PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone back in 2013

MARTINMVP
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
The following was tweeted by @mullyhanley about 15 minutes ago:

Steve Stone just told us he will for sure be back with #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23WhiteSox) next season. He hopes to finish this contract & future contracts w/#Sox (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Sox)

https://twitter.com/mullyhanley/status/255662663118491648

Procol Harum
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Good news--I enjoy his baseball acumen.

dwitt76
10-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Welcome back stone pony :redneck

SephClone89
10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Great. Can we get rid of Hawk, then?

MARTINMVP
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Great. Can we get rid of Hawk, then?

I'm relieved Stone will be back. Just wish Hawk would go, or move to radio, or maybe just do home games and hire a competent broadcaster to do road games with Stone.

BainesHOF
10-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Great, more tension-filled, awkward broadcasts for 2013! This is bad news. It's yet another example why the marketing department needs a housecleaning.

cub killer
10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Good. Now hopefully he will stand up to Hawk and put him in his place. Stoney shouldn't be afraid to tell Hawk "Snappa out of it!" when Hawk sulks. Cher style.

Golden Sox
10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm not surprised one bit Stone is coming back. Nobody likes to talk this way but both Stone and Hawk are considered old timers in the broadcasting booth. Both of them will finish their broadcasting careers with the White Sox. I have no doubt in my mind that no other team will hire either of them because of their ages. Most teams will be looking for younger announcers to do their games.

Noneck
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not surprised one bit Stone is coming back. Nobody likes to talk this way but both Stone and Hawk are considered old timers in the broadcasting booth. Both of them will finish their broadcasting careers with the White Sox. I have no doubt in my mind that no other team will hire either of them because of their ages. Most teams will be looking for younger announcers to do their games.

I agree , Stone is 65, no one is looking to hire someone his age.

SOXSINCE'70
10-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Grateful Steve Stone is coming back.Now if only Hawk would actually shut the **** up and let him talk! Good luck with that pipedream.:(:

Risk
10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Excellent news.

Risk

MUsoxfan
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
It's good news. It would be better news if they gave him someone better to play off of.

Just have Hawk surf skyboxes to shake hands

dwalteroo
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Excellent news that Stone is back. I hope they find a way to make the tension between him and Hawk a bit less apparent. They are both excellent broadcasters in their own ways.

DumpJerry
10-09-2012, 10:35 AM
He needs to start yapping about HOF players with whom he was teammates. Maybe that will push Hawk over the edge.......("Eddie Murray would always tell me....")

dickallen15
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
He needs to start yapping about HOF players with whom he was teammates. Maybe that will push Hawk over the edge.......("Eddie Murray would always tell me....")

Stone mentions Eddie and Earl and the Orioles quite often

Milw
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Grateful Steve Stone is coming back.Now if only Hawk would actually shut the **** up and let him talk! Good luck with that pipedream.:(:
Hawk goes silent for literally innings at a time. How much quieter would you like him to be? :scratch:

doogiec
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
If they do retain Hawk (and I hope they don't), I think it would be a good idea to return to what baseball broadcasts used to do in the past- have the TV announcers call innings 1-3 and 7-9, and switch with the radio announcers for the middle innings.

It gives the fans a different perspective on the game. Announcers don't need as much material, as they can repeat the same thing on the radio that they said earlier on TV if needed. The don't need as much BS to pad the broadcast.

Part of the grating nature of Hawk is the constant repetition, not just of cliches, but of certain situations. If an umpire blows a call in the first inning, we get to hear "In case you're just tuning in and missed it...." about the same damn call four or five more times in the game. Hawk might be more tolerable in one hour increments. And since Farmer seems opposed to giving the score and game situation on a regular basis, he just might be better on TV.

hawkjt
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I heard Stone's interview on M & H.

He made it clear that he is returning,as is Hawk.
He also admitted that the broadcasts are ever-evolving and improvement is always a priority.
He made it clear that he feels that Hawk and him have to work better together,but sounded like he was confident that it can be done.

He knows that the last couple of weeks of telecasts were horrible,and I am sure that he feels it was mainly Hawk's fault. He is correct.

Hawk needs to have a come to Jesus moment with the Chairman and Stone. It is a two way street,tho,and Stone is far from blameless in this issue.

I am surprised that the duo will return intact,but it is far less important than the performance on the field...just win,Sox,and the rest is window dressing.

LITTLE NELL
10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I like Hawk but there has to be better communication between him and Stone. These periods of silence have to stop. I'm a little surprised that Stone is returning so I'm thinking that JR read the riot act to them.

LoveYourSuit
10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
When I had STs in the club level, I recall the PBP sound in the concourse was from the radio broadcast and TVs kept silent.

Farmer is not that bad doing PBP if you have image to look at (TV).

Swap Hawk for Farmer, give that a try.

Hawk might draw ratings on the radio too.

thomas35forever
10-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Great. He really makes the broadcasts more enjoyable. Hope the Sox can hold onto him for as long as possible.

Goose
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I heard Stone's interview on M & H.

He made it clear that he is returning,as is Hawk.
He also admitted that the broadcasts are ever-evolving and improvement is always a priority.
He made it clear that he feels that Hawk and him have to work better together,but sounded like he was confident that it can be done.

He knows that the last couple of weeks of telecasts were horrible,and I am sure that he feels it was mainly Hawk's fault. He is correct.

Hawk needs to have a come to Jesus moment with the Chairman and Stone. It is a two way street,tho,and Stone is far from blameless in this issue.

I am surprised that the duo will return intact,but it is far less important than the performance on the field...just win,Sox,and the rest is window dressing.

Hawk hasn't improved in YEARS. In fact, he has done the opposite in the last few years. he has no desire, in my opinion, to improve the broadcast. He goes in and does the same tired shtick as he always does. I think that is why Stone is so pissed! Hawk does not try and he is certainly not a professional.

Hawk sucks balls. Stone knows it. No one but JR can do anything about it.

jdm2662
10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Awww, too bad for the ol Hawk. He won't get his yes man in the booth...

slavko
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
When I had STs in the club level, I recall the PBP sound in the concourse was from the radio broadcast and TVs kept silent.

Farmer is not that bad doing PBP if you have image to look at (TV).

Farmer does close to a TV call, so you're right on target there. I admit I'm surprised he's returning. Not as surprised as I was when Wimpy started subbing, but surprised.

WhiteSox5187
10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
This is good news because it means that out of the four broadcasters the White Sox have hired they will have at least one professional. I thought that earlier in 2012 Hawk and Stone sounded great, but then came September and the quality of the broadcasts dropped dramatically.

SI1020
10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree , Stone is 65, no one is looking to hire someone his age. Thanks, and I'm not even 65 yet.

shingo10
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Very disappointing news.

Oh well, I'll look forward to the few series a year he will miss so that Wimpy can fill in and then I can actually enjoy the broadcast.

shingo10
10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Awww, too bad for the ol Hawk. He won't get his yes man in the booth...

If Hawk didn't want Stone back, he wouldn't have been back. There's a reason the broadcast level is named after him....

Tragg
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I like it.
Could work.

jdm2662
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I like it.
Could work.

It did work. The 2008 radio broadcast was actually pretty good. I turned down the volume on the TV many times that season.

SoxFan1979
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
The following was tweeted by @mullyhanley about 15 minutes ago:

Steve Stone just told us he will for sure be back with #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23WhiteSox) next season. He hopes to finish this contract & future contracts w/#Sox (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Sox)

https://twitter.com/mullyhanley/status/255662663118491648

Great news! Steve Stone belongs in Chicago

kba
10-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Hawk on radio would be brutal. If you think the long silences are bad on television, how's that going to work when there are no pictures?

SoxandtheCityTee
10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Good God, if people can't bear the "tension" of Hawk and Stoney disagreeing now and then, how do they go through life? There's more tension in your average commute, or meeting at work. To say nothing of the tension caused by what's happening on the field.

Tragg
10-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Hawk on radio would be brutal. If you think the long silences are bad on television, how's that going to work when there are no pictures?

It will force him to stop doing it...maybe.

CoopaLoop
10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Anyone listen to the interview, I heard he took a pretty big shot at Hawk, but I haven't listened to it yet.

rainbow6
10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I guess I'll be the first to defend the "minimalist" approach that Hawk takes. My feeling has always been that he doesn't talk down to Sox fans and doesn't need to run his goddamn mouth non-stop for nine innings like most announcers.

Watching a game with Hawk announcing always seems like a fan is by your side and I wouldn't want it any other way.

For those who need an announcer to spoon-feed you Baseball 101 (Bob Brenly) like the vast majority of current PBP men will, more power to you.

Brian26
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I like Hawk but there has to be better communication between him and Stone. These periods of silence have to stop. I'm a little surprised that Stone is returning so I'm thinking that JR read the riot act to them.

Bingo.

One of two things happened over the weekend. Either...

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.

I lean towards choice b.

All that said, I listened to the Cardinals broadcast a bit on the radio yesterday on my way home. I never realized how bad Mike Shannon is. He makes all of the Sox broadcasters sound competent, and that's quite the feat.

SephClone89
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
All that said, I listened to the Cardinals broadcast a bit on the radio yesterday on my way home. I never realized how bad Mike Shannon is. He makes all of the Sox broadcasters sound competent, and that's quite the feat.

He's bad. Sad that Rooney is stifled in that environment.

BainesHOF
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Bingo.

a.) Stone Poney's agent got word back from the D-Backs that they're not interested, or...

b.) Reinsdorf sat down with Stone and told him to get his crap together because he's not letting him out of the contract.

I'm going with A. I think Stone may have assumed he'd be in demand, but obviously he didn't receive any offers because I don't think he'd be returning if he did. Of course, maybe B happened, too.

RCWHITESOX
10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Great news! Now if Hawk would just retire; and we could bring in a fresh play by play announcer.

slavko
10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Bingo.

I lean towards choice b.

I was going to say you're wrong, but B. is a possibility since he once did it to Rooney. But Stone has an option Rooney didn't: Sit out, because he doesn't need the money. If B. is correct, then it takes A. out of play because JR didn't let Rooney move, once upon a time. It's all in an old thread on this site.

Hey, if he could get Ozzie and Kenny to work together (note that I didn't say successfully) when they were at each other's throats, this is a walk in the park. He likely did it tactfully rather than read the riot act. I suspect he has a clue about how to run a business.

Milw
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I imagine if we did a poll (I know I could start one, but I won't) on which of the four Sox broadcasters you like the least, there wouldn't be a clear consensus... because every one of them is really unpopular with a large group of fans. That's remarkable, and I wonder if there's another team where all of the announcers are hated equally.

shingo10
10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I imagine if we did a poll (I know I could start one, but I won't) on which of the four Sox broadcasters you like the least, there wouldn't be a clear consensus... because every one of them is really unpopular with a large group of fans. That's remarkable, and I wonder if there's another team where all of the announcers are hated equally.

Unfortunately, it might say more about us being an almost impossible to please fanbase than the quality of the announcers...I'm pretty sure that if we had 4 "normal" announcers they would be just as hated.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
People need to get XM and listen to other radio announcers, and MLB.tv and listen to other TV announcers. I think they'd be very hard pressed to find one that would meet everyone's expectations.

SephClone89
10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
People need to get XM and listen to other radio announcers, and MLB.tv and listen to other TV announcers. I think they'd be very hard pressed to find one that would meet everyone's expectations.

I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.

hdog1017
10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I guess I'll be the first to defend the "minimalist" approach that Hawk takes. My feeling has always been that he doesn't talk down to Sox fans and doesn't need to run his goddamn mouth non-stop for nine innings like most announcers.

Watching a game with Hawk announcing always seems like a fan is by your side and I wouldn't want it any other way.

For those who need an announcer to spoon-feed you Baseball 101 (Bob Brenly) like the vast majority of current PBP men will, more power to you.

I'm a big Hawk fan myself. He entertains me, win or loss. For me personally, I don't need someone who is too basebally.

TomBradley72
10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.

I've NEVER heard a radio team as bad and annoying at DJ and Farmer- I've loved listening to baseball on the radio since I was little lid sneaking the radio under my pillow for late night west coast games.

Now- I'll only listen to them to get a score- and even that is a challenge with those 2-

Rocky Soprano
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I've NEVER heard a radio team as bad and annoying at DJ and Farmer- I've loved listening to baseball on the radio since I was little lid sneaking the radio under my pillow for late night west coast games.

Now- I'll only listen to them to get a score- and even that is a challenge with those 2-

I completely agree. I hate listening to them, especially when DJ does the play by play for an inning or two. He is just horrible.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.It's all a matter of taste. I find most of the so-called "professional" announcers incredibly bland and boring. I'll stipulate that I haven't listened to Farmer and DJ for more than a handful of innings the last couple of years; just if I'm in the car and have to use XM. If I'm home, I'm watching the game.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
So that entire thread bitching about how Stone was being driven out because he can't stand Hawk anymore, complete with reports about Bernstein having sources saying it's definitely true (even though Stone has said the whole time he would be back) was just a waste of pixels?

Good to know; not a surprise.

Nellie_Fox
10-10-2012, 04:14 PM
So that entire thread bitching about how Stone was being driven out because he can't stand Hawk anymore, complete with reports about Bernstein having sources saying it's definitely true (even though Stone has said the whole time he would be back) was just a waste of pixels?

Good to know; not a surprise.Any and all speculation immediately becomes undisputed fact on the internet.

Aesero
10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Any and all speculation immediately becomes undisputed fact on the internet.

I have a friend at the score that told me that Stone was going to leave.

SOXSINCE'70
10-10-2012, 06:50 PM

I completely agree. I hate listening to them, especially when DJ does the play by play for an inning or two. He is just horrible.

I agree with you both.Farmer can be a good analyst at times,but DJ....yeesh!! I appreciate John Rooney and his Columbia School of Broadcasting voice more and more every day.And Bradley72,you're right about trying to get a ballgame score out of DJ and Farmer.Any night I worked late this summer,i'd drive home listening to the game screaming 'What's the ****ing score already?!?!" at my radio.

Tragg
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
i've heard many of them. Very few are as all-around bad as our crews.

+1

10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Put Hawk with Farmer. Bring back Singleton to work with Stone and give DJ the boot!:gulp:

SI1020
10-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Put Hawk with Farmer. Bring back Singleton to work with Stone and give DJ the boot!:gulp: Chris Singleton was the worst baseball announcer I ever heard. The absolute worst. Like I posted in the long ago, he was a favorite of mine when he played for the Sox, and I'm glad he landed on his feet in a network gig he was much more suited for.

10-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Chris Singleton was the worst baseball announcer I ever heard. The absolute worst. Like I posted in the long ago, he was a favorite of mine when he played for the Sox, and I'm glad he landed on his feet in a network gig he was much more suited for.

I think he has vastly improved since he started with the Sox. He does a good job with his network gig.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Waste of time to argue matters of taste, but listening to the playoffs, you do sometimes sense that the announcers think that bunches of people are watching who are not regular baseball viewers, and then they aim their remarks to them. I find myself saying, Will you please shut up? much more often than I do with any set of Sox announcers.

PalehosePlanet
10-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I think he has vastly improved since he started with the Sox. He does a good job with his network gig.

Studio analysis is a different animal than play-by-play. Chris was simply the worst play-by-play announcer I've ever heard. And, mind you, I had the misfortune of listening to Early Wynn do PBP.

harwar
10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Bingo.

I lean towards choice b.

Yea, i was thinking the same exact thing .. with the way that Stone signed off for the season, it sure sounded like he was at least lighting the match to burn his bridges .. also, i doubt that JR has any patience at this time,for broadcasters whining about their problems in the booth .. i'm wondering if the words, 'You guys will cease fire and do your ****ing job" might have been used .. i said a few days ago in here that i think Hawk and Stone need couples counseling .. i was joking at the time, but it wouldn't hurt if they could be forced to go .. as for the radio side of things, i listen to both the tv and radio broadcast of almost every game and i'm quite possibly the only one here that enjoys Farmer and DJ ..

shingo10
10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Yea, i was thinking the same exact thing .. with the way that Stone signed off for the season, it sure sounded like he was at least lighting the match to burn his bridges .. also, i doubt that JR has any patience at this time,for broadcasters whining about their problems in the booth .. i'm wondering if the words, 'You guys will cease fire and do your ****ing job" might have been used .. i said a few days ago in here that i think Hawk and Stone need couples counseling .. i was joking at the time, but it wouldn't hurt if they could be forced to go .. as for the radio side of things, i listen to both the tv and radio broadcast of almost every game and i'm quite possibly the only one here that enjoys Farmer and DJ ..

I'm with you. I think they have great chemistry and they both have a ton of insight. Also when the games are taking forever they fill the time with entertainment. It's all about personal preference. Like I said before the majority of people would be upset no matter who was announcing. Just the way of the world.

Mr. Jinx
10-11-2012, 09:47 PM

I was about to say you are the only one, but it looks like there's two of you out there.

Milw
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
My biggest beef with Farmer and DJ is when I turn on the game in progress, it can take literally several innings until I know what the score is. A good radio announcer gives a game reset every 5-7 minutes or so. At the very least, the score should be given at the start and end of every half-inning. Not so for these amateurs.

I'm really tired of turning on the Score, only to scream at my radio, "I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL IN CALIFORNIA, TELL ME THE ****ING SCORE OF THE GAME YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOUNCING!"

shingo10
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
I know Farmer and DJ always get a bad rap but let's not forget how it was when Aaron Rowand was there for a few games...

Konerko05
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm with you. I think they have great chemistry and they both have a ton of insight. Also when the games are taking forever they fill the time with entertainment. It's all about personal preference. Like I said before the majority of people would be upset no matter who was announcing. Just the way of the world.

That makes three of us. I guess I usually already know what is the score is because I'll either have my phone on espn or mlb gamecast. So I find them entertaining and humorous.

LongLiveFisk
10-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I agree with getting frustrated while waiting to get the score on the radio broadcasts. I don't expect them to say it every five seconds, but once in a while would be nice. They forget that a) some people may have actually just tuned in; and b) this is not like TV where the score is looking you right in the face constantly.

soxfanreggie
10-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I have always enjoyed Steve's broadcasting. I hope he's with us for a while!

FielderJones
10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
That makes three of us. I guess I usually already know what is the score is because I'll either have my phone on espn or mlb gamecast. So I find them entertaining and humorous.

If I'm listening on the radio I'm in my car. So even if I had a smart phone, I'm looking through the windshield and maintaining situational awareness, not down at a phone. I want the score on a more regular basis.

Konerko05
10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
If I'm listening on the radio I'm in my car. So even if I had a smart phone, I'm looking through the windshield and maintaining situational awareness, not down at a phone. I want the score on a more regular basis.

If you check the score before you start driving, it is not very difficult to follow along.

I'm not making excuses of them, nor am I saying everyone should do this.

I am just saying that is why I probably never noticed this being an issue.