PDA

View Full Version : Lower ticket prices in '13

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
All of these Tweets below are from this morning. Not sure the parking drop will be enough, but it's a start. A report also just came over The Score (in an update) that STH prices are dropping something like 26% on average.

Daryl Van Schouwen @CST_soxvan
White Sox will be 'taking aggressive steps to lower cost of attending games next season'

Sox lowering ticket prices, 'creating affordable seating options that will be available to fans in lower and upper levels on daily basis.'

On a daily basis, corner seats in lower deck available for $20 and upper deck corner seats for $7, all season except for Opening Day, Cubs

Parking also is being dropped – to $20 (down from $25 and $23).

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan
Cheaper season ticket options as well.

roylestillman
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Please tell me that dynamic pricing is dead.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Based on the $7 and $20 for ALL games (except OD and Cubs), it sure sounds like it might be.

Madvora
10-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Nice job White Sox.

amsteel
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
25% is a big drop. Perhaps a prelude to a BIG payroll cut?

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM

That's what I'm concerned of, although there's not much they can drop from the team's payroll (yet).

I'm also trying to find something more on this (at least in terms of the percentages The Score put out there), but I can't come up with anything yet.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Well here's something (http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/10/18/3520008/white-sox-ticket-prices-2013) more informative on it.

Full-Season Ticket Packages:
Outfield Reserved - Dropping 30%
Bleachers - Dropping 32%
Premium Upper Box - Dropping 17%
Upper Box - Dropping 28%
Upper Reserved - Dropping 17%

Weekday plans have similar drops, but range from 23% - 38%.

Also, apparently Sundays will feature $10 parking.

beasly213
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
The Sox listened to the fans. $20 is very reasonable for lower deck tickets and $7 is also a great deal for uppers.

Now, will people come out?

skobabe8
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I would be much more inclined to attend more games (more than 4 this year) next year if these tweets are true.

doublem23
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
The Sox listened to the fans. $20 is very reasonable for lower deck tickets and $7 is also a great deal for uppers.

I agree, I like the corner OF sections, $20 is a steal. If this is true, I might buy a partial season ticket plan.

aryzner
10-18-2012, 10:35 AM
This will honestly get me out to more games next season, I'm not kidding. I like this news a lot.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I agree, I like the corner OF sections, $20 is a steal. If this is true, I might buy a partial season ticket plan.

And you can find one of those for as low as $297 per seat (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-cutting-2013-ticket-prices-20121018,0,1655301.story).

This is awesome news (and not just because my group's season tickets in 158 are dropping by 30%).

bunkaroo
10-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Fantastic news. I have a $480 credit from the ALDS strip I bought and was planning to buy a 7 game plan. Now I'll probably buy a 14 game plan, and will probably go to more Sunday games too.

Hendu
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Great news. I'll definitely be going to more games next year.

#1swisher
10-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Full season tickets in the upper reserved section will be available for as low as $810 per seat, and split season plans will be as cheap as $297 per seat.

The season-ticket holders who will have a price increase will be contacted personally by the team.

The White Sox paid Rich Luker, the creator of The ESPN Sports Poll, to review Sox fans' sentiments on several issues.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-cutting-2013-ticket-prices-20121018,0,1655301.story

Harry Potter
10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
From an e-mail I received

Our ticket sales staff is beginning to contact season ticket holders this week, so we wanted to get this basic information to you first.

Overall, we are taking aggressive steps to decrease the cost of attending a White Sox baseball game in 2013. Two of those steps are lowering ticket prices and creating affordable seating options that will be available to fans in both the lower and upper levels on a daily basis.

Below are some of the more notable items about ticket pricing for this upcoming season.

· Near the end of the 2012 season, the White Sox commissioned a comprehensive research project by Rich Luker, the creator of The ESPN Sports Poll, author of “Simple Community,” and the Up Next trend columnist for Sports Business Journal, who helped examine White Sox fan sentiments on a variety of issues, including ticket prices, and other factors affecting the decision to attend White Sox games.
· The club took the results of the research, feedback on dynamic ticket prices -- which has been utilized by the White Sox since 2010 -- as well secondary market prices (from sites such as Stub Hub) and created a new ticket pricing model that provides fans more value opportunities to attend games.
· More than 87% of all full season tickets for the 2013 season are either dropping in price or staying the same; with more than 54% of the full season tickets dropping an average of 26%.
· The biggest drop in season ticket prices for 2013 are in the Bleacher and Outfield Reserved sections, which are dropping 32 and 30 percent, respectively (for full season tickets). For example, for the 2013 season four full season Bleacher tickets will cost $2,800 less than in 2012.
· Furthermore, full season tickets will be available for as low as $810/per seat and split season plans for as low as $297/per seat (both Upper Reserved).
· On split season tickets, all 27-game plans are decreasing in price, an average of over 25%.
· On a daily basis, corner seats in the lower deck will be available for $20 per game and upper deck corner seats will be available for $7, all season long (excluding only Opening Day and the two Cubs games in May) – which accounts for nearly 5,000 seats per game.
· The cost of parking also is being dropped – to $20 (down from $25 and $23).
· The season ticket holders who will receive decreases in their tickets will have that reflected in their invoices for 2013, which they will receive the coming weeks. The small number of fans who will see a ticket price increase – due to the high demand of their current locations– are being personally contacted by the White Sox.
· There will be additional announcements regarding pricing for seven and 14-game ticket plans, and individual tickets later this offseason.

Feel free to use any of this information at any time.

If you have any questions or if you are interested in speaking with Brooks Boyer about the new ticket pricing or Rich Luker regarding the White Sox fan research, do not hesitate to contact me.

beasly213
10-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Ditto. I'm going to e-mail the Sox and find out more info.

DonnieDarko
10-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, too. Good to see that they actually listened to people. Now they just need to show up.

ChiSoxGal85
10-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Terrific news. Kudos for listening, White Sox!

TheOldRoman
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow. Good job on taking the initiative and hiring this guy to do the research. One of the things Arte Moreno did when he bought the Angels was a bunch of fan surveys, which lead to him decreasing ticket prices, making beer cheaper, and many other things. Obviously the Angels are in a much different situation financially and market-wise, but listening to the fans has worked for them. I hope this study leads to more comprehensive change in the Sox' marketing and public relations.

This is huge for the Sox. I don't think it will turn things around and create a huge amount of enthusiasm about a "new direction" for the franchise (because I don't think anything short of new ownership would do that), but I think it will help create a buzz about the team. You've got to get people into the park to build fans. You have to make a good atmosphere which looks enticing on TV. That's what the Cubs did. The Cell is not and never will be Wrigley, but the same concept applies. Nobody likes sitting in an empty park. Hell, even if you only fill the lower deck (I believe 28,000) that will look SO much better on TV broadcasts. People going to a handful of cheap games now, be they fans or just people looking for something to do, are going to be more likely to spend much more money on the team later.

jdm2662
10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
If I didn't have an infant, I would be inclined to go to more games. I did make it to five last season. Maybe the little one will experience his first game next season.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Very good move by the Sox.

Lip

roylestillman
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I've got a share of a friend's season ticket plan, but this will definitely make day of game decisions to go much more appealing to me. Those extra wide corner seats in the lower deck are some of my favorites.

Chez
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Great move by the Sox. Hopefully this will mean a fuller ballpark on most days/nights -- though Im always amazed at the number of reasons/excuses Sox fans invent to justify not showing up. In my opinion, cost was the only legitimate excuse for most people.

PatK
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Like many of you are posting, this means I'll go to more games.

Would be nice if parking dropped to $15, but I'll take it.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Still no word on dynamic pricing, but apparently Brooks says they're eliminating prime and premier pricing (http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-whitesox/whitesox-talk/White-Sox-to-reduce-ticket-prices?blockID=790433&feedID=10338). In the Tweet I got this link from, Dan Hayes said a club official mentioned wanting to reconnect with the fan base.

amsteel
10-18-2012, 12:44 PM
So Club Level, Lower Box, Premium Lower, and Gold Coast & Scout Seats are staying the same/increasing?

I have a feeling alot of people in Lower Box will jump to a different section.

PaleHoser
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Tribune story here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-cutting-2013-ticket-prices-20121018,0,1655301.story). Not sure if it includes any details that haven't already been raised in this thread.

Christmas comes early this year. :gulp:

thomas35forever
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
If this thread is a nutshell of the fan base's reaction to this, hope the Sox realize now what played a big part in keeping fans away last season.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
If this thread is a nutshell of the fan base's reaction to this, hope the Sox realize now what played a big part in keeping fans away last season.

I think - for the sake of the casual fans - they still need to help market the hell out of the neighborhood and area surrounding the park (as being safe, clean, etc.), but this is a start.

Procol Harum
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Outstanding move both in the ticket price drop and--particularly for we suburbanite-types--the drop in the parking prices. More games for me next year.

kobo
10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Like many of you are posting, this means I'll go to more games.

Would be nice if parking dropped to $15, but I'll take it.
Was thinking the same, but at least the organization is finally listening and paying attention to fans. About damn time. I am definitely going to go to more games next year even though I'll be living even farther away from the park.

WhiteSox5187
10-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Great move by the White Sox, kudos to them for listening to their fan base.

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Excellent news, even though this does not affect me since I live 1250 miles southeast of USCF it's a very big step in the right direction. It makes me feel good that management has listened to the fans. I was saddened so much this year to see a team that was in first place for much of the year playing before a half empty ballpark. If fans do not step up and attend more games next year then the fan base is much smaller than we all thought it was.

Noneck
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
If the pricing strategy is followed by a payroll decrease or the sos, it wont mean much. So the next step should be to go for the jugular. Do whatever it takes to not only compete but to win a division. The other club in Chicago is going to be in disarray for at least a couple years, now is the time to make the big push.

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Dumb question on my part,but I have to ask it:

With all the pricing changes,will this affect the price of food at the park?

I love a good Vienna Beef Hot Dog at the game,but $5.25 is a bit much for me.Yes, I know prices are higher on the East ( and West) Coasts,but I was just curious.

Mr. Jinx
10-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Dumb question on my part,but I have to ask it:

With all the pricing changes,will this affect the price of food at the park?

I love a good Vienna Beef Hot Dog at the game,but $5.25 is a bit much for me.Yes, I know prices are higher on the East ( and West) Coasts,but I was just curious.

I would imagine it won't effect food prices. The number of people who don't go to games because concession prices are too high is surely far less than the number who don't go due to the price of tickets or parking.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
If the pricing strategy is followed by a payroll decrease or the sos, it wont mean much. So the next step should be to go for the jugular. Do whatever it takes to not only compete but to win a division. The other club in Chicago is going to be in disarray for at least a couple years, now is the time to make the big push.

It'll be interesting to see what's next. Not only have they listened to the fans, but they've done something drastic that I never thought I'd see (to this extent, at least). I'm curious if this signals the beginning of a significant attempt to pull casual fans away from the Cubs during a very vulnerable time for them.

hawkjt
10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Smart move by the Sox....good for them!

Time to support this team next year.

palehosepub
10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
So Club Level, Lower Box, Premium Lower, and Gold Coast & Scout Seats are staying the same/increasing?

My thought exactly - I am in the premium lower deck box but not in the "primo" sections within 15 rows of the field and close to the plate. I will probably trade down next year because the pricing differential looks to be substantial- unless they could be move me down and closer to the field (which I hear every year "there is nothing available" and yet I meet new STH's that moved into the "primo" areas). It doesnt make to pay the premium prices if you are on the fringes.

tebman
10-18-2012, 02:23 PM
I would imagine it won't effect food prices. The number of people who don't go to games because concession prices are too high is surely far less than the number who don't go due to the price of tickets or parking.

I remember reading a letter to the editor of one of the Chicago papers back in the mid-1960s complaining about the price of concessions at a White Sox game. The menu was more limited in those days, but as I recall it was 25 cents for pop and 40 cents for a hot dog. The author of the letter didn't like it, because the going price elsewhere for a cup or bottle of pop was 10 cents and a hot dog was less than 40 cents. The numbers seem comically small now, but in comparision the ballpark prices were way high.

Concessions will always be a big profit center at a ballgame, just like it is at a movie theater. I'm happy the Sox have encouraged tailgating before the game since that usually saves me big money on ballpark food and drinks.

Back on topic, the ticket-price changes are a great move! Now the Sox need to trumpet the fact that they've reduced prices 25-30% while the Other Team has reduced prices 2%, and that after a 101-loss season! :tongue:

lpneck
10-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Great news and hopefully just a start, as referenced by Brooks.

I don't think the Sox will be able to appreciably slash payroll next year no matter what, other than not resigning Peavy, AJ, and Youkilis (and of those 3 I'm pretty sure AJ is the only one I would be interested in for about 2/8-10M.) Could mean trouble with resigning Floyd, which might not be a mistake either.

I'm much less interested in what the Sox total payroll is in the future than I am about them getting value for that payroll. When your payroll is $90-100M, you can afford about one mistake, not five or six.

Is there any confirmation on the previously mentioned $10 parking on Sundays? That would be HUGE for me as I am an out-of-town fan who brings my family a few weekends a year for Saturday night/Sunday afternoon games.

This will also mean that walk-up sales will start back up- I am so glad I don't have to do research on the internet or find deals on stubhub to get tickets that are priced appropriately. If I can walk up the ticket gate on the day of a game and get a $20 or $7 ticket and not have to pay Ticketmaster fees? Wow.

MARTINMVP
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
If I can walk up the ticket gate on the day of a game and get a $20 or $7 ticket and not have to pay Ticketmaster fees? Wow.

You certainly said it.. no Ticketmaster or StubHub fees.

Sox fans have more incentive to purchase tickets from WhiteSox.com.

WhiffleBall
10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
My thought exactly - I am in the premium lower deck box but not in the "primo" sections within 15 rows of the field and close to the plate. I will probably trade down next year because the pricing differential looks to be substantial- unless they could be move me down and closer to the field (which I hear every year "there is nothing available" and yet I meet new STH's that moved into the "primo" areas). It doesnt make to pay the premium prices if you are on the fringes.

Correct, those really good seats should be get special "gold box" type status and pricing. First 5 rows between the bases would command a serious premium AND could probably get naming rights money yet those ticket holders pay the same as the seats in the last row in those sections. The only people who would complain would be the long time ticket holders who have those seats.

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
You certainly said it.. no Ticketmaster or StubHub fees.

Sox fans have more incentive to purchase tickets from WhiteSox.com.

WALKUP is the key word, I would guess that Walkups were miniscule the last few years. Back in the day the Sox depending on what kind of Spring they had, would have big walkup crowds in the summer. When I lived up there most of the games we attended were as walkups as I worked nights. You saw it was a nice day, the Sox were playing well and I said lets go the Sox game tonight and off we went. No one wants to spend time on the net searching for tickets and best prices, they want to hop in the car, go down to the park and have no surprises at the what the price of a ticket is.

doublem23
10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
No one wants to spend time on the net searching for tickets and best prices, they want to hop in the car, go down to the park and have no surprises at the what the price of a ticket is.

Considering the savings online can be pretty substantial, I think there are plenty of people capable of making a spur of the moment decision to go see the Sox and then needing about 2 minutes of their time to find the best deal online. At the very least, are there people out there that still don't know how to use StubHub?

With as fickle a fanbase as this, banking on walk-up crowds is probably the worst idea ever.

DumpJerry
10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Television money is increasing.

cws05champ
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I think - for the sake of the casual fans - they still need to help market the hell out of the neighborhood and area surrounding the park (as being safe, clean, etc.), but this is a start.
Along with that, they need to almost give away some merchandise as well. If you give away/seel at just over cost some hats and shirts and flood the area (not just the South side) with Sox merch, in the long run it will start to create a generation of new Sox fans in the area.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Nell:

I think you make a valid point concerning older fans. My thinking is that they don't want to have to wonder 'if I go on a Monday for the Royals, the seat I want costs X amount...but if I go Thursday for the Yankees the same seat is going to cost X'

I think they want it clear... box seats X amount, lower grandstand X amount, bleachers X amount...regardless of the day, the time of the game or the opponent.

And to answer Double's question I don't know how to use Stubhub, I've never had the occasion to have to go on-line and search to find a better price for a sporting event (even those that I haven't been working...)

Lip

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Nell:

I think you make a valid point concerning older fans. My thinking is that they don't want to have to wonder 'if I go on a Monday for the Royals, the seat I want costs X amount...but if I go Thursday for the Yankees the same seat is going to cost X'

I think they want it clear... box seats X amount, lower grandstand X amount, bleachers X amount...regardless of the day, the time of the game or the opponent.

And to answer Double's question I don't know how to use Stubhub, I've never had the occasion to have to go on-line and search to find a better price for a sporting event (even those that I haven't been working...)

Lip

It might be a generational thing but I'm pretty computer savvy for my advanced years but what if you are a working stiff and might be driving a truck for a living and has no computer in his truck and decides to go to a Sox game after work, well now he knows he can drive down to the park and get a decent seat without stopping at HFC for a loan before the game.
PS Have actually used Stubhub twice for a Lightning and Rays game.

DSpivack
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
It might be a generational thing but I'm pretty computer savvy for my advanced years but what if you are a working stiff and might be driving a truck for a living and has no computer in his truck and decides to go to a Sox game after work, well now he knows he can drive down to the park and get a decent seat without stopping at HFC for a loan before the game.

Like you said, being computer savvy is one thing, having a couple hours before a game to research ticket prices and special codes and what not is another. Despite what some seeing as ease of use and wide availability this season for the White Sox, obviously that much did not work considering the team's poor attendance.

doublem23
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Without even mentioning the fact that most Americans have the internet on their cell phone these days, you can't seriously expect me to believe the truckers who want to go to Sox games but only make spur of the moment decisions about sporting events is this huge, untapped market the Sox need to capture

doublem23
10-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Hey, cool, mail me a letter in 1999 when I would have given a ****

kittle42
10-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Considering the savings online can be pretty substantial, I think there are plenty of people capable of making a spur of the moment decision to go see the Sox and then needing about 2 minutes of their time to find the best deal online. At the very least, are there people out there that still don't know how to use StubHub?

You'd be surprised how many frequent internet users I talk to who think StubHub is some kind of risky sham.

MUsoxfan
10-18-2012, 04:35 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Excellent move. I think I'll look into a ticket package as well

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I remember reading a letter to the editor of one of the Chicago papers back in the mid-1960s complaining about the price of concessions at a White Sox game. The menu was more limited in those days, but as I recall it was 25 cents for pop and 40 cents for a hot dog. The author of the letter didn't like it, because the going price elsewhere for a cup or bottle of pop was 10 cents and a hot dog was less than 40 cents. The numbers seem comically small now, but in comparision the ballpark prices were way high.

Concessions will always be a big profit center at a ballgame, just like it is at a movie theater. I'm happy the Sox have encouraged tailgating before the game since that usually saves me big money on ballpark food and drinks.

Back on topic, the ticket-price changes are a great move! Now the Sox need to trumpet the fact that they've reduced prices 25-30% while the Other Team has reduced prices 2%, and that after a 101-loss season! :tongue:

Thanks for your help.Greatly appreciated.!

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Thnaks! Appreciate the help!

lpneck
10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
I think it needs to be made clear that "premier" pricing and "dynamic" pricing are not the same thing.

I'm not necessarily opposed to either one, but I think the White Sox have been doing it wrong.

I understand the mentality of "I want a bleacher seat to be $X whether it's against the Cubs, the Tigers, or the Astros," but this is a business and prices can and should be set by supply and demand.

I don't mind if the Sox want to set an upper deck reserve seat at $7 for most weeknights, and make it $12 for opening day, or the Cubs, or weekends in the summer, if the market will bear that price and people will buy those tickets at that price. Most professional sports franchises are doing something along those lines. It makes no sense to sell those tickets at $22 for regular games, and then make it $32 for a "premier" game, when no one is buying seats at those price points for either game.

As for "dynamic" pricing- that is the idea that as tickets become more scarce, the price increases due to the demand, so that the value isn't lost to the secondary ticket market.

That is *fine* if you have 30,000 season ticket holders and every game is close to selling out. It makes no sense when you have 3,000 empty lower deck reserved seats that haven't sold at $35, because there is no value in those seats at that price, and then INCREASE the price to $48 the week of the game and call it "dynamic," which is what they were doing.

Finally, I'm pretty computer savvy, and have no problem using stubhub or internet codes. There sometimes is pretty good value there for better seats. However, sometimes I just want to take a family of 5 to a game and sit in the upper deck. It will nice to be able to do that this year without paying a 50% markup in online service fees. I can go the park the day of the game and get 5 cheap seats for $35, instead of $100.

DSpivack
10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
I think it needs to be made clear that "premier" pricing and "dynamic" pricing are not the same thing.

I'm not necessarily opposed to either one, but I think the White Sox have been doing it wrong.

I understand the mentality of "I want a bleacher seat to be $X whether it's against the Cubs, the Tigers, or the Astros," but this is a business and prices can and should be set by supply and demand.

I don't mind if the Sox want to set an upper deck reserve seat at $7 for most weeknights, and make it $12 for opening day, or the Cubs, or weekends in the summer, if the market will bear that price and people will buy those tickets at that price. Most professional sports franchises are doing something along those lines. It makes no sense to sell those tickets at $22 for regular games, and then make it $32 for a "premier" game, when no one is buying seats at those price points for either game.

As for "dynamic" pricing- that is the idea that as tickets become more scarce, the price increases due to the demand, so that the value isn't lost to the secondary ticket market.

That is *fine* if you have 30,000 season ticket holders and every game is close to selling out. It makes no sense when you have 3,000 empty lower deck reserved seats that haven't sold at $35, because there is no value in those seats at that price, and then INCREASE the price to $48 the week of the game and call it "dynamic," which is what they were doing.

Finally, I'm pretty computer savvy, and have no problem using stubhub or internet codes. There sometimes is pretty good value there for better seats. However, sometimes I just want to take a family of 5 to a game and sit in the upper deck. It will nice to be able to do that this year without paying a 50% markup in online service fees. I can go the park the day of the game and get 5 cheap seats for $35, instead of $100.

Great post.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Double:

As usual your "courtesy" knows no bounds. :?:

I'm just saying I don't know how to use it, you asked the question if there was anyone who didn't know how.

I answered it.

Next time I'll know better than to answer your question.

Lip

16th&State
10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I am super happy to see the Sox lowering ticket prices. This is a HUGE step for the organization to start winning fans back to the ballpark. I just hope they don't stop there. I want to see a marketing campaign/media blitz aimed at the more casual fan base that dispels false stereotypes about the neighborhood and touts what the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods do have to offer in the way of nightlife, bars, & eateries, etc. Its high time the Sox started stealing casual fans away from the 'lovable' losers on the northside and started making Chicago a Sox town again!

kevingrt
10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I am super happy to see the Sox lowering ticket prices. This is a HUGE step for the organization to start winning fans back to the ballpark. I just hope they don't stop there. I want to see a marketing campaign/media blitz aimed at the more casual fan base that dispels false stereotypes about the neighborhood and touts what the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods do have to offer in the way of nightlife, bars, & eateries, etc. Its high time the Sox started stealing casual fans away from the 'lovable' losers on the northside and started making Chicago a Sox town again!

Many fans that go to Sox games plan out the 4-5 games they are going to go to early in the season. With cheap tickets these fans are more likely to go. When they look online and end up checking out four tickets in the lower deck for $240 they are scared off. This is a huge step in the right direction.

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Ladies Day and Single admission Double Headers could be next.

Wedema
10-18-2012, 07:11 PM

This is good news for people with tickets in the outfield, bleachers, and upper deck but most season ticket holders have tickets in the lower box and premium lower box. The email from the Sox doesn't make it seem like these tickets will be going down much or at all.

Brian26
10-18-2012, 07:30 PM

For the casual fan, the Sox need to market their ballpark. The neighborhood around Sox park will never, ever be Wrigleyville. It's not logistically possible, and people need to get a grip with that. There are a handful of cool places within tolerable walking distances. The new Bacardi is awesome. But, spending time & energy marketing the "neighborhood" and bars that are a half mile away is a waste of resources. The Sox need to market their park and the in-game experience, the ease of parking, the food, the restrooms (yes!), the friendliness for families, the Fundamentals deck, and the team.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Comcast Sports Chicago just played part of an interview with Brooks where he said lowering ticket prices will have no impact on the Sox budget regarding payroll for the team in 2013.

In fact he said he hopes that it will help raise the payroll (I assume because if more people buy tickets this off season they'll have more money to work with)

Brooks said the Sox would never do something that would impact the on field performance of the club.

Lip

DumpJerry
10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Comcast Sports Chicago just played part of an interview with Brooks where he said lowering ticket prices will have no impact on the Sox budget regarding payroll for the team in 2013.

In fact he said he hopes that it will help raise the payroll (I assume because if more people buy tickets this off season they'll have more money to work with)

Brooks said the Sox would never do something that would impact the on field performance of the club.

Lip
Many people have said it is concession sales, not ticket sales, that drive the team's revenues.

ChiSoxGirl
10-18-2012, 08:17 PM
From the e-mail cited earlier in this thread by HarryPotter:

Near the end of the 2012 season, the White Sox commissioned a comprehensive research project by Rich Luker, the creator of The ESPN Sports Poll, author of “Simple Community,” and the Up Next trend columnist for Sports Business Journal, who helped examine White Sox fan sentiments on a variety of issues, including ticket prices, and other factors affecting the decision to attend White Sox games.Is anyone with me in thinking this was that lengthy survey many of us received at the end of August, resulting in those two free tickets we got to use during the last home stand? I remember answering many questions about which method I use to get to the ballpark, how long it takes me to get there, if I'd drive to the ballpark if offered free parking with the purchase of four tickets, how many games I attend, what keeps me from attending more, etc. Quite a few of those questions were answered earlier today.

I think this is a great and long-overdue move on the part of the Sox. The 2012 club was a fun team that spent 117 days in first place; there's no reason they shouldn't have drawn two million fans this year. Maybe all of those people dressed as seats this spring and summer finally opened the eyes of the right people in the organization.

Reducing the parking fee may have something to do with the Red Line construction project that's planned for May-November 2013. If casual fans know that they won't be able to get to the ballpark via that train, they'll see that as another reason not come out to the park and won't. Let's be honest - people are lazy and not many of them would be willing to walk to and from the Green Line before and after games. Additionally, they may see that method as "not safe," which leads into the issue of the Sox needing to market the Bridgeport neighborhood and its positives, safety being among them.

Personally, I hope the rumor of $10 parking on Sundays is true because my boyfriend and I would absolutely drive to the ballpark for that price. It costs us a total of $14 for two round-trip train rides and to park at the Cumberland Blue Line stop, so a $10 parking fee would be a definite savings for us.

LoveYourSuit
10-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Seats at most of these locations are business owned, investors (brokers), and wealthy people.

Those folks have no problem affording those prices for a premier location.

1) I bet 90% would hate to give up their premier locations. 2) There are plenty other people (same financial bracket) out there that would jump at the opportunity to take those seats.

I think the Sox do very well in selling 85-90% of their premier locations.

I would like to see the true number on that.

It's everywhere else in the park where they struggle to sell. This is a real good move to lower prices as they are.

DumpJerry
10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Seats at most of these locations are business owned, investors (brokers), and wealthy people.

1) I bet 90% would hate to give up their premier locations. 2) There are plenty other people (same financial bracket) out there that would jump at the opportunity to take those seats.

It's everywhere else in the park where they struggle to sell. This is a real good move to lower prices as they are.
LYS: not true about Lower Box. Where did you get your information? That is where my seats are and they are not corporate owned. In fact, this past season, all the seats in my row (Sec. 115, row 5) with the exception of my two seats were available at the Box Office. Over the past two years, many people who were sitting around me did not renew. Well over 15%. I won't be renewing next year due to $$ unless someone wants to buy my entire package and get all the tickets.

Harry Potter
10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
A minor note to add: the "Lower Reserved" section will be called "Outfield Reserved" starting next season.

Golden Sox
10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Brooks Boyer asked me a couple of months ago about White Sox attendance. I told him the Prime games are too expensive. The only Prime game that has sold out the last few years is Opening Day. There should be one price for all of the games. Secondly the lower deck box seats in the corners should be priced lower than the other box seats. And finally the upper deck seats in the corners should be lowered to $10 for all 81 games. I don't know how seriously he took my suggestions but the White Sox made some positive adjustments in their prices for 2013. I was surprised to see them lower the prices for parking also. Needless to say, I would like to think most White Sox fans have to be pleased with the ticket and parking prices for 2013.

soxfan21
10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
LYS: not true about Lower Box. Where did you get your information? That is where my seats are and they are not corporate owned. In fact, this past season, all the seats in my row (Sec. 115, row 5) with the exception of my two seats were available at the Box Office. Over the past two years, many people who were sitting around me did not renew. Well over 15%. I won't be renewing next year due to $$ unless someone wants to buy my entire package and get all the tickets.

I have a partial plan also in sec. 115 row 15, and many people that sit around me that I see numerous times throughout the season share plans with either family or friends. I already re-upped for next year, but it may be my last due to work/family obligations unless this team surprise me, which hopefully they will do.

CWS44
10-18-2012, 10:16 PM

My seats are in Premium Club. They are not corporate owned and I am by no means wealthy. A price increase would be a problem for me and it is disappointing that long-time season ticket holders would be rewarded with a price increase while lowering prices in most other areas. I think it is great that the Sox are lowering prices overall, but I disagree with the increase in premium areas.

Has anyone been contacted or seen detail about price increases?

RealFan
10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
As a premium box STH who will not be getting a discount, I am thrilled with this move. My seats are great, and now the ambiance of the park will be better with more people in attendance.

The Sox are making the right move here. Why should they discount the tickets which sell the best? Rather, discount those that don't sell well. Makes total sense to me.

LoveYourSuit
10-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Not to offend, but Sec 115 is not considered a "Premier" Location to me.

Someone in your situation definately would be looking to move to the now heavily discounted areas around the park.

Premier to me are the following:
- scout seats
- Gold Coast
- LD Box exactly between the bases (about 3/4 the length of each dugout).
- Club Level (dugout to dugout).

If you own those seats and can afford them, I don't see how you would give them up regardless of the discounts being handed at other sections of the park.

And as far as I can see by the turnout at each game, those seats mentioned were about 85% full even on nights when only 12K were at the park. Keep in mind the Sox are very anal about protecting their premier seat locations and not allowing people to sneek in to them when they don't belong there.

LoveYourSuit
10-18-2012, 11:51 PM
My seats are in Premium Club. They are not corporate owned and I am by no means wealthy. A price increase would be a problem for me and it is disappointing that long-time season ticket holders would be rewarded with a price increase while lowering prices in most other areas. I think it is great that the Sox are lowering prices overall, but I disagree with the increase in premium areas.

By wealthy (in this current economy), I mean having a formidable amout of disposable income each month to pamper yourself with the pleasure of having tickets to 82 baseball games at a premier location in the park.

LoveYourSuit
10-18-2012, 11:53 PM
As a premium box STH who will not be getting a discount, I am thrilled with this move. My seats are great, and now the ambiance of the park will be better with more people in attendance.

The Sox are making the right move here. Why should they discount the tickets which sell the best? Rather, discount those that don't sell well. Makes total sense to me.

Bingo.

I highly doubt the M&M guy is up in arms because someone sitting in Sec 156 by the foul pole is getting 30% off his invoice.

DumpJerry
10-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Not to offend, but Sec 115 is not considered a "Premier" Location to me.

Someone in your situation definately would be looking to move to the now heavily discounted areas around the park.

Premier to me are the following:
- scout seats
- Gold Coast
- LD Box exactly between the bases (about 3/4 the length of each dugout).
- Club Level (dugout to dugout).

If you own those seats and can afford them, I don't see how you would give them up regardless of the discounts being handed at other sections of the park.

And as far as I can see by the turnout at each game, those seats mentioned were about 85% full even on nights when only 12K were at the park. Keep in mind the Sox are very anal about protecting their premier seat locations and not allowing people to sneek in to them when they don't belong there.
You included Lower Box in your post. 115 is Lower Box. You should be consistent in your posting.

Why should I move to another section when I can very easily walk up to the park and buy tickets to games I want to go to and be stuck with a bunch of April and May games where it is Bears weather? The Sox were in first for most of the season and nobody complained about not being able to get tickets. Even with the price reduction that won't change because of the holdback.

The Sox are not "anal" about keeping people out of the Premier Seats. I've never had trouble strolling into them.

CWS44
10-19-2012, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=LoveYourSuit;3002077]By wealthy (in this current economy), I mean having a formidable amout of disposable income each month to pamper yourself with the pleasure of having tickets to 82 baseball games at a premier location

I just happen to love baseball. While I enjoy it, it certainly doesn't feel like I am pampering myself. My point is, the discounts are great, I applaud the Sox for it and hope fans really do show up next year. I don't expect a discount in my location, but I am disappointed with a potential increase. That may force me to drop out.

russ99
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
The ticket and parking price reduction is fantastic, but to me just as great is that the Sox are finally listening to us, their paying customers.

To quote Hawk, don't stop now boys!

WhiffleBall
10-19-2012, 08:19 AM
In the Trib this morning it said that the reason premium lower box prices have not been announced is because they are restructering that section. My guess is that they are going to increase pricing on seats in the first 5-10 rows between the bases.

Good call on figuring out that the free ticket survey is more than likely what was used to make these changes.

I'm surprised they kept lower box seats the same price. Lower box seats just past the bases and the first 5-10 rows down the line are decent but many seats in those sections are just "ok". It's a much different experience (i.e. better) watching the game even in the last row of section 130 than in the 15th row of section 114 or the 10th row of section 113. If I had season tickets in the lower box then I would seriously consider moving to one of the now much cheaper sections. Premium upper deck and bleacher seats now come out to $19 per ticket and a seat in outfield reserved is not much more. That is not bad at all.

Season ticket holders in the first row of the bleachers and outfield reserved are making out like bandits with this new pricing. Those seats almost always sell for a premium on the secondary markets.

Full Season Prices:

2013 Pricing
Lower Box - $2916 ($36.55 per ticket)
Outfield Reserved - $1701 ($21 per ticket)
Bleachers - $1539 ($19 per ticket)
Premium Upper Box - $1539 ($19 per ticket)
Upper Box - $1053 ($13 per ticket)
Upper Reserved - $810 ($10 per ticket!)
Premium Club Box - $3683 ($45.47 per ticket)
Club Box - $3439 ($42.46 per ticket)

roylestillman
10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Brooks is on the Score right now saying that Dynamic Pricing is here to stay. Counters by saying the $7 upper deck and $20 lower deck sections will not be dynamically priced. Also confirms that premium and prime dates ar a thing of the past, except for the Cub games and maybe Opening Day.

Those outfield reserve partial plan prices do have me wondering whether to add on to the games I have now....

Domeshot17
10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I do not know if there has been a harsher critic of Brooks on WSI than me. I just emailed him thanking him, the fans needed this. He hit a home run here, this is perfect.

Mr. Jinx
10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
In the Trib this morning it said that the reason premium lower box prices have not been announced is because they are restructering that section. My guess is that they are going to increase pricing on seats in the first 5-10 rows between the bases.

Good call on figuring out that the free ticket survey is more than likely what was used to make these changes.

I'm surprised they kept lower box seats the same price. Lower box seats just past the bases and the first 5-10 rows down the line are decent but many seats in those sections are just "ok". It's a much different experience (i.e. better) watching the game even in the last row of section 130 than in the 15th row of section 114 or the 10th row of section 113. If I had season tickets in the lower box then I would seriously consider moving to one of the now much cheaper sections. Premium upper deck and bleacher seats now comes out to $19 per ticket and a seat in lowered reserved is not much more. That is not bad at all.

Season ticket holders in the first row of the bleachers and outfield reserved are making out like bandits with this new pricing. Those seats almost always sell for a premium on the secondary markets.

Full Season Prices:

2013 Pricing
Lower Box - $2916 ($36.55 per ticket)
Outfield Reserved - $1701 ($21 per ticket)
Bleachers - $1539 ($19 per ticket)
Premium Upper Box - $1539 ($19 per ticket)
Upper Box - $1053 ($13 per ticket)
Upper Reserved - $810 ($10 per ticket!)
Premium Club Box - $3683 ($45.47 per ticket)
Club Box - $3439 ($42.46 per ticket)

Agreed. I never understood why the Sox have so few pricing zones. Why in the world is someone in the last row of section 121 paying the same as someone in the first row of section 129?

bunkaroo
10-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Brooks is on the Score right now saying that Dynamic Pricing is here to stay. Counters by saying the $7 upper deck and $20 lower deck sections will not be dynamically priced. Also confirms that premium and prime dates ar a thing of the past, except for the Cub games and maybe Opening Day.

Those outfield reserve partial plan prices do have me wondering whether to add on to the games I have now....

So did he not pay attention to the attendance this past season during the Cubs series? Far from a full house.

TaylorStSox
10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Increasing the prices of the uber premier seats resembles a thread that might be in the PI forum. :tongue:

salty99
10-19-2012, 10:46 AM
So when are these new lower priced plans going to be for sale? I haven't seen anything yet

Soxman219
10-19-2012, 11:14 AM
People better start coming out now. No more excuses.

salty99
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM

What is the number of people that will need to come out to satisfy this requirement? And people will ALWAYS have excuses.

salty99
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Agreed. I never understood why the Sox have so few pricing zones. Why in the world is someone in the last row of section 121 paying the same as someone in the first row of section 129?

From Sox:

We have created three areas with tiered pricing in 2013 in what has been our premium lower box. The first 26 rows are being divided into two separate tiers, and those prices are increasing. For rows 27 and beyond, prices are staying the same.

palehosepub
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM

I feel the same way and have not been contacted by the Sox / my ticket rep. We have 4 premiun seats split over 6 Sox fans; I think there are a fair number of groups that are not corporate or wealthy but rabid fans who pool together to get the best possible sets. My problem has always been the terrible seat relocation / improvement process, the Sox never seem to address that. The Bears appear to have a very orderly system that maybe the Sox can learn from.

Bruizer
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Hmm. Although my overall Upper Reserved Season Ticket Package is going down, weeknight games are going up for the formally non-premiere games ($8 vs $10 per seat and $18 vs $20 for parking). The end result is that we'll fill more seats for the weekend games and the formally premiere games, but most weeknight games will be even more sparse. :?:

kittle42
10-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Actually, the only excuse this takes away from is price. People have plenty more reasons they do not come to U.S. Cellular Field.

salty99
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Hmm. Although my overall Upper Reserved Season Ticket Package is going down, weeknight games are going up for the formally non-premiere games ($8 vs $10 per seat and $18 vs $20 for parking). The end result is that we'll fill more seats for the weekend games and the formally premiere games, but most weeknight games will be even more sparse. :?:

You really think season ticket parking is going to be $20?

DeadMoney
10-19-2012, 11:58 AM
For the casual fan, the Sox need to market their ballpark. The neighborhood around Sox park will never, ever be Wrigleyville. It's not logistically possible, and people need to get a grip with that. There are a handful of cool places within tolerable walking distances. The new Bacardi is awesome. But, spending time & energy marketing the "neighborhood" and bars that are a half mile away is a waste of resources. The Sox need to market their park and the in-game experience, the ease of parking, the food, the restrooms (yes!), the friendliness for families, the Fundamentals deck, and the team.

Apples and oranges... I know that.

I'm just saying that they need casual fans (and out-of-towners) - people who still may think USCF, Bridgeport and the surrounding area is in the middle of the ghetto - to understand that it's a safe/enjoyable/clean place in this city. Certain media members/outlets have, whether it be a joke or not, driven home the stereotype that the area isn't safe for a long time now. The White Sox have never done anything about it. They've chosen not to get out in front of it. They've stood back and watched an area be tarnished by media members/outlets (and fans of the other team) with an agenda in mind.

The area will never be Wrigleyville and I understand that. I don't want it to be Wrigleyville. It's fine the way it is and the White Sox should really help market it so people know it's a completely reasonable place to go and bring your family to enjoy a night out.

LITTLE NELL
10-19-2012, 12:12 PM
What is the number of people that will need to come out to satisfy this requirement? And people will ALWAYS have excuses.

In this day and age it looks like 2,000,000 is the new norm, so unless you are the 1962 Mets thats what you should draw. A team like the Sox had in 2012, spending 117 days in first place, probably should pull in at least 2.5 million.

16th&State
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Apples and oranges... I know that.

I'm just saying that they need casual fans (and out-of-towners) - people who still may think USCF, Bridgeport and the surrounding area is in the middle of the ghetto - to understand that it's a safe/enjoyable/clean place in this city. Certain media members/outlets have, whether it be a joke or not, driven home the stereotype that the area isn't safe for a long time now. The White Sox have never done anything about it. They've chosen not to get out in front of it. They've stood back and watched an area be tarnished by media members/outlets (and fans of the other team) with an agenda in mind.

The area will never be Wrigleyville and I understand that. I don't want it to be Wrigleyville. It's fine the way it is and the White Sox should really help market it so people know it's a completely reasonable place to go and bring your family to enjoy a night out.

:clap: Well said, and I completely agree.

Bruizer
10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
You really think season ticket parking is going to be $20?

Harry Potter's post indicated that in the email he received from the Sox for season ticket holders. I hope there's still a discount for STH's but so far I haven't heard of one.

Our ticket sales staff is beginning to contact season ticket holders this week, so we wanted to get this basic information to you first.

Overall, we are taking aggressive steps to decrease the cost of attending a White Sox baseball game in 2013. Two of those steps are lowering ticket prices and creating affordable seating options that will be available to fans in both the lower and upper levels on a daily basis.

Below are some of the more notable items about ticket pricing for this upcoming season.

· Near the end of the 2012 season, the White Sox commissioned a comprehensive research project by Rich Luker, the creator of The ESPN Sports Poll, author of “Simple Community,” and the Up Next trend columnist for Sports Business Journal, who helped examine White Sox fan sentiments on a variety of issues, including ticket prices, and other factors affecting the decision to attend White Sox games.
· The club took the results of the research, feedback on dynamic ticket prices -- which has been utilized by the White Sox since 2010 -- as well secondary market prices (from sites such as Stub Hub) and created a new ticket pricing model that provides fans more value opportunities to attend games.
· More than 87% of all full season tickets for the 2013 season are either dropping in price or staying the same; with more than 54% of the full season tickets dropping an average of 26%.
· The biggest drop in season ticket prices for 2013 are in the Bleacher and Outfield Reserved sections, which are dropping 32 and 30 percent, respectively (for full season tickets). For example, for the 2013 season four full season Bleacher tickets will cost $2,800 less than in 2012.
· Furthermore, full season tickets will be available for as low as $810/per seat and split season plans for as low as $297/per seat (both Upper Reserved).
· On split season tickets, all 27-game plans are decreasing in price, an average of over 25%.
· On a daily basis, corner seats in the lower deck will be available for $20 per game and upper deck corner seats will be available for $7, all season long (excluding only Opening Day and the two Cubs games in May) – which accounts for nearly 5,000 seats per game.
· The cost of parking also is being dropped – to $20 (down from $25 and $23).
· The season ticket holders who will receive decreases in their tickets will have that reflected in their invoices for 2013, which they will receive the coming weeks. The small number of fans who will see a ticket price increase – due to the high demand of their current locations– are being personally contacted by the White Sox.
· There will be additional announcements regarding pricing for seven and 14-game ticket plans, and individual tickets later this offseason.

Feel free to use any of this information at any time.

If you have any questions or if you are interested in speaking with Brooks Boyer about the new ticket pricing or Rich Luker regarding the White Sox fan research, do not hesitate to contact me.

DeadMoney
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Harry Potter's post indicated that in the email he received from the Sox for season ticket holders. I hope there's still a discount for STH's but so far I haven't heard of one.

HP is the one in charge of our group's plan and he e-mailed the following to me this morning (not sure who this may affect):
According to [our ticket rep] our parking is still locked in at $18/game. You may or may not remember but with the new city tax that went to effect this past January 1st, the Sox said that those accounts that paid their invoice in full prior to 12/31/2011, would lock in the parking at $18/game. So apparently this still holds true for us.

Oh, and I believe that initial e-mail was sent out to media members/types.

doogiec
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I feel the same way and have not been contacted by the Sox / my ticket rep. We have 4 premiun seats split over 6 Sox fans; I think there are a fair number of groups that are not corporate or wealthy but rabid fans who pool together to get the best possible sets. My problem has always been the terrible seat relocation / improvement process, the Sox never seem to address that. The Bears appear to have a very orderly system that maybe the Sox can learn from.

Most of the people who sit around my premium LD seats are not corporate or wealthy, and in fact split plans. Transparency in their seating relocation process would help with season ticket retention, in my opinion. The gradual improvement of my seats were a reason I stuck through a lot of the lean years. Now I suspect they simply hold back the better locations to make it easier to bring in new season ticket holders, rather than rewarding existing fans.

So it appears that they are lowering ticket prices to bring in new fans, but picking this as the time to stick it to their fans who actually have been buying lots of tickets the past few years? They got half of it right. (I'm not looking for a decrease, just hold the line...at least pretend to not take my loyalty for granted).

Bruizer
10-19-2012, 01:03 PM
HP is the one in charge of our group's plan and he e-mailed the following to me this morning (not sure who this may affect):

Then perhaps that's the walk-up (drive-up?) price for parking. The cost of parking has been one of the big deterrents to driving to the Sox games. I'm glad to see they're lowering it and I hope it comes down too for the STH's.

soxfanreggie
10-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Fantastic news. I have a $480 credit from the ALDS strip I bought and was planning to buy a 7 game plan. Now I'll probably buy a 14 game plan, and will probably go to more Sunday games too.

That's what the Sox are banking on. People overall spending more $$$. They'll be seeing more games so hopefully buying merchandise and food as well.

I'll give the Sox a thumbs up on this one.

Harry Potter
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM

When I talked to my ticket rep last night he said that because we paid our 2012 invoice in full by 12/31/2011 to lock in the $18/game parking, our 2013 parking would still be $18/game.

I'm not sure what the 2012 parking price was for STH who paid their invoice in full after 1/1/2012 (and thus I'm not sure what the 2013 parking will be for those STH groups)

As DeadMoney stated, the e-mail I shared earlier was not sent to season ticket holders but rather was an e-mail I received from a friend who handles radio ad sales for the Sox (the entire media department received that e-mail)

Chez
10-19-2012, 03:18 PM
So it appears that they are lowering ticket prices to bring in new fans, but picking this as the time to stick it to their fans who actually have been buying lots of tickets the past few years? They got half of it right. (I'm not looking for a decrease, just hold the line...at least pretend to not take my loyalty for granted).

I kind of feel the same way. I've been part of a full season ticket group -- premium seats -- since 1987 (that's before the new park even opened). I attend between 15-25 games a year. I'm very happy to see the Sox take positive steps to fill the park, but I'll be disappointed if they raise the price of my tickets again. Probably not disappointed enough to keep me from re-upping, but disappointed nonetheless. I'm fine if they hold the line on my ticket prices, but to raise the prices (again) makes it seem like I'm sponsoring the other generous ticket price cuts.

amsteel
10-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I wonder how much the Sox paid the consultant to look at Stubhub and proceed to advise them to change prices so they match the going rate.

DumpJerry
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I wonder how much the Sox paid the consultant to look at Stubhub and proceed to advise them to change prices so they match the going rate.
Yeah, the research the Sox did was that simple.:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually, the only excuse this takes away from is price. People have plenty more reasons they do not come to U.S. Cellular Field.
1. They are not baseball fans.
2. They live in central Asia, the CTA and Metra don't go there.
3. They have been banned from entry into any MLB ballpark by MLB because of bad behavior.
4. They have a previous engagement that night.
5. They are admitted into the hospital.
6. They're stuck at the office past 7:10 p.m.
7. Their good Sox shirt is at the cleaners.
8. They like a cold Budweiser when watching baseball.
9. There's a massive storm front moving through Chicago with tornado warnings and hail.
10. The Sox are on the road.

I was going to :rolleyes: your post, but then realized you have a point.

Wedema
10-19-2012, 07:18 PM
I kind of feel the same way. I've been part of a full season ticket group -- premium seats -- since 1987 (that's before the new park even opened). I attend between 15-25 games a year. I'm very happy to see the Sox take positive steps to fill the park, but I'll be disappointed if they raise the price of my tickets again. Probably not disappointed enough to keep me from re-upping, but disappointed nonetheless. I'm fine if they hold the line on my ticket prices, but to raise the prices (again) makes it seem like I'm sponsoring the other generous ticket price cuts.

I agree also. I split a plan in the premium seats and attend around 40 games per year but am no means "wealthy". It looks like the Sox are screwing their long time season tickets holders to get more people in the park.

Quentin08
10-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I wonder if the Sox had made the post-season, would they have lowered ticket prices like this? Probably not! Now the late season collapse doesn't feel as painful.

The best part of this news release is the timing.. right before the World Series, people are still talking about baseball, it was all over the local news yesterday and today, and now we have all winter and spring to get the word out to those who may not have heard.

Even if the Sox don't see a significant increase in advanced ticket sales when tickets first go on sale, they should milk this "lower ticket prices" hype for all its worth and release a statement like "Advanced ticket sales have exceeded all of our expectations, they're the highest we've seen in recent years, and because of this we're expecting a massive increase in attendance this season. Get your affordable tickets now and enjoy the huge crowds at US Cellular Field this season!"

dickallen15
10-19-2012, 07:37 PM
The Sox have no problem selling the premium lowers and premium clubs.

Mr. Jinx
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Exactly. Simple supply and demand. For years the Sox were undercharging for the best seats and overcharging for everything else. Looks like they are finally starting to fix that.

LoveYourSuit
10-19-2012, 11:10 PM
You included Lower Box in your post. 115 is Lower Box. You should be consistent in your posting.

Why should I move to another section when I can very easily walk up to the park and buy tickets to games I want to go to and be stuck with a bunch of April and May games where it is Bears weather? The Sox were in first for most of the season and nobody complained about not being able to get tickets. Even with the price reduction that won't change because of the holdback.

The Sox are not "anal" about keeping people out of the Premier Seats. I've never had trouble strolling into them.

Check my original post, I never was specific to anything regarding lower box.

LoveYourSuit
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM

Exactly the way I see it.

God forbid the Sox try to run their business like a business. :rolleyes:

Everyone complaining about getting screwed, let me ask you, are the Sox holding the inovoice to your face with one hand and holding a gun to your head on the other?

If you can't afford, cancel. That or go move to Sec 156 if you're looking for a nice discount.

When I couldn't afford this after the 2009 season, I simply just cancelled.

LoveYourSuit
10-19-2012, 11:36 PM
From Sox:

We have created three areas with tiered pricing in 2013 in what has been our premium lower box. The first 26 rows are being divided into two separate tiers, and those prices are increasing. For rows 27 and beyond, prices are staying the same.

They are finally getting this right.

Never was a fan or understood on how people in the last row of any section would have to pay the same price for someone 30 rows ahead in the first row.

It's another flaw of the vanilla layout of the ballpark. The lower bowl has never had any structural dividers/markers to split sections/areas into tiers. The first such structure came in with the Scout Seat Section.

The upper level has nothing also (as far as markers) except of the beams supporting the new roof.

RealFan
10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Exactly. Simple supply and demand. For years the Sox were undercharging for the best seats and overcharging for everything else. Looks like they are finally starting to fix that.

This is my second post in this thread. I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I am a full season ticket holder in the premium lower box section. I am happy to pay a little more in order to help the rest of the park get filled. I think this will only enhance the value of my tickets for resale. Also, this provides options for those who simply cannot afford the pricey tickets of the past.

If you currently have seats in the lower premium box level, and you cannot afford them, you now have several options where you can most likely save money and still have season tickets.

doogiec
10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Exactly the way I see it.

God forbid the Sox try to run their business like a business. :rolleyes:

Name one business, outside of White Sox baseball, where they publicly and proudly announce across the board improved pricing, then contact their most loyal, long term customers and tell them that not only are they not getting the benefit of the price cut, they are going to subsidize everyone else's price cut by increasing their prices. This isn't running their business like a business.

The Sox have difficulty maintaining sales of walk up and single game sales with any consistancy. Historically they only do well in these areas when they are solidly in first place. That probably won't change much. What will change is thousands of people who normally pay their invoice without much thought are definitely going to think hard and long about renewing. And while they may be able to sell the seats that are not renewed, what are the odds that the people buying them will stick around 5, 10, 20, 25 years like the people they are taking for granted?

It may make sense to raise those prices, or add more seating price tiers in the premium level at some point. It is the absolutely mind boggling stupidity from a marketing standpoint of doing them both at the same time that makes me wonder if the Sox even want to sell season tickets.

doogiec
10-20-2012, 10:53 AM
This is my second post in this thread. I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I am a full season ticket holder in the premium lower box section. I am happy to pay a little more in order to help the rest of the park get filled. I think this will only enhance the value of my tickets for resale. Also, this provides options for those who simply cannot afford the pricey tickets of the past.

If you currently have seats in the lower premium box level, and you cannot afford them, you now have several options where you can most likely save money and still have season tickets.

There are only two real advantages to having season tickets:
1. Guaranteed postseason tickets.
2. Better seating location than what is generally available, based on moving up over the years.

So in years in which point 1 is not likely to matter, why in the world would anyone move to a lesser seating location just to "still have season tickets"?

Soxman219
10-20-2012, 11:05 AM

At least 31,000, make it respectable. There's like over 9 million people in the Chicagoland area I don't think it should be hard.

palehozenychicty
10-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Great news and hopefully just a start, as referenced by Brooks.

I don't think the Sox will be able to appreciably slash payroll next year no matter what, other than not resigning Peavy, AJ, and Youkilis (and of those 3 I'm pretty sure AJ is the only one I would be interested in for about 2/8-10M.) Could mean trouble with resigning Floyd, which might not be a mistake either.

I'm much less interested in what the Sox total payroll is in the future than I am about them getting value for that payroll. When your payroll is $90-100M, you can afford about one mistake, not five or six.

Is there any confirmation on the previously mentioned $10 parking on Sundays? That would be HUGE for me as I am an out-of-town fan who brings my family a few weekends a year for Saturday night/Sunday afternoon games.

This will also mean that walk-up sales will start back up- I am so glad I don't have to do research on the internet or find deals on stubhub to get tickets that are priced appropriately. If I can walk up the ticket gate on the day of a game and get a $20 or $7 ticket and not have to pay Ticketmaster fees? Wow.

Thank you.

WhiffleBall
10-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Somebody wrote in to Gonzalez's mailbag saying his section 129 row 6 seats are going up a $1000 per seat ($12.35 more per game). Even with that increase I would gladly take four of those seats.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-white-sox-askmark-20121019-,0,4786445.story

Mr. Jinx
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
2. Better seating location than what is generally available, based on moving up over the years.

So in years in which point 1 is not likely to matter, why in the world would anyone move to a lesser seating location just to "still have season tickets"?

If you are of the mindset that those are the only advantages to having season tickets then yes, I would agree with you. However, some people have other reasons for getting season tickets, such as knowing they will have the same seat all year long, the ability to purchase tickets without paying TM fees, being able to snag premium seats day of the game once the opposition turns in their tickets, getting all the free promos for the year, guaranteed tickets to every game no matter if it is a sellout, and so on.

DumpJerry
10-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Those are not the only benefits of being a ST holder. You get Grinder Bash, the opportunity to order additional tickets without added fees, "the box" for full season ticket holder, the annual gift, the media guide, and early batting practice to just list a few benefits of being a ST holder.

Oh, for those who get "the box," you don't have to show up 10 hours early to get a bobblehead or other popular giveaway.

palehosepub
10-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Most of the people who sit around my premium LD seats are not corporate or wealthy, and in fact split plans. Transparency in their seating relocation process would help with season ticket retention, in my opinion. The gradual improvement of my seats were a reason I stuck through a lot of the lean years. Now I suspect they simply hold back the better locations to make it easier to bring in new season ticket holders, rather than rewarding existing fans.

Well said sir

Chez
10-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Somebody wrote in to Gonzalez's mailbag saying his section 129 row 6 seats are going up a $1000 per seat ($12.35 more per game). Even with that increase I would gladly take four of those seats.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-white-sox-askmark-20121019-,0,4786445.story

My group's 4 seats are in Section 137, Row 12 -- awesome seats. If they go up $1000.00 per ticket, that's absurd. I honestly can't afford that increase and I'll reduce my share. I haven't been contacted by my rep yet, so I'll wait to see if this is true.

LongLiveFisk
10-20-2012, 09:50 PM

I intend to go to more games now.

skobabe8
10-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I intend to go to more games now.

So do I, even if they rebuild.

palehosepub
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
LR outfield season tickets are down 30% next year- anybody know what the cost of a LR outfield season ticket was last year?

Steelrod
10-21-2012, 04:38 PM
My group's 4 seats are in Section 137, Row 12 -- awesome seats. If they go up $1000.00 per ticket, that's absurd. I honestly can't afford that increase and I'll reduce my share. I haven't been contacted by my rep yet, so I'll wait to see if this is true.
AWESOME, Not obsurd, I'll take them!

Harry Potter
10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
LR outfield season tickets are down 30% next year- anybody know what the cost of a LR outfield season ticket was last year?

$2,430 in 2012
$1,701 in 2013

beasly213
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
$2,430 in 2012
$1,701 in 2013

Any word on the cost of LR for split season plans?

palehosepub
10-22-2012, 10:41 AM
$2,430 in 2012
$1,701 in 2013

Thanks Harry -

voodoochile
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Just a quick post on the confusion over Stub Hub. I used to be the same way. However in the last few years it's become super simple to use Stub Hub. All ESPN team sites include links for tickets for upcoming games listed on Stub Hub.

As an example:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

If you notice in the schedule section on that page the far right column lists "tickets available" for upcoming games. That's a link to the Stub Hub site where fans are reselling. That is true for Sox games too. I got tickets for some Sox/Oakland games through it in the past.

It's just that easy these days and the interface is very easy to use where you can select your price range and then look at the sections of the ball park that are in it and click on that section to see what seats are there. I'm eyeballing a few Bears/9ers seats in this manner, but am holding because prices seem to be dropping. I think the MNF game the week of Thanksgiving is causing the market to flood at the moment. Prices are definitely lower than they were a few weeks ago...

salty99
10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Any word on the cost of LR for split season plans?

Prices are in this link: https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121018/sports/710189638/

Wedema
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Prices are in this link: https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121018/sports/710189638/

At the bottom it states "Premium Lower Deck Box prices not available at this time". Sox have to wait to inform their most loyal customers how much they will be screwing them over before they can release that information.

dickallen15
10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
At the bottom it states "Premium Lower Deck Box prices not available at this time". Sox have to wait to inform their most loyal customers how much they will be screwing them over before they can release that information.

The Sox sell those out every season so it does not appear they have overpriced them. I would also guess the majority are corporately owned so a little increase shouldn't cause many to leave.

Wedema
10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
The Sox sell those out every season so it does not appear they have overpriced them. I would also guess the majority are corporately owned so a little increase shouldn't cause many to leave.

Even though "the majority" of these seats are corporately owened, there are many average fans who have tickets in these sections (and have had them in their family for many years) who should not be subjected to a price increase so the Sox can increase attendance in other areas of the park. This is very bad business to treat your most loyal customers this way.

mrfourni
10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Even though "the majority" of these seats are corporately owened, there are many average fans who have tickets in these sections (and have had them in their family for many years) who should not be subjected to a price increase so the Sox can increase attendance in other areas of the park. This is very bad business to treat your most loyal customers this way.

I would argue its probably worse business to leave pricing where it was and average less than 24K/game.

Wedema
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I would argue its probably worse business to leave pricing where it was and average less than 24K/game.

I agree that they had to lower prices in other areas of the park, but they do not need to raise the Premium lower boxes. Just leave the price as is and everyone will be happy including their most loyal customers.

dickallen15
10-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I agree that they had to lower prices in other areas of the park, but they do not need to raise the Premium lower boxes. Just leave the price as is and everyone will be happy including their most loyal customers.

They can always move up a few rows if they think its too much.I think the top 10 rows are remaining the same price. The object is to get more people interested in attending. It sucks that some will see an increase but no one is holding a gun to their heads to re up.

Wedema
10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
They can always move up a few rows if they think its too much.I think the top 10 rows are remaining the same price. The object is to get more people interested in attending. It sucks that some will see an increase but no one is holding a gun to their heads to re up.

Of course no one is holding a gun to my head to re up, but why should I have to move up and give up my seats that our group has had for 25 years (since the old park) to pay for the price reductions elsewhere in the park?

MUsoxfan
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Of course no one is holding a gun to my head to re up, but why should I have to move up and give up my seats that our group has had for 25 years (since the old park) to pay for the price reductions elsewhere in the park?

You're not subsidizing the rest of the park. You're paying the premium on your premium box seats. When you have the best seats in the park you can expect to pay up every year.

Why would the Sox not want to make maximum profit on seats that are always sold out?

doublem23
10-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Obviously they feel that if some older STH don't renew at the steeper price, they'll find some other fans who are just as loyal willing to pay for the seats.

Wedema
10-23-2012, 11:28 AM
You're not subsidizing the rest of the park. You're paying the premium on your premium box seats. When you have the best seats in the park you can expect to pay up every year.

Why would the Sox not want to make maximum profit on seats that are always sold out?

Not true, the seats do not go up every year. In fact, they actually went down a small amount for 2012.

Harry Potter
10-23-2012, 11:28 AM

OMG, a business trying to be a business!?

Well said MU :tiphat:

Chez
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
OMG, a business trying to be a business!?

Well said MU :tiphat:

No. It's not good business to alienate long-time season ticket holders. The Sox should absorb the hit (if they take a hit) on the price cut, NOT season ticket holders. I'm happy to pay my share -- and have had my ticket prices go up regularly in the 25 years I've been a ST holder -- but my ticket prices shouldn't go up when everyone else's go down.

I realize that no one is holding a gun to my head blah, blah, blah, I understand basic economics and I know how businesses are run. I'll likely re-up, but I honestly feel taken advantage of and will articulate this to my rep if she ever calls me before I receive an invoice.

MUsoxfan
10-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Not true, the seats do not go up every year. In fact, they actually went down a small amount for 2012.

They may not go up every year, but you can certainly expect them to go up every year

Wedema
10-23-2012, 12:11 PM
No. It's not good business to alienate long-time season ticket holders. The Sox should absorb the hit (if they take a hit) on the price cut, NOT season ticket holders. I'm happy to pay my share -- and have had my ticket prices go up regularly in the 25 years I've been a ST holder -- but my ticket prices shouldn't go up when everyone else's go down.

I realize that no one is holding a gun to my head blah, blah, blah, I understand basic economics and I know how businesses are run. I'll likely re-up, but I honestly feel taken advantage of and will articulate this to my rep if she ever calls me before I receive an invoice.

Well said Chez.

Wedema
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
They may not go up every year, but you can certainly expect them to go up every year

I do not expect my tickets to go up when the rest of the tickets in the park are going down. Also, we are talking $1000 per ticket here (or around $12.50 per game) which is a substantial increase compared to any other increase in previous years.

MUsoxfan
10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I do not expect my tickets to go up when the rest of the tickets in the park are going down. Also, we are talking $1000 per ticket here (or around $12.50 per game) which is a substantial increase compared to any other increase in previous years.

I'm sure the Sox would accommodate you the best they could in the next price tier as close to your current seats as possible.

Wedema
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm sure the Sox would accommodate you the best they could in the next price tier as close to your current seats as possible.

I am sure that the Sox would accomodate us also, but that is not the point here. We are actually in the process of polling (tis the season) our group whether or not we want to stay and pay the increase, move to another location, or give up the tickets and use the money for golfing.

Steelrod
10-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I am sure that the Sox would accomodate us also, but that is not the point here. We are actually in the process of polling (tis the season) our group whether or not we want to stay and pay the increase, move to another location, or give up the tickets and use the money for golfing.
Trading one aggrevation for another. I may be wrong but I believe the cost of golf has gone up a lot more that baseball, considerating equipment advances and tee times. Not to mention the balls that can cost anywhere from 25 cents to five bucks each! Kinda like great seats and cheap seats.

dickallen15
10-23-2012, 04:12 PM

While I do agree with you that the Sox if the $12 a game increase is true, wouldn't raise the price so much if they weren't lowering the prices around the ballpark as drastically, if you don't re new they will find someone to buy your seats at their price in 5 minutes. You can't say that about the other sections where they were having problems selling tickets. It may not seem fair, but many things in life do not.

Now it is explained better by Brooks today. The OF and upper deck seats were priced top 4 in MLB. The infield seats in the first 10 rows were priced bottom 3. You have been getting a bargain for years.

IronFisk
10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Bout time this was being seriously considered. The parking alone is a joke - should be $10. They will end up spending the money inside on beer and brats anyhow. Point is getting fannies in the seats.

LoveYourSuit
10-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Yeah, the Sox should absorb the costs so they don't hurt loyal fans' feelings.

And then they should field the roster with AAA players going forward just so that everyone is happy and costs are kept down.

You think your Season Ticket is worthless now, wait until this team becomes a consistant 90 loss team each year by fielding a crappy roster all for trying to keep loyal fans' ticket prices down.

DumpJerry
10-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Yeah, the Sox should absorb the costs so they don't hurt loyal fans' feelings.

And then they should field the roster with AAA players going forward just so that everyone is happy and costs are kept down.

You think your Season Ticket is worthless now, wait until this team becomes a consistant 90 loss team each year by fielding a crappy roster all for trying to keep loyal fans' ticket prices down.
Did I miss the news about the reduction in television money?:scratch:

palehosepub
10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Anyone in the premium LD boxes get notified yet with specifics on pricing? I left a message for my rep several days ago and I have not have even received an acknowledgement of my message.

Chez
10-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Anyone in the premium LD boxes get notified yet with specifics on pricing? I left a message for my rep several days ago and I have not have even received an acknowledgement of my message.

Nope. I sent my rep an e-mail this morning saying that I'd heard lots of rumors and wanted some specifics. No response yet.

Lip Man 1
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Love:

Brooks also SPECIFICALLY told the mainstream media when he had his press conference that the reduction in ticket / parking prices WILL NOT IMPACT the payroll the team has to work with.

Assuming he isn't flat out lying (and I don't think he would) obviosuly there are other areas that carry more impact on payroll then it was assumed in the past.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Love:

Brooks also SPECIFICALLY told the mainstream media when he had his press conference that the reduction in ticket / parking prices WILL NOT IMPACT the payroll the team has to work with.

Assuming he isn't flat out lying (and I don't think he would) obviosuly there are other areas that carry more impact on payroll then it was assumed in the past.

Lip

Well no ****. Was he at least honest to mention that they would recoup a good portion of the discounts by increasing prices at the premium sections?

And for anyone to still be hanging on to this idea that ticket sales plays no factor on a team's payroll, I have a few hundred acres of swamp land to sell you.

DumpJerry
10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Well no ****. Was he at least honest to mention that they would recoup a good portion of the discounts by increasing prices at the premium sections?

And for anyone to still be hanging on to this idea that ticket sales plays no factor on a team's payroll, I have a few hundred acres of swamp land to sell you.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9VYM02zOwxUlGY4GveWYEtaTE8FtBj NG6jtmjYkeCEBEu5336WIg1B9Y7

Lip Man 1
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Love:

Never said it has no factor just repeating what he told the media. Obviously there are other revenue streams that may be making up the difference or those other streams may be more important than the idea of ticket sales being the driving force on payroll.

That makes sense to me given the revenue generated from media deals and the marketing department of MLB.

Lip

dickallen15
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Love:

Never said it has no factor just repeating what he told the media. Obviously there are other revenue streams that may be making up the difference or those other streams may be more important than the idea of ticket sales being the driving force on payroll.

That makes sense to me given the revenue generated from media deals and the marketing department of MLB.

Lip
I think the winning thing was missing because they did this survey when the Sox were in first place. People taking the survey really couldn't say winning was the most important thing because the Sox were winning, yet the people surveyed weren't coming.. If they did this survey and the Sox were in last, I have no doubt winning would have ranked high.

Jason82807
10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Bout time this was being seriously considered. The parking alone is a joke - should be $10. They will end up spending the money inside on beer and brats anyhow. Point is getting fannies in the seats.

Parking lots will probably be pretty full at $20, especially with the red line shutdown next season.

mahagga73
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
yeah, that was the first thing I thought when I heard this. Like they know they are going to be unwatchable so they cut ticket prices. I hope that isn't the case.

kittle42
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Literally on the phone with my rep. I have two seats in 145 and he said the price is going UP on my seats.

SaltyPretzel
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Literally on the phone with my rep. I have two seats in 145 and he said the price is going UP on my seats.

That's odd. I thought it was just for Premium Box. What row are you?

Jason82807
10-26-2012, 04:44 PM

That makes me worried. I share seats in 145 row 9, so those are probably going up also.

Jason82807
10-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Love:

Lip

I believe Brooks because the reduction in ticket prices should not negatively affect ticket revenue. The seats with the steepest discounts are the seats that went mostly unsold over the past few years, so there should actually be an increase in ticket revenue and attendance. The higher attendance will lead to more revenue from ads, so it should be a win-win.

If attendance doesn't increase significantly in 2013, then I would absolutely expect a payroll purge.

Wedema
10-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Did your rep say how much they are going up?

The original email from the Sox listed Bleachers, Outfield reserved, Premium Upper box, Upper box, and Upper reserved as going down in price. I just assumed that the Premium lower boxes would go up while the lower boxes held flat but I guess that some lower boxes are going up also.

palehosepub
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Just spoke to my ST rep and this is what he told me:

The Sox are taking the premium lower box seats and stratifying them into three layers:
Rows 26 and above (Gold)
Rows 11-25 (me- row 19) (Platinum)
Rows 1-10. (not sure of name?)
· All premium lower box seats were $3,682 per seat last year (or $45.46 per ticket)
· For premium lower box seats in rows 26 and above (Gold) the 2013 seats will remain the same price.
· For premium lower box seats in rows 11-25 (Platinum) the 2013 price will go up $449 per seat to $4,131 or $51 per ticket
· The people in the first 10 rows go up $854 per seat to $4,536 per seat (or $56 per ticket).

He also made a comment that sections 119 & 120 would be gold so I assume that the parallel seats on the third base will also apply.

Harry Potter
10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
thanks for the info palehose

doublem23
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Parking lots will probably be pretty full at $20, especially with the red line shutdown next season.

The Red Line is not being shut down, it is merely being rerouted over the Green Line tracks. For anyone who catches the Red Line north of Cermak/Chinatown (which I would say is the vast majority of people who ride the L to the park) nothing is changing for you save for an extra 2 blocks you will need to walk to and fro.

Brian26
10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
The Red Line is not being shut down, it is merely being rerouted over the Green Line tracks. For anyone who catches the Red Line north of Cermak/Chinatown (which I would say is the vast majority of people who ride the L to the park) nothing is changing for you save for an extra 2 blocks you will need to walk to and fro.

I was just thinking about this the other day. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens next year. I've used that Green Line station almost exclusively since 2004. It is not sized to accommodate the same type of crowds as the Red Line station is. I know how bad the Red Line is after a game with a big crowd, and that's when they have all of the turnstyles open and the express lanes with the handheld card scanners on the right side. That Green Line station only has three or four turnstyles, and the platform isn't as wide. That has potential to get ugly if the CTA doesn't have their **** together.

dickallen15
10-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens next year. I've used that Green Line station almost exclusively since 2004. It is not sized to accommodate the same type of crowds as the Red Line station is. I know how bad the Red Line is after a game with a big crowd, and that's when they have all of the turnstyles open and the express lanes with the handheld card scanners on the right side. That Green Line station only has three or four turnstyles, and the platform isn't as wide. That has potential to get ugly if the CTA doesn't have their **** together.

It will be fine. That was the Red Line stop up until 1991 or 1992.

Brian26
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
It will be fine. That was the Red Line stop up until 1991 or 1992.

Wasn't there a CTA line running down the Ryan though?

I know they switched "Red" & "Green", but did most people just take the Ryan L north and switch over at Lake Street if they wanted to continue north instead of west?

dickallen15
10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Wasn't there a CTA line running down the Ryan though?

I know they switched "Red" & "Green", but did most people just take the Ryan L north and switch over at Lake Street if they wanted to continue north instead of west?
That was the Green Line. The Red Line trains were just as crowded back then as they are now. Obviously it will be a little more crowded because both Red and Green will be together, but they can rig it to go pretty smoothly if they stage the trains correctly. You probably aren't going to have to sit in a train for 10 minutes after a game waiting for the Guiness Book of World Records to show up to count how many people have been fit into a train car next year.

Plus, there will be a drop in users I'm sure.

doublem23
10-30-2012, 09:58 AM

Yeah, it is something to worry about, we'll see how the city handles it, but hopefully congestion will be alleviated a bit by having 2 lines running on the South Side Elevated; Red and Green Line trains will operate on the present-day Red Line so there will be 2x as many arrivals at 35th-Bronzeville-IIT.

If not, it's just a small, minor inconvenience to have to deal with to have the Dan Ryan leg of the Red Line completely rebuilt and fixed in just a few months as opposed to dragging on construction over several years. It's really not a big deal.

Bruizer
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Got my STH bill for 2013. Parking is $18 for weeknights again.