PDA

View Full Version : Sox Re-sign Peavy

ChiSoxGal85
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors (https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)

White Sox Extend Jake Peavy http://bit.ly/V6jQZY (http://t.co/rSD3Qtah) #mlb (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb&src=hash)

keloms
@DanHayesCSN: Baseball source: Jake Peavy has signed a two-year deal with the #WhiteSox. Details to come

kevingrt
Two years for $29 million with a 3rd year option.

Per @whitesox

samurai_sox
10-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Good, Peavy has been a gamer all year.

Boondock Saint
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Awesome news.

Hendu
Pretty good deal. I thought he'd get more years on the open market.

MUsoxfan
I thought for sure he'd be a goner. Excellent news

russ99
10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Great news that Peavy and Floyd will be back, settles our SP situation.

But if we're operating at a similar payroll level as Hahn alluded to in his presser, somebody who's not an FA has got to go.

Harry Potter
10-30-2012, 06:15 PM
This is great news! I really think the Sox lucked out because he surely would have gotten a 3-year deal from another team with no problem.

Peavy will also get his $4M buyout which someone reported will be paid $1M/year from 2016-2019.

Welcome back Jake!!

Frontman
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Happy to hear. Glad Jake-miester is staying on the Southside......yes!!!

DeadMoney
10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
This and the excercising of Floyd's option is interesting. With the FA market at 3B and C, this gives them some flexibility with a deep staff and the ability to explore trades with guys like Quintana, Santiago, Leesman, Rodriguez and/or Floyd.

Welcome back Jake, and thanks for taking a bit of a discount (at least in years)! :bandance:

Harry Potter
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Peavy will receive $14.5 million in each of the next two seasons, with performance incentives in the deal that would extend his contract through 2015 for another $15 million.

The $4-million buyout for Peavy's $22 million club option for 2013 will be paid out over 2016-19 in equal installments.

amsteel
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I feel like he already has enough of the Sox money.

central44
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Glad to hear this, shows that the Sox are serious about contending in 2013.

PaleHoser
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I think deferring the buyout until this contract expires, and over four years could be a big deal. Creates an extra $4M in this year's budget and a $1M hit over four years is much softer than $4M all at once.

Maybe AJ's next?

thomas35forever
10-30-2012, 06:48 PM
This is a nice surprise. Didn't think he'd be back, but I'm glad he is. Keep doing your thing, Jake!

Lip Man 1
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Jake said often enough times that he wanted to stay in Chicago and appreciated the help the Sox gave him over the past few years health-wise.

I also can't argue with Floyd. He's OK to help the back end given that he's right handed, eats innings, and you just don't know about Danks until he actually gets on the mound and proves it.

So the rotation looks like:

Sale
Peavy
Floyd
Danks
? (Quintana / Santiago / ??? Myers maybe if he will come back on a lesser deal)

Now go out and get some hitters.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
This and the excercising of Floyd's option is interesting. With the FA market at 3B and C, this gives them some flexibility with a deep staff and the ability to explore trades with guys like Quintana, Santiago, Leesman, Rodriguez and/or Floyd.

Welcome back Jake, and thanks for taking a bit of a discount (at least in years)! :bandance:

I've never understood the rationale about trying to trade all the cheap guys who don't cost you anything and have upside.

Besides, with Floyd and Peavy signed, and the Sox already indicating that nine figures is the budget, they will need to jettison some of the bigger contracts to trade to fill 3B and other positions. It will be interesting to see what Hahn does with his first big trades.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Nice first major move to kick off the Hahn era. Something tells me that the Sox' mindset with Hahn will not be all that different from their mindset with KW.

Let's see what Hahn has up his sleeve regarding AJ and the 3B situation.

LITTLE NELL
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Great news, did not expect him to stay but Peavy is a standup guy and probably figured he owed the Sox after being hurt for his first 3 years. If Danks comes back strong our pitching looks solid for 2013.

PalehosePlanet
10-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Jake said often enough times that he wanted to stay in Chicago and appreciated the help the Sox gave him over the past few years health-wise.

I also can't argue with Floyd. He's OK to help the back end given that he's right handed, eats innings, and you just don't know about Danks until he actually gets on the mound and proves it.

So the rotation looks like:

Sale
Peavy
Floyd
Danks
? (Quintana / Santiago / ??? Myers maybe if he will come back on a lesser deal)

Now go out and get some hitters.

Lip

Yes, and Jake often stated that he felt bad for not doing enough and that he wanted to be the pitcher that Kenny traded for. IMO, He's being loyal to KW and the Sox organization here by not testing the market and accepting a two year deal.

We also have plenty of solid young bullpen arms, especially if Santiago ends up in the pen. Time to deal Thornton.

ElevenUp
10-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Welcome back, Jake! Hopefully next year you get more run support. I'm excited about the starting rotation next year.
:bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

Moses_Scurry
10-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Great news! My wish from the '4 left handers in the rotation' thread has been granted. Now Quintana, Santiago, Leesman, Rodriquez, and anyone else they want to try can battle to the death, gladiator style, for the fifth spot. Much better than needing two of them.

WhiteSox5187
10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
This is a great move. Since it's a two year deal it doesn't handcuff us financially for years to come and if we tank and he is serviceable odds are SOMEONE will take a chance on him. Our rotation also looks pretty solid (barring injury). The White Sox need to start getting younger but there is no one on the farm that we can use right now, so I suppose it makes sense to continue a sort of holding pattern right now. Hopefully we can re-sign AJ as well.

DonnieDarko
10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Great news, good to hear. Guy pitched very well for 3/4s of the season or so. His record shows that he got some of the worst run support I've seen of any White Sox pitcher outside of Danks.

Now we wait to see what happens with Pierzynski.

DeadMoney
10-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I've never understood the rationale about trying to trade all the cheap guys who don't cost you anything and have upside.

Besides, with Floyd and Peavy signed, and the Sox already indicating that nine figures is the budget, they will need to jettison some of the bigger contracts to trade to fill 3B and other positions. It will be interesting to see what Hahn does with his first big trades.

I'm not saying that I agree with it, but it's what they've done in the past. I'm actually hoping they attempt to trade young cheap talent for young cheap talent. This is more my thought process since good fits just don't exist on the FA market at 3B and C.

WhiffleBall
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Love this but hope there is a solid insurance policy in case he gets injured. I read somewhere that 50% of Victor Martinez's 2012 salary was covered by insurance which helped convince ownership to sign Fielder. I would hope we would be able to get something close to that just in case (knock on wood).

amsteel
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/263421764695097344

I might be reading too far into it, but that sounds like code for "Danks isn't recovering the way we thought"

tstrike2000
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Awesome, Sox didn't waste any time. Glad to have Jakemeister back for two more years.

Harry Potter
10-30-2012, 07:31 PM

I might be reading too far into it, but that sounds like code for "Danks isn't recovering the way we thought"

On the other hand...

https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN)
All of this #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash) news arrives two days before John Danks is set to start throwing again. Been told he's healthy and on track.

Over By There
10-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow, wasn't expecting this - at least not this fast. I've been critical of Peavy but this seems like a good deal. Welcome back, 44.

DeadMoney
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM

Quite possibly (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN/status/263419573225799681). But from Dan Hayes, "All of this #WhiteSox news arrives two days before John Danks is set to start throwing again. Been told he's healthy and on track."

jshanahanjr
10-30-2012, 07:36 PM
2 year deal with an earned option is a great deal for the Sox!!!:)

#1swisher
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Chicago White Sox
Chicago is a great city with great fans, and I can’t think of a better place to try and win a championship.” -@JakePeavy_44 (https://twitter.com/JakePeavy_44)
“With the guys we have coming back, I think we have a great opportunity to accomplish some special things.” -@JakePeavy_44 (https://twitter.com/JakePeavy_44)

Noneck
10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
I have to think he would have gotten more on the open market. This is a guy that has only pitched one full year with the Sox, along with bits of another three. I thought his talk about liking Chicago and wanting to stay here was smack like we heard last year from another. I commend him for being a man of his word.

Tragg
10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Savvy deal.
Considering the buyout, we're getting Jake at a net of 12.5 per year. That's a steal.
Well done, Williams/Hahn.
EDIT - my mistake. Gets buyout as well. Still thrilled to have him back.

Brian26
10-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Maybe the Sox brass paid close attention to the playoffs and saw that a good starting staff, if they're all on their game, can shut down any team and take you to a championship, even with a mediocre offense.

I like the move.

Brian26
10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I have to think he would have gotten more on the open market. This is a guy that has only pitched one full year with the Sox, along with bits of another three. I thought his talk about liking Chicago and wanting to stay here was smack like we heard last year from another. I commend him for being a man of his word.

I assume you're talking about Buehrle. This has been beaten to death here over the past year, but to recap again: Buehrle gave the Sox two hometown discounts on his previous contracts in 2003 and 2007, so he didn't really owe the Sox anything. That said, I think he really did like it here. There's no question he's a midwestern guy who's probably out of place in Miami. He gave Reinsdorf a call after Miami offered the contract, and JR told him to take it. I mean, that contract was obscene; how can you hold any ill will towards him? I'm glad he got a pay day.

The bottom line is, the Sox couldn't afford Buehrle in 2012, mostly because of (ironically) Peavy's contract, along with Rios and Dunn.

StillMissOzzie
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with this news, and Jake is a real stand-up guy for agreeing to the deferral of his $4M buyout. Welcome back, Jake!

SMO
:gulp::gulp:

#1swisher
10-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Mark Gonzales

Hahn: 1st offer to Jake on Oct. 8, picked up steam recently.

Hahn on 3b: We will see. It's Oct. 30.

DumpJerry
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
The biggest news of the Rick Hahn era:

Today is Tuesday.

Noneck
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I assume you're talking about Buehrle. This has been beaten to death here over the past year, but to recap again: Buehrle gave the Sox two hometown discounts on his previous contracts in 2003 and 2007, so he didn't really owe the Sox anything. That said, I think he really did like it here. There's no question he's a midwestern guy who's probably out of place in Miami. He gave Reinsdorf a call after Miami offered the contract, and JR told him to take it. I mean, that contract was obscene; how can you hold any ill will towards him? I'm glad he got a pay day.

The bottom line is, the Sox couldn't afford Buehrle in 2012, mostly because of (ironically) Peavy's contract, along with Rios and Dunn.

I hold nothing against Buehrle, he must have finally thought that the money was more important than playing for the city and team he said he loved so much, so many times, during all the years he played here. I hope he enjoys his next 3 years down there.

DonnieDarko
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I hold nothing against Buehrle, he must have finally thought that the money was more important than playing for the city and team he said he loved so much, so many times, during all the years he played here. I hope he enjoys his next 3 years down there.

Christ, cut the guy some slack. He got his money and took it, just like anyone with half a brain would. It's over and done with, get over it.

On a lighter note, I have an inkling that he'll be back some day...just maybe not as a player.

samurai_sox
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM

You've would have done the same, who the hell would turn down $58 Million?

Noneck
10-30-2012, 08:53 PM
You've would have done the same, who the hell would turn down $58 Million?

Yes I would, but I would have been upfront and told the world, Show me the money. Im a hired gun and I go to the highest bidder.

Brian26
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM

The real question is whether he loves his family more than he loves the city & team. He made the correct choice, especially since there wasn't really a choice since the Sox couldn't have signed him for half of what Miami was offering.

Brian26
10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes I would, but I would have been upfront and told the world, Show me the money. Im a hired gun and I go to the highest bidder.

Which was untrue since he called the Sox after Miami made their offer and was willing to come back for less. JR told him it would be crazy not to take the money.

Noneck
10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Which was untrue since he called the Sox after Miami made their offer and was willing to come back for less. JR told him it would be crazy not to take the money.

I dont remember anything about him willing to take less. I thought it was him telling Reinsorf what he was being offered and maybe hoping Reinsdorf would match but things didnt work out that way.

Noneck
10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
The real question is whether he loves his family more than he loves the city & team. He made the correct choice, especially since there wasn't really a choice since the Sox couldn't have signed him for half of what Miami was offering.

I know you really like Buerhle and I respect that and you. We feel different on this one and I dont want to continue to muddy a thread about a good signing with this.

Im glad the Sox signed Peavy and I will enjoy the rest of day as a result of this.

TheVulture
10-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Kind of hard to sign a contract you were never offered, isn't it?

WhiteSox5187
10-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Also, I am not so sure the White Sox even made him an offer. I know they offered him arbitration but I think that that is about it. I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that Buehrle's call to JR also asked if the White Sox were going to make ANY offer.

Brian26
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Also, I am not so sure the White Sox even made him an offer. I know they offered him arbitration but I think that that is about it. I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that Buehrle's call to JR also asked if the White Sox were going to make ANY offer.

Exactly. The Sox couldn't offer him anything that wouldn't be short of a complete slap in the face.

Noneck's said his peace; you know how I feel about it. I guess let's move on....

ChiSoxGirl
10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
The biggest news of the Rick Hahn era:

Today is Tuesday.

Hmmm.... Is Tuesday the new Wednesday? :wink:

October26
10-30-2012, 09:53 PM
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors (https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors)

White Sox Extend Jake Peavy http://bit.ly/V6jQZY (http://t.co/rSD3Qtah) #mlb (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mlb&src=hash)

Yay! This is good news.

Soxman219
10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Peavy wins the Gold Glove too, great day for Jake. Glad he'll be here a while.:D:

palehosepub
10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I like the re-sign of Peavy and the pickup of Floyds option, both good moves in today's pitching market. And as always pitching wins. the Giants and Cardinals showed how important pitching depth is over the last three years.

Starters:

1Sale
2Peavy
3Danks (hopefully)
4Floyd
5 Quintanna or Santiago

Relievers:

Axlerod
Santiago or Quintanna
Thorton
Crain
Reed
Veal
Nate Jones

Thats a good start. I would not be surprised if Thorton is dealt with his salary and the Sox surplus of LH relievers.

RCWHITESOX
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Absolutely fantastic news. Jake is a winner and with Sale and Peavy it keeps the Sox with a heck of 1 2 punch. Chicago White Sox baseball you have to love it.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Absolutely fantastic news. Jake is a winner and with Sale and Peavy it keeps the Sox with a heck of 1 2 punch. Chicago White Sox baseball you have to love it.

So we're paying Danks ace money to be a #3. Fantastic.

DeadMoney
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM

Yep. Just like the Giants paid Tim Lincecum $18M to come out of the bullpen when it counted most.

Starting pitching, actually pitching depth in general, is the most important thing in this game and teams are going to pay for it. What would you consider Kyle Lohse in St. Louis (with Carpenter and Wainwright)? Because he was being paid $11.875M the past two seasons and will - without a doubt - get more in FA this off season to be a 2 or 3 somewhere else.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Yep. Just like the Giants paid Tim Lincecum $18M to come out of the bullpen when it counted most.

Starting pitching, actually pitching depth in general, is the most important thing in this game and teams are going to pay for it. What would you consider Kyle Lohse in St. Louis (with Carpenter and Wainwright)? Because he was being paid $11.875M the past two seasons and will - without a doubt - get more in FA this off season to be a 2 or 3 somewhere else.

I'm not necessarily complaining, I understand proven solid starting pitching comes at a premium price. Hopefully he comes back and becomes the pitcher he was pre-injury.

I'm glad we have another solid rotation this year (on paper, at least).

gosox41
10-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Happy to hear. Glad Jake-miester is staying on the Southside......yes!!!

I thought there'd be more negative feedback regarding the amount he was getting paid. $14.5mill per year. He's pitched well in one of his last 4 seasons and it was a FA year.

Bob

FielderJones
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Did not see this coming at all. Very pleased with the beginning of the Hahn era.

gosox41
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm not necessarily complaining, I understand proven solid starting pitching comes at a premium price. Hopefully he comes back and becomes the pitcher he was pre-injury.

I'm glad we have another solid rotation this year (on paper, at least).

Am I the only one who thinks the Sox should seriously consider a 6 man rotatio nnext year due to the youth of Sale and Quintana, Santiago being young and unproven and not used to the workload. Even Floyd has been dinged up the last couple of years. And dare I say that Peavy is still fragile.

Bob

kobo
10-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Danks is a 3 now? And is $15 million per year considered Ace money these days?

kobo
10-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I thought there'd be more negative feedback regarding the amount he was getting paid. $14.5mill per year. He's pitched well in one of his last 4 seasons and it was a FA year.

Bob
You mean the one season out of the last 4 where he was actually healthy he pitched well? Amazing!

DeadMoney
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Sox should seriously consider a 6 man rotatio nnext year due to the youth of Sale and Quintana, Santiago being young and unproven and not used to the workload. Even Floyd has been dinged up the last couple of years. And dare I say that Peavy is still fragile.

Bob

I'm not necessarily against going to it at key times of the year when the load gets tough on some guys. I think you'll even start seeing this in some places across baseball. Having a strong staff 1-4 or 1-5 in April-July doesn't help you close out a playoff race or win in the playoffs. You need your best guys going best late in the season. For that reason, I'm not against it even though it still might be viewed as unconventional in some circles.

shingo10
10-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Part of me feels like we are stuck in a time machine and our moves keep turning out to be keeping our core intact when our core has led us to nothing but middle of the road seasons. However, Peavy was truly a bulldog for us last year and those innings are so valuable. So I have mixed feelings.

ChicagoG19
10-30-2012, 11:57 PM
I like the signing and a 2-year contract is not a big risk in my opinion. With that said, go get us some bats Rick.

soxfanreggie
10-31-2012, 12:26 AM
I hope Jake can pitch like he did last year. I don't think anyone would argue he pitched anywhere close to what he earned on his last contract, but here's a new opportunity.

He could have gotten more elsewhere, but he's almost earned $70 million over his career already. I don't think he's hurting right now. Right now it's more about a good fit for him. I think I'd do the same thing. Would I really notice the difference between $100 million and $110 million over my career? I would probably notice that I was a lot happier playing in a place I felt comfortable though.

Falstaff
10-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Part of me feels like we are stuck in a time machine and our moves keep turning out to be keeping our core intact when our core has led us to nothing but middle of the road seasons. However, Peavy was truly a bulldog for us last year and those innings are so valuable. So I have mixed feelings.

Yes with more runs on the board the Peave can put up similar performance next year and pencil him in for about 16-8 and 3-ish ERA.

Robin has to rein in impulse to let the Peave and the Sale to run up
high pitch count ballgames; that is the biggest arm burnout cause, more so
than total innings over the year.

Golden Sox
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Now that Peavy and Floyd are back for 2013,all that Hahn has to do now is sign Josh Hamilton as a free agent and then trade Dunn for a third baseman. Once that is done we can start our magic number countdown for 2013. Other than that I want to wish everyone out there a very Happy Halloween!

Frater Perdurabo
10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
This is a good move. I like our rotation now. I like it even better if Danks returns to form, because it means Quintana, Santiago, etc. can battle it out for the fifth starter role. You can never have too much starting pitching.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Seriously. People ****ing whine about the Sox and their "small market thinking" and then they whine when the Sox act like big market teams and have an overpaid vet here or there. Christ, I know we'd all like the Sox to have 25 All-Star caliber players making the league minimum and 10 Blue Chip prospects stashed in the minors, but that's not reality.

Good move by the Sox. $14 M a year for a pitcher of his caliber is a great deal and the 2-year deal is just excellent considering his injury history (that is hopefully a thing of the past) and considering what he probably could have snagged on the open market.

doublem23
10-31-2012, 09:13 AM

Bob

Peavy didn't picth "well" last year. He was excellent. $14 M a year for 2 years is a great move for a pitcher of his talent with a very low risk thanks to the short life of the contract. Look around the MLB landscape, where are you going to find a pitcher of his talent sign a deal like this? It's an absolutely fantastic move by Hahn and a real team-first move by Jake. I can't believe there's any negative feedback at all in this thread.

34 Inch Stick
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm very happy with the move. A good starting rotation will keep you in the playoff hunt irrespective of the strength of the other teams in the division...and make no mistake, the Tigers will come back stronger next year.

Even if this season is disappointing, that contract is highly tradeable as it is both market rate AND gives the acquiring team another year of the player.

It looks like Hahn is designing it so that a huge amount of money comes off the books at the same time after 2014.

Noneck
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I

Even if this season is disappointing, that contract is highly tradeable as it is both market rate AND gives the acquiring team another year of the player.

Speaking of being tradeable, I wonder if he has the same no trade clause in this contract as he did in his previous contract.

JB98
10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
I like the move. There is risk involved, sure, but it's risk worth taking. It's only a two-year deal, the money is reasonable, and Jake threw like a top-of-the-rotation guy all season -- despite a mediocre W-L record. With any run support at all, he wins 15-17 for us this year. He also led the staff in innings, and that's no small thing.

I'm pleased that our starting rotation looks set as the calendar turns to November. That's a good way to start the offseason. The Sox do need to make some adjustments in terms of position players. However, given the choice, I'd rather have pitching in place and be shopping for position players than the other way around.

Nice job, Rick Hahn.

TDog
11-01-2012, 12:22 AM
I generally agree, although I thought Peavy was disappointing in a few big games in 2012. Peavy, Sale, Danks and Floyd are all pitchers who have the potential to have very good seasons. Quintana looks like he may have emerged as a major league starter. You don't know if the season wore him down or the hitters figured him out (his lack of control would indicate the former rather than the latter). You also don't know if Danks will be 100 percent. But heading into November, there are refreshingly few big question marks with the rotation.

palehozenychicty
11-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Maybe the Sox brass paid close attention to the playoffs and saw that a good starting staff, if they're all on their game, can shut down any team and take you to a championship, even with a mediocre offense.

I like the move.

Sure, but the Giants execute very well on offense. They worked the count, make key sacrifice bunts. and hit well in situations. The Sox haven't proven to be adept at these tasks. Most AL teams rely on power to win ballgames. It works in the regular season, but not the postseason.

I am happy with Peavy's return. Let's see what he can do in '13.