PDA

View Full Version : New Astros Jerseys

russ99
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Interesting new Astros cap/jersey reveal:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2012/10/05/astros-accidentally-show-new-uniform-cap-on-teaser-graphic

Can't believe someone in an MLB marketing department would just reduce levels in photoshop to hide that.

I absolutely love the new cap.

Whoops - missing thread title - added on Forum Runner.

Mod Edit - Title fixed as of 9pm. :)

DumpJerry
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Ummmm.....the thread title? Secret meaning?

Bucky F. Dent
10-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Like that hat as well!

esbrechtel
10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I still can't get it through my head that they will be an AL team next year....

BleacherBandit
10-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank god they're bringing back those hats. About the only good thing regarding their old uniform set.

Milw
10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
That's the new leader for worst uniform in MLB, in my opinion. Boring AND unattractive, which is a difficult double to do.

SaltyPretzel
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
That's the new leader for worst uniform in MLB, in my opinion. Boring AND unattractive, which is a difficult double to do.

Looks fine to me. Do you like the Marlins new uniform better?

Milw
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Looks fine to me. Do you like the Marlins new uniform better?
I think the Marlins uniform is atrocious, but at least it's interesting. The Marlins unis are ugly but fun; the Astros unis are ugly and boring.

gaelhound
10-13-2012, 12:42 AM
If they come with a "shorts" set I could really dig them.:wink:

johnnyg83
10-21-2012, 10:48 AM

How can you make a judgment on the jersey when you can't see 80% of it?

I love the hat and I'm all for them going back to the orange and blue color scheme (so sick of red). And to honor the jerseys pre-Rainbow stripe is a great idea. Those are beautiful, beautiful jerseys.

Milw
10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
How can you make a judgment on the jersey when you can't see 80% of it?

I love the hat and I'm all for them going back to the orange and blue color scheme (so sick of red). And to honor the jerseys pre-Rainbow stripe is a great idea. Those are beautiful, beautiful jerseys.
80% is a stretch, but I'll concede that it's not completely clear. Nevertheless, I'm going based off the clearly-visible boring nameplate font, the color palette (which is admittedly somewhat obscured but not hard to guess at, given the way the design alludes to past Astros uniforms), and the ugly-ass hat logo.

russ99
10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
80% is a stretch, but I'll concede that it's not completely clear. Nevertheless, I'm going based off the clearly-visible boring nameplate font, the color palette (which is admittedly somewhat obscured but not hard to guess at, given the way the design alludes to past Astros uniforms), and the ugly-ass hat logo.

As an Astros fan since 1978, I love the 20% that's revealed. The Astros had the H-star hat logo for most of their existence, so I'm very happy to see it come back, in a slightly more modern form. I also think it's cool that they're using the orange as an accent color than splashing it all over everything.

If you were expecting bland pinstripes that they're moving away from or something crazy/futuristic which they went too far with in the late 70s, this is a happy medium.

Can't wait to see the rest next Friday.

johnnyg83
10-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Let's call it 78% and move on. :tongue:

For reference, what are your top 5 or so current MLB jerseys? We could just have diametrically different taste.

Milw
10-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Let's call it 78% and move on. :tongue:

For reference, what are your top 5 or so current MLB jerseys? We could just have diametrically different taste.
White Sox alternate
Nationals alternate
Mariners home
Rockies alternate
Diamondbacks road

johnnyg83
10-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I like the Rockies alt but the rest wouldn't make my top half. Viva la difference!

russ99
10-27-2012, 09:21 AM
New Astros "H-Star" logo leaked at a sporting goods store yesterday:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/20698491/new-astros-logo-leaked-by-sporting-goods-store

Very close to the old navy cap logo, with a different font for the "H" and shading added.

Love it, when can I get a new hat?

russ99
11-02-2012, 08:57 PM
The new jerseys are out. Very sharp.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121102&content_id=40157272&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Classic home whites, blue cap. Alternate orange jersey, alternate orange cap and road jersey with two-tone cap (blue hat, orange bill)

Not too fond of the "Astros" jersey lettering, but it is throwback-inspired, clean, and it will probably grow on me. Looks better on the players than in photos. My other annoyance is the Mets-like lettering on the back, and all Astros fans hate the Mets. I do like that the outer ring on the sleeve logo is orange or blue depending on the jersey set.

This warmup jersey with 70's rainbow flanks is especially impressive.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-13780761dt.jpg

WhiteSox5187
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121102&content_id=40157272&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Classic home whites, blue cap. Alternate orange jersey, alternate orange cap and road jersey with two-tone cap (blue hat, orange bill)

Not too fond of the "Astros" jersey lettering, but it is throwback-inspired, clean, and it will probably grow on me. Looks better on the players than in photos. My other annoyance is the Mets-like lettering on the back, and all Astros fans hate the Mets. I do like that the outer ring on the sleeve logo is orange or blue depending on the jersey set.

It's an improvement over what they had but I wish they went with the blue hat like they wore in their original uniform rather than the orange uniform they wore in the late 1960s, early 1970s.

Medford Bobby
11-03-2012, 09:25 AM
We will no longer see a White Sox/Astros World Series in our life time.....:D:

guillen4life13
11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Like it a lot!

BleacherBandit
11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
These new uniforms look really sharp. I dig it.

Again, the previous duds were bland. These new ones are simple, but are clean; they convey images of past Astros in a constructive manner.

FielderJones
11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
We will no longer see a White Sox/Astros World Series in our life time.....:D:

Never say never. There was a time we would never see a White Sox/Brewers World Series.

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2012, 01:14 AM
We will no longer see a White Sox/Astros World Series in our life time.....:D:Until the next time Bud decides to put his stamp on MLB.

Red Barchetta
11-04-2012, 10:26 AM

I like it. Combined with the changes the Blue Jays, Orioles, and Mets made in 2012, I like that teams are embracing their heritage and finally moving away from the black alternates/trim. IMO, the SOX are the only team that really gets away with the black alternate/trim due to their color scheme.

For awhile there it was really bad. The A's, Blue Jays, Marlins, Mets, Rockies, Giants, etc. were all wearing black alternates. In contrast, I love the new A's gold alternate and the Blue Jays blue alternate.

johnnyg83
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I love the hats and the color scheme. That Navy jersey is decent as it shows some creativity, but the home, away and orange alternate all seem like missed opportunities to me.

I would have loved the http://www.google.com/imgres?q=astros+jerseys+shooting+stars&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1600&bih=781&tbm=isch&tbnid=C92qnLEgmG6JDM:&imgrefurl=http://leftfielduniforms.com/houston-astros-shooting-star-jersey/&docid=eEt3QWJ5T5Ej4M&imgurl=http://leftfielduniforms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/HoustonAstrosStars1.jpeg&w=547&h=410&ei=3AGXUOmuMeTF2QXxwYC4Aw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=226&sig=106158048126929676278&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=180&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:71&tx=132&ty=24 shooting star incorporated somewhere.

russ99
11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Until the next time Bud decides to put his stamp on MLB.

Or until the next commissioner moves the Astros back into the NL where they belong.

thehawkeroo
11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I love the hats.

mantis1212
11-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Until the next time Bud decides to put his stamp on MLB.

Or until he abolishes the leagues and makes eastern and western conferences :o:

russ99
11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Or until he abolishes the leagues and makes eastern and western conferences :o:

Even better. Real realignment needs to happen at some point. Maybe they're waiting until Oakland and Tampa gets their stadium situations settled.

hdog1017
11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Houston needs to find a lot of better baseball players to play in those new uniforms. They could lose 110 games next year.

russ99
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Houston needs to find a lot of better baseball players to play in those new uniforms. They could lose 110 games next year.

GM Jeff Luhnow is in housecleaning mode to clear out deadweight on the 40 man roster and keep some of their better prospects off the available Rule 5 draft list. They're currently under $40M in total payroll.

Once that's over, I expect a few low risk additions to fill the vacant spots in the outfield, a inning-eating starter and a few bullpen arms, not to mention a better bat for DH, possibly Lance Berkman.

Also, there's talk that Jarred Cosart and Jonathan Singleton (their two best prospects) could grab a job in spring, with George Springer and some of other the pitchers grabbed in the Bourn and Pence deals not far behind.

100 losses are certainly possible next year, but I'm thinking they'll be in the mid 90s.

skobabe8
11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank god we don't completely overhaul our uniforms every 5-10 years anymore.

FielderJones
11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Thank god we don't completely overhaul our uniforms every 5-10 years anymore.

The loss of the diamond sock on the grays was bad enough.

Tragg
11-08-2012, 09:43 AM
GM Jeff Luhnow is in housecleaning mode to clear out deadweight on the 40 man roster and keep some of their better prospects off the available Rule 5 draft list. They're currently under $40M in total payroll.

Once that's over, I expect a few low risk additions to fill the vacant spots in the outfield, a inning-eating starter and a few bullpen arms, not to mention a better bat for DH, possibly Lance Berkman.

Also, there's talk that Jarred Cosart and Jonathan Singleton (their two best prospects) could grab a job in spring, with George Springer and some of other the pitchers grabbed in the Bourn and Pence deals not far behind.

100 losses are certainly possible next year, but I'm thinking they'll be in the mid 90s.

They need more starting pitching than a single innings-eater. Now they may be willing to just suck it up for another year and lose 90+ - that seems to be the vogue with "smart" organizations (although their GM came out of the Jockety line, I believe, which really doesn't sanction 90+ loss seasons as a good thing in rebuilding).
I don't see how they can have quality prospects up for Rule 5 considering how bad they've been. Surely they've managed the 40 man better than that.

russ99
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
They need more starting pitching than a single innings-eater. Now they may be willing to just suck it up for another year and lose 90+ - that seems to be the vogue with "smart" organizations (although their GM came out of the Jockety line, I believe, which really doesn't sanction 90+ loss seasons as a good thing in rebuilding).
I don't see how they can have quality prospects up for Rule 5 considering how bad they've been. Surely they've managed the 40 man better than that.

The 40-man shifting is because they added a ton of guys to the system through big league deals last year and they dumped guys like Schaefer and Bogusevic who weren't in the plans moving forward.

That probably will be less important the next few years as players start to establish themselves.

As for the pitching, they have Harrell, Norris and Lyles penciled in the rotation. All of which are low-rotation guys on a good team, but there's some ceiling left in the last two. With top prospect Cosart and Wojciechowski or Oberholtzer competing for a rotation spot, only one veteran guy would be needed for a 90+ loss rebuilding team.