PDA

View Full Version : Brenly not returning to booth

thomas35forever
10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/17/report-brenly-will-not-return-to-cubs-broadcast-booth/
Wouldn't be shocked to see someone hire him as manager. Maybe the Rockies?

Golden Sox
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012? I remember after the 2004 season the Cubs players openly blamed their TV announcers,( Chip Caray and Steve Stone) for not making the playoffs that year. Both Caray and Stone never worked for the Cubs again after that.

PaleHoser
10-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Can't blame him. There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to suffer through 140 Cubs games per year in person. Imagine trying to make that crap sound good.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Brenly is the top pick for the Diamondbacks booth according to a person I know who works for Arizona.

Lip

DumpJerry
10-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Can't blame him. There isn't enough money in the world to pay me to suffer through 140 Cubs games per year in person. Imagine trying to make that crap sound good.
He skips out on 22 games?

Any word in whether or not he's taking Hawk with him?:praying:

SI1020
10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm wondering was he pushed out the door or is it voluntary so he can be available to the Diamondbacks?

PalehosePlanet
10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Brenly is the top pick for the Diamondbacks booth according to a person I know who works for Arizona.

Lip

Lip, does your source know if Mark Grace wasn't resigned because of his performance in the booth, or strictly due to his DUI's?

SephClone89
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012?

Is this really necessary?

Bob Roarman
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
The Bad Guys on the Northside have always been good at the blame game. Are they blaming Brenly for their lack of success in 2012? I remember after the 2004 season the Cubs players openly blamed their TV announcers,( Chip Caray and Steve Stone) for not making the playoffs that year. Both Caray and Stone never worked for the Cubs again after that.

I don't know about Chip, but I know McDonough had a lot more to do with Steve Stone being fired or "not brought back" than any of the Cubs players did.

Frontman
10-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Of course the talk of Kerry Wood replacing Brenly starts. Kerry's done a lot for the organization and the city, but come on now. How about getting someone who can comment on the game itself who also has a bit of experience in broadcasting?

Same with the talk about Mark Grace coming "home" to the Cubs. The man got fired due to his drinking problems. Probably better to let him get healthy before rushing him into another job!

As much as I can't stand the guy, Mike Murphy might actually make watching Cubs games interesting.

Bob Roarman
10-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Murphy might be worse than Hawk. Here's what kind of weird delusional person Mike Murphy is, when he still worked at WSCR he would read off emails that came into the show much like any other show. And there would always be this one guy, can't remember the name, that would always write in and agree with everything Mike said on whatever the topic of discussion was. Always on about how right he always was, how smart he was,etc. Turned out it was actually Murphy sending himself the emails from his wife's email account.

Lip Man 1
10-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Part of the Cubs requirements according to Jim Katt, who at one time applied for a job with them are basically to not criticize to harshly and to promote the "atmosphere" surrounding the team. (i.e. Wrigley Field). Jim told me that in his interview.

Don't know if that's changed since McDonough left (I suspect it hasn't). Jim found those requirements hard to take when he applied and I think he's probably happy he didn't get that job.

Lip

Bob Roarman
10-17-2012, 10:21 PM
I suspect it has since McDonough departed as that was his work. I remember Brenly ripping on some of the Cubs players over the past few years.

SoxSpeed22
10-17-2012, 11:31 PM
That's unfortunate. I liked Brenly a lot as a color commentator guy. If the rumors are true, he should do just fine in Arizona.

DrCrawdad
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Of course the talk of Kerry Wood replacing Brenly starts. Kerry's done a lot for the organization and the city, but come on now. How about getting someone who can comment on the game itself who also has a bit of experience in broadcasting?

Same with the talk about Mark Grace coming "home" to the Cubs. The man got fired due to his drinking problems. Probably better to let him get healthy before rushing him into another job!

Let's not forget that the Cubbies and many of their fans celebrated a radio broadcaster, Ron Santo, who could hardly utter an intelligible, coherent sentence.

Is this really necessary?

Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded? :?:

Bob Roarman
10-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded? :?:

It's funny how this works. There are people on this site that are concerned with it's "image" and how it displays itself to, I don't know, the rest of the internet? Other baseball fans? Not really sure. But it's part of the reason why certain discussions can't take place here or why things are moved or deleted or whatever.

So it's amusing to me while they're sure to clamp down on other things, maintaining and allowing the behavior that backs up the stereotypical White Sox fan problem with their inferiority complex in dealing with the Cubs and, at the same time mind you, complain about being perceived as having such a problem, they don't seem to see the connection going on there. Oh well.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Any word in whether or not he's taking Hawk with him?:praying:Jeez, is it possible to have a thread about broadcasting without someone posting Hawk hate? This thread isn't about Sox broadcasters, it's not even about the Sox. Give it a rest.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Lip

I'd have to think the D-backs would jump for joy after the junk they have had the last few years. Daron Sutton was terrible.

SI1020
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Is this really necessary? Is this is what it's come down to, where a poster on WSI can't take a playful poke at the Cubbies without getting scolded? :?: This sissified holier than thou lord of the board crap is getting so tiresome. A long time poster that seems to have left gave a parting shot and I'd have to say I agree with the adjective he used to describe the posters that seem to want to micromanage everyone they are offended by. Not only that but the Cubs do have a history of putting their broadcasters on a short leash. So I'd be curious to know if that is the case with Brenly.

PatK
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM

As much as I can't stand the guy, Mike Murphy might actually make watching Cubs games interesting.

Are you sure Mark was fired for his drinking?

Regardless, he was a terrible announcer.

Frontman
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Two high-profile DWI/DUI arrests in a state that is pretty strict on enforcement?

Rockies might of given another reason, but he was let go after his second arrest. Ricketts might see an appeal in having a Cubs fan favorite on the air; but he also might avoid him all together as Grace might be facing jail time for his arrests.

Herbal
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
He skips out on 22 games?

Factors in Fox/ESPN games.

bigsoxfan420
10-18-2012, 02:30 PM
...and this is why Hawk (while he annoys the **** out of me quite often) being a homer does not bother me at all. Hawk is a White Sox through and through and very proud of it. Brenly, like many teams just have hired guns in the booth, not matter how long he has been in Chicago, jumped ship as soon as a job close to home became open.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
...and this is why Hawk (while he annoys the **** out of me quite often) being a homer does not bother me at all. Hawk is a White Sox through and through and very proud of it. Brenly, like many teams just have hired guns in the booth, not matter how long he has been in Chicago, jumped ship as soon as a job close to home became open.

In fairness to Brenly he lasted eight years with the Cubs, that's not exactly "jumping ship" is it? I have no problem with the man wanting to work closer to home if the opportunity arises especially since he was the manager at Arizona when they won the World Series.

That's a closer connection to a franchise certainly than just calling the games for a team you never played or managed for is it?

Lip

Frontman
10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
In fairness to Brenly he lasted eight years with the Cubs, that's not exactly "jumping ship" is it? I have no problem with the man wanting to work closer to home if the opportunity arises especially since he was the manager at Arizona when they won the World Series.

That's a closer connection to a franchise certainly than just calling the games for a team you never played or managed for is it?

Lip

If Brenly goes to the Rockies like a lot of reports have him doing, I don't see how you can consider him "jumping ship."

He lives in Colorado
He managed the Rockies to a World Series Championship

Two HUGE pluses for "heading home" in my book.

Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit for ol' JonnyCakes to join a national broadcast team. Fox/ESPN/TBS all could use his talents.

MUsoxfan
10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
If Brenly goes to the Rockies like a lot of reports have him doing, I don't see how you can consider him "jumping ship."

He lives in Colorado

Although it wouldn't surprise me one bit for ol' JonnyCakes to join a national broadcast team. Fox/ESPN/TBS all could use his talents.

You're confusing the Rockies with the Dbacks

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Frontman:

I'm not accusing him of jumping ship at all. I was defending him in my post. I think you are confusing me with bigsoxfan420.

:?:

Lip

Noneck
10-18-2012, 07:20 PM

He lives in Colorado

Huh? What? Did I just enter the Twilight Zone?

cub killer
10-19-2012, 06:36 AM
This sissified holier than thou lord of the board crap is getting so tiresome. A long time poster that seems to have left gave a parting shot and I'd have to say I agree with the adjective he used to describe the posters that seem to want to micromanage everyone they are offended by.
+1000. It's very annoying.

TheOldRoman
10-19-2012, 01:43 PM
+1000. It's very annoying.

doublem23
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
This sissified holier than thou lord of the board crap is getting so tiresome. A long time poster that seems to have left gave a parting shot and I'd have to say I agree with the adjective he used to describe the posters that seem to want to micromanage everyone they are offended by. Not only that but the Cubs do have a history of putting their broadcasters on a short leash. So I'd be curious to know if that is the case with Brenly.

People are entitled to opinions *GASP* other than your own. Shocking that some folks don't find a little joking about drunk driving hilarious. Sorry this place isn't the corner bar where you and the brahs can knock a few back and then say whatever you want without repercussion.

Put your big boy pants on and deal with it. The idea that you'd be do hypocritical to lecture people about lecturing people is so preposterous its makes me laugh.

TheOldRoman
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
People are entitled to opinions *GASP* other than your own. Shocking that some folks don't find a little joking about drunk driving hilarious. Sorry this place isn't the corner bar where you and the brahs can knock a few back and then say whatever you want without repercussion.

Put your big boy pants on and deal with it. The idea that you'd be do hypocritical to lecture people about lecturing people is so preposterous its makes me laugh.
So, you're lecturing him about lecturing to people who lecture people? It's like Inception. And I don't see any jokes about DUI here, and certainly not from the post which prompted the effete gasping which seems to come after anybody says anything about the Cubs other than "they're the best team ever!"

doublem23
10-19-2012, 02:54 PM
So, you're lecturing him about lecturing to people who lecture people? It's like Inception. And I don't see any jokes about DUI here, and certainly not from the post which prompted the effete gasping which seems to come after anybody says anything about the Cubs other than "they're the best team ever!"

Oh yeah, you're right I'm not following the thread correctly (its hard on a phone). So let's just say

A) Nothing wrong with making fun of the Cubs, especially on the board that was set up to make fun of the Cubs.
B) Just hit the ****ing "Report Post" button.

Frontman
10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
You're confusing the Rockies with the Dbacks

That I am. My bad.

Now somebody lecture me about being wrong. I feel left out of the lecturing. :)

AZChiSoxFan
10-25-2012, 03:40 PM

After his first DUI, the D-backs brass told Grace in no uncertain terms, that if he got a second DUI, he would then be unemployed.

I totally agree, he was horrible. Part of the reason I haven't watched a D-backs game in a couple of years.

Frontman
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Talk of Eric Karros joining Len. Not too sure about that working.

RKMeibalane
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Talk of Eric Karros joining Len. Not too sure about that working.

I remember Karros working for Fox during the 2004 postseason, and he didn't do well. I'm not sure if he's had any significant experience since then, but it's possible he's improved. Either way, the Cubs don't seem to care who works for them as long as they don't criticize the product on the field.

RadioheadRocks
11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I remember Karros working for Fox during the 2004 postseason, and he didn't do well. I'm not sure if he's had any significant experience since then, but it's possible he's improved. Either way, the Cubs don't seem to care who works for them as long as they don't criticize the product on the field.

As if their product on the field has been above criticism for the past 104 years. :rolleyes:

Domeshot17
11-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Almost sure he still does a ton of Fox games. IIRC he called Humber's Perfecto