PDA

View Full Version : Brett Myers and Kevin Youkilis Options Declined

SoxFan49
10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox
Additionally, the #WhiteSox have declined 2013 options on the contracts of RHP Brett Myers and 3B Kevin Youkilis
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Lip Man 1
10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Expected...still possible they could return.

Lip

thomas35forever
10-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Doesn't surprise me. They both gave good outings, but might be time to look elsewhere.

DonnieDarko
10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Damn. Now what's 3B going to look like? How's the 3B market in free agency looking like? Are the Sox going to try Morel at 3B again? Please God no...

What about that 2B the Sox have in the minors that apparently hits pretty damned well? Does he have the arm for 3B? That's the only organizational option at that position that I can think of.

slavko
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Damn. Now what's 3B going to look like? How's the 3B market in free agency looking like? Are the Sox going to try Morel at 3B again? Please God no...

What about that 2B the Sox have in the minors that apparently hits pretty damned well? Does he have the arm for 3B? That's the only organizational option at that position that I can think of.

Can Morel hit .236 and field the position OK but not great if his back's fixed? Because that's what Youk did. Kenny sort of said they would find out in spring training. Youk's not worth the bucks and is a DL risk too. But he was a good guy here and not what some of us painted him as in the past. Bye Kevin.

Tragg
10-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't bring Myers back. Nothing special there.
Youk - only if we needed a backup 1B/DH, so he could play 60% at 3rd. But we don't, so that's that.

DonnieDarko
10-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Looking at the 3B free agent market for 2013, this appears to be what we have to look at (not counting Youkilis, obviously):

- David Wright [NYM] (he has an option that the Mets would have to be insane not to pick up)
- Eric Chavez [NYY]
- Scott Rolen [CIN]
- Drew Sutton [PIT]
- Miguel Cairo [CIN]
- Mark DeRosa [NAT]
- Brandon Inge [OAK]
- Placido Polanco [PHI]

...wow. Just...wow. That's a whole lot of old guys and ton of suckage. More that I think about it, the more that I think that Morel might be the way to go. At least in his case he's young...ish. Never thought I'd say that. o_O

Maybe try for Sutton? Chavez?

Brian26
10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
The only guy I'd consider on that list is Chavez.

StillMissOzzie
10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
No surprises here, and I for one have seen enough of Brett Myers. Youk would be another story, depending on the terms.

SMO
:gulp:

DumpJerry
10-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Declining the option does not mean the team can't negotiate with him on a new deal. The fact that they did not sign him to a new contract like they did Peavy tells me he probably isn't coming back. It also tells me that AJ will probably be back.

Noneck
10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Can Morel hit .236 and field the position OK but not great if his back's fixed?

Has the public been told what exactly is Morels back problem? With knowing what his problem is, there is no way to know what he can do in the future.

Bucky F. Dent
10-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Looking at the 3B free agent market for 2013, this appears to be what we have to look at (not counting Youkilis, obviously):

- David Wright [NYM] (he has an option that the Mets would have to be insane not to pick up)
- Eric Chavez [NYY]
- Scott Rolen [CIN]
- Drew Sutton [PIT]
- Miguel Cairo [CIN]
- Mark DeRosa [NAT]
- Brandon Inge [OAK]
- Placido Polanco [PHI]

...wow. Just...wow. That's a whole lot of old guys and ton of suckage. More that I think about it, the more that I think that Morel might be the way to go. At least in his case he's young...ish. Never thought I'd say that. o_O

That is a gross ton of bad.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the 3rd base FAs are nothing good. I would rather see the Sox try and trade for Jack Hannahan. Cleveland would rather have Chisenhall start for them and Hannahan can at least be serviceable.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 11:11 AM
The only guy I'd consider on that list is Chavez.

And even then you can't consider him more than a platoon-type player. The 113 games he played this year for the Yankees was the most he's logged since 2006. Hasn't played a "full" season since '05. I like Chavez the most of that list, too (assuming Wright signs the lifetime deal he's expected to with NYM), but you can't bring him in expecting him to play 130-140 G at 3B and stay healthy.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Noneck:

They said publicly it was a "back strain." I have a bulging lower disc in my back and the symptoms I feel from time to time appear to be exactly what happened to Morel.

Morel also needed shots to help the situation. I've had those...sometimes they work very well, sometimes they have no impact at all.

They said it was a strain. I'm not a doctor but that sounds like more than a strain since it lasted months and required shots.

Lip

Foulke You
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM

- Eric Chavez [NYY]
- Scott Rolen [CIN]
- Drew Sutton [PIT]
- Miguel Cairo [CIN]
- Mark DeRosa [NAT]
- Brandon Inge [OAK]
- Placido Polanco [PHI]

The free agent list is very thin at 3B this year and we don't have a lot of prospects to work with at that position either. I really feel that Morel is out of the equation. The fact that he wasn't a late season call up speaks to how the organization feels about him right now.

Hahn's best bet will likely be to find a 3B on the trade market. Find a team who might be looking to move a veteran that is blocking a youngster in their farm system. It would be great if the Sox can somehow manage to find a younger 3B on the trade market but that would likely cost more than the Sox are willing to give up. Brett Lawrie of the Blue Jays would be the type of guy I'm thinking of but I doubt the Jays want to move him.