PDA

View Full Version : Did George Bell Play in '93 Playoffs At All?

Brian26
07-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Help me out here...

Baseball-reference doesn't list him at all for postseason play, like he had no at-bats.

I could swear that he had at least one at-bat, but I thought Lamont had played him in one of the first two games at Comiskey. I know Bo had terrible numbers for that series too...but did George play at all?

Thanks
Brian

RedPinStripes
07-28-2002, 10:42 PM
i'm almost positive he played.

DVG
07-28-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm sure he didn't play at all. He made negative comments about
Lamont before the playoffs and was benched, as befit his status
as a non-contributor.

ISUSoxfan
07-28-2002, 11:30 PM
George Bell said that he didn't respect Lamont as a manager or as a man. Apparently Danny Pasqua was more respectful, because he sure couldn't hit any better than Bell.

Keystone Combo
07-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by DVG
I'm sure he didn't play at all. He made negative comments about
Lamont before the playoffs and was benched, as befit his status
as a non-contributor.

You're are correct, George didn't play at all........ not one AB.

Dan Pasqua was at DH for 2 games going 0-6 and Bo Jackson for the other 3 games going 0-10.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2002, 08:54 AM
There was a big flap between the various DH's for that series. Pasqua started the first two games at first base with Frank DHing. The pot smoker was 0 for 6 and never got another at-bat. Jackson was quoted as saying the Sox were playing a man short.

In game 3, Lamont moved Thomas to first base and inserted Bo Jackson as the DH. The Sox won the next two games but Jackson was a giant 0 for 6.

The series tied 2-2, Lamont let Jackson start at DH again for game 5. Jackson went 0 for 4 in a 5-3 defeat to the Jays. He would be benched next.

In game 6, reserve Warren Newson got the start at DH. He went 1 for 4 with an rbi and a run scored in a 6-3 clincher for the Jays.

IIRC, Bell was hurt most of the '93 season, and never established himself as the everyday DH on the division champion Sox. His whining for playing time was mostly based on his '92 season when he did make significant contributions.

Needless to say, the Sox were terrible in this series. They batted .237 as a team. The whining DH's were a big part of the problem.

For you pitching AND DEFENSE proponents, the Jays batted .301. They also had a Team ERA of 3.67--worse than the Sox. :smile:

Keep dreaming the dream...

:jerry
"I can't figure out why our team has sucked the last two years."

:sandy :slowswing :gun :hitless

ma-gaga
07-29-2002, 09:09 AM
For you pitching AND DEFENSE proponents, the Jays batted .301. They also had a Team ERA of 3.67--worse than the Sox

IMHO:
1. Pitching ~ 45%
2. Hitting ~ 35%
3. Defense ~ 20%

This would be the way I'd setup a team. Oakland is contending and Texas is not. Boston is contending and Baltimore is not. Pitching is key, but there needs to be balanced hitting.

I don't quite know how to work this into a formula for putting together an actual team. Possibly putting 45% of payroll on pitching, and the rest on positional players. Something something like that.