PDA

View Full Version : Dump Carlos Lee? I think not....

Tragg
07-29-2002, 10:06 AM
He's young, relatively inexpensive and having a solid second half, especially in the batting eye department. And he's getting better out there.

On the other hand, who do we have to replace him? Borchard is the only minor league outfielder close to major league ready. Considering how unproductive liefer and rowand were until recently, if we had anything they'd have gone down and whatever would have come up.

No, we need Carlos and he isn't some throw away player.

On another subject, the Tribe getting one top prospect and a decent second prospect for a middle reliever should ensure that we get fair return for Foulke if Boston wants him - like one of their 2 top pitching prospects Song or Fossum.
Howry should bring some value, too, although SF can keep Hernandez.

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2002, 10:27 AM
Well, I don't think you ever "dump" Carlos. Also, at this point in the season we will never receive good value for him. The best approach is to wait until spring training. At that point the Sox can evaluate whether it is Borchard time or not. If it is Borchard time, a deal can be made and we can plug up a whole (starting pitching will be a problem again next year).

Carlos is a legitimate young player in this league. He has a good attitutde, makes little money and produces. I expect his numbers to be very good next year. I have no problems if he is on this team next year. However, I think he will be our best bargaining chip in next years search for a veteran starter.

guillen4life13
07-29-2002, 10:33 AM
34 inch stick... we have ken williams as our gm.

that worries me a lot, because we might not be able to get too much for foulke. other gm's already know that kw is pretty... stupid. they'll mess him up real nicely

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2002, 10:41 AM
Maybe we can beg for mercy from the Pirates and get Giles for Lee.

Tragg
07-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
At that point the Sox can evaluate whether it is Borchard time or not. If it is Borchard time, a deal can be made and we can plug up a whole (starting pitching will be a problem again next year).

Carlos is a legitimate young player in this league. He has a good attitutde, makes little money and produces. I expect his numbers to be very good next year. I have no problems if he is on this team next year. However, I think he will be our best bargaining chip in next years search for a veteran starter.

Good points, although I really don't see the depth to trade him for a starter. Even if borchard is ready, who plays left (or center). Rowand? Carlos is a much better hitter. And with Frank's situation tenuous, we need some DH help (hopefuly Frank will restructure or something). it would be nice to nab trot nixon, a lefty with good obp from boston somehow.