PDA

View Full Version : Scouting report on Felix Diaz

Daver
07-28-2002, 07:22 PM
From Baseball America,

5. Felix Diaz, rhp

Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 177. Signed: Dominican Republic, 1998. Signed by: Giants Dominican program.

Background: The Giants have redoubled their Latin American efforts the last four years, and Diaz is the crown jewel of their work. He missed 21Ž2 months with a tender arm as a precaution in 2001, his first full season, but came back with a dominant effort in the Arizona Fall League.

Strengths: Diaz’ fastball regularly reaches 95-96 mph, and he showed good command of it before his temporary layoff. Diaz throws three complementary pitches for strikes: a hard slider in the mid-80s, a plus changeup with good sink and a decent curveball. All his pitches have life down in the zone. Diaz has become more consistent and slower with his delivery, leading to better command of his changeup and curve. He takes his craft seriously.

Weaknesses: The Giants want to be careful with Diaz. He could use more pro innings but also must show his small frame can hold up under a heavier workload. Sometimes he’s too hard on himself, though that has improved with maturity.

The Future: Diaz’ power potential is exciting. He’s the latest slight Dominican with an electric arm to earn comparisons to Pedro Martinez. He’ll pitch in high Class A this year.

2001 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H BB SO
Hagerstown (A) 1 4 3.66 15 12 0 0 52 49 16 56

Chisox_cali
07-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Man that does not sound to bad at all. Assuming his Arm doesn't fall off. I can't beleive KW got this guy for Lofton. I hope the Sox can do some good work with him. Where does he go with the Sox System AA? A?

Daver
07-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Man that does not sound to bad at all. Assuming his Arm doesn't fall off. I can't beleive KW got this guy for Lofton. I hope the Sox can do some good work with him. Where does he go with the Sox System AA? A?

My guess would be Birmingham.

delben91
07-28-2002, 07:36 PM

Sounds like he's birmingham bound in my admittedly unknowledgable opinion.

Chisox_cali
07-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Well that's two for the Barons. I guess that would make the most sense. I guess he'll move his way into the Baron rotation with Malone and the rest.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by daver
From Baseball America,

2001 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H BB SO
Hagerstown (A) 1 4 3.66 15 12 0 0 52 49 16 56

That's a nice SO/Walk ratio. Maybe we have something here.

Daver
07-28-2002, 07:44 PM
Well that's two for the Barons. I guess that would make the most sense. I guess he'll move his way into the Baron rotation with Malone and the rest.

Ryan Meaux will probably go to Winston Salem.