PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod to Marlins?

Lip Man 1
10-17-2012, 04:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8517121/alex-rodriguez-trade-discussed-offseason-new-york-yankees-miami-marlins-source-says

Lip

SoxSpeed22
10-17-2012, 05:01 PM
That might be best for both parties. ARod has worn out his welcome in NY and if not for 09, he would have been one of the biggest busts for big name guys to play for the Yanks.
I'm pretty sure any trade would have to feature at least one bad contract for ARod. Heath Bell maybe?

downstairs
10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Can you make trades during the postseason?

Frontman
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
They just played a soundbyte on Sportscenter from Cashman, saying he's had zero talks about a trade.

Methinks this is either Bristol pulling a Terry Boers, or Ozzie/Dan Lebatard/Joe Cowley starting up a rumor just to make the Miami Marlins relevant in October.......

DSpivack
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Can you make trades during the postseason?

No, any and all major personnel moves have to wait until after the World Series ends.

thomas35forever
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Why not? He and Ozzie probably deserve each other.

RKMeibalane
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't who to feel sorry for, Rodriguez or Guillen?

mzh
10-17-2012, 08:13 PM
They just played a soundbyte on Sportscenter from Cashman, saying he's had zero talks about a trade.

Methinks this is either Bristol pulling a Terry Boers, or Ozzie/Dan Lebatard/Joe Cowley starting up a rumor just to make the Miami Marlins relevant in October.......
I've read that it was upper management going over Cashman's head, a la the Rafael Soriano affair. I still think Cashman will end up somewhere else before he signs a new deal.

lpneck
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM
If the Yankees were willing to trade Dunn for A-Rod and swap salaries, would you do it?

The Sox owe Dunn $15m for the next two years ($30m total). The Yankees owe A-Rod 28m/25m/21m/20m/20m over the next 5. ($114m total.)

The salary difference is $84m, which the Yankees would pay to the Sox over 5 years. (An average of about $17m/year)

Sox take on A-Rod's contract, get rid of Dunn, and the $30m they owe from that contract is now paid to A-Rod as follows:

2013- $11m
2014- $8m
2015- $4m
2016- $3m
2017- $3m

You free up $4m in salary for 2013, $7m in 2014, and have fairly minimal payments in 15,16,17 to the point where you could afford to DFA A-Rod if he is just brutally bad and has become a media nightmare similar to what NY is going through right now. If he is a servicable DH at age 40 in 2015 then you have him for pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure for 2013 A-Rod at $11m > Dunn + Youkilis at $28m

Frontman
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
If the Yankees were willing to trade Dunn for A-Rod and swap salaries, would you do it?

Uhhh.......no. A-rod is a head case that isn't going to get better with a change of venues.

tstrike2000
10-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I highly doubt they're going to want to take on that kind of salary after making those mistakes last year, but we are talking about Loria. They really need to unload the whole coaching staff and start over.

lpneck
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Uhhh.......no. A-rod is a head case that isn't going to get better with a change of venues.

Is Dunn going to get better in his current venue? This is more about getting rid of a .200 hitting #3 hitter and spreading out the $30M owed to him over 5 years instead of 2 to give the Sox some financial flexibility than it is about A-Rod.

Frontman
10-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Considering the Cashman trade rumors source of one Keith "I haven't whored any attention in recent months" Olbermann?

This is a non-story now.

palehozenychicty
10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd be stunned if Loria was crazy enough to take this guy on. It's clear that there was a reason why Texas and Seattle couldn't WAIT to get rid of him.

The numbers are skewed with his PED/Steroid use. Point blank.

SOXPHILE
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Yeah, as soon as I saw "reported by Keith Olberman", I stopped reading the article. I wouldn't believe that guy if he told me the sun rose in the east.

DSpivack
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Is Dunn going to get better in his current venue? This is more about getting rid of a .200 hitting #3 hitter and spreading out the $30M owed to him over 5 years instead of 2 to give the Sox some financial flexibility than it is about A-Rod.

I don't see how that helps payroll flexibility in the long term. The Sox will have to pay Dunn in 2013 and 2014, but then will be done with him. Better to pony up for 2 seasons and then be clear of the obligation then stretch it out over 5, IMHO. Dunn also was able to play the whole season this year and had a higher OPS than Rodriguez, too.

chicagowhitesox1
10-18-2012, 04:07 AM
I found it strange Rodriguez was asking girls out in the middle of a important game while in another post season slump. It will be interesting to see if he's traded because of his no-trade clause though. I think he's gonna try and stay. I don't think the fans have ever warmed up to him so it's not like he's not used to it.

Steelrod
10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I'd be stunned if Loria was crazy enough to take this guy on. It's clear that there was a reason why Texas and Seattle couldn't WAIT to get rid of him.

The numbers are skewed with his PED/Steroid use. Point blank.
Loria IS crazy enough. Needs to replenish his latino drawing cards for 2013. If not, look for Florida to eventually chapter 11.

DeadMoney
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Loria IS crazy enough. Needs to replenish his latino drawing cards for 2013. If not, look for Florida to eventually chapter 11.

If the Marlins were to go this route, Loria may as well offer to sell the team to A-Rod upon his arrival because it'd be bound to happen eventually.

Hitmen77
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Why not? He and Ozzie probably deserve each other.

Ozzie might not be there next year.

:ozzie
Hey, my clubhouse is only big enough for one egomaniac!

DSpivack
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Ozzie might not be there next year.

:ozzie
Hey, my clubhouse is only big enough for one egomaniac!

Oh, I don't know about that. For awhile this season that clubhouse had Carlos Zambrano, Logan Morrison and Hanley Ramirez.

tick53
10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Never forget, fellow Sox fans that KW has always loved A-Rod so if Youkilis goes somewhere else, don't be surprised to see him in Sox pinnies, especially if the Yanks pay his way. If you think I'm nuts then see, Griffey Jr, Manny and the Alomar Brothers :wink:.

kobo
10-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Never forget, fellow Sox fans that KW has always loved A-Rod so if Youkilis goes somewhere else, don't be surprised to see him in Sox pinnies, especially if the Yanks pay his way. If you think I'm nuts then see, Griffey Jr, Manny and the Alomar Brothers :wink:.
Dan Bernstein wrote a column today saying basically the same thing. I hope the rumors of Hahn taking over as GM are true, otherwise A-Rod might just be a member of the team next year.

WLL1855
10-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Dan Bernstein wrote a column today saying basically the same thing. I hope the rumors of Hahn taking over as GM are true, otherwise A-Rod might just be a member of the team next year.

Well, that would solve the 3B problem.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Bob Nightengale writes in USA Today that the White Sox are a potential landing site for A-Rod this off season.

Lip

SI1020
10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Bob Nightengale writes in USA Today that the White Sox are a potential landing site for A-Rod this off season.

Lip Wonderful.

A. Cavatica
10-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Lip

I've always thought A-Rod was overrated, and now he's 37. OPS has fallen five years in a row. He might be a one-year solution at third, but the last thing we need is more expensive, washed-up veterans.

Pass.

WhiteSox5187
10-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Lip

Kenny always gets his man!

chicagowhitesox1
10-18-2012, 08:34 PM
If he stays healthy he could possibly put up 30-40 homeruns in US. Cellular but it is pretty unlikely.

Soxman219
10-18-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm for it. It's the AL Central and A-Rod still hits more consistently than anyone else on this team outside PK and Rios.

chicagowhitesox1
10-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't know if i'm really for it because like a previous poster pointed out his ops+ is really declining. But then again maybe a change and a healthy season will get him back on track. I have doubts that he will even put up a 130 ops+ type of season though. He can probably maintain a 110-120 ops and thats actually pretty good for a thirdbaseman so he might be worth the gamble.

I always hear how he's a cancer in the clubhouse and he's not getting any younger and are the Whitesox stuck with him for 5 years? i would say he's got maybe 2 decent years left.

keloms
10-18-2012, 09:50 PM

Lip

Here's the full article for those interested.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/10/17/alex-rodriguez-yankees-alcs-benched-trade-nightengale/1639977/

He will welcome a trade, the person says, but it must to be to another big-market club. Hint: He won't be going to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The most likely choices would be the Miami Marlins, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

chicagowhitesox1
10-18-2012, 10:00 PM
The new report is he wants to stay with the Yankees and he said he still has too much to prove in a Yankee uniform. I'm sure the Yankees, fans and media are gonna love this off season.

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2012, 10:13 PM
If NYY eats enough salary, I'm fine with A-Rod's bat and glove at the hot corner.

Don't see NYY eating enough salary to make JR approve it, though.

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2012, 12:35 AM
If NYY eats enough salary, I'm fine with A-Rod's bat and glove at the hot corner.New White Sox marketing slogan: "White Sox; where formerly great players go to fade into oblivion."

DSpivack
10-19-2012, 12:59 AM
New White Sox marketing slogan: "White Sox; where formerly great players go to fade into oblivion."

Griffey! Manny! Omar Vizquel! Sandy Alomar Jr.! Roberto Alomar! Andruw Jones! Kenny Lofton!

At least Thome was good here and Albert Belle only had one bad half.

And I suppose you could stretch that back to Steve Carlton and Tom Seaver.

chicagowhitesox1
10-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Tom Seaver actually did pretty good for the Sox. I would say he was the overall best pitcher the Sox had during 1984 and 1985. Although he did age fast and had a horrible 1986 season.

Ron Santo, Don Kessinger or Bill Skowron could be some from the 60's and 70's.

Jose Canseco and maybe Bo Jackson could be a couple more used up stars.

doublem23
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Blurb in the Trib this morning says the Sox have no interest in Rodriguez

pythons007
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Blurb in the Trib this morning says the Sox have no interest in Rodriguez

Meh, that's what they have to say. We'll see in January.

palehozenychicty
10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
New White Sox marketing slogan: "White Sox; where formerly great players go to fade into oblivion."

Seriously.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Seaver won 31 games in his two full years with the Sox and had an ERA of 3.17 in 1985. Hardly a bust in my opinion. Would love to have that on the staff today.

Carlton was only around for a third of a season but he also had good numbers, 10 starts, 63 innings, 40 strikeouts, 3.69 ERA. He was finished to be sure but he didn't embarrass himself or the Sox for taking a shot with him.

Moose hit .293 in 74 games in 1964. In 1965 he made the All Star team hitting .274, 18 home runs, 78 RBI's. After that he began to fall off but part of that was because Eddie Stanky (for some reason) wasn't playing him as much. In early 67 some of the other vets on the club Peters, Horlen, Ward told Moose he should go see Stanky and explain that they wanted him in the starting lineup because of what he could do.

Moose did so. Stanky told him he makes out the starting lineup and traded Moose the next day.

Lip

Soxman219
10-19-2012, 12:31 PM
How would you guys feel about Curtis Granderson?

russ99
10-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Granderson would be a nice addition, but his salary is larger than his production lately. Unless the Yankees are eating a large chunk of his salary, it doesn't make much sense for the Sox.

IMO the real jewel to be grabbed from that roster is Brett Gardner, despite his injury this season.

Imagine Gardner in CF, De Aza/Viciedo in left and Rios/De Aza in right, with the leftover guy getting some time at DH.

Gardner-De Aza would be a heck of a 1-2 punch at the top of the order. We'd score a lot more runs.

ChiSoxFann
10-19-2012, 03:13 PM

A few years ago I would have loved him. I just read an article about the demise of the Yankees and they compared a couple Granderson seasons to Adam Dunn seasons. I really don't want that type of player on our team. I agree with Gardner though, he would be a nice player to take a chance on if NYY wants to get rid of him.

chicagowhitesox1
10-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Seaver won 31 games in his two full years with the Sox and had an ERA of 3.17 in 1985. Hardly a bust in my opinion. Would love to have that on the staff today.

Carlton was only around for a third of a season but he also had good numbers, 10 starts, 63 innings, 40 strikeouts, 3.69 ERA. He was finished to be sure but he didn't embarrass himself or the Sox for taking a shot with him.

Moose hit .293 in 74 games in 1964. In 1965 he made the All Star team hitting .274, 18 home runs, 78 RBI's. After that he began to fall off but part of that was because Eddie Stanky (for some reason) wasn't playing him as much. In early 67 some of the other vets on the club Peters, Horlen, Ward told Moose he should go see Stanky and explain that they wanted him in the starting lineup because of what he could do.

Moose did so. Stanky told him he makes out the starting lineup and traded Moose the next day.

I don't think Bill Skowron could field anymore and he deff wasn't the same player the Yankees had. But he was the Whitesox best option and I gotta give credit to Al Lopez for playing him because unless theres something I don't know theres no way McCraw shoulda been playing over Skowron in 1966.