PDA

View Full Version : funny story involving an alleged cub fan

irish rover
07-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Not sure if you guys had read this in todays suntimes. But Mike Houlihan, an actor, writes a weekly column about an area of Chicago, in todays paper he writes about Lakeview and a pub called the Irish Oak, not much to it but he does mention the cubs and how the owner who is orginally from Ireland really didn't know who the cubs were until he was "brainwashed". but here is the funniest part of the article

"Opening Day is almost as big as St. Patrick's Day at the Irish Oak. Almost but not quite. In Chicago, everybody wants to be Irish on St. Paddy's Day. Billy gets a kick out of it.

"Two years ago this guy came up and asked for a pint of Guinness and a pint of Harp," he says. "So I put the two of 'em up on the counter, and he says, 'Which is the Guinness?' "

Must've been a Cub fan."

It appears Mr. Houlihan maybe a sox fan

http://www.suntimes.com/output/lifestyles/cst-nws-houli28.html

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by irish rover
"Two years ago this guy came up and asked for a pint of Guinness and a pint of Harp," he says. "So I put the two of 'em up on the counter, and he says, 'Which is the Guinness?' "
Harp is the tasty one; Guinness is the nasty one.

ISUSoxfan
07-29-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by irish rover

Must've been a Cub fan."
http://www.suntimes.com/output/lifestyles/cst-nws-houli28.html
No, a Cub fan would have looked at the Guinness and asked if it was decafinated.

SI1020
07-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan

No, a Cub fan would have looked at the Guinness and asked if it was decafinated. I'm old enough to remember when cubs fans were just regular guys and gals for the most part. Of course they were always foolish and misguided but in the 50's and 60's you didn't have these odd "trendy" types pathetic in their desire to do the "in" thing. I also remember when the neighborhood around Wrigley was just another blue collar Chicago community. The "cubification" of the north side has made large sections of that part of town unaffordable for the average person.

Cheryl
07-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
I'm old enough to remember when cubs fans were just regular guys and gals for the most part. Of course they were always foolish and misguided but in the 50's and 60's you didn't have these odd "trendy" types pathetic in their desire to do the "in" thing. I also remember when the neighborhood around Wrigley was just another blue collar Chicago community. The "cubification" of the north side has made large sections of that part of town unaffordable for the average person.

I have friends who grew up in Wrigleyville when it was a blue collar neighborhood not unlike Bridgeport. They went to St Andrews and Immaculata (girls high school at Irving and LSD, now it's an Islamic university). When they were old enough, they'd go straight from school to their ballpark and see a game before going home to supper. None of them are Cub fans anymore--they can't stand what's happened to their neighborhood or their ballpark.

SI1020
07-29-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I have friends who grew up in Wrigleyville when it was a blue collar neighborhood not unlike Bridgeport. They went to St Andrews and Immaculata (girls high school at Irving and LSD, now it's an Islamic university). When they were old enough, they'd go straight from school to their ballpark and see a game before going home to supper. None of them are Cub fans anymore--they can't stand what's happened to their neighborhood or their ballpark. Yes the whole thing is rather odd and sad at the same time. That's why I get so mad at JR and KW, I want the Sox to hang in there and win the battle for Chicago.