PDA

View Full Version : Who is next?

Soxheads
07-28-2002, 08:14 PM
With the trade of Kenny Lofton to the Giants, who do you think will be the next to go, if anyone?

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-28-2002, 08:19 PM
i think no one, i don't see why some teams would want some of these players...o_O

delben91
07-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Hard to say, could be any of them, or none of them. On the wistful thinking front, I'm voting for Ritchie.

soxtalker
07-28-2002, 09:53 PM
I think that it might be Bob Howry, who is not listed in the poll. In part, this is because he was the focus of some of the rumors. However, I notice that BA figured that the Dodgers paid dearly for Paul Shuhey http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/ . I suspect that, as usual, pitching is much more highly desired than position players. Of our pitchers (that might be available), Bob Howry is probably doing the best lately. The Sox would probably love to move Foulke with his large contract, but he's just had a horrible season.

Daver
07-28-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I think that it might be Bob Howry, who is not listed in the poll. In part, this is because he was the focus of some of the rumors. However, I notice that BA figured that the Dodgers paid dearly for Paul Shuhey http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/ . I suspect that, as usual, pitching is much more highly desired than position players. Of our pitchers (that might be available), Bob Howry is probably doing the best lately. The Sox would probably love to move Foulke with his large contract, but he's just had a horrible season.

Danny Evans gave a ton on that deal,especially since the Dodgers Farm system is the pits anyway,every move he makes robs that team of its future.

soxtalker
07-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by daver

Danny Evans gave a ton on that deal,especially since the Dodgers Farm system is the pits anyway,every move he makes robs that team of its future.

It's interesting how the competitive landscape of this game is evolving. A lot of people claim that the Yankees win just because they have a lot of money. But I think that Brian Cashman excels because he really seems make smart decisions. However, to be fair, all that money does allow the Yankees to recover from mistakes. For teams like the Sox, a mistake on an Albert Belle or Todd Ritchie means a lost season or two or three ... A team like KC may not even get the chance to try a high-priced free agent.

Now, back to the Dodgers. As you say, they appear to have seriously mortgaged their future. They are, however, one of the elite teams in terms of revenue. Will they be able to buy their way to recovery? One of the other things that the Yankees have is a good scouting and farm system. How does the Dodgers system look? If I recall correctly, they do have a superior scouting system in the far east.

kevingrt
07-28-2002, 10:12 PM
No one, not enough time I think...

Daver
07-28-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

It's interesting how the competitive landscape of this game is evolving. A lot of people claim that the Yankees win just because they have a lot of money. But I think that Brian Cashman excels because he really seems make smart decisions. However, to be fair, all that money does allow the Yankees to recover from mistakes. For teams like the Sox, a mistake on an Albert Belle or Todd Ritchie means a lost season or two or three ... A team like KC may not even get the chance to try a high-priced free agent.

Now, back to the Dodgers. As you say, they appear to have seriously mortgaged their future. They are, however, one of the elite teams in terms of revenue. Will they be able to buy their way to recovery? One of the other things that the Yankees have is a good scouting and farm system. How does the Dodgers system look? If I recall correctly, they do have a superior scouting system in the far east.

The Yankees are famous for overhyping their system,but they do draft well,and they sign the draftees,because they can,unlike a lot of other teams.

The Dodgers have an excellent scouting corps,one of the best in the majors,and they also have the revenue to deal with the best of the japanese leagues,but only to a point,they have to rely on their farm system or FA for most of their position players,and right now they have nothiong in their farm system,their one strength(if it could be called that) was pitching,and Evans is getting rid of all that too.Evans was given the green light to try and win now,and he is emptying the farm to do it,in the end the Dodgers will have to be a player in the FA market again next season because they have nothing to call up to replace anyone they lose.

guillen4life13
07-28-2002, 10:27 PM
are you dissin' my homeboy mckay christensen?

chisoxt
07-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Now, back to the Dodgers. As you say, they appear to have seriously mortgaged their future. They are, however, one of the elite teams in terms of revenue. Will they be able to buy their way to recovery?

No, there aren't many teams that can do that. I like Dan Evans as a GM but trading your best prospects to get that one guy to put you over the hump is the proverbial "Forbidden Fruit' of temptation that impatient general managers fall for. It always backfires!

That's why I like what Schu did in 200 by not trading away any prospects to get the pitching that everyone was clamoring for. As iturns out, it was hitting that did us in in the 2000 playoffs, not pitching.

Ofcourse, a year layer KW traded all of them anyway.