PDA

View Full Version : Championship Series

Zakath
10-13-2012, 12:50 AM
ALCS - Tigers vs. Yankees (all games on TBS)
Game 1: Saturday at New York, 7 pm
Game 2: Sunday at New York, 3 pm
Game 3: Tuesday at Detroit, 7 pm
Game 4: Wednesday at Detroit, 7 pm
Game 5 (if necessary): Thursday at Detroit, 3 pm
Game 6 (if necessary): Saturday, Oct. 20 at New York, 7 pm
Game 7 (if necessary): Sunday, Oct. 21 at New York, 7 pm

Season series: Yankees won 6-4 (2-1 at home, 4-3 on road)
Regular season: Yankees 95-67 (51-30 at home, 45-37 on road); Tigers 88-74 (50-31 at home, 38-43 on road)

NLCS - Cardinals vs. Giants (all games on Fox)
Game 1: Sunday at San Francisco, 7 pm
Game 2: Monday at San Francisco, 7 pm
Game 3: Wednesday at St. Louis, 3 pm
Game 4: Thursday at St. Louis, 7 pm
Game 5 (if necessary): Friday at St. Louis, 7 pm
Game 6 (if necessary): Sunday, Oct. 21 at San Francisco, 3:30 pm
Game 7 (if necessary): Monday, Oct. 22 at San Francisco, 7 pm

Season series: Tied 3-3 (1-1 in San Francisco, 2-2 in St. Louis)
Regular season: Giants 94-68 (48-33 at home, 46-35 on road); Cardinals 88-74 (50-31 at home, 38-43 on road)

Soxman219
10-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Go everybody except Detroit.

samurai_sox
10-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Why does TBS get to broadcast the ALCS every year? I don't get TBS and it pisses me off as an AL fan, I miss when Fox would broadcast both series.

PKalltheway
10-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Why does TBS get to broadcast the ALCS every year? I don't get TBS and it pisses me off as an AL fan, I miss when Fox would broadcast both series.
They alternate each season. Last year, the ALCS was on Fox and the NLCS was on TBS.

MUsoxfan
10-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Other than Swisher and A-Rod, there's very little I dislike about the Yankees. Gotta get on the Yankee train....

Moses_Scurry
10-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Go National League!

tebman
10-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Other than Swisher and A-Rod, there's very little I dislike about the Yankees. Gotta get on the Yankee train....

I can't say the same thing. I sympathize with Joe Boyd, the lead character in "Damn Yankees," who's willing to sell his soul to see New York lose. I got a kick reading what John Grisham, the author of "Calico Joe," said (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-21/features/ct-prj-0422-grisham-20120420_1_calico-joe-john-grisham-scott-turow) about how much he hates the Yankees.

They're a strong organization -- got to give them that. But I've seen the White Sox get pushed to the back of the line by that team for so many years that I can't bring myself to appreciate what they do.

Having said that, I'm also not crazy about Detroit, for obvious reasons. So if the Manhattan Millionaires make it through the ALCS, I will then become an rabid National League fan. :clap:

mahagga73
10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
2 things I learned last night.The baseball gods are alive and well as they punished the moronic Nationals for sitting their best pitcher when it matters , and the National fans are the stupidest in baseball . I went over and read a lot of their comments , and almost unbelievably, there is this belief that they will surely be in this position for many years to come. Any non-johnnycomelately fan, like most of these so-called Nats fans are not, knows you cannot assume anything in this game with the spectre of injury and free agency, and just plain luck all playing into the future. Rizzo better hope they make it to the playoffs next year , because this is going to be his legacy if they don't.

mahagga73
10-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I hear you man, but when it comes down to Detroit and the Yankees I cannot go for the Yankees in any circumstance .

doublem23
10-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I hear you man, but when it comes down to Detroit and the Yankees I cannot go for the Yankees in any circumstance .

Agreed. I have no love lost for the Tigers, they're a divisional rival after all, but it's not like they stole anything from the Sox; you can't have stolen what you just gave away. The Sox pissed away the division and the Tigers happened to the lucky recipients.

But the Yankees? **** those ****ing ****ers.

Bucky F. Dent
10-13-2012, 05:13 PM

At least we avoid McCarver! Go Cardinals!

10-13-2012, 06:14 PM
This is on TBS too!!!??? I have not been able to watch a single game so far this postseason because of this crap. Why arnt both of the League Championship series on network TV???? :angry::angry::angry:

Soxman219
10-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Agreed. I have no love lost for the Tigers, they're a divisional rival after all, but it's not like they stole anything from the Sox; you can't have stolen what you just gave away. The Sox pissed away the division and the Tigers happened to the lucky recipients.

I understand, I hate the Yankees too, but I don't have as much hate for the Yankees as I do Detroit. I basically hate everyone on that Tigers team, especially Valverde. This hate has been there for a while, way before last year.

PaleHoser
10-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I have to go with the Tigers as much as it pains me to say. I've hated the Yankees for too long, and the End of the World is not a realistic third option.

I do have this crazy vision of Valverde (El Douche Grande) drilling Swisher between the numbers (not in the head, because it wouldn't hurt). But Swisher swings anyway and the bat slips out of his hands, hits Valverde in the forehead and knocks him clear into center field.

A guy can dream right?

Wedema
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
This is on TBS too!!!??? I have not been able to watch a single game so far this postseason because of this crap. Why arnt both of the League Championship series on network TV???? :angry::angry::angry:

What cable company does not carry TBS?

Soxman219
10-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Yanks had two chances to score, but lucky breaks save Fister. Still 0-0 going into the 3rd.

Hitmen77
10-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Absolutely. No way I'm rooting for the ****ing Yankee$$$$$.

I have no love for the Tigers either, but l can't blame them for the Sox totally handing them the division title. I have to give Tigers management and ownership credit for going for it. While we spend another winter pointing fingers at JR, KW, and the Sox farm system, the Tigers (a mid-market team) developed the talent and were willing to spend the money to get players like Cabrera and Fielder and Scherzer....and they're in the ALCS.

Zakath
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
A-Rod's going to need police protection if this keeps up.

Yankees have left 9 on, with Rodriguez personally having left 6 on.

SoxSpeed22
10-13-2012, 10:40 PM
The Yankees pitching staff is way too beat up from the Baltimore series. Detroit might break this one open soon.

Soxman219
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Fister is like the ultimate bend but not break pitcher.

StillMissOzzie
10-13-2012, 11:01 PM

+1

My dislike for the Yankees and all they stand for goes much longer and deeper than any divisional rivalries.

SMO
:gulp:

thomas35forever
10-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Valverde chokes again!:bandance:

Brian26
Wow

SephClone89
What

how

why

huh?

ohiosoxfan
10-13-2012, 11:37 PM
awesome!

never was a Yankees fan before!

aryzner
10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Valverde.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

HAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

YES.

billyvsox
Hahahaha.....El Papa Douche Bag poops his pants again

Zakath
Valassclown's writing his ticket to unemployment.

SephClone89
10-13-2012, 11:41 PM
awesome!

never was a Yankees fan before!

Indeed. My father feels the same way, but he went in for a high five after that just happened. Wow.

WhiteSox5187
10-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Cabrera looks like he might take a bat to Valverde soon. IF he converts a save this season his catcher should slap if even THINKS about doing a ****ing a dance on the mound.

Zakath
10-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Cabrera looks like he might take a bat to Valverde soon. IF he converts a save this season his catcher should slap if even THINKS about doing a ****ing a dance on the mound.

I doubt he gets a chance the rest of the postseason. Leyland's been burned twice by this fool. He's going to end up pitching in mop-up, when the game's out of hand either way.

Funny thing here is that he can't get the loss or even get charged with a blown save, since it wasn't a save situation when he came in.

samurai_sox
10-13-2012, 11:48 PM

I hear you buddy!! :angry:

Zakath
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Hell of a graphic there:
Detroit starters - 41 IP, 5 ER, 46 K
Detroit relievers - 11 2/3 IP, 9 ER, 12 K

That's a 1.10 ERA for the starters, and a 6.94 ERA for the relievers.

samurai_sox
10-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Valverde!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Karma is a bitch! You're showboating ways have come back to haunt you ten fold!!!

lb8fWUUXeKM

ChiSoxGal85
10-14-2012, 12:41 AM
valverde.

Hahahahhahahahahahahha.

Haahhahahahhahahahhahaha.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha.

Yes.

+1,000,000

soxnut1018
10-14-2012, 12:45 AM
I do not like Nick Swisher.

SoxSpeed22
10-14-2012, 12:52 AM
This is quickly turning into a worst-case scenario for the Yankees. Jeter just left the game with another injury and they just ran through their bullpen again. They are down 2 again, they would have been better off losing in 9.

Soxman219
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Well, we won't be seeing Valverde next year.

happydude
10-14-2012, 01:15 AM
All credit to the Tigers for getting up off the mat after Valverde collapsed. And a thumbs down to Swisher; he cost the Yankeees the game by missing that catchable rocket off Young's bat. As usual, he was too busy setting up his circus acrobat act...

happydude
10-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Jeter is done for the rest of the playoffs. Damn..

slavko
10-14-2012, 01:25 AM
All credit to the Tigers for getting up off the mat after Valverde collapsed. And a thumbs down to Swisher; he cost the Yankeees the game by missing that catchable rocket off Young's bat. As usual, he was too busy setting up his circus acrobat act...

He was there, maybe even past it, and didn't get his glove down. Got booed real good when he fanned in the bottom 12th. Great game to watch esp. for us. No palpitations, but still a dramatic roller coaster. I love baseball.

happydude
10-14-2012, 01:35 AM
He was there, maybe even past it, and didn't get his glove down. Got booed real good when he fanned in the bottom 12th. Great game to watch esp. for us. No palpitations, but still a dramatic roller coaster. I love baseball.

These playoffs have been excellent so far haven't they? I love playoffs in any sport but there is something unique about the high drama in baseball because of its slow pace relative to other sports.

JB98
10-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Swisher is such a loser. He gifted Delmon Young two of his three hits in this game.

Too bad about Jeter. You knew something was seriously wrong. His leg was bent at an odd angle as he was helped off the field. And you know that guy doesn't stay down on the ground like that unless something bad happened.

Gonna be tough for New York to win this series with Jayson Nix at SS.

cub killer
10-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Goestogreen has gone to ****.

StillMissOzzie
10-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Anytime you get to see both a Valverde implosion AND a Yankee loss, that's a win / win in my book. Sad to Jeter go down for the rest of the post-season though.

SMO

cub killer
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Joe Buck will commentate both Giants games tomorrow (Super Bowl Champs + NL West champs). Apparently, he's taking a cable car from 'Stick to AT&T.

He coulda done this in 2004 when Pats-Jets played in same area as Bos-NYY, but didn't. I'm sure FOX regretted that ever since...

WSox597
10-14-2012, 07:46 AM
I didn't think the Tiggers would get past Oakland, so they have surprised me. I'm not a fan of anything from Detroit, but it's impossible for me to root for the Yankees.

When I was growing up the Yankees always managed to get by the Sox when the Sox had some good teams.

I have to hold my nose and say go Tigers. At least until the Series if the Cards win the NL. Then it's go Cards!

Brian26
10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Swisher is such a loser. He gifted Delmon Young two of his three hits in this game.

Yep. Swisher let a ball drop two feet in front of him earlier in the game that scored Cabrera. The ball was catchable with a dive.

ChiSoxGal85
10-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Anytime you get to see both a Valverde implosion AND a Yankee loss, that's a win / win in my book. Sad to Jeter go down for the rest of the post-season though.

SMO

And several Swisher muck-ups as well. The only thing better would have been if the Tigers also lost. :D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 12:20 PM

AMEN!! :praying::praying::worship::worship:

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Jeter is done for the rest of the playoffs. Damn..

A huge loss for the Yankees.They truly need to find a way to win game 2 against Sanchez.If they don't,this one might end in 4,sadly.:(:

happydude
10-14-2012, 01:46 PM
A huge loss for the Yankees.They truly need to find a way to win game 2 against Sanchez.If they don't,this one might end in 4,sadly.:(:

I'm thinking that, too. With Verlander on the mound in Game 3 you almost have to look at tonight's game as a must win. The Yankee offense was already stagnant even with Jeter due to the lack of production from Texeira, Cano, Rodriguez and Swisher. In truth, if it wasn't for the unanticipated heroics of Ibanez they'd have gotten knocked out by the O's.

Viva Medias B's
10-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I am a White Sox fan. Anybody but Detroit. Go Yankees! And go Redbirds!

Lip Man 1
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
ESPN.com has a story up now that the Yankees still have available tickets for game #2 of the ALCS.

Guess they have bad fans.....

Lip

thomas35forever
10-14-2012, 04:17 PM
And several Swisher muck-ups as well. The only thing better would have been if the Tigers also lost. :D:
Swisher ALWAYS finds a way to annoy. It's just his nature I guess.

samurai_sox
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
ESPN.com has a story up now that the Yankees still have available tickets for game #2 of the ALCS.

Lip

There's only 2 ways a team with that big of a following can see issues with attendance,

1. Suck so bad that the fans have had enough (Cubs)

2. Price the average fan out of your stadium (Yankees)

Zakath
10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Good Lord, Cano, what the **** was that?

soxnut1018
10-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Cano has just been awful.

SoxSpeed22
10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Cano has just been awful.I realize just about all of the regular position players (with the exception of Ichiro and Martin) have really stunk for the Yankees this postseason. Their pitching has really done well, also if Baltimore wasn't trying to hit 6 run homers in every at-bat, they would be playing in this series instead.

JB98
10-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Swisher has been the worst Yankee in these playoffs. And that's saying something. He is a horse**** player.

Girardi should give Brett Gardner a chance.

Zakath
10-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Awful call at second.

That just gave the ****ing Tigers a run.

Make that 2 runs.

SephClone89
10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the human element!

SoxSpeed22
10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, how many times have the Yanks gotten a bad call to bail them out in the postseason? Baseball has a funny way of evening things out.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Lip

I saw an Atlanta sports writer comment on this on twitter, and almost lost my stuff. The gist of it was "Oh look, the Yankees didn't sell out a playoff game. I never want to hear someone rip on Atlanta fans again."

WHAT? yea, you're right. ATL fans can't sell out ANY playoff game(not to mention being the worst sports city in america), but that's the same as the Yankees out pricing their fans this year.:?:

Brian26
10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Frustrating as hell to watch this as a Sox fan. It may be presumptuous to think the Sox could have taken the A's in five (I think they had the A's number), but god do the Yankees look beatable right now. What an easy path to the World Series that was completely flushed down the toilet.

Lip Man 1
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Brian:

But remember the Sox overachieved!

Lip

Brian26
10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Girardi staying classy on the post-game conference by whining about calls from tonight and last night. Get a life. Your team was defeated handily. Swisher missed another catchable ball down the rightfield line by overrunning it at the wall. Maybe he needs glasses or new contacts.

I love the whining about this call at second base. The pitcher gave up a hit. It's not like it's a blown call at first.

Brian26
10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Brian:

But remember the Sox overachieved!

Lip

It looks like there were three teams the Sox couldn't beat in the post-season:

The Angels (moot point, thanks to the A's)
The Orioles (Defeated by the Yankees)
Detroit (would have been a non-factor if they could have won some games against KC down the stretch)

SephClone89
10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Girardi staying classy on the post-game conference by whining about calls from tonight and last night. Get a life. Your team was defeated handily. Swisher missed another catchable ball down the rightfield line by overrunning it at the wall. Maybe he needs glasses or new contacts.

I love the whining about this call at second base. The pitcher gave up a hit. It's not like it's a blown call at first.

Nothing Girardi said bothered me.

WhiteSox5187
10-14-2012, 07:43 PM

He can whine all he wants, when you can't score you can't win. Had they gotten the call right they would have lost 1-0.

Also I have read on twitter that Swisher is not responding well to the boos and has taken to warming up in the clubhouse between innings so he won't have to face the fans.

Brian26
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Also I have read on twitter that Swisher is not responding well to the boos and has taken to warming up in the clubhouse between innings so he won't have to face the fans.

Which is hilarious considering what he deals with is cakewalk to what Reggie Jackson had to endure, which included wearing a helmet in RF because people were throwing C batteries at his head when they were HAPPY with his performance.

JB98
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
He can whine all he wants, when you can't score you can't win. Had they gotten the call right they would have lost 1-0.

Swisher is a bum. He sucks in all facets and deserves to be hammered by the fans and media. Sure, A-Rod, Granderson and Cano all suck with a bat in their hands right now also, but none of those players have taken their struggles at the plate out in the field with them.

And you're absolutely right, that call didn't decide the game. The difference was the Yankees' inability to score even one lousy run against Detroit's No. 4 starter. 1-0 or 3-0. What's the difference?

New York's offense reminds me a little bit of the Sox. The Yankees score with home runs. When they stop hitting home runs, they can't score.

Of course, the Yankees are better at hitting home runs than the Sox, which is why they are in the playoffs while the Sox are not.

SephClone89
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Jose Feliciano. Amazing.

happydude
10-14-2012, 08:09 PM
There is gonna be a TON of pressure on Sabathia on Tuesday. The way the Yankees are scuffling at the plate CC may be thinking shutout or bust.

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the human element!

Things do appear to be spiraling downward quickly for the Yanks.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking that, too. With Verlander on the mound in Game 3 you almost have to look at tonight's game as a must win. The Yankee offense was already stagnant even with Jeter due to the lack of production from Texeira, Cano, Rodriguez and Swisher. In truth, if it wasn't for the unanticipated heroics of Ibanez they'd have gotten knocked out by the O's.

I am now afraid it's 4 and out for the Yanks.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Cano has just been awful.

Granderson and Swisher haven't been much better,

SephClone89
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
There is gonna be a TON of pressure on Sabathia on Tuesday. The way the Yankees are scuffling at the plate CC may be thinking shutout or bust.

CC's not pitching Tuesday. Hughes is.

SOXSINCE'70
10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
CC's not pitching Tuesday. Hughes is.

The Yanks have come back from deficits before,but this mountain may be too high to climb.I had hoped the Yanks may give the Tigers a fight
(they still may), but the odds of that happening are pretty poor right now,IMO.

central44
10-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Frustrating as hell to watch this as a Sox fan. It may be presumptuous to think the Sox could have taken the A's in five (I think they had the A's number), but god do the Yankees look beatable right now. What an easy path to the World Series that was completely flushed down the toilet.

I felt that way going into the postseason, and nothing i've seen has changed my perception one bit. If the Sox got in, they could have made a deep run--which makes the collapse even tougher to swallow.

ChiSoxGirl
10-14-2012, 10:23 PM

I felt that way going into the postseason, and nothing i've seen has changed my perception one bit. If the Sox got in, they could have made a deep run--which makes the collapse even tougher to swallow.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree with either of you guys more.

It's been two weeks since I stood by my seat in right field after the game and cried because I'd come to the realization that the Sox weren't going to win the division. I thought that the hurt would go away by now, but it hasn't. Instead, it has gotten progressively worse with each Detroit victory. Damn it! We could've totally beaten the A's and with the Yankees not swinging the bats and having lost Jeter to injury, they're looking more beatable by the day.

But then I take a step back and remind myself that both Sale and Quintana were outta gas by mid-September, so we wouldn't have had enough starting pitching. However, had the Sox managed to pull away from the Tigers a little bit at some point during those last few weeks of the season, they could've rested Sale and Quintana 'til the postseason and looked to dudes like Axelrod and Santiago to make spot starts.

Sigh! I just can't stop thinking about what could and should have been. :(:

StillMissOzzie
10-14-2012, 10:52 PM

That's a shame.

Hey, I certainly can't tell you all to root for, since our boys aren't there, and I certainly get the Tiger hatred. It's just that - division rivals come and go. Over the past 12 years or so, our division rival has been either the Indians, the Twins, or the Tigers. (And the Royals have beaten our boys' brains out over a few of these regimes, but I digress...)
Does anyone give a rat's ass about the Indians or the Twins any more? Certainly not I.
Hatred of the Yankees, though - since before the debut of three divisions, since before of the debut of two divisions, since as long as I remember paying attention to baseball - the Yankees have been a thorn in my side SO MANY TIMES.

SO that's why I plug my nose and root for the Tigers.

SMO

happydude
10-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Yep, my friend, this thing looks over. The offense is absolutely putrid right now from top to bottom excepting guys no one was really relying on like Ichiro, Raul, and Martin. With Verlander on the mound Tuesday things look very bleak for the Bombers..

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2012, 12:53 AM
I am now afraid it's 4 and out for the Yanks.:(:Boo freaking hoo.

SephClone89
10-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Boo freaking hoo.

I'm disappointed, because it's not looking like a very competitive series.

guillensdisciple
10-15-2012, 09:02 AM
The sox wouldn't have done jack ****. Who do we have that pitches like Verlander? Sale is great but not even close to his quality. Peavy is worse than fister and then what? We made this on a complete stretch of that "new manager" run and collapsed because we weren't deep or good enough. The fact remains that the only consistent hitters we had were Rios and AJ, everyone else was fairly out of sync

You want to know why the Yankees are struggling? Because they have a home run or no run type of game, and just like the sox. Once the home run leaves, so does the rest of the offense. The tigers have two monsters at the 3 and 4, a decent pitching staff, and a fairly competitive 1-9.

The sox were nice, but they ended where they should have been, and the tigers were a much better team that their bull**** play showed.

I can't dream of grandeur with the sox, they were and have been mediocre for a while.

russ99
10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
The sox wouldn't have done jack ****. Who do we have that pitches like Verlander? Sale is great but not even close to his quality. Peavy is worse than fister and then what? We made this on a complete stretch of that "new manager" run and collapsed because we weren't deep or good enough. The fact remains that the only consistent hitters we had were Rios and AJ, everyone else was fairly out of sync

You want to know why the Yankees are struggling? Because they have a home run or no run type of game, and just like the sox. Once the home run leaves, so does the rest of the offense. The tigers have two monsters at the 3 and 4, a decent pitching staff, and a fairly competitive 1-9.

The sox were nice, but they ended where they should have been, and the tigers were a much better team that their bull**** play showed.

I can't dream of grandeur with the sox, they were and have been mediocre for a while.

Well put. As we saw during out collapse, that in pressure pennant race/playoff baseball, the easy runs and many of the homers dry up, and you need to have other ways to score runs.

Plus we would have played the Yankees in the first round, facing Sabathia twice. Can you see us winning either of those two - or winning all of the other three games with our inconsistent hitting? Heck no.

tebman
10-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Does anyone give a rat's ass about the Indians or the Twins any more? Certainly not I.
Hatred of the Yankees, though - since before the debut of three divisions, since before of the debut of two divisions, since as long as I remember paying attention to baseball - the Yankees have been a thorn in my side SO MANY TIMES.

SMO

:thumbsup: There's no sympathy here for the Yankees. Yes, they were the victims of a blown call last night and I'm right there with Girardi in calling it out. But I'm like so many other Sox fans -- hell, like so many other American League fans -- who have been led to believe we should step off the sidewalk when the Yankees are approaching. If they lose out this series, even to the Tigers, some measure of cosmic justice will have been done.

Our collective distaste is nothing new, of course. This YouTube clip is Jean Shepherd talking about how much he and his Old Man, both White Sox fans, hated the Yankees in the 1930s. It's long, but lays out the generations-long case for partisans like us.

O2e3Ov1lFyg

SI1020
10-15-2012, 09:51 AM
I saw an Atlanta sports writer comment on this on twitter, and almost lost my stuff. The gist of it was "Oh look, the Yankees didn't sell out a playoff game. I never want to hear someone rip on Atlanta fans again."

WHAT? yea, you're right. ATL fans can't sell out ANY playoff game(not to mention being the worst sports city in america), but that's the same as the Yankees out pricing their fans this year.:?: I lived in Georgia briefly in the 80's and going on 10 years now in South Carolina. College sports are king in the south. Especially football, although basketball is big time in North Carolina and Kentucky. This is true even in the major metropolitan areas. It's not going to change any time soon. Us old timers who grew up in the north had our favorite pro teams to root for. Professional sports came later in the south.

Golden Sox
10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I couldn't help but notice all the empty seats at Yankee Stadium for the 2nd Playoff Game against the Tigers. Were those seats sold and some people didn't come to the game? Or are Yankee fans upset over the previous games loss? Then again were the ticket prices too high and people didn't buy the tickets?

slavko
10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I couldn't help but notice all the empty seats at Yankee Stadium for the 2nd Playoff Game against the Tigers. Were those seats sold and some people didn't come to the game? Or are Yankee fans upset over the previous games loss? Then again were the ticket prices too high and people didn't buy the tickets?

That's the one.

Johnny Mostil
10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Well put. As we saw during out collapse, that in pressure pennant race/playoff baseball, the easy runs and many of the homers dry up, and you need to have other ways to score runs.

Plus we would have played the Yankees in the first round, facing Sabathia twice. Can you see us winning either of those two - or winning all of the other three games with our inconsistent hitting? Heck no.

Picky point, but wouldn't the Sox have played the A's in the first round, as the Tigers did?

SOXSINCE'70
10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Boo freaking hoo.

I can't root for the Tigers.I just can't.

Hitmen77
10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
We may very well see a rematch of the 2006 World Series this year.

I wonder if the Sox would sell out ever single playoff game if they made the playoffs just about every single year for 15 years running. .....and yes, I would love to someday be able to find out the answer to that!

doublem23
10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Picky point, but wouldn't the Sox have played the A's in the first round, as the Tigers did?

Yes

TDog
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
That's a shame.

Hey, I certainly can't tell you all to root for, since our boys aren't there, and I certainly get the Tiger hatred. It's just that - division rivals come and go. Over the past 12 years or so, our division rival has been either the Indians, the Twins, or the Tigers. (And the Royals have beaten our boys' brains out over a few of these regimes, but I digress...)

SMO

I still hate the Twins and Indians. I still hate the Royals and A's from the 1970s. Right now I very much hate the Tigers more. I don't think there has ever been a moment in my life as a baseball fan that I didn't hate the Yankees. I take joy in watching the Yankees lose, but that is canceled out by watching the Tigers win.

I would like to see both the Tigers and the Yankees lose this series. Sadly, that isn't going to happen, but I don't have to root for anyone. Someone will go on to play either the Giants or Cardinals, who have won the last two World Series. I think both are clearly better teams than the Tigers and Yankees, even if the Cardinals weren't the best team in their division, and I hope either the Tigers or the Yankees are made to look very bad in losing the World Series.

Nellie_Fox
10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I can't root for the Tigers.I just can't.But you can root for the Yankee$? I'll never understand that mindset. My loyalty is White Sox first, then AL Central, then any AL but Yankees. Unless there was ever (heaven forbid) a Yankees/Cubs series in my lifetime. I guess I'd just completely ignore that.

SephClone89
10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
But you can root for the Yankee$? I'll never understand that mindset. My loyalty is White Sox first, then AL Central, then any AL but Yankees. Unless there was ever (heaven forbid) a Yankees/Cubs series in my lifetime. I guess I'd just completely ignore that.

See, I don't understand this mindset.

ChiSoxFann
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
See, I don't understand this mindset.

Me either. The Tigers beat us up all year and some will root for them to reach the World Series?

I have no trouble rooting for the Yanks and they've been my second team after the Sox since the late 90's. I just loved their history, stadium, uniforms and playoff runs. Everything i want the Sox to be.

I also take pride that the Sox are the only Central team to win the WS since the division was created. The Indians, Twins and now Tigers have had their runs, but failed to capture the ultimate prize. Looks like the Cards will have to be my team now.

Moses_Scurry
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
The Yankees really have not obstructed my White Sox during their quests for championships in the time of my fandom (1982-present). The Sox have never played in the same division as the Yankees, and they've never met the Yankees in the playoffs. I just don't have the same level of Yankee-hate as someone like my father, who lived through all those years where the Sox failed to make the World Series directly because of the Yankees.

My sports grudges are very long lasting, and include the Orioles (1983), the A's (1990-1992), the Bluejays (1993), the Indians (late '90's), the Twins (2000's), the Tigers (2006, present), and the cubs (entirety of my fandom). For some reason, the Rays (2008) escaped.

It's not limited to baseball. I hate the 49ers and Redskins for what they did to the Bears in the '80's.

I want the Yanks to beat Detroit. I also want the NL winner to beat the AL winner.

I have to admit that while I am getting pretty tired and jealous of the St. Louis Cardinals, the absolute misery porn on cub websites has been quite entertaining!

ChiSoxGirl
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I can't root for the Tigers.I just can't.

Neither can I! As much I hate the Yankees, my hatred for the Tigers has won out this postseason.

Huisj
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Neither can I! As much I hate the Yankees, my hatred for the Tigers has won out this postseason.

It's especially gotten bad for me living in the middle of Tigers country for most of my life. Growing up, my friends paid no attention to the Tigers other than in a nostalgic way. They liked old Tiger stadium, Ernie Harwell, talking about the '84 world series which they learned about from their dads, but nobody really was into following the team itself (or baseball at all for that matter) because they were awful for pretty much the entire time I was growing up.

That all changed in 2006 when tons of fans popped up all over, and at first it was neat because many of my friends were finally interested in baseball and actually wanted to get together to watch games. But now with the Sox-Tigers rivalry getting more heated and with the Tigers getting the better of it recently, it's not as much fun because people get nasty and rub it in and gloat constantly about the Tigers. The Tigers' success somehow gives them confidence to start spouting off about things about the "bad" neighborhood around the Cell and the moron who attacked the first base coach and how the stadium sucks so much that you'd think they were Cub fans. And they all love Rod Allen to death which makes it even worse.

The one thing that's fascinating about Tigers fans is that they almost universally seem hate Jim Leyland (and actually have for quite a while), and if you try to discuss why in a rational manner and maybe even hint at the possibility that he's a decent manager, they'll think you're nuts (which they already think of me anyway since I'm a Sox fan).

Johnny Mostil
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
But you can root for the Yankee$? I'll never understand that mindset. My loyalty is White Sox first, then AL Central, then any AL but Yankees. Unless there was ever (heaven forbid) a Yankees/Cubs series in my lifetime. I guess I'd just completely ignore that.
:thumbsup: How the ALC champ does reflects on the whole division. How the AL champ does reflects on the whole league. I'd like to see the Sox win the World Series for the ALC every year, but, failing that, I'd like to see the ALC do better than it has.

SI1020
10-15-2012, 10:17 PM
See, I don't understand this mindset. What is so hard to understand? He roots for the Sox above all, and then stays loyal to the AL on down the line, the Yankees being a special case that shouldn't be hard to understand given the history. That was and is the reality for a lot of us.

ChiSoxGirl
10-15-2012, 10:23 PM
It's especially gotten bad for me living in the middle of Tigers country for most of my life. Growing up, my friends paid no attention to the Tigers other than in a nostalgic way. They liked old Tiger stadium, Ernie Harwell, talking about the '84 world series which they learned about from their dads, but nobody really was into following the team itself (or baseball at all for that matter) because they were awful for pretty much the entire time I was growing up.

That all changed in 2006 when tons of fans popped up all over, and at first it was neat because many of my friends were finally interested in baseball and actually wanted to get together to watch games. But now with the Sox-Tigers rivalry getting more heated and with the Tigers getting the better of it recently, it's not as much fun because people get nasty and rub it in and gloat constantly about the Tigers. The Tigers' success somehow gives them confidence to start spouting off about things about the "bad" neighborhood around the Cell and the moron who attacked the first base coach and how the stadium sucks so much that you'd think they were Cub fans. And they all love Rod Allen to death which makes it even worse.

The one thing that's fascinating about Tigers fans is that they almost universally seem hate Jim Leyland (and actually have for quite a while), and if you try to discuss why in a rational manner and maybe even hint at the possibility that he's a decent manager, they'll think you're nuts (which they already think of me anyway since I'm a Sox fan).

Um, have they seen the neighborhood surrounding Comerica Park?! :mg: Pot, meet kettle. I went up there for a Sox/Tigers game in July 2006 and felt like I was in the ghetto the whole time - buildings with blown out windows, abandoned cars, etc. There was a nice Holiday Inn a few blocks from the part, which is where we stayed, and a Cheli's Chili steps from the ballpark, but that's about it.

SephClone89
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
What is so hard to understand? He roots for the Sox above all, and then stays loyal to the AL on down the line, the Yankees being a special case that shouldn't be hard to understand given the history. That was and is the reality for a lot of us.

But if everyone hates division rivals like the Tigers, Twins, etc, why would you root for them ahead of another AL team you're neutral on--say Baltimore, or Seattle?

If I've spent the whole damn season wishing failure on a team, it makes no sense to all of a sudden favor them when they go up against another team I haven't seen play 1248x a season and maybe has an interesting narrative or players who are fun to watch.

Huisj
10-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Um, have they seen the neighborhood surrounding Comerica Park?! :mg: Pot, meet kettle. I went up there for a Sox/Tigers game in July 2006 and felt like I was in the ghetto the whole time - buildings with blown out windows, abandoned cars, etc. There was a nice Holiday Inn a few blocks from the part, which is where we stayed, and a Cheli's Chili steps from the ballpark, but that's about it.

It's ironic, yes. Downtown Detroit is an interesting place. For every block that makes progress, there's a building next door that is abandoned and falling apart. The stadiums have certainly done a lot to help that immediate area (which I think was basically a giant burned out chunk on abandoned nothingness 15 years ago), but there's still a long ways to go before there's a full continuous nice downtown there.

I suppose if you drove in from the suburbs and parked within a few blocks to the south of the stadium, you might see only the decent area by the Detroit Athletic Club, the opera house, the Fox theatre strip, and the two stadiums, and that area does appear to be quite cool. But that's a very small area, probably only about the size of the parking immediately between 35th and 37th street at the Cell. Venturing immediately north across the highway or west past Fox Theatre, and you're suddenly in a different world.

tstrike2000
10-15-2012, 10:44 PM
I can understand the booing for Matt Holliday. That was a bush league slide and he's lucky he didn't tear up Scutaro's knee.

JB98
10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
I can understand the booing for Matt Holliday. That was a bush league slide and he's lucky he didn't tear up Scutaro's knee.

Or break his leg. I'm all for a hard slide at second base, but Holliday slid late and looked like he was trying to injure Scutaro.

The baseball gods punished him with an error later in the game.

WhiteSox5187
10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Tim McCarver is an idiot, the Cardinals are not arguing that Blanco was out of hte baseline, they were arguing that Craig tagged him. And he did.

samurai_sox
10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Tim McCarver is an idiot, the Cardinals are not arguing that Blanco was out of hte baseline, they were arguing that Craig tagged him. And he did.

The sky is blue, water is wet, and everybody poops.

slavko
10-16-2012, 01:05 AM
More empty seats.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2012, 01:06 AM
But if everyone hates division rivals like the Tigers, Twins, etc, why would you root for them ahead of another AL team you're neutral on--say Baltimore, or Seattle?

If I've spent the whole damn season wishing failure on a team, it makes no sense to all of a sudden favor them when they go up against another team I haven't seen play 1248x a season and maybe has an interesting narrative or players who are fun to watch.I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.

StillMissOzzie
10-16-2012, 02:29 AM

I mentioned this possibility to the ball & chain, but then added that I doubt that I will live that long.

SMO

JB98
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I mentioned this possibility to the ball & chain, but then added that I doubt that I will live that long.

SMO

It nearly happened in 2003. It probably should have happened. But since it didn't happen, it probably never will.

TDog
10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.

Apparently I was mistaken, but I thought you hated the Yankees going back to the 1960s and 1950s, the way most Sox fans hated the Yankees, because they were bitter rivals.

Yankee hatred existed and was widespread before free agency, although there always seemed a monetary aspect. The decade when baseball had both a reserve clause and an amateur draft coincides with the decade since the 1920s when the Yankees didn't contend. But the money when the Yankees stood between the White Sox and a couple more championships in the decade before the amatuer draft was smaller in scale. I don't see how anyone with a soul could have been rooting for the Yankees over the Brooklyn Dodgers in those World Series matchups.

I can't wish ill will on the Tigers for six months and feel good about watching them win in the postseason. I can't ever feel good about cheering for the Yankees. I know there are Cubs fans who would never cheer for the Cardinals in the World Series. I had a supervisor at my job in 2005 who told me when the Cardinals and Astros where in the NLCS playing to face the White Sox that as a Cubs fan, a World Series between the White Sox and Cardinals would be his worst nightmare.

doublem23
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM

If I've spent the whole damn season wishing failure on a team, it makes no sense to all of a sudden favor them when they go up against another team I haven't seen play 1248x a season and maybe has an interesting narrative or players who are fun to watch.

Well first, it's sports, it doesn't have to be completely rational all the time and second, it makes perfect sense if people want to root for their own divisional foes if they're out of the picture because their success casts a positive light on your own team. It's embarrassing when the Sox struggle in what is usually the worst division in baseball, but if the Tigers are actually a lot better than their record may suggest, it adds legitimacy to the entire division.

At any rate, seriously, who the **** cares why someone else chooses to root for another team over another?

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Apparently I was mistaken, but I thought you hated the Yankees going back to the 1960s and 1950s, the way most Sox fans hated the Yankees, because they were bitter rivals.Oh, I do. The Yankees won every AL Pennant from the time I was born until I was 16 years old, with the exception of '54 and '59.

But I don't limit myself on the number of reasons to hate the Yankees.

Johnny Mostil
10-16-2012, 06:41 PM
well first, it's sports, it doesn't have to be completely rational all the time and second, it makes perfect sense if people want to root for their own divisional foes if they're out of the picture because their success casts a positive light on your own team. It's embarrassing when the sox struggle in what is usually the worst division in baseball, but if the tigers are actually a lot better than their record may suggest, it adds legitimacy to the entire division.

At any rate, seriously, who the **** cares why someone else chooses to root for another team over another?

+1, especially about the embarrassment when the Sox struggle in a poor division.

TheVulture
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
For some reason, the Rays (2008) escaped.

Probably because that Sox squad had no business in the playoffs to begin with.

fisk4ever
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
But I don't limit myself on the number of reasons to hate the Yankees.
Words to live by!

Hitmen77
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.

I totally agree with what you say here. Five ALCS appearances in the last 10 seasons....how do they do it? It must be that Yankees mystique!:rolleyes: I know there are other big-spending teams, but the 2012 Yankees major league payroll is a whopping $23M higher than the 2nd highest payroll team.

The only way i'd ever root for the Yankee$ to win the World Series is in your dreaded scenario of them playing the Cubs.

SoxSpeed22
10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Delmon Young is on his way to being ALCS MVP :mad:
Meanwhile, panic move by Girardi going to his already overworked bullpen.
Edit: Turns out Hughes had a back injury. Things just keep getting worse for the Yanks.

SoxSpeed22
10-16-2012, 10:08 PM
As for the whole who to root for thing, Nellie grew up in a different era than most of us, the Yankees and the White Sox were competing for the AL year in and year out, so I have no problem with him hating the Yankees more than anyone else. Personally, I have more of a problem with our central division foes. Rivals come and go in baseball though.

soltrain21
10-16-2012, 11:14 PM
All this pitching talent and he dates Kate Upton. On top of the world.

thomas35forever
10-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Give Detroit credit. They have the star power and talent to win a short series.

LoveYourSuit
10-17-2012, 12:18 AM
If the Tigers win the WS with the current bullpen and especially closer situation .... you never ever as a team spend money on a bullpen.

Never.

Bullpens are the biggest roll of the dice in any sport.

Soxman219
10-17-2012, 01:03 AM
The Yankees are pretty much done, the Tigers will be in a WS. That could have been us.

samurai_sox
10-17-2012, 01:57 AM
This is starting to feel like when the Bears couldn't beat the Packers in the last game of the 2010 season and let them squeeze into the playoffs,

and Green Bay ended up going all the way.

If only the Sox at least showed up a little bit Detroit wouldn't even be in the playoffs right now.

AnkleSox
10-17-2012, 09:51 AM
No amount of playoff success will ever change the fact that the Tigers are from Detroit. I'd much rather be a loser from anywhere else than a winner from that wasteland.

ChiSoxFann
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
The Yankees are pretty much done, the Tigers will be in a WS. That could have been us.

That's what is so depressing about watching the Tigers. Oakland is a playoff joke and the Yankees look so bad. If only we could have finished Detroit the Sox could have potentially been in the World Series. This season is going to hurt for a long time, especially if we have to watch Detroit win a title.

Bucky F. Dent
10-17-2012, 10:14 AM
All this pitching talent and he dates Kate Upton. On top of the world.

Yeah, that's not fair at all.

guillensdisciple
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Ahhhhh no it couldn't. We were not that good of a team.

doublem23
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Ahhhhh no it couldn't. We were not that good of a team.

Yet we were better than the Tigers for... 95% of the season.

What you did in the regular season doesn't mean anything once you get to the postseason. You just have to get there.

#1swisher
10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Jon Heyman
Lohse, Cardinals[/URL] starter today, a FA $ winner. so are anibal & raul. losers: valverde, swish, more.
[URL="http://t.co/yojtaDEx"]http://cbsprt.co/XnS9Kg (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cardinals&src=hash)

Bucky F. Dent
10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
The one positive to come out of this series for Sox fans is that we may never have to see Valverde close a game in a Tiger uniform again.

asindc
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
The one positive to come out of this series for Sox fans is that we may never have to see Valverde close a game in a Tiger uniform again.

Actually, I prefer to see this playoffs' version of Valverde closing for Detroit in 2013. I don't think it will happen, though.

ChiSoxGirl
10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
That's what is so depressing about watching the Tigers. Oakland is a playoff joke and the Yankees look so bad. If only we could have finished Detroit the Sox could have potentially been in the World Series. This season is going to hurt for a long time, especially if we have to watch Detroit win a title.

Absolutely. I sigh a little harder each time I think about what could and SHOULD have been for us this season. We lost the division by three games. All we had to do was win TWO of those 12 games we dropped to the Tigers and it would've been us in the ALDS against the A's, not Detroit. And as people have said, anything can happen in the playoffs; all you have to do is get there. Too bad we couldn't get there. :(:

Procol Harum
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
The only way i'd ever root for the Yankee$ to win the World Series is in your dreaded scenario of them playing the Cubs.

I'm a Sox fan and pretty happy to root against the Flubs in nearly every instance but I think in that ultimate WS match-up even I would end up rooting for the North Siders--their defeating the Bronx Bombers would be the ultimate humiliation for New York arrogance. Yankees = 666.

SI1020
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
For those baseball historians out there, the Cubs didn't fare too well against the Yankees in 1932 and 1938. There is even some great archival footage from the 1932 WS of a certain Yankee seeming to point to the CF bleachers just before he deposited the next pitch there.

#1swisher
10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
ALCS - Game 4 will be played today at 4:07 ET

Bob Nightengale
They just took tarp off field at Comerica Park and rain has stopped.
11:04am

DSpivack
10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
4-0 Tigers in the 4th as Cabrera just took Sabathia yard to the LF bleachers for a 2-run shot. Just a few innings left until they're in the World Series. Only question that remains: Will Yankees get a hit?

EDIT: Peralta with a 2-run HR to LF. 6-0.

kittle42
10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Boy, it sure would have been nice for this to be our Sox. But our Sox would have gotten swept by Oakland in the ALDS, anyway.

WhiteSox5187
10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Boy, it sure would have been nice for this to be our Sox. But our Sox would have gotten swept by Oakland in the ALDS, anyway.

Yea, I know that everyone thinks the Sox could have had the same success the Tigers have had this year but the fact is that two of our three best pitchers were absolutely gassed by the middle of September.

DSpivack
10-18-2012, 06:19 PM
There goes the no-no.

WhiteSox5187
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
There goes the no-no.

What's amazing is that Jackson damn near caught that ball!

Lip Man 1
10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Kittle:

I think the Sox would have taken Oakland out in five games...but we'll never know.

Lip

thomas35forever
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
It's over. After that long and tumultuous regular season. And to think we could have stopped this from happening.

wilburaga
10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Yankees swept. Their organization in disarray. Future unsettled. The last time this was so I was a teenager. BTW, I'm 60.

Dan H
10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Kittle:

I think the Sox would have taken Oakland out in five games...but we'll never know.

Lip

You are right; we will never know. I don't buy the logic the Sox would've gone deep into the playoffs if they got there. First, Chris Sale is a great talent but he is no Verlander. Besides, 95% of the time, 85 wins doesn't get a team into the playoffs. The Sox just weren't good enough.

LITTLE NELL
10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I will be giving out a lot of handshakes to some golfing buddies tomorrow, quite a few Michigan transplants here in Sebring.

Brian26
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Wow, quite the scene with Leyland and Dombrowski helping hold Ilitch up on the platform.

SCCWS
10-18-2012, 08:19 PM
I will be giving out a lot of handshakes to some golfing buddies tomorrow, quite a few Michigan transplants here in Sebring.

Nell: Didn't know you were in Sebring. Nice town in the middle of Florida. Had a good breakfast a few years ago in Jimmy's Greek American as we were passing through the town.

JB98
10-18-2012, 08:25 PM
The team with the seventh-best regular season record in the American League is going to the World Series.

Sometimes, getting to the playoffs is the hardest part.

Brian26
You are right; we will never know. I don't buy the logic the Sox would've gone deep into the playoffs if they got there. First, Chris Sale is a great talent but he is no Verlander. Besides, 95% of the time, 85 wins doesn't get a team into the playoffs. The Sox just weren't good enough.

The World Series could be the Tigers (7th best team in the AL) versus the Cardinals (5th best team in the NL). All the Sox had to do was make the post-season. As I said earlier in this thread, it was the easiest path to the World Series in many years. It's a lost opportunity.

The other thing that sucks is that the Tigers had a 7-inning party in the clincher. When's the last time any Chicago team had a chance to clinch at home in that manner? Maybe the '85 Bears against the Rams in the NFC Championship?

I hope this pisses off the White Sox as much as it pisses me off, but I doubt it.

LITTLE NELL
Nell: Didn't know you were in Sebring. Nice town in the middle of Florida. Had a good breakfast a few years ago in Jimmy's Greek American as we were passing through the town.

Being a Greek-American we go to Jimmy's about once a month, they have a great Gyro platter which includes a Greek salad and Fries. Quite a few other eating establishments here in Sebring are owned by Greeks.
You are right, Sebring is a nice town and is located in a spot where in 70 to 90 minutes you can be in Disney World, Tampa-St Pete, the Space Coast, Sarasota and Ft. Myers and of course lots of nice Golf Courses.

PaleHoser
10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Take away Valverde's meltdown in Game 1 and the Yankees score exactly two runs in four games.

With five days off, Verlander's in line to make three starts in the World Series. Tigers will be hard to beat.

Any chance the Tigers leave Valverde off the World Series roster?

My only regret is that Derek Jeter got hurt. I would have loved to see his reaction at the end of tonight's game.

Hitmen77
10-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Congratulations Tigers for being American League Champions. I'm glad the Yankees are going home.

Yea, I know that everyone thinks the Sox could have had the same success the Tigers have had this year but the fact is that two of our three best pitchers were absolutely gassed by the middle of September.

I agree. The July version of the White Sox would have had a decent shot at the series, but the regular season is a 162 game marathon and the Sox were obviously gassed by the end. It's not just the pitchers, position players like Youkilis and Dunn faded badly at the end.

I know we led the Tigers most of the season (including a 3 game lead w/ 16 games to go), but the Tigers just have much more depth than the Sox. As much as I like Sale, we don't have anyone who's even close to as good as Verlander and perhaps Scherzer too. The Tigers have 2 players on their roster who are on track to be 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

IMO, there's a difference between the Yankees just going over the top year after year outspending even the 2nd richest team by tens of millions and the Tigers putting up the money to bring a 2nd pennant in 6 years to Detroit. I can't fault the Tigers organization for investing resources in both their major league roster and their farm system to get it done. They have their faults, but they obviously were able to step up against the big boys when it mattered? When was the last time other than 2005 that a White Sox team really got going down the stretch when the season was on the line?

Hitmen77
10-18-2012, 09:49 PM
The World Series could be the Tigers (7th best team in the AL) versus the Cardinals (5th best team in the NL). All the Sox had to do was make the post-season. As I said earlier in this thread, it was the easiest path to the World Series in many years. It's a lost opportunity.

The other thing that sucks is that the Tigers had a 7-inning party in the clincher. When's the last time any Chicago team had a chance to clinch at home in that manner? Maybe the '85 Bears against the Rams in the NFC Championship?

I hope this pisses off the White Sox as much as it pisses me off, but I doubt it.

Yep, that's pretty much my thinking too.

Since the AL Central was formed under the 3-division/wild card format, we have seen the Indians dominate (7 times as champs including 6 times in 7 years, 4 ALCS appearances, and two pennants), the Twins dominate (6 times as champs including 4 times in 5 years...though they always choked in the playoffs), now the Tigers have won their 2nd straight division title, one 95-win wild card season, and 2 pennants since '06).

When are the Sox going to dominate the Central? 2005 was awesome, but it's 1 ALCS appearance in 18 seasons. Aside from 2005, only 2 playoff appearances (1-6 record) in the other 17 seasons.

Are the Sox pissed off? Even if they were, are they pissed off to actually do something about it to make our team the one that dominates our division?

I almost wonder if we'll see the Royals have a crack at dominating the AL Central for more than 1 season before we see the Sox finally do it.

Railsplitter
10-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Bye-bye Yankers

central44
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM

The Sox fell off a cliff though. They had the talent to win more than 85, and inexplicably got caught up in bad habits such as swinging for the fences, trying too hard, etc.

Apparantly they didn't have what it takes to handle pressure, because they had the division virtually won--barring an embarrassing choke--and they couldn't even manage that. Their opponets would have been a smoke-and-mirrors Oakland team and a Yankee team that they not only handled during the regular season, but fell off a cliff of their own in the postseason. It's not a guarantee that the Sox would have gone to the World Series, but the Tigers just did it against two less-than impressive teams and the Sox had a better record than them the vast majority of the season. It's not like it's far fetched to think the Sox would have made a deep run as well.

For me, it just feels like another sucker punch in a recent flurry of them--the 2010 and 2011 Bears and last season's Bulls team. But in this case, there's no injury to blame--the Sox played well below their abilities, choked away a convincing lead, and should be furious with themselves now that Detroit is going to the World Series.

Jollyroger2
10-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Yep, that's pretty much my thinking too.

Since the AL Central was formed under the 3-division/wild card format, we have seen the Indians dominate (7 times as champs including 6 times in 7 years, 4 ALCS appearances, and two pennants), the Twins dominate (6 times as champs including 4 times in 5 years...though they always choked in the playoffs), now the Tigers have won their 2nd straight division title, one 95-win wild card season, and 2 pennants since '06).

When are the Sox going to dominate the Central? 2005 was awesome, but it's 1 ALCS appearance in 18 seasons. Aside from 2005, only 2 playoff appearances (1-6 record) in the other 17 seasons.

Are the Sox pissed off? Even if they were, are they pissed off to actually do something about it to make our team the one that dominates our division?

I almost wonder if we'll see the Royals have a crack at dominating the AL Central for more than 1 season before we see the Sox finally do it.

Even if the Sox are pissed off, who cares. Doesn't do any good now. It would have been nice if they had shown up for a half dozen or so of the games vs. Detroit and maybe things would be different now. They rolled over meekly in their last two trips to Detroit and then didn't hold serve enough at home. And they couldn't beat even the dregs of the league when they needed wins.

I hate seeing them celebrate but kudos to Detroit.

DSpivack
10-19-2012, 01:16 AM

Clinch a championship, or a conference title? I remember the 2006 NFC title game as basically a party sending the Bears to the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter, though the game before that was close. Going back, the Bulls blew out the Heat in Game 5 of the 1997 East Finals, but every other clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed.

palehozenychicty
10-19-2012, 07:51 AM

It'd be a thought. But our team doesn't have the firepower. September makes that clear every season.

doublem23
10-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Logic doesn't count for anything in the postseason. Was Sale gassed? Was Quintana gassed? Was the offense gassed? Or were they feeling the effects of the pressure? No one can really say so except the guys in the clubhouse.

The Cardinals improbable 9th inning rally against the best team in the National League in the LDS was sparked by a guy who hit .227 (Descalso) and a guy who played in 26 games and hit .232 in AAA this season (Kozma).

You. Just. Have. To. Get. There. Everything else is out the window.

dwitt76
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Clinch a championship, or a conference title? I remember the 2006 NFC title game as basically a party sending the Bears to the Super Bowl in the 4th quarter, though the game before that was close. Going back, the Bulls blew out the Heat in Game 5 of the 1997 East Finals, but every other clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed.

Hawks clinched at home against the Sharks in 2010. But it has been few and far between for Chicago fans.

Johnny Mostil
10-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Hawks clinched at home against the Sharks in 2010. But it has been few and far between for Chicago fans.

The Bulls clinched three (1992, 1996, and 1997) of their six championships at home, no?

Dan H
10-19-2012, 01:09 PM

You would think it would. Having tasted one World Series, you'd think they'd want another. But you had Konerko saying not getting into the playoffs didn't mean the team had a failing season. 2012 was far from horrible, but that let down was awful. Let's see if they aren angry enough to do something this off season.

central44
10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
But you had Konerko saying not getting into the playoffs didn't mean the team had a failing season. 2012 was far from horrible, but that let down was awful.

I can't speak for anyone else, but all i'm going to remember about 2012 is how they choked. In my mind, considering the opportunity they had, 2012 was a failure. The summer was a lot of fun, but the way it ended will be my lasting impression.

I guess furious isn't the right word, but if this doesn't light a fire in them heading into next season, something is wrong.

palehozenychicty
10-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but all i'm going to remember about 2012 is how they choked. In my mind, considering the opportunity they had, 2012 was a failure. The summer was a lot of fun, but the way it ended will be my lasting impression.

I guess furious isn't the right word, but if this doesn't light a fire in them heading into next season, something is wrong.

Sure. I just wonder if this team has the resources to improve the lineup very much going into '14.

If Danks is healthy, the pitching staff will be fine. Floyd's uneven performance is forgivable as a #4 or #5. You know it's coming.

It's the lineup that is a problem. Some good defenders, but not a lot of walks, speed, or hits. There's not a lot ready in the farm either.

Budget is I believe in the $70 millions without arbitration raises and declining attendance.

We'll see what they can do to gain ten more wins.

We'll see what they can do.

TommyJohn
10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Let's see if they aren angry enough to do something this off season.

Bah!!!!
:angry::angry::angry:

Jose.Contreras
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
The Bulls clinched three (1992, 1996, and 1997) of their six championships at home, no?

Absolutely, they did. Bulls won it in Chicago in '92, '96, '97. This is common knowledge, we both know that .

The poster who claimed that the Chicago Bulls never won an NBA title at home because, as he said, "every clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed", should know better. Also, the rationale in thinking that the higher seed is less likely to clich a series at home, is, shall we say, "misguided". The higher seeds clinches the title on their home court exactly 50 percent of the time, and this goes for all four professional team sports leagues played within this country.

DSpivack
10-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Absolutely, they did. Bulls won it in Chicago in '92, '96, '97. This should be common knowledge. The poster who claimed that the Chicago Bulls never won an NBA title at home because, as he said, "every clincher to the Finals was on the road as they were almost always the better seed", should know better. Also, the rationale that being the higher seed means the odds are lower that you'd clinch at home vs. clinching on the road is, shall we say, "misguided". The higher seeds clinches the title on their home court exactly 50 percent of the time, and this goes for all four professional team sports leagues played within this country.

I do know better, but you completely misunderstood what I said and to what I was responding. The OP said that he couldn't think of the last time a Chicago sports team had an easy win at home to go on to the Championship round.

I said almost every clincher to the finals for the Bulls was on the road. In 1991 the Bulls were the higher seed and swept the Detroit Pistons. Famously the two-time defending champions walked off the court before the game ended...on their home court in Auburn Hills. In 1992 the 67-win Bulls were the higher seed and faced Cleveland; their clincher was in Game 6 in Cleveland (not sure why, guess the round wasn't 2-3-2). In 1993 the Bulls were the lower seed against the Knicks in a great series, and won in 6; the clincher was at Chicago Stadium, but it was a close game. In 1996, the 72-win Bulls swept the Magic, the Game 4 clinching game took place in Orlando. In 1997, the 69-win Bulls topped the Miami Heat in Game 5 at the United Center, winning by 13; I guess this could meet the OP's criteria. In 1998, the Bulls were in a real battle against the Indiana Pacers, the only time they were forced to 7 games in a conference finals (in the Jordan era, anyway); that said, while the game was at the UC it was a low-scoring battle won by just 5 points.

The Blackhawks did clinch the West at home against San Jose in 2010, but their lead in the 3rd period was just 3-2 until an empty netter in the last minute. And the Hawks sweep of Edmonton in 1992 before they faced Super Mario & the Pens was clinched in Canada.

The Bears in 2006 (2007 playoffs) probably fit the OP's criteria, as the NFC title game turned into a blowout in the 4th quarter against the Saints.

And, of course, the White Sox won the AL title in Anaheim in 2005.

So, again, I do know better, but the post to which I was responding, which should have been perfectly clear, had the OP wondering what was the last Chicago team to have a blowout win to clinch their conference title, at least going back to the flurries falling during the Bears shutout victory of the Rams in 1986.

Brian26
10-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Spivack is correct. My point was to ask when the last time a Chicago team won a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did, who basically had a seven inning party on their home field knowing they were going to the World Series which is amazing way to win anything that most of us have never experienced.

Huisj
10-20-2012, 10:49 AM

I think the way the playoffs have gone so far with the Tigers easily killing the Yankees makes that bad feeling about the 2-10 stretch closing out September last that much longer.

palehozenychicty
10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I think the way the playoffs have gone so far with the Tigers easily killing the Yankees makes that bad feeling about the 2-10 stretch closing out September last that much longer.

I can't read it like that because I think the Tigers are built more for the postseason than the regular season. I knew that they'd beat the Yankees, but not in a sweep like that.

Their middle order is deadly with Cabrera and Fielder. Jackson brings speed and contact at the top. They'll be even tougher if Martinez recovers and plays at a high level in '13.

With Verlander and Scherzer at the top throwing aspirin by hitters, you have a problem.

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Spivack is correct. My point was to ask when the last time a Chicago team won a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did, who basically had a seven inning party on their home field knowing they were going to the World Series which is amazing way to win anything that most of us have never experienced.

Yes, indeed, except if you were at the Bears' NFC championship win in 2006(-7). Or any of the Bulls' three championships at home (some close games, but not close series). Or the Bears' NFC championship win in 1985(-6).

I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did." But I don't consider it a big deal that the Tigers did--or think that most Chicago fans have somehow gotten the shaft for not experiencing this.

DSpivack
10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, indeed, except if you were at the Bears' NFC championship win in 2006(-7). Or any of the Bulls' three championships at home (some close games, but not close series). Or the Bears' NFC championship win in 1985(-6).

I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did." But I don't consider it a big deal that the Tigers did--or think that most Chicago fans have somehow gotten the shaft for not experiencing this.

Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same.

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same.

I'm guessing these things even out in the long run. Though I'd understand some Chicago sports fans not forgetting the drought from the early 1960s to the early 1980s . . .

TommyJohn
10-20-2012, 03:08 PM

You know, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS was a seven inning party...

Brian26
10-20-2012, 04:03 PM

None of those Bulls games were blowouts or automatic wins, so I have no idea why you're including them in the discussion, and putting something in parenthesis doesn't make it any more factual.

Whether or not you "consider it a big deal" is irrelevant to the conversation.

Brian26
10-20-2012, 04:04 PM
You know, Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS was a seven inning party...

Good point :thumbsup: :D:

SI1020
10-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Neither do I, I just thought of it as interesting question or anecdote. As a Chicago sports fan, I think I've been pretty spoiled as I have seen all of my teams win titles, except for the Bears; and 8 titles in all. Fans in most cities can't say the same. The period between Dec. 29, 1963 and Jan. 26, 1986 was long and barren. I'm happy for your generation that you got to skip that.

Johnny Mostil
10-21-2012, 01:03 PM
None of those Bulls games were blowouts or automatic wins, so I have no idea why you're including them in the discussion, and putting something in parenthesis doesn't make it any more factual.

Fine, we'll go back to the Bears:rolleyes:.

Whether or not you "consider it a big deal" is irrelevant to the conversation.

But of course! The only thing that matters is that you think it "sucks" Tigers fans had a seven-inning party.

I know this site advertises itself for its pettiness, but I thought that was at least a little tongue-in-cheek. Life's too short to be so bitter about such trivial ****.

Peace out.

Brian26
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Fine, we'll go back to the Bears:rolleyes:.

But of course! The only thing that matters is that you think it "sucks" Tigers fans had a seven-inning party.

I know this site advertises itself for its pettiness, but I thought that was at least a little tongue-in-cheek. Life's too short to be so bitter about such trivial ****.

Peace out.

Its much more important to jump down my throat over a comment that somehow, although factually correct, you deem unworthy of discussion. Don't really care what your angle is, but there's quite a bit more "trivial ****" on the interwebz to whine about than one cherry picked comment about one of the worst AL pennant winners in the last 40 years.

samurai_sox
10-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Anybody else think that having the NLCS go to 7 games can hurt Detroit?

That's a long layover and could cool down the Tigers bats.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Spivak:

The 1992 Eastern Finals were in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

Lip

samurai_sox
10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Game 7, Bears/Lions, Presidential debate, all happening tomorrow night. Good God.

mzh
10-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Anybody else think that having the NLCS go to 7 games can hurt Detroit?

That's a long layover and could cool down the Tigers bats.
I thought this myself. The 2007 Rockies won 21 out of 22 games sneaking into the playoffs and sweeping their way out of the first two rounds. Boston and Cleveland went 7 in the ALCS, and the Rockies had a 9 day layover before the World Series began. We know what happened then.

DSpivack
10-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Spivak:

The 1992 Eastern Finals were in a 2-2-1-1-1 format.

Lip

Thanks!

Game 7, Bears/Lions, Presidential debate, all happening tomorrow night. Good God.

Yeah, I'll watch a replay of the debate, but don't know what to do w/ Bears and baseball!

WhiteSox5187
10-22-2012, 03:01 AM

And I have an LSAT class tomorrow so I might wind up missing all of it.

SephClone89
10-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Two of those events will be talked to death by the media over the next several days.

Watch baseball.

TDog
10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I thought this myself. The 2007 Rockies won 21 out of 22 games sneaking into the playoffs and sweeping their way out of the first two rounds. Boston and Cleveland went 7 in the ALCS, and the Rockies had a 9 day layover before the World Series began. We know what happened then.

The Tigers are aware their 2006 team had a long wait for the Cardinals-Mets seven-game series to end. Many assumed that the Cardinals, who won only 83 games during the regular season, wouldn't do well against the Tigers, not just because they were drained from the NLCS, but because of the belief at the time of the superiority of the American League. The National League hadn't won a World Series game since 2003.

Verlander lost the first game. With his team down 3-1, Verlander lost Game 5. The dynamics of this World Series, though, would be different, if only because Leyland knows what went wrong in 2006. The Tigers are pretty much completely different. Verlander, I believe, is the only pitcher still with the team, and he has matured greatly. Infante may be the only position player, having just returned, and he didn't play a big role in the 2006 World Series. And I don't believe anyone seriously believes the Tigers have an edge simply because the American League is stronger

#1swisher
10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Giants one out away.

Brian26
10-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I assume most fans in most cities don't experience their team winning "a conference/league/world title in blowout fashion like the Tigers did."

Well, we're 2 for 2 this year. I'm not sure how many times in the history of baseball it has occurred, but I cannot imagine a more fun experience than seeing your team win the pennant knowing they've got it wrapped up, at home, since the early innings of the game. That must be an incredible feeling.

thomas35forever
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Cue Russ Hodges.