PDA

View Full Version : Hahn: I want Youkilis, AJ and Myers back in 2013

DumpJerry
10-31-2012, 01:20 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/quick-hits-rockies-peavy-dbacks.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

thomas35forever
10-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Get it done, Rick. If just one, make it AJ.

Chez
10-31-2012, 08:52 AM
With Peavy and Floyd back, I don't think there is any way Myers comes back. If Floyd is traded, maybe bring Myers back as 4th or 5th starter (if Myers is willing to sign a one year deal -- highly unlikely). The Sox already have Reed, Jones and Crain under contract as righties in the bullpen.

Youkilis isn't worth signing to more than a one year deal and he's likely not interested in that. Seems like he's headed to the west coast (Oakland?) and we hit the re-set button on the Brent Morel era OR move The Tank back to third, sign a FA to play left for a year until our outfield prospects are ready.

A.J.? Would love to see him back for two years, but I think other teams (e.g. NYY) will offer him a three year deal. I think A.J. only comes back if he's prepared to give the Sox a steep home-town discount or JR swoops in at the last minute like he did with Paulie. A.J. seemingly likes playing on the South Side so I suppose it's possible he's back in 2013 -- though unlikely.

34 Inch Stick
10-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't picture AJ as the sentimental type who believes in hometown discounts. I don't blame him. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone throw $24 million for three years at him. I wouldn't want it to be the Sox.

guillensdisciple
10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
You want the same team that did not make the playoffs?

doublem23
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Youkilis isn't worth signing to more than a one year deal and he's likely not interested in that. Seems like he's headed to the west coast (Oakland?) and we hit the re-set button on the Brent Morel era OR move The Tank back to third, sign a FA to play left for a year until our outfield prospects are ready.

A.J.? Would love to see him back for two years, but I think other teams (e.g. NYY) will offer him a three year deal. I think A.J. only comes back if he's prepared to give the Sox a steep home-town discount or JR swoops in at the last minute like he did with Paulie. A.J. seemingly likes playing on the South Side so I suppose it's possible he's back in 2013 -- though unlikely.

This is exactly how I feel, I'm perfectly fine with another summer of AJ and Youk if they're willing to sign some team-friendly deals, if not, thanks for everything and we'll just have to move on. Unless Hahn has figured out a way to talk JR into opening the checkbook even more than his predecessor.

Tragg
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
you want the same team that did not make the playoffs?

+1

Noneck
10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

They were close, maybe adding a few quality bench players, the maturing of some of the kids, and then again maybe not. But whats the choice at this time? The Sox dont have many trade chips and I dont see them going deep into the free agent market. The minors are bare in position players for next year. And god forbid a nuclear blow up.

Dibbs
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM

Not even the same team considering most of the best players are aging, and now a year older. I guess you could say a couple of the young guys could improve, and hopefully Danks gets back on track.

I'm just hoping some moves are made besides bringing back the same guys.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
You want the same team that did not make the playoffs?That's a silly point of view. That only applies if they are bringing back bad players who caused them to miss the playoffs, and passing over better options to keep them. Who available is better than AJ? I mean, if you really believe in Flowers and think they need to hand the reins to him, that is a valid view, but AJ is by far the best catcher available on the market. Myers did a pretty good job in his time with the Sox, but they could probably find someone cheaper who did the same. Who is readily available and an upgrade over Youkilis next year? Or do you think they should go with Morel just because they didn't win the division?

TaylorStSox
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't get the love for Youk. He's fragile, bad defensively, can't run the bases and is walk/HR or nothing.

We all know how I feel about AJ.

hdog1017
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I'd like to have AJ and Youk back, but I don't see how its going to work financially. Somebody is going to throw some stupid money at AJ, making it dumb to bring him back at huge money for at least 2 years, most likely 3.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
That's a silly point of view. That only applies if they are bringing back bad players who caused them to miss the playoffs, and passing over better options to keep them. Who available is better than AJ? I mean, if you really believe in Flowers and think they need to hand the reins to him, that is a valid view, but AJ is by far the best catcher available on the market. Myers did a pretty good job in his time with the Sox, but they could probably find someone cheaper who did the same. Who is readily available and an upgrade over Youkilis next year? Or do you think they should go with Morel just because they didn't win the division?

Yes. First off, the Sox should hopefully get more production from Danks this year. Second, they need to only make up 3 games on Detroit, it's not like we're bringing back a team that's lost 95+ games the last few years. The Sox's biggest problem this year was their complete lack of depth that ultimately exposed the team's age at the end of the season. Add a nice bench bat or two that can spell some of these guys every now and then should be enough to really compete with all the Tigers' firepower.

I'd like to have AJ and Youk back, but I don't see how its going to work financially. Somebody is going to throw some stupid money at AJ, making it dumb to bring him back at huge money for at least 2 years, most likely 3.

The Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with AJ and the rest of their own FA until Friday, so I believe that's their only chance to retain him. If they allow him into the open FA market, he's going to have someone throw an idiotic amount of money at him. But if the Sox can hammer out a deal everyone thinks is fair in the next 48 hours, maybe he'll be back.

DumpJerry
10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Huh?

One of main reasons we did not make the postseason was that Quintana and Sale were pitching into uncharted territory for them from mid August to the end. This coming year they will be in better shape for the stretch run now that they know what it is like to get to 180+ innings. On the Score last night, Coop said that next year we will see an unleashed Sale with no limits on his pitch count or innings.

Yes, the hitting could have been more timely in the last five weeks or so, but I think it was a matter fatigue more than anything else that killed it.

DrCrawdad
10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Youk? Good-bye.
AJ? Sign him.
Myers? Sign him, if feasible.

Zisk77
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Somebody get traded. At least that what someone on the score said Hahn mentioned when Peavey was signed. Dunn maybe? Back to the national league...San Fran maybe? It could be a Johnson/Konerko dh/1b time share.

Foulke You
10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
He's fragile,
This is true

bad defensively, can't run the bases and is walk/HR or nothing.
Defense is solid when he is healthy. When that knee degraded on him this year, he had the range of a parked car.

and is walk/HR or nothing.
I disagree here. He gives quality ABs and sees a ton of pitches. Fouls off lots of tough pitcher's pitches and in general is a very tough out. He had over 100 hits and 15 doubles so they weren't all HRs.

Youk makes a solid addition to the Sox lineup but I would only want him on a short term contract. Given the ridiculously thin FA market on 3B, Youk will likely garner a larger offer than the Sox are willing to give which would be ok with me. I'd like Youk back but not with a foolish contract.

TaylorStSox
10-31-2012, 12:32 PM
This is true

Defense is solid when he is healthy. When that knee degraded on him this year, he had the range of a parked car.

I disagree here. He gives quality ABs and sees a ton of pitches. Fouls off lots of tough pitcher's pitches and in general is a very tough out. He had over 100 hits and 15 doubles so they weren't all HRs.

Youk makes a solid addition to the Sox lineup but I would only want him on a short term contract. Given the ridiculously thin FA market on 3B, Youk will likely garner a larger offer than the Sox are willing to give which would be ok with me. I'd like Youk back but not with a foolish contract.

He does give you good at bats. I don't believe he'll ever be healthy. He's not that old, but broken, and frankly, fat. I'd rather have a guy who hits for average, runs the bases well and can really pick it. That guy might not exist, but at the price, I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.Ridiculous hyperbole.

TaylorStSox
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Ridiculous hyperbole.

On a sports message board? Shocking. Truly shocking.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Out of those three, I'd only prefer to have A.J. back, and that's only because I don't trust Flowers in a starting role. Pierzynski should command a lot of $ though. I feel like it's going to be Buehrle all over again. Youk is going to break down at some point next year. Only logical way to bring him back is if the DH was an open spot so he could switch back and forth, and that can't happen with PK and Dunn.

Frater Perdurabo
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
If the Sox had a bigger payroll, I would be fine with keeping Youkilis as a utility player, who could play first, third and DH, could pinch hit, and could give Robin flexibility to pinch run for Paulie and Dunn late in tie games.

DSpivack
10-31-2012, 02:09 PM
If the Sox had a bigger payroll, I would be fine with keeping Youkilis as a utility player, who could play first, third and DH, could pinch hit, and could give Robin flexibility to pinch run for Paulie and Dunn late in tie games.

If Floyd isn't traded for a 3B, I wouldn't be surprised to see Youk back. I don't know what free agent 3b could put up decent numbers as Youk did (.230/.340/.430, IIRC) at a reasonable price.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM
The question is what is "reasonable" for Youk and what is "reasonable" for the Sox.

Lip

TheVulture
10-31-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not big on bringing Youk back either, but compared to what the Sox were putting out there at third prior to his acquisition, Youkilis this year was George Brett. The idea to move Viciedo to third sounds horrible to me. If his future is at third, he should have not been moved to the OF in the first place. I'd rather let Morel and Sanchez battle it out and leave a fine LFer where he belongs.

Foulke You
10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
He does give you good at bats. I don't believe he'll ever be healthy. He's not that old, but broken, and frankly, fat. I'd rather have a guy who hits for average, runs the bases well and can really pick it. That guy might not exist, but at the price, I'd rather you or me at the hot corner over Youk.
3B is really becoming one of the tougher positions to fill these days. There just aren't a lot of quality guys available at the hot corner. The really good ones like Evan Longoria, David Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, etc. are all likely staying put. For me, I just want a guy who is decent on defense who provides a little pop in the lineup because 3B is traditionally a power position. Until Youk arrived, our 3B power production was laughable.

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
On a sports message board? Shocking. Truly shocking.That makes it no less ridiculous. Being on the internet doesn't require everything be grossly overstated to make your point.

TheOldRoman
10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
That makes it no less ridiculous. Being on the internet doesn't require everything be grossly overstated to make your point.This is literally the most truthful statement I have ever heard.

TaylorStSox
10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
That makes it no less ridiculous. Being on the internet doesn't require everything be grossly overstated to make your point.

Why do you care? He knew what I was communicating. Sure, it was hyperbole. It was intended to have a bit of humor too. Lighten up.

TDog
10-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Somebody get traded. At least that what someone on the score said Hahn mentioned when Peavey was signed. Dunn maybe? Back to the national league...San Fran maybe? It could be a Johnson/Konerko dh/1b time share.

I would love to see Dunn traded, and expect to be attacked for expressing as much. I think Dunn hitting .300, though, is a more likely future event than Dunn being traded to the Giants. (The Giants, being free of the albatross $10 million Aubrey Huff contract signed in the post-2010 championship euphoria, are not going to deal for Adam Dunn.) Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maytbe tGiants management belives they could have won the NL West and World Series this year if they found more home runs and more strikeouts in their lineup.

The only team I could see Dunn going to would be the Yankees, with their shallow right field and deep pockets. I really wouldn't mind a Dunn-for-Alex Rodrieguez swap if the Yankees made it financially attractive to the White Sox, which is probably unlikely. Rodriguez would probably be better at third than Youkilis was for the White Sox in 2012. Youkilis' production for the White Sox fell off after the All-Star break. He compared well to Hudson, who comared well to Morel, but looking for a third baseman in trade seems a bigger gamble than picking up the Youkilis option.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
How about Dunn for Nate Schierholtz?

Sorry I couldn't help it...:D:

Lip

TDog
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
How about Dunn for Nate Schierholtz?

Sorry I couldn't help it...:D:

Lip

Even up, swapping player and contracts, I think that would be a steal for the White Sox, although they no longer need a rightfielder.

Zisk77
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
I would love to see Dunn traded, and expect to be attacked for expressing as much. I think Dunn hitting .300, though, is a more likely future event than Dunn being traded to the Giants. (The Giants, being free of the albatross $10 million Aubrey Huff contract signed in the post-2010 championship euphoria, are not going to deal for Adam Dunn.) Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maytbe tGiants management belives they could have won the NL West and World Series this year if they found more home runs and more strikeouts in their lineup.

The only team I could see Dunn going to would be the Yankees, with their shallow right field and deep pockets. I really wouldn't mind a Dunn-for-Alex Rodrieguez swap if the Yankees made it financially attractive to the White Sox, which is probably unlikely. Rodriguez would probably be better at third than Youkilis was for the White Sox in 2012. Youkilis' production for the White Sox fell off after the All-Star break. He compared well to Hudson, who comared well to Morel, but looking for a third baseman in trade seems a bigger gamble than picking up the Youkilis option.

Your prolly right with respect to giants payroll, I'm not familar with it just speculating based on the giants always wanting to add a bat or three every year (the tried for Soriano this year).

If Youk isn't re-signed I like the idea of Maicer Izturis.I know he isn't the prototype 3b. But I don't think he would be cost prohibitive. He would be an ideal 2 hitter and a switch hitter to boot. I know he lacks power, but are team certaintly doesn't.

A. Cavatica
10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
On a sports message board? Shocking. Truly shocking.

Worst. Hyperbole. Ever.

Tragg
10-31-2012, 07:17 PM
The Sox need OBP. Dunn and YOuk give us a lot of that.

GABP
10-31-2012, 07:50 PM
The Sox need OBP. Dunn and YOuk give us a lot of that.

Yeah Dunn's .333 OBP is exactly what this team needs

Frater Perdurabo
10-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Even up, swapping player and contracts, I think that would be a steal for the White Sox, although they no longer need a rightfielder.

Stick him in left and have Viciedo DH.

shingo10
10-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Is Brent Morel done with this organization?

CoopaLoop
11-01-2012, 12:48 AM
I for one am shocked he wasn't quoted as saying, "I don't want Youkilis, AJ or Myers back in 2013"

Positively shocked!

CoopaLoop
11-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Is Brent Morel done with this organization?

Hopefully, he isn't any good.

RCWHITESOX
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
This is exactly how I feel, I'm perfectly fine with another summer of AJ and Youk if they're willing to sign some team-friendly deals, if not, thanks for everything and we'll just have to move on. Unless Hahn has figured out a way to talk JR into opening the checkbook even more than his predecessor.

There is no way the Sox are going to consider the Tank at 3B. He is a below average out fielder and would be a poor choice at 3B. I hope the Sox can move Dunn for a 3B or CF maybe a sign and trade with Boston for Ellsbury.

parlaycard
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't get the love for Youk. He's fragile, bad defensively,

He's bad defensively? I dont know what your basis is for this statement, but Kevin Youkilis is a good defensive third baseman.

He has finished 7th and 5th respectively the last 2 years in fielding percentage in MLB the past 2 seasons.

doublem23
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
There is no way the Sox are going to consider the Tank at 3B. He is a below average out fielder and would be a poor choice at 3B. I hope the Sox can move Dunn for a 3B or CF maybe a sign and trade with Boston for Ellsbury.

I don't think Tank's a good option at 3B, but let's be real here, at the very least, he's an average corner outfielder and, depending on how much stock you put into some defensive metrics, one of the best LF in the AL last year.

He's bad defensively? I dont know what your basis is for this statement, but Kevin Youkilis is a good defensive third baseman.

He has finished 7th and 5th respectively the last 2 years in fielding percentage in MLB the past 2 seasons.

Fielding percentage is a roundly awful way to look at a player's defensive capabilities. In terms of Youk, all you need is the eye test; he was fine when he first got to Chicago, but as the season dragged on and his knees wore down, he got worse and worse. I can't remember how many times in the last 2 months of the season someone would hit a ball sharply in the area of 3B and Youkilis just kind of helplessly stood there, unable to make any kind move to the ball. Doesn't get charged with an error (and pad that fielding percentage) but a better defensive 3B may have made some play on some of those balls.

Youkilis is only valuable as long as he's healthy and I'm not sure he's going to be able to play the amount of innings and games to justify the kind of contract offer he might get.

SCCWS
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I think Youk may sign elsewhere if he is offered a 1B position. You have to think if he can find a team he likes that wants him to play first, that may ease some of his injury woes. I don't think he wants to be a DH though so that may not factor in if some team offers him that

doublem23
11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I think Youk may sign elsewhere if he is offered a 1B position. You have to think if he can find a team he likes that wants him to play first, that may ease some of his injury woes. I don't think he wants to be a DH though so that may not factor in if some team offers him that

I think he's going to sign with the team that offers him the best contract

KyWhiSoxFan
11-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Fielding percentage is a roundly awful way to look at a player's defensive capabilities. In terms of Youk, all you need is the eye test; he was fine when he first got to Chicago, but as the season dragged on and his knees wore down, he got worse and worse. I can't remember how many times in the last 2 months of the season someone would hit a ball sharply in the area of 3B and Youkilis just kind of helplessly stood there, unable to make any kind move to the ball. Doesn't get charged with an error (and pad that fielding percentage) but a better defensive 3B may have made some play on some of those balls.

Youkilis is only valuable as long as he's healthy and I'm not sure he's going to be able to play the amount of innings and games to justify the kind of contract offer he might get.

This is right. When Youkilis first came to the Sox, off a bit of rest, He said at the time that he had not felt that good in a long time. And he played great that first month. As the season wore on, though, he wore down. By September he was ineffective at the plate and at bat.

I can't see any reason to bring him back for another year when he is a year older. He's not going to be any better than he was in August or September of this year. It's time to move on a try to fill that position with someone else.

Mohoney
11-06-2012, 12:45 AM
This is right. When Youkilis first came to the Sox, off a bit of rest, He said at the time that he had not felt that good in a long time. And he played great that first month. As the season wore on, though, he wore down. By September he was ineffective at the plate and at bat.

I can't see any reason to bring him back for another year when he is a year older. He's not going to be any better than he was in August or September of this year. It's time to move on a try to fill that position with someone else.

The only way Youk would work out here is if there is a legitimate backup 3B added so that he can get a few outright days off and a few days at DH. The lack of a decent bench is one of the things that caused the September from hell, and Youk was one of the most noticeable guys to go AWOL. I'm willing to chalk it up to a lack of off days and give him a full season here to show what he can do, but his workload needs to be lightened a little bit.

I think that 115-120 games from Youk at 3B, 20 games split between 1B and DH, and 20-25 games off represents the best course of action for filling this position. Every other feasible 3B option that I can think of would definitely be worse. Factoring in OBP sinkholes in Beckham, Alexei, and Viciedo, I think that going back to Morel in 2013 would torpedo any postseason aspirations.