PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Broadcasters Who Drank While Broadcasting

Viva Medias B's
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I am under the presumption that this topic is safe enough to discuss here. For years, we knew that Harry Caray used to drink beer while broadcasting baseball games. With us, he would drink Falstaff, then Stroh's, and later Budweiser. There are legendary stories of the effects of the beer influence Harry's on air broadcast. There is the legendary story, or urban legend, of a hot day and doubleheader in Kansas City when Harry said "It's so hot the third baseman is Melton."

In the Major League movies, we see Bob Uecker's character, Harry Doyle, often consume alcohol on the air. Was this a common thing with the old time announcers? I cannot imagine announcers doing it today.

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Harry's the only one I remember doing it in all my time of watching or listening to Sox games. I can't imagine Bob Elson slamming back brews. I'm reasonably certain Brickhouse didn't.

chicagowhitesox1
10-03-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't know if i'm wrong but I remember Harry Carey really slurring his words by the 7th inning when I listened to him as a kid in the 80's. I kinda wish Steve Stone would write a tell all book on his experiances with Harry Carey and Ken Harrelson. I guarantee I would buy the book.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2012, 05:58 AM
I don't know if i'm wrong but I remember Harry Carey really slurring his words by the 7th inning when I listened to him as a kid in the 80's. I kinda wish Steve Stone would write a tell all book on his experiances with Harry Carey and Ken Harrelson. I guarantee I would buy the book.

It's Caray not Carey.

Railsplitter
10-03-2012, 06:56 AM
I am under the presumption that this topic is safe enough to discuss here. For years, we knew that Harry Caray used to drink beer while broadcasting baseball games. With us, he would drink Falstaff, then Stroh's, and later Budweiser. There are legendary stories of the effects of the beer influence Harry's on air broadcast. There is the legendary story, or urban legend, of a hot day and doubleheader in Kansas City when Harry said "It's so hot the third baseman is Melton."

I actually remember hearing him say it in 1975. I've always thought of it as an incredibly bad pun.

SephClone89
10-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I actually remember hearing him say it in 1975. I've always thought of it as an incredibly bad pun.

Bad puns are good puns.

DumpJerry
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM

In the Major League movies, we see Bob Uecker's character, Harry Doyle, often consume alcohol on the air. Was this a common thing with the old time announcers? I cannot imagine announcers doing it today.
You left out his "7 ounce buddies." ("I've got my 7 ounce buddies up here in the booth...") They were 8-packs of 7 ounce bottles of Miller.

By the Seventh Inning of games, Jimmy Piersall had to translate for us what Harry was saying. A doubleheader? Harry was useless in Game Two.

SI1020
10-03-2012, 09:41 AM
You left out his "7 ounce buddies." ("I've got my 7 ounce buddies up here in the booth...") They were 8-packs of 7 ounce bottles of Miller.

By the Seventh Inning of games, Jimmy Piersall had to translate for us what Harry was saying. A doubleheader? Harry was useless in Game Two. Are there any tapes available from that time period to confirm or refute that contention? Posters who weren't alive then are going to read stuff like this and make a very misinformed judgement about that era of Sox broadcasting.

slavko
10-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Brickhouse's sidekick Harry Creighton used to drink Hamm's on camera. He'd be ready to fall out of the booth after a doubleheader. That's where "Hey, Harry" started. He left broadcasting and wound up with a Hamm's distributorship. No lie.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-11-26/news/8603290105_1_jack-brickhouse-mr-creighton-beer

MeteorsSox4367
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
I remember Harry Caray pitching Falstaff when I was a little kid. My question is was Falstaff a quality beer or was it crap?

FielderJones
10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I remember Harry Caray pitching Falstaff when I was a little kid. My question is was Falstaff a quality beer or was it crap?

Low-end.

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
It was so bad that when the beer shipments would arrive in Viet Nam, by the end of the month the only things left were Falstaff and Carling's Black Label. Even guys in Nam wouldn't drink it unless they had no other choice.

LITTLE NELL
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
It was so bad that when the beer shipments would arrive in Viet Nam, by the end of the month the only things left were Falstaff and Carling's Black Label. Even guys in Nam wouldn't drink it unless they had no other choice.

How could that be when it was ''The choicest product of the brewers art''.

Chez
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM

So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
So bad that I'm surprised the hipsters aren't drinking it in Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Anyone else remember the brief Carta Blanca era as the official beer of the White Sox?

They might be if it was still around.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
On a cassette tape, I have a portion of a WMAQ recording of a Sox-Brewers game at County Stadium from either '78 or '79. Harry did a promo spot for Stroh's and ended it with "Let's enjoy one together."

Also, it was either here or somewhere else, but haven't there been claims about Mike Shannon and drinking? Correct me if I am wrong.

PaleHoser
10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I have a picture somewhere of Harry in the Comiskey Park press box holding a Stroh's can.

Bud man...

WLL1855
10-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Also, it was either here or somewhere else, but haven't there been claims about Mike Shannon and drinking? Correct me if I am wrong.

From what I've been told, you aren't wrong. A Cards fan friend of mine claims Shannon hits the beer hard during the game.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
So Hawk has been sober this whole time? That can't be.

russ99
10-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Was that a package deal with Yago? :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWpgOmLBzk

Never drank it, but man it looked nasty.

And yes, Falstaff would totally be a hipster beer had it survived.

kba
10-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Harry and his Falstaff (http://therustybunch.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=18747&sid=7515c4f5b40b939fcf218e0aabfdf008&mode=view), circa 1975. Looks like Bill Mercer, his radio partner, in the background.

palehosepub
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I remember during the Falstaff years you could hear Harry take a slug of beer and often it was followed with an "aaaahhh"

I remember him talking with his mouth full of Chicken Unlimited too...

Zisk77
10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm pretty sure Mike Shannon (radio) in St. Louis drank (drinks?) on air.

Viva Medias B's
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
What would a drunken Farmio sound like? Paging King Xerxes. Paging King Xerxes.

Falstaff
10-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Mid - 70's, Harry had a broadcast sidekick JC Martin. Sometimes it seemed Harry would intentionally drink JC under the table. Once, an extra inning game finished and JC was to do the on-field after game interview. Harry kept saying "OK, we'll go now to JC Martin for the post game interview..." but JC never made it to the field that night. They showed the player standing there waiting, but no JC Martin, so they just bagged it that nite. Yeah I remember hearing Harry crack one open and pour full a glass of beer, or holding up a bottle that was open.

Also remember the Falstaff commercials with Gabe and Walker? They was
my dad's favorite.

Viva Medias B's
10-14-2012, 07:20 AM
I know someone who said they were in Anaheim to see the Sox play the Angels, and after the game Harry had to be helped to a waiting cab because he, well, you know.