Last game...

2012 Season Highlights:

Humber - Perfect Game
Konerko - #400 HR
Sale - 15K's
Dunn - #400 HR

ChiSoxGirl
10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow. So many emotions running through me right now, but sadness is the one I'm feeling the most. :whiner: I'm sad that another baseball season has come to an end. I'm sad that the season ended with complete heartbreak. I'm sad that I won't have something to watch or listen to every night anymore. I'm sad that Konerko finished the season just a tick below .300. Finally, I'm sad that I won't receive my daily dose of Robin and his fun, resilient team.

Sleep well, sweet White Sox; I'll miss you more than you can know. Though you'll be far from my TV and radio for the next six months, you're never, ever far from my heart.

The first regular season game of 2013 is 179 days away. Let the countdown begin!

Aesero
10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Last seasons heroes of game 162 with the tying and game winning homers were Dan Johnson and Evan Longoria. This years game 162 both players hit 3 homers.

Gotta love baseball.

aryzner
10-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Sad day.

Not just because the Sox missed out on playoff baseball, but simply because White Sox baseball is over in 2012.

Looking forward to next season.

kevingrt
10-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Fun season.

Sounds likes Stone is gone too.

Noneck
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Gosh I hope Johnson wont suddenly be in next years plans.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." That line is going through my head right now.

The Sox won 85 games, they proved the "experts" wrong. They didn't lost 95 games, they didn't lost 90 games and that needs to be mentioned and commented on.

They had some spectacular individual efforts...Sale (if he stays healthy) emerged as a potential dominant pitcher, Peavy gave them over 200 innings, A.J. had a career year, Rios should be Comeback Player of the Year...even Dunn with his home run's and walks did well in some areas. The three rookie pitchers combined for double figure wins and over 30 saves.

Yet even with all these things going for them, playing in the weakest division in the league, the Sox finished 8th out of the eight clubs that had winning records for the year and gift wrapped the division because of the way they played the final two weeks.

That's hard to take.

We'll see what the off season brings...it's going to be interesting both on and off the field.

Lip

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Gosh I hope Johnson wont suddenly be in next years plans.

Considering that Konerko and Dunn are both under contract next season (and that Johnson sucks), I doubt it.

tstrike2000
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Hahn, your turn.

Noneck
10-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Considering that Konerko and Dunn are both under contract next season (and that Johnson sucks), I doubt it.

I know but it was just an ugly thought that came in my mind.

amsteel
In 10 years the 2012 White Sox season will be remembered for 2 things:
Humber's perfect game
September collapse

Which I guess is better than 2011 which will be remembered for Dunn's epic fail.

samurai_sox
Is it too early to ask what our draft position will be next year?

samurai_sox
10-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Humber's perfect game
September collapse

Which I guess is better than 2011 which will be remembered for Dunn's epic fail.

Just like how I remember '07 for Buehrle's No-Hitter and Thome's #500 walk-off shot.

tstrike2000
10-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Fun season.

Sounds likes Stone is gone too.

If Stone's not gone, I'd hate to hear what it would be like if Hawk and him really got pissed off at each other.

JB98
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
An interesting offseason awaits.

Every time I see Floyd pitch like this I wonder why he is so damn inconsistent. He's a 12-game winner with 15- to 17-win stuff.

nsolo
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Sad day.

Not just because the Sox missed out on playoff baseball, but simply because White Sox baseball is over in 2012.

Looking forward to next season.

Agreed. Even though this seasons end was a disappointment, nothing compares to a beautiful summer evening at the old ballpark with a cold one or two. This holds true even if the baseball is being delivered to me on my very old transistor radio while soaking up a beautiful Michigan evening sitting on the back patio.

DumpJerry
10-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm proud of our team this year.

Last time I cried over the Sox was at the conclusion of the game on this day (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml). It does not get more painful than what we experienced that day.

Frater Perdurabo
10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I would welcome Dan Johnson on next year's bench. Not based on tonight's performance, but because he has performed well in pinch hitting duties over the last month.

16th&State
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Hell of a fun summer. Bitter end...

tstrike2000
10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Humber's perfect game
September collapse

Yes, despite the September choke, at least the majority of the season was a success and we finally had professionalism in the dugout.

2011 seemed like a 6 month disappointment from start to finish, no energy, unprofessionalism, pissing on statues, twitter horsecrap, and leaving before the season ended to go to another team.

russ99
10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Fun summer, sad it's over.

I hope Hahn has the power to make changes as he sees fit. Time for Kenny to take a step back.

ChiSoxGirl
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Last time I cried over the Sox was at the conclusion of the game on this day (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml). It does not get more painful than what we experienced that day.

The last time I cried over the Sox was on this day (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201209300.shtml). Being that my first memories of the Sox begin in 1989, this was personally the saddest end to a season in my lifetime. They broke my heart this year.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I would welcome Dan Johnson on next year's bench. Not based on tonight's performance, but because he has performed well in pinch hitting duties over the last month.

I wouldn't. He can't play the field, or just 1B. No room for that on the roster with Dunn and Konerko there.

I was but a wee little zygote that day.

DumpJerry
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I was but a wee little zygote that day.
You're lucky you missed the darkest day in the history of Western Civilization.

Damn it, we had LaMarr pitching the next day!!!:angry:

tstrike2000
10-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Fun summer, sad it's over.

I hope Hahn has the power to make changes as he sees fit. Time for Kenny to take a step back.

I was hoping Kenny would maybe become a special assistant and work with Buddy Bell on the minor league system.

samurai_sox
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
The last time I cried over the Sox was on this day (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201209300.shtml). Being that my first memories of the Sox begin in 1989, this was personally the saddest end to a season in my lifetime. They broke my heart this year.

When the Rays finished off the Sox in '08 was pretty damn depressing for me.

I remember asking myself, who knows the next time this team will reach the playoffs,

and I'm still wondering 4 years later .

nsolo
10-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Thank you White Sox for a MUCH better season than I expected. Proud to be a lifetime fan.

Baseball has always been such a big part of my life. Growing up in Michigan, all my buddies were and still are Tiger fans. Because of them, I'll root for them in the playoffs.

The season ending is hard because to me other sports just don't have the same appeal. I enjoy college football (Go Blue) but baseball has woven itself into my life and that of our country that when the season ends, I view it as a personal loss.

My love of the game was best expressed by James Earl Jones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw Check out all the old Sox uniforms in the background.

Nice to end the season with a win. Any predictions on who stays or goes?
I hope AJ returns. Dunn had a great bounce back year, but all those K's wore very thin. Rios was good, even during the teams terrible end. The defense was a great surprise. To quote Maxwell Smart "we missed it by that much".

Best wishes to all. Will check in now and then. Pray for spring.

16th&State
10-03-2012, 10:47 PM

The 93 ALCS for me. Though this season ranks up there for me too now that the season is over and the bitter disappointment is setting in...

Edit: Also, I hope the Tigers get crushed in the playoffs...!!

harwar
10-03-2012, 10:56 PM

I was on the other side of the planet during that time so i missed the entire postseason, but i had that experience in 93 when we lost to toronto .. it took me a long time to get over that ..

seventyseven
10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I wonder if there's been another major leaguer who hit 3 HRs in a season, and all of them in the same game?

thomas35forever
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Going into the offseason with some good vibes. Now build a club that can beat the goddamn Royals!

A. Cavatica
10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't. He can't play the field, or just 1B. No room for that on the roster with Dunn and Konerko there.

I'd rather have Johnson at Johnson's salary than Dunn at Dunn's salary.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 11:17 PM

While I was too little to remember that, as a little kid my family was mostly Cubs fans. I was taken to go games on both sides of town, but what stood out was...

The 93 ALCS for me. Though this season ranks up there for me too now that the season is over and the bitter disappointment is setting in...

I was on the other side of the planet during that time so i missed the entire postseason, but i had that experience in 93 when we lost to toronto .. it took me a long time to get over that ..

...when my dad took me to a home game in the 1993 ALCS. Despite the loss, I was astounded by the electric crowd, much better than any other baseball game I had ever been to. From that day forward, I joined the Good Guys (who wore black).

Bucky F. Dent
10-03-2012, 11:19 PM
The first regular season game of 2013 is 179 days away. Let the countdown begin!

It's not quite that bad CSG. Spring training starts in February. A mere four months away

seventyseven
10-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Because the Sox have proven themselves so adept at spending their money wisely?

soxnut1018
10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
What is it with Dan Johnson and game 162s?

palehozenychicty
10-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Strange feeling this year. The team performed above expectations, even though they slowly withered away like most Sox teams of recent times. It was the definition of bittersweet.

I don't know how they'll improve through transactions, but it'll be interesting. A lot of youth in the pitching staff. They can't seem to develop quality youth in the field, though. Viciedo needs a better eye. Beckham isn't an offensive threat.

WisSoxFan
10-03-2012, 11:43 PM

My 20th birthday. Tito ****ing Landrum and the Dibber. And Illinois beat Wisconsin in football that afternoon as well. I've had better birthdays.

tebman
10-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Tito Landrum! :gah:

My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. We watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, then felt the cold pall that fell over the ballpark in the tenth inning. That memory haunts me still.

Looking at this year I see signs of hope in promising young pitchers, stronger defense up the middle, and a more purposeful coaching staff. Of course I'm unhappy that the air came out of the balloon these last few weeks, but I feel better knowing that Rick Hahn will be making personnel decisions this winter. I don't know...maybe that's naive optimism. But that's baseball. There's always next season, and that's good.

Soxman219
10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Happy how our Sox beat the critics and had a winning season. The choke hurt, but overall this season was better than I expect. Next year, let's pray the Sox finally beat the Royals and Tigers consistently so we can see postseason baseball on the Southside.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 11:54 PM

My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. We watched Britt Burns pitch the game of his life, then felt the cold pall that fell over the ballpark in the tenth inning. That memory haunts me still.

Looking at this year I see signs of hope in promising young pitchers, stronger defense up the middle, and a more purposeful coaching staff. Of course I'm unhappy that the air came out of the balloon these last few weeks, but I feel better knowing that Rick Hahn will be making personnel decisions this winter. I don't know...maybe that's naive optimism. But that's baseball. There's always next season, and that's good.

While I'm depressed that they failed to win the division, I never really thought they had a chance at the title, I just wanted them to get to the dance and I would have happy with that. 1983 and 1993, OTOH, were real chances at a title. I felt the same way about the 2004 team before Maggs & Frank went down with injuries.

kittle42
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Dan Johnson is as bad or worse than Dewayne Wise. Please, let's not start the offseason with calls for a roster spot wasted.

slavko
10-04-2012, 12:27 AM

You mean Dunn's not 14 times as good as Johnson? Got some pop, obviously, doesn't strike out much. Might need a lefty bat along the way when Gordon is due up with the game on the line someday. Which happened at least 5-6 times this season.

Is there room on a modern day roster for such a player? Hahn will sort it out, no fear.

TaylorStSox
10-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Viciedo's numbers ended up looking pretty damn good for a kid his age.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2012, 06:28 AM

If we were to trade Dunn for someone of value we would need a guy to spell Konerko against a tough RH pitcher or so I could live with Johnson as a backup. Full time DH, no way.

cards press box
10-04-2012, 06:48 AM

And the Orioles were not going to beat Hoyt. I was sitting in the lower deck in left field that day. When Greg Walker singled off Storm Davis to start the bottom of the 7th, I can still remember thinking that the Sox were about to take the game, the series and the World Series. But for one terrible basrunning mistake from Jerry Dybzinski, that all might have happened. It is hard to describe just how close that very strong Sox team was to glory.

An interesting offseason awaits.

Every time I see Floyd pitch like this I wonder why he is so damn inconsistent. He's a 12-game winner with 15- to 17-win stuff.

It should be an interesting offseason. And I, too, have no idea why Floyd is so enigmatic. In recent comments (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2012/10/parents-tip-has-floyd-throwing.html), Floyd says that Mark Parent suggested a mechanical change that has improved him greatly. If that is the case -- and the last two outings suggest that he may have turned the corner -- then the Sox may well be advised to bring Floyd back one more time.

The Sox and by all accounts new general manager Rick Hahn have to make a decision on Floyd and a lot of other guys (primarily AJ, Peavy, and Youkilis). I think that Hahn will do well as the new gm. I also am proud that the Sox made the strides that they did this year. In what was really a transitional season, the Sox improved greatly and built a foundation for the future, particularly with the pitching staff and the defense.

So, while looking forward to what should be a fine 2013 season, it's worth saying one more time in 2012:

:winner

October26
10-04-2012, 07:55 AM

When the Rays finished off the Sox in '08 was pretty damn depressing for me.

I remember asking myself, who knows the next time this team will reach the playoffs, and I'm still wondering 4 years later .

...when my dad took me to a home game in the 1993 ALCS. Despite the loss, I was astounded by the electric crowd, much better than any other baseball game I had ever been to. From that day forward, I joined the Good Guys (who wore black).

My 20th birthday. Tito ****ing Landrum and the Dibber. And Illinois beat Wisconsin in football that afternoon as well. I've had better birthdays.

One of the many great things about WSI is having a place to discuss White Sox baseball. I enjoy reading the perspectives (like each of yours posted above) of Sox fans of all ages. Reading your posts connected all of the heartbreaking endings of Sox seasons for most of the years that I have been following the team. I also like to discuss White Sox history, and I especially enjoy reading Dan Helpingstine's books. I will agree that Tito Landrum destroyed my Sox world on October 8, 1983; I am still looking for Britt Burns to give him a hug. The 1993 Sox playoff exit was awful as well. Those were great Sox teams in 1983 and 1993 that failed to advance in the playoffs.

Yes! Viciedo is only 23 years old and I am very excited about his future. :bandance:

As for our Sox, yes it was tough to watch the games these last couple of weeks and now we can add 2012 to our list of disappointing endings to Sox seasons. I am, however, trying not to let the horrible way this season ended sour what was an incredible summer of White Sox baseball for me. DumpJerry, I am also proud of our team. I had alot of fun at the ballpark and on WSI this year and I look forward to the Sox and Robin's return in 2013.

Mr. Jinx
10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Dan Johnson is as bad or worse than Dewayne Wise. Please, let's not start the offseason with calls for a roster spot wasted.

Seeing as this year alone we've had people trumpeting contract extensions to Quintana after his first month starting in the majors and Liriano after one good start, I'm surprised more people haven't yet.

doublem23
10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Seeing as this year alone we've had people trumpeting contract extensions to Quintana after his first month starting in the majors and Liriano after one good start, I'm surprised more people haven't yet.

Who has done that?

russ99
10-04-2012, 09:15 AM

Maybe selective numbers, like .255/25/78. Those look OK for his age, but average at best for a corner outfielder.

The other numbers are worrysome: .300 OBP, 120Ks, only 10 of his 78 RBIs in RISP situations and a 0.6 WAR.

Then there's the eye test: Way too much hacking at bad pitches, letting the pitcher dictate the at-bat and non-productive at-bats to go with the 25 where he took the ball out of the park.

Not to mention that the Sox already invested $14M in him for 700+ AB and Boras will surely try to get him a hefty raise in his first arb year.

There could be room for growth as a hitter, but I don't see the guy suddenly becoming selective and patient. If anything we may get more HRs and RBIs out of him, but there's more to a hitter than that.

Not saying the Sox should just flush him, he'd be a decent lower order guy in a better lineup, but we need a lineup upgrade and power potential is a hot commodity on the trade market, it would behoove Rick/Kenny to kick tires.

Tragg
10-04-2012, 09:21 AM

If he doesn't get his OBP up 40 points, he's Willie Mo Pena. Somehow he's got to get some patience and learn the strike zone.
He had a good September in the OBP department, though.

Chez
10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Strange feeling this year. The team performed above expectations, even though they slowly withered away like most Sox teams of recent times. It was the definition of bittersweet.

This was the word I was going to use to describe the 2012 season -- bittersweet. The White Sox far exceeded all the experts' predictions and gave us a really fun summer and legitimate playoff hope into the third week of September. For that, I'm grateful. Yet I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the two weeks of dreadful baseball we saw at the end.

I don't think the 1983 and 1993 teams are apt comparisons to this team. The 1983 team was the first Sox team to make it to the post-season since 1959 (the first 24 freaking years of my life)! That should give a bit of perspective to those who are bemoaning the fact that the Sox haven't been to the post-season since 2008. Plus, the 2012 team was nowhere as talented or formidable as the 1983 or 1993 teams. Those teams were as good as any team in baseball those years. I don't think you can say that about the 2012 team.

On the other hand, the 1983 and 1993 teams made it to the post-season and there is a certain validation which comes from simply making it to the playoffs. We didn't achieve "validation" this season.

2012 hurts, but it is a different kind of hurt (on many different levels) than I experienced after the 1983 and 1993 seasons. I'm disappointed, but don't feel like it is a major missed opportunity like I did after our playoff exits in 1983 and 1993. Sorry for the stream-of-conscious rambling.

kittle42
10-04-2012, 11:21 AM

I like you already!

kittle42
10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Who has done that?

If I feel bored today, I'll find it.

TaylorStSox
10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Tank has done a tremendous job being more selective at every level as he's progressed. There's no reason to suggest that trend wont continue at this level.

hawkjt
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Tank has done a tremendous job being more selective at every level as he's progressed. There's no reason to suggest that trend wont continue at this level.

Agree. The A's announcers were talking about their Cuban outfielder yesterday as he took a walk in their pivotal 4th inning rally and said at the start of the season they never would have seen that happening as he was a total free-swinger. He is 4 years older than Tank,so I expect Tank to sharpen his eye in his 2nd year in the MLB. If not,then after next year, decision time.

This season was both exhilarating,and then ultimately,crushing.
Still, last year at this time,I expected nothing but pain,and we had many sweet times.
So, while painful at the end, I still salute the team and coaching staff for wringing close to full potential out of this team.

That is why I refuse to get overly despondant today looking to the future...the A's and Nats showed that anything is possible,and the Sox almost showed it....so next year....it could be OUR YEAR!!

Thanks for the memories,boys!

SOXSINCE'70
10-04-2012, 11:54 AM

A plea to Robin Ventura: PLEASE play your bench players more often next year!! Who knows what might have happened if Dan Johnson had just a FEW more starts in 2012??

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
If we were to trade Dunn for someone of value we would need a guy to spell Konerko against a tough RH pitcher or so I could live with Johnson as a backup. Full time DH, no way.I could be wrong, and often am, but I just don't see anybody offering anything of value for Dunn. I don't care how much Hawk insists that every one of Dunn's home runs was in a huge situation.

kittle42
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Who knows what might have happened if Dan Johnson had just a FEW more starts in 2012??

Seriously?

You do know this is the equivalent of "Dewayne Wise should play more often."

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Seriously?

You do know this is the equivalent of "Dewayne Wise should play more often."Oh, come on, you had to know that there would be calls for him to become a regular when he hit three homers yesterday.

Dan H
10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I could be wrong, and often am, but I just don't see anybody offering anything of value for Dunn. I don't care how much Hawk insists that every one of Dunn's home runs was in a huge situation.

Hawk has no credibility and you are not wrong in this case. Dunn is just too one dimensional. Even with all the homers, his strikeouts and low average are a drag on the offense. At least he came back to have a better year, but I don't see other teams standing in line to get him.

LITTLE NELL
10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I could be wrong, and often am, but I just don't see anybody offering anything of value for Dunn. I don't care how much Hawk insists that every one of Dunn's home runs was in a huge situation.

Its hard to say what kind of trade value Dunn has. When you hit 41 HRs you should have way over 100 RBIs not 96 but that's what 221Ks and a .204 BA gets you.
If we can't trade him, please Robin don't bat him 3rd again in 2013.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM

I was against the wall by the arches down the left field line, could only get a SRO ticket. Too stunned or beaten down to cry.

This year was a tough one. The team picked a bad time to have a nasty losing streak. We damn near took the division over a team that had a Triple Crown batting champion, last year's Cy Young/MVP, and Prince Fielder. There's a reason that no one thought back in April that the Sox could do that (though I never thought we'd lose 90 or any of that nonsense). At the end, the planets re-aligned. It was fun while it lasted.

hawkjt
10-04-2012, 01:31 PM
A plea to Robin Ventura: PLEASE play your bench players more often next year!! Who knows what might have happened if Dan Johnson had just a FEW more starts in 2012??

Robin should have given Johnson some more starts in September,especially in the last two weeks....PK and Dunn were dead,and Johnson was like 8 for 20 in his opportunities.

Robin refused to push the panic button,but it needed to be pushed...PK was bad the whole second half,as was Dunn...how much more evidence did he need?