PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Why Not? Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
10-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Could be worse. We could be living in Cleveland.

JB98
10-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I called it. It's always the .200-hitting middle infielder who beats the Sox.

harwar
10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice game Jake ..

SI1020
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Could be worse. We could be living in Cleveland. The suburbs are mostly nice and they have some great ethnic eats.

Soxman219
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
You could count how many people were there.

I got 239.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Sums up the Sox season pretty well doesn't it?

Can't hit for ****, then piss away a late lead.

Not that it matters but just for the hell of it:

Just some numbers:

Sox have now had 67 games where they scored three runs or less (41.6% of season.)

Sox have scored three runs or less 11 times in the last 15 games!

11th time the Sox lost a game when leading in the 7th inning or later (5th time in the 9th inning!!!)

Sox are 5-9 in extra inning games and have dropped four in a row in that category.

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I called it. It's always the .200-hitting middle infielder who beats the Sox.

And it seems to be happening every other day since that series in Baltimore where stiffs like McLouth, Ford and Teagarden beat the **** out of the Sox.

Lip

shingo10
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Two trends that my naked eyes have detected for the Sox in the past several years:

1)They fade terribly down the stretch and have terrible second halves of the season.

2)They do not do well at all in extra inning games...part of this I always thought was their approach. Especially at home it seems like they try to jack home runs instead of focusing on hitting it hard in extra innings. On the road they always seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As sad as it is that they play their last game tomorrow, mentally I'm exhausted of following this team. The break should do me well.

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Sox have scored three runs or less 11 times in the last 15 games!

11th time the Sox lost a game when leading in the 7th inning or later (5th time in the 9th inning!!!)

Lip

THIS is what aggravated me more than anything while we kept spinning our wheels and everyone kept saying "it's one more game off the schedule" and "Detroit's also having their problems". So many of those games were winnable and could have padded the lead significantly.

PalehosePlanet
10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm willing to bet that Nate Jones is the worst reliever in baseball when it comes to allowing inherited runners to score.

Also, I still don't understand why he never elevates his fastball above the belt when ahead in the count. Matt Thornton made a living for 5 years doing just that. Most MLB hitters can hit 97/98 if it is at the knees or thighs.

And as a side note, there is no way Jake is able to talk Robin into letting him pitch the 9th if this game meant anything.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Two trends that my naked eyes have detected for the Sox in the past several years:

1)They fade terribly down the stretch and have terrible second halves of the season.

2)They do not do well at all in extra inning games...part of this I always thought was their approach. Especially at home it seems like they try to jack home runs instead of focusing on hitting it hard in extra innings. On the road they always seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As sad as it is that they play their last game tomorrow, mentally I'm exhausted of following this team. The break should do me well.

Shingo: Wait until you see the numbers tomorrow night on the 1st half / 2nd half splits for the past 10 seasons.

You won't believe it.

Lip

slavko
10-02-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm willing to bet that Nate Jones is the worst reliever in baseball when it comes to allowing inherited runners to score.

Also, I still don't understand why he never elevates his fastball above the belt when ahead in the count. Matt Thornton made a living for 5 years doing just that. Most MLB hitters can hit 97/98 if it is at the knees or thighs.

And as a side note, there is no way Jake is able to talk Robin into letting him pitch the 9th if this game meant anything.

Had to be a scouting report that the guy liked high pitches. Letter high and unhittable was the ticket. Low fastballs only help the batter. Jake cost himself a win. Veal was ready to face Hafner. Got more than an inning out of Myers, surprised me.

soxfan1965
10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
If Dunn's 2 strikeouts tonight got him to 222, then he needs only 1 to tie Mark Reynolds' season record, and 2 to beat Reynolds' record on the last game on Wednesday. If Dunn does, not sure if he wants to keep that ball.

SI1020
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
THIS is what aggravated me more than anything while we kept spinning our wheels and everyone kept saying "it's one more game off the schedule" and "Detroit's also having their problems". So many of those games were winnable and could have padded the lead significantly. I hated it when posters said this. I held my fire because I try to keep my arguments to a minimum here, but man that was aggravating.

tstrike2000
10-02-2012, 11:25 PM
For as good as Jake was, it's unfortunate his last start in a Sox uniform didn't end better.

Brian26
10-02-2012, 11:47 PM

I agree, PP. Unfortunately the game was meaningless, so it was a nice gesture on the part of Robin to let Jake try to finish it. He was three outs from a 1-hit complete game shutout. No reason to get upset about this one. **** happens.

PaleHoser
10-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I had a feeling this game was lost the moment Thornton took the mound.

When was the last time the Sox (or MLB team for that matter) had a pitcher lose 10 games in a season without a start?

doublem23
10-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I had a feeling this game was lost the moment Thornton took the mound.

When was the last time the Sox (or MLB team for that matter) had a pitcher lose 10 games in a season without a start?

For the White Sox, it's happened 3 other times:

Wilbur Wood pulled the trick in 1970 and 1969. Clint Brown did it once in 1939.

For all of Major League Baseball, it's Matt Thornton is the 79th pitcher in history to pull a 0 GS, 10 L season, including 2 others this year; Fernando Rodriguez (Houston) and Alfredo Aceves (Boston). Here's the whole list, for those of you who subscribe to B-R's Play Index: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/season_finder.cgi?type=p#ajax_result_table::none

FielderJones
10-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Nate Jones does indeed lead the league with 24 inherited runners scoring. Next up are Luis Ayala of BAL and Tim Collins of KCR with 22.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2012-reliever-pitching.shtml

In the National League it's not even close. Ryan Webb of MIA allowed 18.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-reliever-pitching.shtml

In terms of percentage, I think you have to have a minimum number of inherited runners. Chris Sale allowed his one and only inherited runner to score for 100%, but that doesn't mean he sucks.

Hitmen77
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Fitting final game (in all likelihood) for Peavy in a Sox uniform.

:hawk:
Another extra inning loss? It's all good!

hawkjt
10-03-2012, 03:00 PM
If Jake was just going to throw a hanger to Pronk,he should have just come out of the game and let Veal get him the win.

I think the pressure clearly affected Tank...after it is decided Tank hits 2 homers and drives in 6....not a crime,just a shame..next year he might be less suseptible to it,hopefully.

Still, this team is still sleepwalking on offense,and it is hard to figure.

I know it is meaningless but I wanted them to win these last 3 to pull within one game of the Tigers so I can whine about every loss that made the difference all winter.....I am nuts.:(:

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
If Jake was just going to throw a hanger to Pronk...That probably wasn't his plan.