PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals @ Braves Play-In WC Game Thread

voodoochile
10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Kind of looking forward to these, even if I completely disagree with the concept. Should be lots of excitement today.

thomas35forever
10-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Don't wanna see Chipper leave the game just yet. Go Braves!

VenturaFan23
10-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Getting sick of the seeing Cardinals in the playoffs now. Go Braves.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Don't wanna see Chipper leave the game just yet. Go Braves!

Me, neither. Here's to the home team!

SOXSINCE'70
10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Mike Matheny did a good job,but i'm all for seeing Venters and Kimbrall in the NLDS.

TommyGavinFloyd
10-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Records be damned, when you play the Cardinals, they're the 1 seed and have a 10 run lead. I continue to be jealous.

DSpivack
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
What a terrible call.

Classy move, Braves fans. What are you, Cubs fans? :scratch:

Huisj
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
This is insane. That's a flyball to left field. What the heck.

VenturaFan23
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
When did the replacement refs join MLB?

Huisj
10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
What is the guy cleaning up the trash doing? He's picking things up and tossing them 2 feet over. That's going to take a long time to clean up with that technique.

voodoochile
How does the OUTFIELD ump rule INFIELD fly? It makes NO ****ING SENSE! Bad job MLB...

thomas35forever
Braves got robbed badly. Really makes you wonder if it's worth it to bring in extra umps for the playoffs anymore. They've made some bad calls the last few postseasons.

russ99
Pathetic call. How you liking your dumb play-in game now, Bud?

Are they playing at Wrigley?

voodoochile
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Long term I think they add one more WC and go with a structure like the NFL. Perhaps a 3 game series to start which will expand to 5 shortly.

JB98
10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Is it just me or does the umpiring get WORSE in the playoffs?

Sure, you see the occasional screw job in the regular season, but during postseason play the last few years it seems like you see some sort of egregious error every game.

thomas35forever
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Is it just me or does the umpiring get WORSE in the playoffs?

Sure, you see the occasional screw job in the regular season, but during postseason play the last few years it seems like you see some sort of egregious error every game.

Could be, but everything gets magnified in the playoffs, so everyone sees it.

Brian26
10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Just turned this on....not sure I've ever seen a sudden death playoff game played under protest.

Huisj
10-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Ha, someone was yelling "infield fly" from the stands on that flyball Heyward hit.

SI1020
10-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Long term I think they add one more WC and go with a structure like the NFL. Perhaps a 3 game series to start which will expand to 5 shortly. Turkey Day baseball here we come.

cub killer
10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Braves fans' years of frustration has manifested itself through their behavior.

Getting slighted by the media in favor of the Bulldogs or Falcons. So many playoff appearances, but only 1 WS title. Last year's collapse leading to these Cardinals getting in. Having the best record this season among non-division winners, only to now have to play these pesky Cardinals for a DS spot which they would have had in any prior year. And now for the 2nd year in a row, the Cards steal their spot. Ouch.

Lightning struck twice. Now will it for the Rangers, who were 1 strike away twice last year, only to lose? Will Texas collapse 2 years in a row?

Dibbs
10-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I think this proves the 1 game play in is a terrible idea. Braves deserve a shot in a 5 games series.

Even worse if I heard correctly, the Nationals have to open IN St Louis? The best team in the majors all year has to open on the road??? Wow, they need to get this fixed asap.

Huisj
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I think this proves the 1 game play in is a terrible idea. Braves deserve a shot in a 5 games series.

Even worse if I heard correctly, the Nationals have to open IN St Louis? The best team in the majors all year has to open on the road??? Wow, they need to get this fixed asap.

And that stupid format was all because the TV networks didn't want to change their schedules which they had already set 7 months in advance or something. I didn't quite understand that, but it had something to do with when each series would have their travel days.

So instead of waiting a year and making it work right, they just went with it and let it be dictated by TV.

FielderJones
10-05-2012, 08:22 PM

That's for this year only. In 2013 the DS will go back to 2-2-1 format. This year the playoff format wasn't ratified until after the season started.

voodoochile
10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Just turned this on....not sure I've ever seen a sudden death playoff game played under protest.

The singularly most meaningless protest in the history of baseball. There is NO WAY MLB is going to slow down the money machine...

SoxSpeed22
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it was a lousy call, but the Braves fans should be flinging cans at their own players for giving the Cards all of those runs with their defensive mishaps.

palehozenychicty
10-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Yeah, it was a lousy call, but the Braves fans should be flinging cans at their own players for giving the Cards all of those runs with their defensive mishaps.

For real. They gave it away, in typical Braves fashion.

You can't give the Cards anything. At all. They are as resourceful a franchise I've seen in ANY sport.

Zakath
10-05-2012, 11:17 PM

6 games better in a tougher division, and they get booted in one game.

Terrible doesn't begin to cover it. Thought this was a really bad idea last year, and I'm surprised it turned out even worse.

Hendu
10-06-2012, 01:39 AM

I disagree about the play-in. Win your division or you have nothing to complain about. The wild card should be at a huge disadvantage to the division winner.

I do agree that the 2-3 format is stupid. The worse team should not get to open at home and potentially put the team with a better record on the ropes before they get to play a home game.

Yup. Those 3 errors were horrible. And the lack of hitting with RISP.

At least Chipper got a make-up call in his final at-bat.

Dibbs
10-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I disagree about the play-in. Win your division or you have nothing to complain about. The wild card should be at a huge disadvantage to the division winner.

I disagree. It is conceivable a 95 win team could lose a 1 game playoff with an 85 win team. If anything, with this new format, they should eliminate divisions altogether. Top three records get a series, and the 4th and 5th teams battle it out for a 1 game playoff.

I just think this 1 game playoff is not fair, despite being good for ratings.

sox1970
10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I disagree. It is conceivable a 95 win team could lose a 1 game playoff with an 85 win team. If anything, with this new format, they should eliminate divisions altogether. Top three records get a series, and the 4th and 5th teams battle it out for a 1 game playoff.

I just think this 1 game playoff is not fair, despite being good for ratings.

I've been saying this for years.

rockinrobin2312
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM

How is an umpire's bad call Selig's fault? I loved the play-in game. Teams don't like it, too bad, win the division. Long time ago you wouldn't be in the playoffs anyways.

Didn't even matter in the AL with both teams finishing with the same record

mzh
10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
How is an umpire's bad call Selig's fault? I loved the play-in game. Teams don't like it, too bad, win the division. Long time ago you wouldn't be in the playoffs anyways.

Didn't even matter in the AL with both teams finishing with the same record
The awful call wasn't Selig's fault. The fact that the Braves, a clearly superior team, were in that situation to begin with is.

Brian26
10-06-2012, 02:21 PM
At least Chipper got a make-up call in his final at-bat.

Bingo (I'm assuming you're talking about the call at first). The Braves wouldn't even have been in that position if Chipper didn't make that error earlier. Then, in his last at bat after a standing ovation by the crowd, he did not hustle at all down the line and was given a GIFT call by the first base umpire.

cub killer
10-06-2012, 07:55 PM
The awful call wasn't Selig's fault. The fact that the Braves, a clearly superior team, were in that situation to begin with is.

A team that craps away a do-or-die game the way they did, is not superior. They had the better regular season record, but when it came down to it, what happened? They have no one to blame but themselves.

SI1020
10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I wonder what the reaction would have been here if instead of the Braves, it was the White Sox in the same situation. I do agree that the Braves put themselves in a bad position with 3 errors and a baserunning blunder. Still, a bad call took away a decent chance to get back in the game. Again, the umps have done MLB no favors in an important playoff game.

palehozenychicty
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Bingo (I'm assuming you're talking about the call at first). The Braves wouldn't even have been in that position if Chipper didn't make that error earlier. Then, in his last at bat after a standing ovation by the crowd, he did not hustle at all down the line and was given a GIFT call by the first base umpire.

Exactly. The Bravos did themselves no favors.

TDog
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM

I like the play-in game better than the single wild card. One game between two teams that didn't win their divisions to give them a chance to make the postseason. Two teams that don't belong in the postseason getting one more chance because they came close -- although the Braves and Cardinals weren't even close to winning their divisions.

The Braves have no business blaming an umpire after getting to play at home and making multiple errors in multiple key situations to throw the game away.

SephClone89
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I like the play-in game better than the single wild card. One game between two teams that didn't win their divisions to give them a chance to make the postseason. Two teams that don't belong in the postseason getting one more chance because they came close -- although the Braves and Cardinals weren't even close to winning their divisions.

The Braves have no business blaming an umpire after getting to play at home and making multiple errors in multiple key situations to throw the game away.

On the other hand, you seem like someone who wouldn't like the concept of divisions anyway--shouldn't the top four/five teams, regardless of division, make it to the postseason? Obviously, a truly balanced schedule would have to come about to make that fair.

TDog
10-09-2012, 12:33 PM
On the other hand, you seem like someone who wouldn't like the concept of divisions anyway--shouldn't the top four/five teams, regardless of division, make it to the postseason? Obviously, a truly balanced schedule would have to come about to make that fair.

No. The baseball season is about the races to finish first. If you can't finish first, you don't belong in the postseason. You have only three divisions in each league, so you have to have a wild card, and I prefer the wild card play-in to a team that can coast into the postseason despite not contending for the division title.

And I like the idea that a team that blew a 5-game lead with 9 to play didn't just go into the postseason as a wild card. I thought it was great that the Rangers collapse was followed by a do-or-die game to qualify for the postseason.

If you don't have divisions, you have no reason to have a divisional series or a championship series to determine who will go to the World Series. You already have a league champion.