PDA

View Full Version : Much BetterTrade Then Durham One...


kevingrt
07-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Look at them prospects we get in this one,"Diaz, who turned 22 yesterday, was 3-5 with a 2.70 ERA in 12 starts at Double-A Shreveport. Meaux, 23, was an All-Star in the South Atlantic League and is 4-3 with 16 saves and a 2.68 ERA in 43 games for Single-A Hagerstown." by Jimmy Greenfield ChiSox.com Writer.

I actually love this trade. Look at the prospects we're getting. An all-star Single A Reliever and a Great ERA for a Double AA guy, don't need to look at the W-L...

ESPN.com says,"Lofton is a welcome addition to the Giants' outfield which has been decimated by injuries as of late. His speed will be a valuable asset to San Francisco, which is not known for being fleet of foot. Both Diaz (3-5 with a 2.70 ERA in Double-A Shreveport) and Meaux (16 saves with a 2.68 ERA in Class A Hagerstown) are promising pitching prospects in the low minors, but Lofton is well worth the risk."

I think a dandy of a trade, with the mighty great Rowand @ CF...

SoxxoS
07-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

ESPN.com says,"Lofton is a welcome addition to the Giants' outfield which has been decimated by injuries as of late. His speed will be a valuable asset to San Francisco, which is not known for being fleet of foot. Both Diaz (3-5 with a 2.70 ERA in Double-A Shreveport) and Meaux (16 saves with a 2.68 ERA in Class A Hagerstown) are promising pitching prospects in the low minors, but Lofton is well worth the risk."

I think a dandy of a trade, with the mighty great Rowand @ CF...


His speed? I think he has 3 stolen bases since May 25th. He plays so deep in the OF b/c he doesnt trust his speed. This trade was a great thing for the Sox. Now we get to call someone up, see Rowand play, and get 2 good prospects. Wow, im amazed.

Daver
07-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS



His speed? I think he has 3 stolen bases since May 25th. He plays so deep in the OF b/c he doesnt trust his speed. This trade was a great thing for the Sox. Now we get to call someone up, see Rowand play, and get 2 good prospects. Wow, im amazed.

I really don't want to see Rowand play any more than I have to,but I will live with it.

CLR01
07-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by daver


I really don't want to see Rowand play any more than I have to,but I will live with it.



BRING BACK SINGLETON.



"hey guys remember me?"

:slowswing

Tragg
07-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by CLR01







"hey guys remember me?"

:slowswing

In my nightmares.

mrwag
07-28-2002, 11:07 PM
This suprised me - I actually think we got the better end of the deal for once. Who's gonna get the call-up?

Soxheads
07-28-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt


I think a dandy of a trade, with the mighty great Rowand @ CF...

That should be in teal, right?

rmusacch
07-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Look at them prospects we get in this one,"Diaz, who turned 22 yesterday, was 3-5 with a 2.70 ERA in 12 starts at Double-A Shreveport. Meaux, 23, was an All-Star in the South Atlantic League and is 4-3 with 16 saves and a 2.68 ERA in 43 games for Single-A Hagerstown." by Jimmy Greenfield ChiSox.com Writer.

I actually love this trade. Look at the prospects we're getting. An all-star Single A Reliever and a Great ERA for a Double AA guy, don't need to look at the W-L...

ESPN.com says,"Lofton is a welcome addition to the Giants' outfield which has been decimated by injuries as of late. His speed will be a valuable asset to San Francisco, which is not known for being fleet of foot. Both Diaz (3-5 with a 2.70 ERA in Double-A Shreveport) and Meaux (16 saves with a 2.68 ERA in Class A Hagerstown) are promising pitching prospects in the low minors, but Lofton is well worth the risk."

I think a dandy of a trade, with the mighty great Rowand @ CF...

One bad thing about Diaz is that he had shoulder problems last year.

Daver
07-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch


One bad thing about Diaz is that he had shoulder problems last year.

Pedro Martinez has had them throughout his career,so what,I have enough faith in Kirk Champion to work his problems out.That being said,KW got a helluva a deal for a guy that was not going to be with the Sox next year.

Randar68
07-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by daver


Pedro Martinez has had them throughout his career,so what,I have enough faith in Kirk Champion to work his problems out.That being said,KW got a helluva a deal for a guy that was not going to be with the Sox next year.


AMEN Daver! BTW, thanks for picking up my "Rowand is a 4th outfielder at best" chant. At least by September these people will have moved onto another player!

Do we need to fire up the FOV club again?

:versatile
"I'm Baaaaack!

LongDistanceFan
07-29-2002, 12:14 AM
in one trade we come out smelling like roses, and in another we got reamed. this doesn't make sense. i know durham trade was for salary only, but i still think we could've gotten more.

randar are these guys the real deal, i mean legt prospects?

rowand is not a long term cf!

next that should be traded; folke, gascan, clayton, sandy. i know we are stuck with clayton.

Daver
07-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
in one trade we come out smelling like roses, and in another we got reamed. this doesn't make sense. i know durham trade was for salary only, but i still think we could've gotten more.



You can only get more if you have a buyer,in Ray's case there was none or one,you take what you can can get when you are dumping salary.KW did a good job of working Sabean for what he would give up to get Lofton,without sending them another player for another MLB player,Kenny is working the labor angle into this,and I am happy to see it.

Keystone Combo
07-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Randar68



AMEN Daver! BTW, thanks for picking up my "Rowand is a 4th outfielder at best" chant. At least by September these people will have moved onto another player!

Do we need to fire up the FOV club again?

:versatile
"I'm Baaaaack!

Welllllllll, all we wanted was for him to play the rest of the season and see what he can do........ no crystal balls guys, just an opportunity......... if I'm wrong at the end of the season I'll admit it and I hope you two will do the same.

Friend of Aaron Rowand, and most White Sox players who will get an opportunity to prove what they can or can't do....... now let's see........ no more talk.......... just watch and let's find out if he can or can't....... fair enough????

kermittheefrog
07-29-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

are these guys the real deal, i mean legt prospects?


Diaz is legit. He's got a good fastball and to boot Baseball America said he has the best change in the Giants organization. He just turned 22 and he's already proving himself at AA. Let's just say Felix Diaz is more than what I expected for Kenny Lofton. He should be a contributor with an outside chance to be more than that.

HawkDJ
07-29-2002, 01:15 AM
There seems to be a minor league expert over at the Giants official message boards. Here says Meaux is nothing but here is what he says about Diaz.

Diaz may have the most advanced stuff in the system. All Diaz needs are innings. The only question about him is whether or not he can hold up physically. If he does hold up... we will be regreting this trade for YEARS.
I saw him in Spring Training and he was very impressive. Just last week they called him one of the top 52 right-handed starters in the minors

BuehrleACE56
07-29-2002, 02:14 AM
i like this trade a lot. we get two good looking prospects and we get to see rowand full time. i cant wait! i hope that crede gets up here too and shows everyone what we've been missing. maybe this kid with the 16 saves will someday solve our closer problems. the other one has a good ERA for AA. sweet deal kenny. i am actually somewhat impressed. it's rowand time baby! woo hoo go get 'em aaron.

kermittheefrog
07-29-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
i like this trade a lot. we get two good looking prospects and we get to see rowand full time. i cant wait! i hope that crede gets up here too and shows everyone what we've been missing. maybe this kid with the 16 saves will someday solve our closer problems. the other one has a good ERA for AA. sweet deal kenny. i am actually somewhat impressed. it's rowand time baby! woo hoo go get 'em aaron.

Don't you mean bench the Choice?

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
it's rowand time baby! woo hoo go get 'em aaron. I like this trade too. This is what you are supposed to do when you dump your veterans; get some real prospects in return. However, if Rowand is the future of this ballclub, then things are bleak. He seems to be a good kid, but he's a journeyman waiting to happen.

BuehrleACE56
07-29-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
However, if Rowand is the future of this ballclub, then things are bleak. He seems to be a good kid, but he's a journeyman waiting to happen.

how do you figure?

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
how do you figure? Do you think he's going to be a star? I just think he's going to be an average major league outfielder.

Mathew
07-29-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Keystone Combo




Friend of Aaron Rowand, and most White Sox players who will get an opportunity to prove what they can or can't do....... now let's see........ no more talk.......... just watch and let's find out if he can or can't....... fair enough????


I think the tune me and the anti F.O.R. sing is that the opportunity is wasted if the player given it does not have the tools to be a major league player. We need not prove if he can or can't as he has proven this already. His career major and minor league numbers are proof enough for people who aren't blown away his tendency to assault himself. I wish the best of course but if you think we should try to attack the contending teams, Johnny Damon, Torii Hunter, Bernie Williams, Darren Erstad, Mike Cameron, Aaron Rownd .

kermittheefrog
07-29-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56


how do you figure?

Well let's see he wasn't that great in the minors. He's sucked in every way this year. If he had played this way last year and played well this year instead of the other way around what do you want to bet that half the Rowand fans wouldn't exist?

baggio202
07-29-2002, 04:29 AM
as the official number 1 kenny williams hater and president of the " death to williams" fan club id like to say that finally, i finally saw kenny williams take advantage of another teams weakness...IT FINALLY FREAKIN HAPPENED!!!!!....san fran was so hurting for an outfielder with bonds and shinjo hurt they were using an infielder out there..and williams got two good prospects for a guy that the sox have minimal time and money invested in and wont be here next year anyways...

this also points out what a stupid deal the durham trade was...

delben91
07-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Randar68



AMEN Daver! BTW, thanks for picking up my "Rowand is a 4th outfielder at best" chant.

Add my voice to that chant.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Well let's see he wasn't that great in the minors. He's sucked in every way this year. If he had played this way last year and played well this year instead of the other way around what do you want to bet that half the Rowand fans wouldn't exist?

I'm surprised we don't have some "Friends of Liefer" yet.

hold2dibber
07-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I'm surprised we don't have some "Friends of Liefer" yet.

Sign me up as a charter member!

Well, maybe not. But I do think Liefer has more potential than Rowand. I think if Liefer were given an every day job somewhere, he'd hit .240 with an OBP of .290, 24 HRs and 70 RBIs. However, if you platoon him with a right hander hitter, and played him just against right handed pitching, I think his AVG and OBP would approach respectable (maybe .265 and .330).

Randar68
07-29-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Well, maybe not. But I do think Liefer has more potential than Rowand. I think if Liefer were given an every day job somewhere, he'd hit .240 with an OBP of .290, 24 HRs and 70 RBIs.


Don't forget to mention Sammy Sosa-esque strikeout numbers with only a quarter of the walks....

LongDistanceFan
07-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by daver


You can only get more if you have a buyer,in Ray's case there was none or one,you take what you can can get when you are dumping salary.KW did a good job of working Sabean for what he would give up to get Lofton,without sending them another player for another MLB player,Kenny is working the labor angle into this,and I am happy to see it.

since we are giving away durham, and cash consideration to go towards his salary, we are practically paying his entire salary. then why not keep him and see what the future brings.

with the offseason and next yr, we can see what we can get, if we are forced to keep him, b/c of arbitration. if no arbitration, then we will let him walk.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Don't forget to mention Sammy Sosa-esque strikeout numbers with only a quarter of the walks.... And the cast iron glove.