PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Fisk pinched for DUI

MUsoxfan
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
In a New Lenox cornfield

http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/23/carlton-fisk-arrested-dui/

thomas35forever
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
More good news for ex-Sox players today.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/23/report-carlton-fisk-arrested-for-dui/

Steelrod
10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Anyone got the mug shot?

MUsoxfan
10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
In the TMZ link

Wedema
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
He looks hammered in that mug shot.

SCCWS
10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Ex-Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox Carlton Fisk charged with DUI - ESPN Chicago (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8543529/ex-chicago-white-sox-boston-red-sox-carlton-fisk-charged-dui)

BainesHOF
10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I hope he didn't run over Shoeless Joe.

BainesHOF
10-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Getting busted for DUI after a night of drinking is one thing. Getting busted for DUI in a cornfield at 7:20 p.m. with an open bottle of vodka in the car smacks of a deeper problem.

DSpivack
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Getting busted for DUI after a night of drinking is one thing. Getting busted for DUI in a cornfield at 7:20 p.m. with an open bottle of vodka in the car smacks of a deeper problem.

Bad and worse, perhaps, but there is no defending a DUI in any situation.

Frontman
10-23-2012, 05:47 PM

I don't see it as a defense, more of a "What the Hell?" kind of comment.

I really like Pudge, but man, talk about stupid.

DSpivack
10-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't see it as a defense, more of a "What the Hell?" kind of comment.

I really like Pudge, but man, talk about stupid.
Oh, in the case, I agree and misunderstood. Totally bizarre.

dickallen15
10-23-2012, 06:57 PM

They both shouldn't happen, but I think you are right. Why. Are you driving drunk to the point you can't stay awake with vodka open? Hope he gets help, and thankfully he didn't hurt anyone

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Should I change my WSI name to LiquidLunchFisk? :tongue:

Brian26
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Should I change my WSI name to LiquidLunchFisk? :tongue:

Maybe LiquidLunch&DinnerFisk. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
10-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Exactly 37 years to the date when he hit his famous "waved" HR in the World Series. I wonder if back then, he would ever think that 37 years later, he would end up drunk in a cornfield after crashing his truck. :rolleyes:

The fact that he was drinking vodka straight out of the bottle, while driving at 7:20 PM is terrifying. Those are two lane roads and I thank God he did not hit any oncoming traffic. :angry:

I know a DUI is a DUI, however I sort of feel for the guy who may have had one too many light beers vs. a guy driving and drinking a bottle of vodka!

fisk4ever
10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
So sad. So stupid. Glad no one was hurt.

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Maybe LiquidLunch&DinnerFisk. :tongue:

:D:

Seriously, though, I am glad no one was hurt.

soxfan1965
10-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Fisk and Ozzie.
Just my humble opinion here.

We all make mistakes (albeit some bigger than others) but it is what we do after it, what we learn from them, is the key. Unfortunately, some of us have to learn things the hard way, perhaps to break negative pride or immaturity. Getting arrested or getting fired is not necessarily a bad thing in the greater context if it can effect a turning point that the affected can't see they need. Having said that, if someone got killed here, the situation would be much different, with consequences affecting other families.

Chuck Coulson of the Watergate era went to jail and turned his life around for one of lifetime service. These two, one with a statue and one heading a rare championship at the Cell, have a lot of potential to offer guidance and inspiration to youth in and adjacent to the White Sox world. This is not saying they are not already But if not, I hope it happens, and the key is if there is a genuine change of heart as a result of it.

Baseball has given these two much, and you would hope they would put themselves into a position resulting in a change of heart and attitude to want to give back in some greater or more visible way.

palehosepub
10-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Sad, driving around with an open 1.75l bottle of vodka?

I also remember a story about Fisk several years back that Carlton was impaired and beligerent on an airline flight .... made the news but faded quickly...

bigsoxfan420
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Pudge was my biggest hero when I was 10...then I grew and found out how much a jerk he could be (granted he was dicked around by ownership at the end) and now this.

I'll never forget the time there picture day at Old Comiskey and most to the player came out to take pictures with the kids in left field. I have photos with Ozzie, Karkovice, Hibbard, Boston, etc., Pudge came out waved to everyone and walked back into the outfield door. I remember how pissed my father was. I think that's the day my cynicism began.

TheVulture
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I was going to read the article, but I was sidetracked by the Christina Hendricks link.

fisk4ever
10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Fisk and Ozzie.
Just my humble opinion here.

We all make mistakes (albeit some bigger than others) but it is what we do after it, what we learn from them, is the key. Unfortunately, some of us have to learn things the hard way, perhaps to break negative pride or immaturity. Getting arrested or getting fired is not necessarily a bad thing in the greater context if it can effect a turning point that the affected can't see they need. Having said that, if someone got killed here, the situation would be much different, with consequences affecting other families.

Chuck Coulson of the Watergate era went to jail and turned his life around for one of lifetime service. These two, one with a statue and one heading a rare championship at the Cell, have a lot of potential to offer guidance and inspiration to youth in and adjacent to the White Sox world. This is not saying they are not already But if not, I hope it happens, and the key is if there is a genuine change of heart as a result of it.

Baseball has given these two much, and you would hope they would put themselves into a position resulting in a change of heart and attitude to want to give back in some greater or more visible way.
Well said.

samurai_sox
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Oh great, has he been hanging out with Chris Chelios?

JasonFrasor54
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Proud to say where he was found is in walking distance of my house.

chicagowhitesox1
10-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Is he from that area? It's kinda strange he ended up in a New Lennox cornfield.

MUsoxfan
10-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Is he from that area? It's kinda strange he ended up in a New Lennox cornfield.

I did a quick Internet search and found that he's purchased a house in the area

WS in 05
10-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Neighbors? Said cornfields are basically my backyard. To bad I was at Bears game. Otherwise I could have met unconsious drunk Carlton Fisk.

mahagga73
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Pudge was my biggest hero when I was 10...then I grew and found out how much a jerk he could be (granted he was dicked around by ownership at the end) and now this.

I'll never forget the time there picture day at Old Comiskey and most to the player came out to take pictures with the kids in left field. I have photos with Ozzie, Karkovice, Hibbard, Boston, etc., Pudge came out waved to everyone and walked back into the outfield door. I remember how pissed my father was. I think that's the day my cynicism began.
I've heard an endless stream of Fisk is an a$$hat stories . He has a history of being a major dbag to the fans.

mahagga73
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Neighbors? Said cornfields are basically my backyard. To bad I was at Bears game. Otherwise I could have met unconsious drunk Carlton Fisk.
just think if you were suddenly in the mood to go for a walk out in the cornfields you would have meet Pudge Fisk, the man of the WS homer in 75, out in the corn. What a story to tell,lol. But seriously, drinking straight Vodka and ending up in a cornfield, that's scary. Lucky nobody was hurt. He should get a stiff punishment for that.

kittle42
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
He should get a stiff punishment for that.

After which, he'll have a stiff drink.

Hey-oh!

hawkjt
10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Big fan of ''Field of Dreams''?

Mark Grace is probably headed to prison for at least a couple of years for this kind of stunt.
Pudge better call a cab next time.

Frontman
10-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I've heard an endless stream of Fisk is an a$$hat stories . He has a history of being a major dbag to the fans.

He also has his good days with the fans too. My grandpa met him right after his playing days were over, and his son was playing against my brother in a little league game (probably 6-7 year old range.)

Spent a good amount of time just jawing with my grandpa while watching the game like any normal Dad. My brother was one of those true "student of the game" type players who loved watching MLB games to pick up how to play the game.

Pudge commented on my brother, who was playing catcher, tossing his mask on a pop out and throwing the ball over to 3rd after my grandpa had told Fisk about how my brother studied how to play the game.

"Wonder where he picked that up?" Pudge joked.

I hope that Fisk can get the help he needs. Man might be a jerk at times, but I certainly don't want to wake up one morning to see the headline:

"Sox Hall of Famer Fisk in Drunk Driving Accident."

dickallen15
10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Big fan of ''Field of Dreams''?

Mark Grace is probably headed to prison for at least a couple of years for this kind of stunt.
Pudge better call a cab next time.

Grace will do 4 months at some sort of tent city place because its mandatory for his charge. He won't do any other time unless they are trying to make an example out of him.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
He also has his good days with the fans too. My grandpa met him right after his playing days were over, and his son was playing against my brother in a little league game (probably 6-7 year old range.)

Spent a good amount of time just jawing with my grandpa while watching the game like any normal Dad. My brother was one of those true "student of the game" type players who loved watching MLB games to pick up how to play the game.

Pudge commented on my brother, who was playing catcher, tossing his mask on a pop out and throwing the ball over to 3rd after my grandpa had told Fisk about how my brother studied how to play the game.

"Wonder where he picked that up?" Pudge joked.

I hope that Fisk can get the help he needs. Man might be a jerk at times, but I certainly don't want to wake up one morning to see the headline:

"Sox Hall of Famer Fisk in Drunk Driving Accident."

Confused by the bolded comment. Fisk was released/retired in 1993. His son was 21 years old at the time, so certainly wouldn't be playing in any little league baseball game.

I think it's interesting, he's a kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes a good guy, sometimes a jagbag. Hopefully when you meet him, you get the good guy, not the jagbag but you never know...

mahagga73
10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Confused by the bolded comment. Fisk was released/retired in 1993. His son was 21 years old at the time, so certainly wouldn't be playing in any little league baseball game.

I think it's interesting, he's a kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes a good guy, sometimes a jagbag. Hopefully when you meet him, you get the good guy, not the jagbag but you never know...
Casey was a pitcher on ISU's baseball team.He used to be at some of the games here in Normal.

Frontman
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM

Actually, I was wrong on the timing. He still was playing for the Sox at that time. I met him post retirement a few times. Sorry on the confusion there. His kid was in little league, so this would of been early/mid 80's.

Fisk Fan
11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
He definitely has some demons. Thank God he didn't hurt anyone.....

Bucky F. Dent
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM

+1, Spivack. I've seen too many lives ended or tragically altered to have any patience with this crap.

Red Barchetta
11-01-2012, 08:52 AM

What a great photo op! Imagine a picture of you and and a passed out Carlton Fisk in the cab of his truck! :D:

(I'm only laughing at this because no one was hurt besides Fisk's reputation).

doublem23
11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
(I'm only laughing at this because no one was hurt besides Fisk's reputation).

And his truck

white sox bill
11-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Yea one should not be ordering up a liter of Smirnoff and driving. I was in New Lenox for a seminar a number of yrs back and recall mentioning his name to someone. They told me that he lived sorta in the country, had a long lane and pretty much kept to himself. But that he would make a scene at some ballgames when he tried second guessing his kids manager. Her comment to me was "Hes not a nice man" FWIW

Hope he is going to be alright and he finds the help he needs