PDA

View Full Version : 4 Lefties in Rotation next year?

ZombieRob
10-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Sale
Danks
Santiago
Quintana

Has there ever been a Rotation that carried 4 Lefties?

Reading the Trib looks as if Floyd will be the only right hander in the rotation

Plus they have another leftie who's close that throws 98 mph

DrCrawdad
10-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Sale
Danks
Santiago
Quintana

Reading the Trib looks as if Floyd will be the only right hander in the rotation

Seems to me that would be fairly unique. In the end, I don't care if 4 Sox starters are right-handers, left-handers or amphibious so long as they're good.

ZombieRob
10-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Seems to me that would be fairly unique. In the end, I don't care if 4 Sox starters are right-handers, left-handers or amphibious so long as they're good.
Also forgot to mention Leesman who is yet another promising leftie. Sox have some really good arms. I even like Omogrosso and Bruney for the short period he was here even though Bruney is a FA he can be had. Hahn has some nice pieces in place.

slavko
10-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Sale
Danks
Santiago
Quintana

Kravec, Wortham, Baumgarten, Trout. White Sox 1979.

ZombieRob
10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Nice call. I assume it's rare thought isn't it?

SephClone89
10-30-2012, 08:17 AM

I assume this is a joke/pun.

Frater Perdurabo
10-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I assume this is a joke/pun.

I'm not so sure. Last I heard the Sodfather was working on an aquarium on the mound to accommodate a possible acquisition of Kermit The Frog for two polywogs to be named later.

doublem23
10-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm not so sure. Last I heard the Sodfather was working on an aquarium on the mound to accommodate a possible acquisition of Kermit The Frog for two polywogs to be named later.

Think of the homefield advantage. I'd like to see Verlander hit 98 on the gun after treading water for 7 innings. :cool:

Moses_Scurry
10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I would rather have Quintana and Santiago fighting over the 5th spot. It would obviously mean that they would have to keep Floyd and sign somebody decent.

Sale
Danks
?
Floyd
Quintana / Santiago

I don't trust Quintana yet. I feel the same about him as I felt about Humber coming into 2012.

ZombieRob
10-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I would rather have Quintana and Santiago fighting over the 5th spot. It would obviously mean that they would have to keep Floyd and sign somebody decent.

Sale
Danks
?
Floyd
Quintana / Santiago

I don't trust Quintana yet. I feel the same about him as I felt about Humber coming into 2012.
Still have Leesman and this Rodriguez kid on the way who throws 98 mph. Were leftie heavy for sure

doublem23
10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Lest we not forget that when talking about the 2013 rotation, Brett Myers is a starting candidate, if the Sox pick up his option:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/Myers-in-White-Sox-2013-plans-as-a-start?blockID=783571&feedID=10338

JB98
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Sale
Danks
?
Floyd
Quintana / Santiago

I'm in this camp as well. I'd like to see a mid-rotation veteran added in the likely event Peavy's price is too high.

There are questions about whether Quintana can duplicate his success, but I also don't see why we should be penciling Santiago into the rotation on the basis of one dominant start against a hopeless Cleveland team at the end of the season.

I think Santiago is a useful pitcher. He's been used in a number of different roles, but I'm not sure yet what the right spot is for him. I do know that he's not a closer. After that, it's up for debate.

Noneck
10-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I would like to see Nate Jones get a shot at the rotation. I know he has to work on some pitches but he would be very interesting candidate.

TDog
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM

I was thinking the same thing. After Barrios went down, that was pretty much the four-man rotation, with spot starters (including Ed Farmer) being worked in along the way and Dotson coming up in September. The four lefties led the team in starts, though. A typical Veeck II year, maybe Veeck's worst considering the forfeit to the Tigers that still looms large in his legend.

There was quite a bit of hype about the potential of the four starters. But in 1983, Trout was pitching for the Cubs, and the other three, along with Farmer, were pitching in the A's minor league system. Wortham had an ERA approaching 7 for the Class A Modesto A's.

New York sports columnist Dick Young scoffed at thte idea of a starting rotation made up of four lefties, writing that the more hitters see lefties, the more they will get used to hitting them. He may have had a point.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I would like to see Nate Jones get a shot at the rotation. I know he has to work on some pitches but he would be very interesting candidate.

They tried that with him when they drafted him. He didn't work out. I'd leave Jones exactly where he is if it were up to me.

doublem23
10-30-2012, 04:40 PM
They tried that with him when they drafted him. He didn't work out. I'd leave Jones exactly where he is if it were up to me.

The only tweak I'd make to Jones' role is not to use him as a mid-inning RP but as say a 7th or 8th inning guy. For whatever reason, he shuts down teams when he enters with the bases empty, but he's a seive with inherited runners. Obviously, as a rookie, there's probably some room to grow, but for the time being, may as well use him in situations he's most likely to succeed.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-30-2012, 05:29 PM
The only tweak I'd make to Jones' role is not to use him as a mid-inning RP but as say a 7th or 8th inning guy. For whatever reason, he shuts down teams when he enters with the bases empty, but he's a seive with inherited runners. Obviously, as a rookie, there's probably some room to grow, but for the time being, may as well use him in situations he's most likely to succeed.

I agree, I meant leave him in the pen. I think he could grow into a really nice setup guy for Reed in the future.

#1swisher
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
By keeping Peavy and Floyd, the White Sox have leeway with Danks' recovery.

"We'll have to monitor [Danks] like we monitored Peavy, like we monitored Sale," said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper. "He'll be throwing all winter, so two thoughts come to mind. We'll need innings to back him up with in games, as we are not going to say, 'Here's 120 pitches,' and at some point, we'll be skipping his turn. To have depth is really important. The more, the better."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121030&content_id=40130404&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws