PDA

View Full Version : Sox Conference Call on Tuesday

Brian26
10-20-2012, 03:15 PM
The White Sox are holding a conference call with the media on Tuesday, and Whitesox Interactive has been asked to participate.

Brooks Boyer will be answering questions.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like addressed, please post them here. Our WSI representative on the call will ask the best questions to Brooks.

Thanks

Lip Man 1
10-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Brian et al:

Thanks for helping out with this. Can't do it because of a conflict with Idaho State's weekly football press conference.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Extensive surveys were held with Sox fans to try to get some answers on the attendance issue, outside of the ticket prices what were some of the other concerns the surveys revealed?

2. With the Cubs floundering and seemingly going to have a few more years having trouble winning games do you consider this a real opportunity to make inroads in the market? (I was going to ask this question to see if the Sox overall philosophy of not taking on the Cubs has changed or is it more of the "we are Chicago's American League team...")

3. You said to the media last week, that the lowering of ticket prices and revenue generated because of it would not impact the team payroll for this season. Does that mean that team payroll is more determined by other factors than just attendance? If so, what are the other areas more impactful.

Lip

bestkosher
10-20-2012, 04:54 PM
What are some ideas he has to refresh some of the stale promotional ideas such as mullet night.

Would the Sox be willing to do a lucky fan of the night promotion where someone gets free tickets even a 7th inning stretch component for someone who can actually through a ball from the pitching rubber to a catcher accurately.

Bringing back ball kids of the day where younger fans get a chance of being a ball girl or boy or assisting in the dugout.

And sort of what Lip said but what ideas does he have to make the ball park and the team more marketable with the younger players being in place and the World Series now in the distant past to most casual fans.

palehosepub
10-20-2012, 05:42 PM
This may be a bit of a self serving question but:

Will current season tickets holders get to buy or relocate season ticket seats prior to them going on sale to the public? (i.e. do they get the first crack?)

socko82
10-20-2012, 06:20 PM
The lower ticket prices are a great start but my question is how long are they going to hold their entire fan base responsible for the actions of a drunken father and son ten years ago? Can't they come up with some sort of system to allow ALL of your customers to enjoy the ENTIRE ballpark? Instead of making half your customers feel like second class citizens why not allow everyone to enjoy the statues, hall of fame, etc. Why continue to limit the fan experience for your law abiding, rule following fans because of your own past security short comings?

SoxFanCPA
10-20-2012, 06:32 PM
The lower ticket prices are a great start but my question is how long are they going to hold their entire fan base responsible for the actions of a drunken father and son ten years ago? Can't they come up with some sort of system to allow ALL of your customers to enjoy the ENTIRE ballpark? Instead of making half your customers feel like second class citizens why not allow everyone to enjoy the statues, hall of fame, etc. Why continue to limit the fan experience for your law abiding, rule following fans because of your own past security short comings?

How about ushers who actually enforce tickets at the sections?

DumpJerry
10-20-2012, 06:43 PM
The only people who can see the Hall of Fame are Scout Seat people.

yazz32
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Why the Miller Lite Beer Vendor Bobblehead is still a promotion night? I get Miller is a sponsor but surely a better giveaway can be done to attract said fans...

Warriorjan
10-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I agree with some of the things posted so far. I don't mind sitting in the upper deck, but it bothers me not to have access to the lower deck, even though I would rarely actually go down there.
Also, mentioning the Hall of Fame reminded me that they need to bring it back so the ordinary fan can see it. It's a great opportunity to educate the youngsters on the history of the Sox.
I would also appreciate it if they had someone competent running the scoreboard. Misspellings abound, sometimes what they post about a player's prior at-bat is just flat out wrong, and they have no sense of when to throw in the pre-recorded cheers/music and what is appropriate (I'm sorry, but playing the Go-Go White Sox song with Paul Konerko on first base and two outs when you're losing by five runs is just plain ridiculous).

keloms
10-21-2012, 12:16 AM
With the abundance of theme nights and corresponding discounts for tickets DIRECTLY from WhiteSox.com / Ticketmaster.com, the individual game prices were often cheaper for individual game buyers than it was for those of us that made significant upfront investments and commitments in ticket packages or as season tickets holders. Will this be addressed as well in the upcoming season?

SaltyPretzel
10-21-2012, 12:47 AM
How about wearing white socks, at least on Sundays?

Luis11
10-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Ask Brooks; with the Red Line under construction next summer, It would be a good time to utilize buses from Union/Northwestern Station directly to and from the Cell for selected games.

roylestillman
10-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Easy solution to the Hall of Fame is to incorporate it into the new store on 35th Street. Accessible to all and a draw to the store.

Here's an odd one. How about concessions/vendors in the parking lots. I love to tailgate, but there are times when I just don't feel like loading up the grills and the coolers. This might lead to the set up of a Yawkey Way type of arrangement.

The Sox also have to get rid of the "bum's rush" attitude at the end of the game. Closing concession stands early, including the souvenir stands and shops, the nightly announcement that you can stay for the press conference, but then the park is closed, and the Bullpen bar evacuation seemingly minutes after the game. The announcement should invite fans to Bicardi's and the Bullpen Bar and then allow them to stay open for a reasonable time after the game.

Total agreement on a refresh of promotion nights. Mullet night is an embarrassment, a self affirming stereotype.

Oh, and bring back straight A and perfect attendance give away for kids. I swear this made my family go to more games.

dickallen15
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Ask Brooks; with the Red Line under construction next summer, It would be a good time to utilize buses from Union/Northwestern Station directly to and from the Cell for selected games.

Red line will be running on Green line tracks south of Roosevelt. Not the huge problem at least from the north many think it will be. Just an extra 2 block walk to the park which may be offset by not having to deal with slow zones from Roosevelt to 35th.

dickallen15
10-21-2012, 08:12 AM

They fixed it. Shell out $20 for an outfield reserve ticket and you will have lower deck access.

DumpJerry
10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Why the Miller Lite Beer Vendor Bobblehead is still a promotion night? I get Miller is a sponsor but surely a better giveaway can be done to attract said fans...
So what? It's not like people stay away from the game because it is the Miller Lite Beer Vendor Bobblehead game. There are 81 home games, so an additonal giveaway can be used at another game.

Red line will be running on Green line tracks south of Roosevelt. Not the huge problem at least from the north many think it will be. Just an extra 2 block walk to the park which may be offset by not having to deal with slow zones from Roosevelt to 35th.
Agreed with dickallen. The Red Line is almost a mile from Union and Ogilvie stations, while the Green Line is two blocks from Ogilvie and about three block from the north exit of Union Station. The Red Line is the lesser desirable option for people arriving at those stations when compared to the Green Line.

Noneck
10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
The Red Line is almost a mile from Union and Ogilvie stations, while the Green Line is two blocks from Ogilvie and about three block from the north exit of Union Station. The Red Line is the lesser desirable option for people arriving at those stations when compared to the Green Line.

The green line has always been an option for these customers. The shutting down of the red line wont change things for them. If they used it before they will continue, if they didnt they still wont.

yazz32
10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
So what? It's not like people stay away from the game because it is the Miller Lite Beer Vendor Bobblehead game. There are 81 home games, so an additonal giveaway can be used at another game.

Agreed just some changes to the giveaways and themes should be considered . Seems they keep the same thing year after year. They did small changes this year, just need keep it going..

FielderJones
10-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Ask what is the rationale for keeping Dynamic Pricing. If the Sox price tickets right in the first place, there isn't going to be any profit to be made in the secondary market. Ask how much research the Sox do on the secondary market.

Bucky F. Dent
10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Showing my age with this one, but: is there any plan to down play the noise that gets piped in through the sound system and let fans enjoy the game.

SephClone89
10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Showing my age with this one, but: is there any plan to down play the noise that gets piped in through the sound system and let fans enjoy the game.

Myself and my twentysomething friends who go to games wholeheartedly agree with you.

Harry Potter
10-21-2012, 11:42 AM
This may be a bit of a self serving question but:

Will current season tickets holders get to buy or relocate season ticket seats prior to them going on sale to the public? (i.e. do they get the first crack?)

This.

Did they even have the promotion this summer where you vote for your favorite beer vendor (and the winner gets their likeness on the bobblehead the following season)? I don't recall seeing that this summer.

DumpJerry
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Did they even have the promotion this summer where you vote for your favorite beer vendor (and the winner gets their likeness on the bobblehead the following season)? I don't recall seeing that this summer.
They did not do it this year, so I'm thinking we won't have it next year.

skobabe8
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Myself and my twentysomething friends who go to games wholeheartedly agree with you.

I agree with this too.

To me, it's an amazing thing when there is a big moment in a game and the whole crowd starts to cheer for a strikeout or a big hit. When that awful noise meter comes on the screen during a ho-hum at bat in the 4th inning, I cringe.

Speaking of the scoreboard, when will we get a major league worthy one? For a franchise that pushed the envelope in scoreboards in the 60s and 70s, we have almost accepted the fact that ours is currently among the worst in the league.

Harry Potter
10-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I agree with this too.

To me, it's an amazing thing when there is a big moment in a game and the whole crowd starts to cheer for a strikeout or a big hit. When that awful noise meter comes on the screen during a ho-hum at bat in the 4th inning, I cringe.

"Everybody clap your hands!" :mad:

ChiSoxFann
10-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Speaking of the scoreboard, when will we get a major league worthy one? For a franchise that pushed the envelope in scoreboards in the 60s and 70s, we have almost accepted the fact that ours is currently among the worst in the league.

I cannot agree more. I went to Milwaukee this year and their new larger, HD board is amazing and I see places like Kansas City, Cleveland, Atlanta and even Detroit getting new scoreboards while ours is looking weak by comparison.

I wish they would tear out everything on the CF board below the pinwheels and just make it one huge HD board. You can display so many more stats, have places for ads and use the entire board for video replays or the in-between innings activities.

russ99
10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd ask why dynamic pricing is going to continue, it's an abject failure and a big part of why it was hard to attract casual fans to come to the park this year.

Also, why the need to spend resources to hire a PR guy to listen to Sox fans when that's part of Brooks' job?

Nice move to lower prices, but the condescending and adversarial attitude to the non-premium customers continues.

ChicagoG19
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
1.) As many have already suggested, I would ask why they plan to continue to use dynamic pricing. It was the most frustrating to me to see tons of empty seats in the outfield and they RAISED prices as game day approached.

2.)What are the planned improvements, if any, to the ballpark during the upcoming season? (e.g. new scoreboard).

3.)Can they please do everything in their power to get John Rooney back? Though I imagine it would be tough given it's probably more enjoyable for him to call the Cardinals every year because of their deep runs into the playoffs.

4.) Will they do anything to try to counteract the negative stigma of the neighborhood? I am sure that all the reports this summer of people getting murdered on the Southside certainly didn't help the perception of suburbanite families that don't venture into the city and more specifically to the southside very often.

Mr. Jinx
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Easy solution to the Hall of Fame is to incorporate it into the new store on 35th Street. Accessible to all and a draw to the store.

Here's an odd one. How about concessions/vendors in the parking lots. I love to tailgate, but there are times when I just don't feel like loading up the grills and the coolers. This might lead to the set up of a Yawkey Way type of arrangement.

The Sox also have to get rid of the "bum's rush" attitude at the end of the game. Closing concession stands early, including the souvenir stands and shops, the nightly announcement that you can stay for the press conference, but then the park is closed, and the Bullpen bar evacuation seemingly minutes after the game. The announcement should invite fans to Bicardi's and the Bullpen Bar and then allow them to stay open for a reasonable time after the game.

Total agreement on a refresh of promotion nights. Mullet night is an embarrassment, a self affirming stereotype.

Oh, and bring back straight A and perfect attendance give away for kids. I swear this made my family go to more games.

Completely agree. I like to go back to my car after a game and enjoy a soda or two and let the traffic dissipate. Every time, security comes by and tells me to leave almost as soon as I get back to my car. For what? To sit in a line for 20 minutes just to get to the Ryan? What's the rush? It isn't like I'm hanging out there hours after a game.

I also remember once going to the bullpen bar after a game, ordering a 22 oz bomber, and then being told that the bar was closed 5 minutes later. Real nice to sell me a beer only to turn around and tell me to pour it out leave almost immediately after.

Noneck
10-21-2012, 07:58 PM

I cannot agree more. I went to Milwaukee this year and their new larger, HD board is amazing and I see places like Kansas City, Cleveland, Atlanta and even Detroit getting new scoreboards while ours is looking weak by comparison.

I wish they would tear out everything on the CF board below the pinwheels and just make it one huge HD board. You can display so many more stats, have places for ads and use the entire board for video replays or the in-between innings activities.

Both great points. The Sox have to give the fans what the other club in Chicago cant. Give the fans the best not something that is already antiquated.

Hunker down
10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
"Everybody clap your hands!" :mad: +1

Mr. Jinx
10-21-2012, 08:55 PM
"everybody clap your hands!" :mad: +1

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

mrfourni
10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
"Everybody clap your hands!" :mad: +1

I know I need to know the proper way we sox fans spell rowdy (r-o-w-d-I-e) every 10 seconds

tebman
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM

I responded to that fan survey too, and among my comments I talked about the CF scoreboard. It needs to actually show the score and it needs to embrace the in-your-face goofiness of Veeck's 1960 original -- lights, sound effects, and all.

There's no reason it couldn't carry the line score and still have plenty of room for a gonzo video board along with ad space. The home-run fireworks are still good, but the board itself is toothless and tame as compared to its 1960s ancestor.

I see film clips of the old board in its full home-run gallop and watch the lights bounce randomly while Roman candles sparkle out of the top, and wonder why the current board can't do that. Technology is light years ahead of 1960 and there certainly would be sponsors willing to put their names on an attraction like that. In "Veeck As In Wreck," he described how the 1960 monster was built without any upfront expense by the White Sox: the display company who designed it arranged for the ad space and the board paid for itself in a few years.

The Sox haven't run with that, and I don't get it.

34rancher
10-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Ask what is the rationale for keeping Dynamic Pricing. If the Sox price tickets right in the first place, there isn't going to be any profit to be made in the secondary market. Ask how much research the Sox do on the secondary market.

+1 on getting rid of the Dynamic and Premium Game pricing. It's an embarrassing to the respect of the game.

+1 on the scoreboard idea someone else mentioned. After going to KC, it's obvious we are behind the times.

How about information on the Metra station. Anyway to play that up, as more trains info would help draw people in.

Help develop the neighborhood with respect to place to eat and hang out. It seems too obvious.

roylestillman
10-22-2012, 06:41 AM
I really don't want the KC or Yankees style scoreboards, which I think are overwhelming. Tebman's idea of the 60's style framing of the new screen is perfect. Given that the current screen made its appearance in 2003, I wonder if it has paid itself off yet.

Metra has mishandled the 35th Stret station by dropping the Ravinia style specials after the game that they ran during the first year. (which may have been a bit more successful if conductors actually collected fares.) Their current outbound schedule doesn't have an outbound train show up at 35th until 11:21 after a night game, too late for a normal 10:00ish end time of a game.

Wedema
10-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I responded to that fan survey too, and among my comments I talked about the CF scoreboard. It needs to actually show the score and it needs to embrace the in-your-face goofiness of Veeck's 1960 original -- lights, sound effects, and all.

There's no reason it couldn't carry the line score and still have plenty of room for a gonzo video board along with ad space. The home-run fireworks are still good, but the board itself is toothless and tame as compared to its 1960s ancestor.

I see film clips of the old board in its full home-run gallop and watch the lights bounce randomly while Roman candles sparkle out of the top, and wonder why the current board can't do that. Technology is light years ahead of 1960 and there certainly would be sponsors willing to put their names on an attraction like that. In "Veeck As In Wreck," he described how the 1960 monster was built without any upfront expense by the White Sox: the display company who designed it arranged for the ad space and the board paid for itself in a few years.

The fireworks currently come from the scaffolding in the players parking lot and not the scoreboard.

tebman
10-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The fireworks currently come from the scaffolding in the players parking lot and not the scoreboard.

That's true. It's a site limitation given the position of the board in relation to the neighboring building. But the fireworks' lanching position doesn't change the point of my comment about the pedestrian way the board currently celebrates a home run.

It's not simple nostalgia for 1960. Home runs were then, and still are, relatively rare things that bring on eruptions of noise from the crowd. Veeck's fun-at-the-ballpark insight was that the scoreboard should join in the celebration just like the noisy pinball machine that was its inspiration. The scoreboard's act was different every time because the patterns of the lights and the sound effects were randomized.

It was such an over-the-top addition to the game that it wasn't long before other teams adopted similar stunts. What we have now is an increase in the noise floor: fan noise meters, "everybody clap your hands," "r-o-w-d-i-e," and all the rest. I just think that with some imagination and money from a couple of sponsors the White Sox could recapture their legacy for creative enjoyment.

salty99
10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
When are they bringing back the Flying Sock logo?

Foulke You
10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
I know I need to know the proper way we sox fans spell rowdy (r-o-w-d-I-e) every 10 seconds
"R-O-W-D-I-E, Let's get rowdie, Woo!" is definitely one of my pet peeves at the park. Not only is it annoying but the crowd never responds to it. The "everybody clap your hands" gets a big response and it is used in most ballparks these days. However, we are the only ones loyal to the "R-O-W-D-I-E" chant that is usually followed by crickets chirping and silence. This has been a staple since the balllpark was still New Comiskey though. Someone in the ballpark entertainment dept. likes it. I don't see it leaving anytime soon unfortunately.

Jerko
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM

I agree with this 100% Make the fans feel like you, ya know, actually WANT us there. I was there twice this year for 1:10 starts and they werre clearing the place out by 4:00.

doogiec
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM

The scoreboard could use a technology update, but even more so, would benefit from having operators that actually consider what the fans might want to see.

At one of the late season Cleveland games, when the Sox were still very much in the race, I got to my seats about 30 minutes early to have dinner. You would think they would have the out of town scoreboard running, as the Tigers game was well underway. Instead, they had a giant Sox logo and "US Cellular Field" on the board all the way to the line up announcements. Then, during the game between innings, instead of showing the Tigers score, they ran "Great Moments in Cleveland/White Sox history" and "Great Players in Cleveland History" over and over again.

They are so obsessed with logos/graphics and pointless trivia on the centerfield and right field scoreboards. I understand the need to run ads from time to time. But when they are not, how about some relevant information like we can easily get at home.

And if you think they don't have enough people to accomplish this, take a look at how many people they employ to run the scoreboard:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=cws

Other ballparks not only have larger scoreboards, but they use the space they have much better.

XplodingScorbord
10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
A fave of this forum: Can we get more organ music, and less canned crap? It should be 90% organ music, 8% canned Let's Go Go Go White Sox, and 2% Thunderstruck or something else if you want to start the game with a theme. Nothing else is needed.

I long for the days of Nancy Faust playing cool renditions of pop songs. I do not long for songs I can hear any day any time on the radio or my iPod.

shingo10
10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
A fave of this forum: Can we get more organ music, and less canned crap? It should be 90% organ music, 8% canned Let's Go Go Go White Sox, and 2% Thunderstruck or something else if you want to start the game with a theme. Nothing else is needed.

I long for the days of Nancy Faust playing cool renditions of pop songs. I do not long for songs I can hear any day any time on the radio or my iPod.

It would be nice if they turned the music down a touch as well as Gene Hondas microphone so that you can have a conversation without screaming.

fisk4ever
10-22-2012, 09:39 PM

I so agree! Let us listen to the game.

fisk4ever
10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Probably not the occasion to bring up the announcing situation.

On the other hand, there were some real positives this year, starting with Robin.

Lip Man 1
10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
My thinking is that Brooks is going to want to concentrate if possible on the announcement of the ticket price reductions and the main overall reasons for the attendance decline for the past six seasons in his call with web sites on Tuesday, I have no inside info on that...simply my impression.

Lip

Hitmen77
10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
My thinking is that Brooks is going to want to concentrate if possible on the announcement of the ticket price reductions and the main overall reasons for the attendance decline for the past six seasons in his call with web sites on Tuesday, I have no inside info on that...simply my impression.

Lip

I know this is out of Boyer's realm, but I really would like to know if the Sox realize that the #1 main reason attendance has declined dramatically the last 6 years is the disappointing results on the field season after season.

I'm glad ownership has been willing to pony up money for payroll in recent years, but do they realize that something needs to be done to vastly improve the depth/talent in this organization. Mostly relying on "scrap heap" acquisitions and spending a lot of money on players like Adam Dunn isn't going to make this team a consistent pennant contender.

Until Sox ownership/management figure this out, attendance will continue to flounder even if we talk about these other factors until we're blue in the face.

..... What we have now is an increase in the noise floor: fan noise meters, "everybody clap your hands," "r-o-w-d-i-e," and all the rest. I just think that with some imagination and money from a couple of sponsors the White Sox could recapture their legacy for creative enjoyment.

I know those things aren't going to go away. My problem is that they seem to do these things over and over again at the Cell. The overall music selection is lame and stale.

The only people who can see the Hall of Fame are Scout Seat people.

....and only people in the skyboxes can see the World Series trophy if I'm not mistaken. Why isn't that trophy out there in the main concourse for everyone to see? It sort of fits with the image of Sox ownership too focused on corporate clients (who are important, no doubt) at the expense of average fans.

Hitmen77
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
They fixed it. Shell out $20 for an outfield reserve ticket and you will have lower deck access.

How is telling fans to quit complaining and buy outfield reserved tickets going to help the Sox sell more upper deck seats? :scratch: There aren't enough outfield reserve seats to solve the Sox attendance problem.

I really don't know if the upper deck quarantine policy is really a big factor in ticket sales, but maybe it's time that the Sox took a closer look at it. My guess is that it's not the main reason people avoid the UD, but it probably doesn't help. It's likely just one more thing that feeds into the bad perception the UD has even if people up there seldom venture downstairs.

I personally don't have a problem with going to some games with nice seats in the upper deck and staying there. But if the point of this discussion with Sox management is to brainstorm for ways to improve ticket sales and the fan experience, I sure the hell hope their response isn't just to tell people to stop complaining and by outfield seats if they don't like it.

russ99
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
How is telling fans to quit complaining and buy outfield reserved tickets going to help the Sox sell more upper deck seats? :scratch: There aren't enough outfield reserve seats to solve the Sox attendance problem.

I really don't know if the upper deck quarantine policy is really a big factor in ticket sales, but maybe it's time that the Sox took a closer look at it. My guess is that it's not the main reason people avoid the UD, but it probably doesn't help. It's likely just one more thing that feeds into the bad perception the UD has even if people up there seldom venture downstairs.

I personally don't have a problem with going to some games with nice seats in the upper deck and staying there. But if the point of this discussion with Sox management is to brainstorm for ways to improve ticket sales and the fan experience, I sure the hell hope their response isn't just to tell people to stop complaining and by outfield seats if they don't like it.

The Sox have made an effort to improve things on the upper deck concourse, but it's just not the same experience.

IMO the whole Ligue thing was an excuse by the team to separate the park into areas for different classes of fans, which was extended by the scout seats claiming the best seats in the park (and the hall of fame), and the gangstering of the outfield fan deck for day of game rental after one season.

And yes, I've complained to my ticket rep about such things time and time again, so it's obvious to me that these concerns by everyday fans are being ignored.

Lip Man 1
10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Russ:

Media people like Bill Gleason were writing in the early 80's that this was part of the Sox plan all along, remember the "golden boxes" concept?

That in effect separating the high rollers from the average working stiff is an ingrained part of the philosophy.

I don't know if that is the case or not, but there does seem to be some evidence to support that belief.

Lip

doublem23
10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
And yes, I've complained to my ticket rep about such things time and time again, so it's obvious to me that these concerns by everyday fans are being ignored.

Give me a break. I'm sure the Sox have heard plenty of griping about the UD policy they just feel it's a better way to run their business. Your post reeks of entitlement. Just because they don't implement or agree with every single little thing you think they're doing wrong doesn't mean at all it's being "ignored." It's possible to gather data, evaluate it, and then make a choice that not all customers will agree with. You don't even have anything other than anecdotal evidence that you're in the majority opinion.

The long problem wasn't that the Sox closed off the Lower Bowl to Upper Deck ticket holders. The problem was there wasn't a really competitively priced Lower Bowl ticket. Now there is. Win-win.

SephClone89
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Interested to see the single game price cuts when we get there--on Fan Appreciation Day, I got a whole handful of those "buy 1 lower reserved, get 1 free" vouchers for weekday April games--might be an even better deal than I imagined.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Add me to this party as well.

SephClone89
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
By the way, is there any truth to initial reports that Prime and Premier pricing is dead?

I somehow doubt it, as a vast majority of MLB teams have the same sort of tiered pricing.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
It would be nice if they turned the music down a touch as well as Gene Hondas microphone so that you can have a conversation without screaming.

Those days seem a distant memory now.

Oh,one other question for Brooks:

When is your radio play by play team going to change? Farmer is a very credible analyst,but,IMO, he is not a play by play guy.
DJ,once again,IMO,has got to go. He just rubs me the wrong way with all his cute phrases (i.e. "great goobly woo").

Wedema
10-23-2012, 10:30 AM
By the way, is there any truth to initial reports that Prime and Premier pricing is dead?

I somehow doubt it, as a vast majority of MLB teams have the same sort of tiered pricing.

It looks like Prime and Premier pricing is dead as the Sox have said that only Opening Day and the two Cub games will be higher priced tickets. They should leave the Cub games as regular games also as they did not sell out last year during the summer and they are now on school nights in May (unless the Memorial Day game is a day game). The only tiered pricing will be in the Premium lower boxes as they will have 3 tiers with the seats closest to the field more expensive and the last rows the cheapest.

Wedema
10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
The White Sox are holding a conference call with the media on Tuesday, and Whitesox Interactive has been asked to participate.

Brooks Boyer will be answering questions.

If anyone has any specific questions they would like addressed, please post them here. Our WSI representative on the call will ask the best questions to Brooks.

Thanks

Wll the questions and answers from the conference call be posted here today?

palehosepub
10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
The Sox have made an effort to improve things on the upper deck concourse, but it's just not the same experience.

IMO the whole Ligue thing was an excuse by the team to separate the park into areas for different classes of fans, which was extended by the scout seats claiming the best seats in the park (and the hall of fame), and the gangstering of the outfield fan deck for day of game rental after one season.

I know it has been brought up before but the problem is that many fans would buy an upperdeck ticket and hang out in the lower deck and concourse. For those who spent good $ on their lower deck seats they were left to deal with an overcrowded lower deck concourse and ridiculous lines for the bathrooms. The reality is that there is still a good % of fans who don't like the upper deck experience and would rather stand in the lower deck or sit in open LD seats as opposed to sitting in the seats they bought in the UD. I think the Sox did the right thing by allowing UD season ticket holders the right to access the lower deck but if you allow anyone who bought a single game UD ticket to overcrowd the bathrooms etc than you ruin the experience of people who spent the money to sit in the LD. There is still a bad perception problem with many fans about the UD. I have heard people say they feel like they are watching other people watch the game while sitting up there. It appears to be a bigger issue at USCF than other stadiums with equally higher upper decks (Cleveland for example)

Chez
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Lip:

As others have posted, I love loud music, but I don't love it between every pitch. Organ music is fine. 5 seconds of canned music between every pitch is not.

And I've posted this in the ticket reduction thread, but I don't think full season ticket holders who have seats in the "premier" tier should have to subsidize the price cuts around the park. I'm okay with no price cut, but I'll be disappointed if my ticket prices increase. I've been a loyal season ticket holder for 25 years and weathered multiple significant price increases over the years to see a lot of mediocre baseball. :geezer:

Domeshot17
10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Not sure if I am too late for this or not:

One question I have is do the Sox feel that the targeting of new fans, less passionate (Cub Converts), they are hindering the experience for passionate, long-term fans.

My biggest thought is back in 03-07, When the Sox would win, the Tunnels were roof shaking with chants of "Lets Go White Sox".... This seems to fade more and more each year.

What can the White Sox do to relight that fire, that passion?

doublem23
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
My biggest thought is back in 03-07, When the Sox would win, the Tunnels were roof shaking with chants of "Lets Go White Sox".... This seems to fade more and more each year.

I went to plenty of games during that stretch and I heard that chant on the walk out the park after a game... maybe twice. And even then, to say the roofs were shaking would be quite a stretch.

Domeshot17
10-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I went to plenty of games during that stretch and I heard that chant on the walk out the park after a game... maybe twice. And even then, to say the roofs were shaking would be quite a stretch.

I won't lie, its been 10 years, I could be remembering this more around world series time, but I went to probably 15 games in 05, and then shared season tickets with a member of WSI in 06, and I remember the energy from those 2 seasons being totally unmatched. I thought I recall it prior to 05 and the WS run, but its been a while :whiner:

Golden Sox
10-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Lip: Bill Gleason said alot of things. The night before the final vote in Springfield to vote for the funding of the new Comiskey Park, Gleason told me he was sick of the Reinsdorf/Einhorn ownership and hoped they would move the team to St. Pete. He said St. Pete would be a graveyard for baseball. He also said Chicago would get another American League team after the White Sox went to Florida. After the White Sox stayed in Chicago Gleason went on the Score a few years later and said the White Sox paid off the politicians to get the deal done here in Chicago. Gleason said alot of things, some of which were absolutely crazy. Probably the one thing he did that topped everything else was when he left the Chicago Sun Times because he said was being discriminated against because of his age and then becoming a has been in Chicago. If he would not of quit the Sun Times like he did the Sun Times would not of hired the one and only Count Dracula of journalism, Jay Mariotti.

palehosepub
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
"the one and only Count Dracula of journalism, Jay Mariotti"

That's the nicest qoute about that dirtbag that I have ever read.

JB98
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Wll the questions and answers from the conference call be posted here today?

PHG and myself were on the conference call. I won't be posting a full transcript because time doesn't allow for it, but I'll post the key points from today's discussion a little later this afternoon.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2012, 02:51 PM
"the one and only Count Dracula of journalism, Jay Mariotti"

:moron

"I'm no bloodsucker." :D:

Wedema
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
PHG and myself were on the conference call. I won't be posting a full transcript because time doesn't allow for it, but I'll post the key points from today's discussion a little later this afternoon.

Thanks, I can't wait to hear some of the key points of the call.