PDA

View Full Version : White Sox exercise Gavin Floyd Club Option

SoxFan49
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox
The #WhiteSox also exercised the 2013 club option on the contract of RHP Gavin Floyd. Floyd will earn a base salary of $9.5 million in 2013

samurai_sox
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Meh, I don't think the Sox would have gotten anything of value if they tried to trade him, so it makes sense to just hang on to him for 1 more year.

CHISOXFAN13
10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
He drives me crazy at times, but Floyd is an innings eater. I'll take that from a fourth starter.

thomas35forever
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Just be consistent, Gavin. That is all.

jshanahanjr
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Prudent move. Now just concentrate on throwing strikes early in the game, and putting guys away when you have them down 0-2 and 1-2.

#1swisher
10-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I think we'll see good stuff from Gavin in '13.

Don Cooper joins @LaurenceWHolmes (https://twitter.com/LaurenceWHolmes) NEXT to discuss Jake Peavy & Gavin Floyd coming back on 670 The Score, http://670thescore.com (http://t.co/QoyEpyVW)

Lip Man 1
10-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I hope so, the Sox need to break this habit they've fallen into of 'good year / bad year' syndrome.

06- winning year
07- losing year
08- winning year
09- losing year
10- winning year
11- losing year
12- winning year
13- ??????????

Lip

TheVulture
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
The good thing about Floyd is that he seems to get stronger, or at least retains his strength, late into the season. Even if he puts up mediocre numbers over the year, having Floyd going strong into October would be an asset if the Sox actually could make the playoffs.

DSpivack
10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Meh, I don't think the Sox would have gotten anything of value if they tried to trade him, so it makes sense to just hang on to him for 1 more year.

If anything, this makes a trade more likely.

Konerko05
10-31-2012, 04:32 AM
I am perfectly fine with this.

As much Gavin frustrates me, it is only because I know he has the potential to be much better.

Reality is, 200 innings need to be filled somehow. 9.5 million for 200 of Gavin Floyd quality innings is not a bad investment.

An offense needs a pitcher who can keep it close till late in the game, and Sale needs innings around him.

Falstaff
10-31-2012, 05:03 AM
I think we'll see good stuff from Gavin in '13.

Don Cooper joins @LaurenceWHolmes (https://twitter.com/LaurenceWHolmes) NEXT to discuss Jake Peavy & Gavin Floyd coming back on 670 The Score, http://670thescore.com (http://t.co/QoyEpyVW)

Ya I notice this year post-DL list, Gavin had a few of his better outings.
In past years he has flirted with the no hitter and usually trows 2 or 3 super dominant games, mixed in with the more forgettable outings or blow up innings. I would like to see him do some exercises this winter to stay tough and a step ahead of father time. Also study Freddy Garcia and learn some offspeed junk, keep batters off balance, work it inside and then outside.

Chez
10-31-2012, 07:38 AM
If anything, this makes a trade more likely.

Agree. I think he will be traded for prospects.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Hopefully a 3B prospect.

voodoochile
10-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that both Floyd and Peavy will be back. This opens up tons of pitching options. Pretty much the Sox are set for pitching already if Danks can start the season.

Great news.

SephClone89
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Hopefully a 3B prospect.

Gavin Floyd will not net a decent 3B prospect.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2012, 05:49 PM
As maddening as Floyd is, he is looking like the #4 in our rotation next year (assuming Danks comes back ok). And we can do a whole lot worse than Gavin Floyd as a 4th starter.

A. Cavatica
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Curious: do the Sox still have the right to trade Floyd? I assume so, since he's not a 10-5 man and never had the leverage to negotiate a NTC. Which means that he might be a great trading chip at the deadline, if next season doesn't start well.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes...Gonzo is already speculating that he could be moved in a deal.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
As maddening as Floyd is, he is looking like the #4 in our rotation next year (assuming Danks comes back ok). And we can do a whole lot worse than Gavin Floyd as a 4th starter.

Yes, Floyd is maddening and sometimes he's his own worst enemy when his mind gets the best of him out on the mound. However, he eats 180-200 innings each season and will likely get you 10-12 wins, so, like you, I'm in favor of the Sox picking up his option. They could do a hell of a lot worse with the fourth guy in the rotation.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes...Gonzo is already speculating that he could be moved in a deal.

Lip

This is also the same guy who was, and I quote, "VERY surprised" that Peavy wound up staying, so that ought to tell you how much actual insight be brings to the table (hint: none).

Lip Man 1
10-31-2012, 09:56 PM
OK, whatever Double. We get it, you don't like the Chicago media.

I suspect MOST people were surprised because it was Jake's first chance at free agency.

Lip

Brian26
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
This is also the same guy who was, and I quote, "VERY surprised" that Peavy wound up staying, so that ought to tell you how much actual insight be brings to the table (hint: none).

Gonzo is one of the only writers, other than Mariotti, that Hawk has given publicity to on the air. He talked about Gonzo several times this season during games as the only guy who predicted the Sox bullpen would be ok. He may not be correct 100% of the time, but I think he's in good standing with the Sox and probably gets some scoops.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 10:28 PM
What? Who says I dislike the Chicago sports media? They're wonderfully entertaining; just don't pretend like they bring any kind of insider knowledge that a guy with a smartphone and working knowledge of Google couldn't do. Luckily there are good, professional journalists out there covering the Sox on a daily basis with deep understanding of baseball. Unfortunately, he works for the Albany Times Union.

Falstaff
11-02-2012, 03:22 AM

Gavin has proved himself as MLB rotation stalwart. Sometimes brilliant, but overall better than most but beat himself too often. He still has some upside potential. I'd like to see him swapped for future 3rd base blend of Joe Crede hands and Bill Melton bat with Robin Ventura clutch. Is there anyone in the league who has got it all like that? Let's make a deal.

TaylorStSox
11-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Based on? Floyd doesn't get a lot of respect among Sox fans, but pitchers like him don't exactly grow on trees.

Wedema
11-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Gonzo is one of the only writers, other than Mariotti, that Hawk has given publicity to on the air. He talked about Gonzo several times this season during games as the only guy who predicted the Sox bullpen would be ok. He may not be correct 100% of the time, but I think he's in good standing with the Sox and probably gets some scoops.

Gonzalez also incorrrectly reported (from a season ticket holder) a couple of weeks ago that Premium lower boxes were going up $1000 per ticket. We have since found out from the Sox that there will be 3 tiers of Premium lower boxes and the top tier is not even going up that much.

palehozenychicty
11-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't mind Floyd in the latter part of my rotation. You take his line for less than $10 million.

It's when people expect him to become a Cy Young candidate because of his stuff that is tiring. I've accepted him as Gavin Floyd. A decent pitcher with flashes of greatness.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
11-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Somewhere up north, GoGoCrede does a happy dance.

dickallen15
11-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Gonzalez also incorrrectly reported (from a season ticket holder) a couple of weeks ago that Premium lower boxes were going up $1000 per ticket. We have since found out from the Sox that there will be 3 tiers of Premium lower boxes and the top tier is not even going up that much.

The lowest rows rows are going up close to $1000, Gonzales didn't say it was $1000, that was the message from the season ticket holder. Gonzo did report the 3 tiers in his response but reported nothing on prices.

bigdommer
11-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Every summer, teams wet themselves over acquiring a Matt Garza or a Joe Blanton. Gavin has some value.

JB98
11-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't mind Floyd in the latter part of my rotation. You take his line for less than $10 million.

It's when people expect him to become a Cy Young candidate because of his stuff that is tiring. I've accepted him as Gavin Floyd. A decent pitcher with flashes of greatness.

I frequently get pissed at Floyd when I watch him pitch, yet at the same time I'm pleased his option was exercised. That seems like a contradiction, but you said it correctly with the statement bolded above.

Gavin is one of the strangest .500 pitchers I've seen over the years. He's a complete enigma. He'll have five or six starts in a row where he's just a monster, completely unhittable for even top offensive clubs. Then, he'll have five or six starts in a row where he throws batting practice.

But, at the end of the day, when you look at the production and you look at the salary, he's good value as a back-of-the-rotation starter. We all just have to learn to live with the fact that he is who he is.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Seeking-help-at-third-base-could-White-S?blockID=797731&feedID=9399

Lip

#1swisher
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Floyd is no stranger to trade rumors.

SephClone89
11-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Floyd for Wright, straight up.

SoxSpeed22
11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
The best thing that the Sox have got going for them is flexibility. Rick can get creative and get good things out of this offseason.
I expect Thornton to be the first one dealt. Donnie might have made him expendable. He could either supplement a deal or get some prospects out of it.