PDA

View Full Version : Orioles @ Rangers WC Play-In Game Thread

voodoochile
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I still can't believe the Rangers let the A's pass them the final week of the season. That might come back to haunt them.

10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Yu will dominate! Go Rangers!

johnnyg83
10-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Joe Saunders? Ouch.

SoxSpeed22
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
The O's have beaten impossible odds all year, and they will do so again today, even if the pitching matchup looks bad for them.

soxnut1018
10-05-2012, 03:17 PM
The Wild Card Play-In is essentially a coin-flip, but I'll give the Rangers a slight edge.

WhiteSox5187
10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
My head says Texas but Baltimore has had such an improbable run of late, I wouldn't be stunned in the least if they somehow pulled this off.

VenturaFan23
10-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm rooting for the team that will hopefully knock the Yankees out in the ALDS.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I want the O's to win, but not feeling good about Saunders starting.

SOXSINCE'70
10-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Going with the O's in this one,despite my Showalter hatred.
The Rangers better score early and often.If they allow the Birds to stick around too long,they will regret it.
And if the game goes to extra innings,forget it.After starting the season 0-2 in extras,the O's rallied to a 16-0
record in that situation,IIRC.

SOXSINCE'70
10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Joe Saunders? Ouch.

Hey,we beat him! :D:

SOXSINCE'70
10-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Yu will dominate!

Yu will go home.So will the Rangers,IMO.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
The Rangers are better, but seem to be cold right now. All of those games may have caught up to them.

I feel like the Birds are so hot right now. If they get an early lead, it's over.

FielderJones
10-05-2012, 09:28 PM
After starting the season 0-2 in extras,the O's rallied to a 16-0 record in that situation,IIRC.

:scratch: How did they drop those two extra innings losses off their record?

JB98
10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Texas is letting Baltimore hang around in this game.

Saracen
10-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Texas offense has been non-existent for weeks.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Saunders definitely came through. Up to the bullpen now. Come on O's, knock the Bills out of the playoffs early this year.

amsteel
10-05-2012, 11:21 PM
"The Orioles haven't been to the playoffs since 1997". Sorry MLB, even the announcers aren't buying into these games as the actual playoffs.

amsteel
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Rangers fans booing Hamilton? Nice.

They're just pissed a Rangers game is getting in the way of high school football.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Rangers just look out of gas.

Saracen
10-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Rangers fans booing Hamilton? Nice.

They're just pissed a Rangers game is getting in the way of high school football.

They're pissed that he's an absolute head case and the entire town is ready for him to be out of here.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't understand why they didn't PR for Thome. I wonder if a faster runner would have scored on Andino's double.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
They're pissed that he's an absolute head case and the entire town is ready for him to be out of here.

It seems like this year, it finally caught up to them. He's so volatile, and his production is so streaky that I wonder if the Sox could get him on the cheap.

happydude
It will be an interesting offseason in Texas if the Rangers can't come back against Johnson. They played mediocre ball the entire second half en route to blowing that 13 game lead and are on the verge of being unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs in what amounts to a "play in" game at home.

Hamilton seems to be on the outs with the fans and maybe the organization, as well. Is there any chance they pay him? Ron Washington will definitely be in some crosshairs, also, given the poor second half. Do the Rangers get in the Terry Francona sweepstakes?

DSpivack
It seems like this year, it finally caught up to them. He's so volatile, and his production is so streaky that I wonder if the Sox could get him on the cheap.

Nothing about him this offseason is going to be cheap.

SoxSpeed22
10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Well that should do it.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
It will be an interesting offseason in Texas if the Rangers can't come back against Johnson. They played mediocre ball the entire second half en route to blowing that 13 game lead and are on the verge of being unceremoniously dumped out of the playoffs in what amounts to a "play in" game at home.

Hamilton seems to be on the outs with the fans and maybe the organization, as well. Is there any chance they pay him? Ron Washington will definitely be in some crosshairs, also, given the poor second half. Do the Rangers get in the Terry Francona sweepstakes?

Hamilton and Washington will be gone. I would be worried if I was Mike Adams, or if I was a scout named Jefferson.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Nothing about him this offseason is going to be cheap.

No. He could be the most intriguing risk in such a long, long time on the market.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
No. He could be the most intriguing risk in such a long, long time on the market.

I would be just as worried about his physical health than his mental health or inconsistency. Not worth it if he can't stay on the field.

Saracen
10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
It's really hard to deal with a guy with so much innate talent who is just living in his own universe. Blurred vision due to much caffeine, Copenhagen withdrawal, lackadaisical play, needing the organization to watch over him any time he goes out, God telling him which contract to sign. I think he's just way too high risk to ever be dependable.

Wash will be an interesting case. He gets a lot out of the players as players, but he doesn't put those players in good situations to win.

I really think this game was lost in Game 6 last year - they still haven't recovered.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:49 PM
You just can't be any market and throw money at this guy.

happydude
10-05-2012, 11:51 PM
It's really hard to deal with a guy with so much innate talent who is just living in his own universe. Blurred vision due to much caffeine, Copenhagen withdrawal, lackadaisical play, needing the organization to watch over him any time he goes out, God telling him which contract to sign. I think he's just way too high risk to ever be dependable.

Wash will be an interesting case. He gets a lot out of the players as players, but he doesn't put those players in good situations to win.

I really think this game was lost in Game 6 last year - they still haven't recovered.

Hell, I still can't believe Cruz couldn't get back and corral that rocket, myself, and I'm not really even a fan (I did pull hard for them last year, though; I detest the Cardinals).

amsteel
10-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Its OK Rangers, you'll always have Lil Ron Washington.

http://cheesesteakswithbarkley.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/lil-ron-washington.jpg

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Indeed. Their time was last year. They were arguably better than the Giants too.

Wash is a solid manager of people, but his strategy is always off.

It has to be hard as a franchise on the move to be one strike away twice and not get it done.

Their time may come later with a different staff. A lot of talent and money in that franchise.

happydude
10-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Man that kid LOOKS like he's only 19, too...

amsteel
10-05-2012, 11:59 PM

In general it would seem his story is inspirational when he's playing well, a reason to look down upon him when he's playing poorly.

Soxman219
10-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Camden Yards is going to be ROCKING on Sunday.

MUsoxfan
10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Craig Sager needs to disappear from television

DSpivack
10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Indeed. Their time was last year. They were arguably better than the Giants too.

Wash is a solid manager of people, but his strategy is always off.

It has to be hard as a franchise on the move to be one strike away twice and not get it done.

Their time may come later with a different staff. A lot of talent and money in that franchise.

They should have plenty of money to spend in the next two offseasons, as well.

DSpivack
10-06-2012, 12:04 AM

That ought to be fun.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
That ought to be fun.

An old co-worker, born and raised in Bmore, can barely think right now. He's hitting Game 2.

Zakath
10-06-2012, 12:12 AM
And so finishes a REALLY bad week in Texas.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
It's not a realistic scenario at all, but hypothetically, I think Ventura's calm intensity and Herm Schneider's expertise would benefit Hamilton. Also, if I were Hamilton's friend, knowing that his troubles with the Rangers got magnified as the team attracted more media attention, I might try to steer him toward a team like the Sox for the following reasons:

1. The Sox are second fiddle to the Cubs in a football-first town, and therefore don't get a ton of media coverage;

2. Chicago isn't as overtly evangelical as Texas or even other Midwestern markets, meaning a big part of the fan base in Chicago won't be putting added pressure on you to be a religious role model (no one in Chicago will judge you if you have a few beers);

3. Avoid the overly negative fans and sports media in Boston, Philly and New York;

4. Stay away from the permissive drug culture prevalent on the West Coast.

Soxman219
10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
It's not a realistic scenario at all, but hypothetically, I think Ventura's calm intensity and Herm Schneider's expertise would benefit Hamilton. Also, if I were Hamilton's friend, knowing that his troubles with the Rangers got magnified as the team attracted more media attention, I might try to steer him toward a team like the Sox for the following reasons:

1. The Sox are second fiddle to the Cubs in a football-first town, and therefore don't get a ton of media coverage;

2. Chicago isn't as overtly evangelical as Texas or even other Midwestern markets, meaning a big part of the fan base in Chicago won't be putting added pressure on you to be a religious role model (no one in Chicago will judge you if you have a few beers);

3. Avoid the overly negative fans and sports media in Boston, Philly and New York;

Chicago has a vibrant night-life. I'm positive he would relapse here.

amsteel
10-06-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm pretty sure you can get drugs anywhere if you really want them. The Sox just got rid of Guillen's kids. We don't need another member of the organization that needs a babysitter.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2012, 12:51 AM

The difference is that no one would care unless and until it affected his performance on the field, and he could get help without having to explain it to the megachurch crowd.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get drugs anywhere if you really want them. The Sox just got rid of Guillen's kids. We don't need another member of the organization that needs a babysitter.

I'm not even advocating signing him. I'm just explaining arguments why Hamilton might want to look at a market like Chicago.

doublem23
10-06-2012, 01:11 AM
The difference is that no one would care unless and until it affected his performance on the field, and he could get help without having to explain it to the megachurch crowd.

Uh.... The guy is an ALCOHOLIC... People will care.

doublem23
10-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Chicago is maybe the heroin capital of the country and is a MAJOR drug market. You think all these gangbangers are here because they like the weather?

thomas35forever
10-06-2012, 02:14 AM
What a choke job by the Rangers. How they respond to this will be very interesting.

Hendu
10-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Good job O's. A couple years ago I was pulling for the Rangers (until they got to the World Series), but now I'm developing a schadenfreude in watching them blow it. Screw Texas.

cub killer
10-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Up next for the O's...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4f9yf3CEAAqQog.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Chicago is maybe the heroin capital of the country and is a MAJOR drug market. You think all these gangbangers are here because they like the weather?

I think Dallas-Fort Worth might give Chicago a run for the title of heroin capital. Our megachurches are filled with addicts in various stages of recovery.

Since drugs are everywhere, maybe he should just give up and go live a monastic life in Tibet.

Opportunities for relapse are everywhere. He needs to go somewhere low key, but not in the Bible Belt, where a sizable chunk of fans expect him to ostentatiously display his faith.

harwar
10-06-2012, 09:08 AM

So will i (or at least as close to "ROCKING" as i can get now) .. lived for years in ocean city and followed the O's then .. it's great to have a series that i can really get excited about since even now, i kind of follow the Orioles anyway and there are few sports teams anywhere,that i dislike as much as the yankees .. i believe it's going to be a great series ..

hawkjt
10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I am hoping for an O's vs A's ALCS....underdogs rule!!

I think an A's vs Giants world series would be cool. Stoners vs the cool kids!

Happy for Thome,tho. I love how he went down the third baseline for a single....take note Adam Dunn.

amsteel
10-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Bud Selig would scramble to add 4 more wild cards next year if that happened

voodoochile
10-06-2012, 11:52 AM

I think an A's vs Giants world series would be cool. Stoners vs the cool kids!

Happy for Thome,tho. I love how he went down the third baseline for a single....take note Adam Dunn.

Please, no, last time they did this, the Bay area nearly fell into the Bay. I live here now...

TheOldRoman
10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Opportunities for relapse are everywhere. He needs to go somewhere low key, but not in the Bible Belt, where a sizable chunk of fans expect him to ostentatiously display his faith.He doesn't display his faith because that's what fans expect of him, he does it because that's who he is. I don't think there was an outcry from the fans for Emmett Smith, Troy Aikman, Dirk or anyone else to become more religious if they weren't already. Josh wears his faith on his sleeve because he believes it saved his life and helped him to recover to the point he has. I don't think he has any more pressure to live up to his faith and/or stay clean in Arlington than he would anywhere else because the pressure is all self induced and he knows that he lived under a microscope.

Frankly, people expect him to fail at some point and lots of people even hope for him to fail. For that reason and others, people would care if he had a drink. People know him. Anything he does in public is going to be caught on cellphone cameras. Any drink he has or any line he does is going to end up on Deadspin within a few days and it will be a national story. New York and Boston might be worse than other markets, but there isn't really any good market for him. Kyle Orton drunk or Joakim Noah in a bong shop might elicit a few chuckles from fans, but then it will be forgotten. Not so with Hamilton due to his history.

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2012, 01:58 PM
:scratch: How did they drop those two extra innings losses off their record?

Ended regular season with a 16-2 record.16 wins in 18 attempts.

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Rangers just look out of gas.

Kind of reminds me of a team from the South Side of Chicago.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2012, 02:02 PM

2 words; Rush Street.:gulp::gulp:

Saracen
10-08-2012, 11:20 AM
An anonymous Rangers' official when asked about re-signing Josh: "Not even if Josh wanted to play here for free."