in MLB The Show '12. In my season he's hitting like .270, 24 HR, 78 RBI with a week to go in the regular season.

Yep...

Tragg
11-15-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't think that as of November 14, this is what the team is planning or wants. But if Youkilis signs elsewhere (which is certainly a real possibility) and the team isn't able to trade for a third baseman, the options seem to be Morel, Sanchez or Viciedo. Sanchez seems like a reach to be the opening day third baseman. Morel is, well, Morel and if the bottom third of the order is Flowers-Beckham-Morel, God help us all.

I think it is generally easier to trade for or sign a decent leftfielder than third baseman -- especially if that leftfielder is seen as only a temporary fix until the young outfielders in the Sox system (e.g. Thompson, Hawkins, Mitchell) are major league ready.

Rick Hahn has already said he would consider Viciedo at third for next season, so I don't think it's implausible that he might open the season there. No one will ever confuse Viciedo for Brooks Robinson, but the Sox have a long and tortured history of playing people out of position (Hudson at 3B, Beckham at 3B, Swisher in CF, Mackowiak in CF, Ozuna in LF, Valentin in CF, Valentin at 3B, Fisk in LF, Santo at 2B etc.) So that's the basis for my prediction. It's not what I'm hoping for, but it's what I think will happen.

This is why I say Beckham. It should be relatively easy to find a respectable second baseman...certainly easier (at least for us, historically) than a third baseman.

Domeshot17
11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
This is why I say Beckham. It should be relatively easy to find a respectable second baseman...certainly easier (at least for us, historically) than a third baseman.

In a perfect world we have a new 3b and a new 2b.... gordon is not a respectable second baseman really, so he is even worse at 3rd...

shingo10
11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
In a perfect world we have a new 3b and a new 2b.... gordon is not a respectable second baseman really, so he is even worse at 3rd...

Disagree with this. Beckham is definitely not a great hitter yet but his defense at second base has been superb. Its the only thing keeping him here.

Lip Man 1
11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Hahn tonight told Gonzo they have basically ruled out Dayan or Dan Johnson playing 3rd base. Looking more and more like the options are either:

* re-signing Youk
* Morel
* trade for 3rd baseman

In no particular order.

Lip

russ99
11-15-2012, 11:23 PM

Acquiring something decent for Beckham needs to go down first, IMO as his value continues to go down and his salary is starting to creep up.

As for a respectable 2B, Jeff Keppinger is a FA, and he made $1.5M last year and $2.3M two years ago, hitting .325/.367/.439 last year for the Rays, though he's considered an average to below average fielder.

Morel shouldn't be an option at 3B until we know his back is relatively healthy.

I also think Floyd may be moved for either a catcher or 3B + prospects.

Guess we have to wait on Youk's decision first...

Bucky F. Dent
11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
How expensive would it be to get David Wright out of Gotham?

WLL1855
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
How expensive would it be to get David Wright out of Gotham?

Nearly impossible.

BainesHOF
11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
You can never count on a third baseman with a bad back.

The Opening Day third baseman has yet to be acquired.

Falstaff
11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Hahn tonight told Gonzo they have basically ruled out Dayan or Dan Johnson playing 3rd base. Looking more and more like the options are either:

* re-signing Youk
* Morel
* trade for 3rd baseman

In no particular order.

Lip

Yes the white sox need to focus on a player with bat of Melton, hands of Crede, clutch of Ventura. Tall order. I am tired of them dinking around with this position ever since Joe C back blew out. Lets find a legitimate franchise player ie Carl Yastrzemski and do what it takes. Also players should be using massage w oil o'wintergreen; stay loose during the season, we got the horses to do this.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM
For the first time that I know of, Gonzo reported tonight from the winter meetings that Morel had in fact a bulging disc in his lower back last year and not a "lower back strain" that the Sox were claiming.

As someone who has a bulging disc in the lower back I honestly don't know how they think he can go out there and play every day even with the best training and rehab in the world. You simply can't take that kind of punishment.

Lip

DumpJerry
12-04-2012, 10:14 PM
For the first time that I know of, Gonzo reported tonight from the winter meetings that Morel had in fact a bulging disc in his lower back last year and not a "lower back strain" that the Sox were claiming.

As someone who has a bulging disc in the lower back I honestly don't know how they think he can go out there and play every day even with the best training and rehab in the world. You simply can't take that kind of punishment.

Lip
It was reported at the time he went down that he had a bulging disc in his back.

Lip Man 1
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Dump:

Everything I saw when it happened said it was a "lower back strain". I remember writing here at WSI in a thread that to the best of my knowledge nobody every got a steroid shot in the lower back for a strain.

Others echoed the same thing at the time so I assume they saw/ read the same thing.

Maybe the Sox changed that statement over the summer but I never saw it.

Lip