PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Thanks for the hits 10-1 postgamer

DumpJerry
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
11 runs. I guess September really is over.

Where were these bats the last few weeks?

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Hawk sounded just as disgusted with this win as he did with the losses in the previous weeks, I don't think he has taken this September well.

JB98
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Pressure is gone, so the bats wake up.

Barring a Kansas City rally, it's over tonight.

Still, it is better to win than it is to lose. I won't be surprised if the Sox sweep these bums.

cleanwsox
10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Amazing how when the pressure is off.. 11 runs come across the board.

amsteel
10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
No pressure? No problem!

SI1020
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
What a lousy ending to a promising season, but I'm always happy like a kid when the Sox win. They obviously were really tight as a drum when it really counted.

ChiSoxGirl
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
What a lousy ending to a promising season, but I'm always happy like a kid when the Sox win. They obviously were really tight as a drum when it really counted.

I've cried over this team more in the last 24 hours than I have for any other Sox team dating back to 1989. :whiner: Yes, I cried over a baseball team. Cue making fun of ChiSoxGirl. I'm completely heartbroken. I can't even talk about the Sox with my students anymore when they bring them up because it hurts too much.

Scoring 11 runs tonight was like salt in an open wound. It took the Sox FOUR GAMES to score 11 runs prior to tonight. FOUR GAMES!!!! It's mind-boggling, maddening and heartbreaking all at once.

JB98 told me the other night that he thought the Sox would come out of their offensive slump when the pressure was gone. Well, the pressure came off with yesterday's loss and wouldn't you know, the bats came alive tonight.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Easy to hit when you're not squeezing the bat handle so tight it's turning to sawdust.

Still a win, nothing ever wrong with that, just far too late.

ChisoxGirl: I'd never make fun of a Sox fan who cared to that extent. Good for you that you give a damn to that degree. That's not teal or sarcastic. I appreciate your loyalty.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I'll take away from this one that we have another solid candidate for the rotation next season.

And I think Santiago would be ahead of Quintana. Well, at leas for me. Much better power stuff.

If only Kenny could work some Magic to get Danks off the books. Maybe eat 25% of that contract.

soxnut1018
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I have never been less excited by a White Sox grand slam than I was tonight.

JB98
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I'll take away from this one that we have another solid candidate for the rotation next season.

And I think Santiago would be ahead of Quintana. Well, at leas for me. Much better power stuff.

If only Kenny could work some Magic to get Danks off the books. Maybe eat 25% of that contract.

I'd like very much for the Sox to be in a situation where Santiago and Quintana were competing for the fifth and final rotation spot in the spring. That would mean the Sox have some depth. But, some work is going to have to be done this offseason to create such a scenario.

I don't think Danks will be traded. Three years left on a deal, coming off shoulder surgery. Hard contract to move. Cross your fingers and pray he somehow becomes the guy he was three or four years ago.

thomas35forever
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I have never been less excited after a White Sox blowout. That's what happens when you stop doing everything that put you in first place most of the season.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
11-0? Where the hell were these *******s the last 2 weeks?

doublem23
10-01-2012, 09:31 PM

I don't buy Santiago as a solid SP candidate as long as he walks too many people and that has been a problem all year. Quintana, too, gets in trouble with the walks, but that has mostly been a recent development from him. I think through August he was basically walking 1 batter per 9 IP. Neither has overpowering stuff, you can't live in this league as a soft tosser without command. I think Quintana's, when he's not being burned out, is better. But we shall see. Hopefully between the two of them, one can stick.

5.5 BB/9 IP for Santiago. 2.8 for Quintana. That's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUGE difference.

Tragg
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I'd like very much for the Sox to be in a situation where Santiago and Quintana were competing for the fifth and final rotation spot in the spring. That would mean the Sox have some depth. But, some work is going to have to be done this offseason to create such a scenario.

I don't think Danks will be traded. Three years left on a deal, coming off shoulder surgery. Hard contract to move. Cross your fingers and pray he somehow becomes the guy he was three or four years ago.

4/5ths of the rotation is settled as I can see - Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, right hander TBA

JB98
10-01-2012, 09:40 PM
4/5ths of the rotation is settled as I can see - Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, right hander TBA

That's a rebuilding year rotation right there. Maybe that's the direction the Sox need to go.

fisk4ever
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I've cried over this team more in the last 24 hours than I have for any other Sox team dating back to 1989. :whiner: Yes, I cried over a baseball team. Cue making fun of ChiSoxGirl. I'm completely heartbroken. I can't even talk about the Sox with my students anymore when they bring them up because it hurts too much.

I understand. There is crying in baseball. Heartbreak goes with the game.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Tragg:

Until Danks shows he can pitch he's a question mark. I don't think he's settled at all, that's why I suspect Floyd's option will be picked up. If the Sox fall off the map next year he can be moved at the deadline.

I see it right now as:

Sale
Quintana
Danks
Floyd
??????? (maybe Santiago, maybe Leesman, maybe a cheap free agent pitcher)

JB is right though, that a rotation that is looking to the future.

Lip

DumpJerry
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Just think what it would be like if our rotation had the following lefties (all healthy):
Danks
Sale
Buehrle

My dead grandmas could fill out the rotation and we'd still be a force to reckon with.....

Tragg
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
That's a rebuilding year rotation right there. Maybe that's the direction the Sox need to go.
It's rebuilding, but it's not Astros/Pirates/Royals rebuilding. There is one ace, one guy who can pitch like that if he gets it together. And honestly, Quintana was 3rd/4th on this 85 win team. Not that bad, depending on #5.

DickAllen72
10-01-2012, 09:54 PM
2013 starting rotation:

Sale
Peavy
Danks
Floyd
Quintana

JB98
10-01-2012, 10:00 PM
2013 starting rotation:

Sale
Peavy
Danks
Floyd
Quintana

This is not a rebuilding rotation. That rotation can contend, maybe even win, if some tweaks are made to the lineup.

SI1020
10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
ChisoxGirl: I'd never make fun of a Sox fan who cared to that extent. Good for you that you give a damn to that degree. That's not teal or sarcastic. I appreciate your loyalty.

Lip Same for me.

tstrike2000
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Not really a surprise that the Sox win in a laugher when it doesn't matter. Detroit about to clinch any moment now.

SoxSpeed22
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Figures.

DickAllen72
10-01-2012, 10:09 PM
This is not a rebuilding rotation. That rotation can contend, maybe even win, if some tweaks are made to the lineup.
Just add a third baseman and a second baseman. Beckham takes over the utility IF role strengthening the bench.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Peavy told Gonzo tonight that he's appreciative of everything the Sox did for him, that he tried his best and that he'd like to return.

But realistically with him having rebounded and pitched around 200 innings, someone is going to give him more than the Sox can or will.

Just can't see him coming back.

Lip

Tragg
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Sox have the option on him though.
It's a net $18 million, $1 mill more than we paid him this year. I doubt we'll pay it, but he's ours if we want him.

tstrike2000
10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Just add a third baseman and a second baseman. Beckham takes over the utility IF role strengthening the bench.

Beckham's offense is maddening, but we need him and Alexei up the middle. Starting pitching and being strong up the middle defensively helped keep this team in first place for most of the season. The bench is a huge a concern that will have to be addressed if enough guys are brought in to contend.

slavko
10-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Four LHP. Just might work. Peavy's not going to get $17M elsewhere because he's not the same pitcher he was when he signed that contract. Is it legal to buy him out and then sign him as a FA?

I enjoyed the game and I watched the whole damn thing. Save the winter sports for winter. 11 is a crooked number. Has me convinced the hitters were choking. The pitching I still think was out of gas, not choking.

Domeshot17
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I really, really hope Quintana is not in the rotation next year. Dude is not good. He had a nice little run, then the league saw him twice, and saw he does not throw hard, and his pitches don't move much, and that they can light him up.

Today was enjoyable, I Watched the bears, did not even bother me that much that Detroit clinched, hardly thought about the White Sox. Thats what this team drove me too, enjoying a night away. Bad team that overachieved, but we still choked the division title away. Its sad, but this team was not even really enjoyable. I loved watching Sale and Peavy pitch, but no one else was even a pleasure to watch.

I just really hope I never have to see several of these pants pissers in a Sox Jersey again.

Domeshot17
10-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Beckham's offense is maddening, but we need him and Alexei up the middle. Starting pitching and being strong up the middle defensively helped keep this team in first place for most of the season. The bench is a huge a concern that will have to be addressed if enough guys are brought in to contend.

The only way you can absorb a middle IF that offensively weak is to get an elite 3b hitter, upgrade LF offensively, and either count on Konerko bouncing back from injury, or upgrading over him.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I really, really hope Quintana is not in the rotation next year. Dude is not good. He had a nice little run, then the league saw him twice, and saw he does not throw hard, and his pitches don't move much, and that they can light him up.

Meh, I don't think anyone can really say for sure what caused Quintana's struggles as the season wound down, whether it was the league catching up to him, natural regression to the mean, or his arm wearing down during easily the most taxing season of his professional career.

We shall see.

Brian26
10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't buy Santiago as a solid SP candidate as long as he walks too many people and that has been a problem all year. Quintana, too, gets in trouble with the walks, but that has mostly been a recent development from him. I think through August he was basically walking 1 batter per 9 IP. Neither has overpowering stuff, you can't live in this league as a soft tosser without command. I think Quintana's, when he's not being burned out, is better. But we shall see. Hopefully between the two of them, one can stick.

5.5 BB/9 IP for Santiago. 2.8 for Quintana. That's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUGE difference.

Santiago was attacking the strike zone tonight. I know it's only one game, but maybe he's finally put it together. He was down in the count on a couple guys 3-0 and came back to strike them out.

Brian26
10-01-2012, 10:58 PM
2013 starting rotation:

Sale
Peavy
Danks
Floyd
Quintana

I doubt Peavy is coming back. Floyd, maybe.

Soxman219
10-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I know it's been said already, but where was this offense last week?:angry:

Brian26
10-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I enjoyed the game and I watched the whole damn thing. Save the winter sports for winter. 11 is a crooked number. Has me convinced the hitters were choking. The pitching I still think was out of gas, not choking.

Same here. Bears game is on DVR for later this week. Enjoy baseball while it's still here.

gaelhound
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I will be anxious for opening day as usual. But give me a few weeks. How about those Fighting Irish?

Tragg
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Santiago was attacking the strike zone tonight. I know it's only one game, but maybe he's finally put it together. He was down in the count on a couple guys 3-0 and came back to strike them out.

I think he's got the makeup to pitch. Remember, he closed a 1 run game in game 2, his first appearance, in Texas. Still impressed with that.
I hope he's in the rotation next season.

LoveYourSuit
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM

Santiago since getting spot starts has been impressive. His Ks per 9 while starting have been 9+. You strikeout people as a starting pitcher, you have a chance to pitch out of jams and mistakes.

I think the control issue is something Coop can work on with him.

slavko
10-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Same here. Bears game is on DVR for later this week. Enjoy baseball while it's still here.

If you're like me, use FF and 2XFF and watch it in 50 minutes.

Soxman219
10-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Just saw the Tigers clinching on Sportscenter. That could have been us.:(:

central44
10-01-2012, 11:13 PM
This win actually makes me feel even more disgusted with this team, if that's possible. It doesn't say much about your mental makeup when you break out of a slump as soon as the pressure is gone.

Soxman219
10-01-2012, 11:17 PM
This win actually makes me feel even more disgusted with this team, if that's possible. It doesn't say much about your mental makeup when you break out of a slump as soon as the pressure is gone.

It is possible, I felt the same way when I saw the Sox were up 7-0. Pressure free situation, the Sox bring out the bats. Even Hawk was pissed about this.

LoveYourSuit
10-01-2012, 11:25 PM
It is possible, I felt the same way when I saw the Sox were up 7-0. Pressure free situation, the Sox bring out the bats. Even Hawk was pissed about this.

And yet he probably fell out of the booth on the Viciedo GS call.

delben91
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Today was enjoyable, I Watched the bears, did not even bother me that much that Detroit clinched, hardly thought about the White Sox. Thats what this team drove me too, enjoying a night away. Bad team that overachieved, but we still choked the division title away. Its sad, but this team was not even really enjoyable. I loved watching Sale and Peavy pitch, but no one else was even a pleasure to watch.

I just really hope I never have to see several of these pants pissers in a Sox Jersey again.

So of the whole season you had zero moments of enjoyment that didn't involve Sale or Peavy starts?

Yowza, that's too bad.

I'm as bummed as the next fan about how this ended, but there were some really outstanding games this season and until the last two weeks I was really enjoying the ride.

Foulke You
10-02-2012, 12:36 AM

I don't see the Sox having 4 lefties in the rotation. 3 perhaps , but not 4. They do seem to be grooming Santiago to start. Perhaps they "sell high" on Quintana and deal him to fill other needs.

happydude
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Tonight's performance kind of repudiates the "out of gas" excuse a handful have been floating to explain the dead September bats doesn't it? The pressures off and, poof, the bats immediately come to life. Beating Cleveland down to close out the season will only make the choke that much more obvious; playing well now will just add salt to an open wound.

delben91
10-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Tonight's performance kind of repudiates the "out of gas" excuse a handful have been floating to explain the dead September bats doesn't it? The pressures off and, poof, the bats immediately come to life. Beating Cleveland down to close out the season will only make the choke that much more obvious; playing well now will just add salt to an open wound.

Yes, the Sox should make sure they lose the next two games so the fans can feel better.

Chez
10-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Glad they won. Glad I watched. I'm just glad all over.

Santiago looked great. I think his past control issues can partly be explained by the way Robin used him -- or didn't use him. There have been frequent stretches this season when Robin only used him once a week -- hard to stay sharp when you don't pitch regularly. I think he will be in the mix for a rotation spot next season -- he's got good stuff.

Unfortunately, I lost a bet to a friend who is a Tigers fan and am now wearing his Verlander jersey -- all day. At least I do not have to be in court today!

Domeshot17
10-02-2012, 08:19 AM
So of the whole season you had zero moments of enjoyment that didn't involve Sale or Peavy starts?

Yowza, that's too bad.

I'm as bummed as the next fan about how this ended, but there were some really outstanding games this season and until the last two weeks I was really enjoying the ride.

Sorry, I guess still more venting/anger then once thought haha. I enjoyed plenty of moments this year. But what I was saying was (and I should have included Rios with Sale and Peavy), not many guys really felt like they WANTED IT. AJ had such an amazing 3/4 of the season, and then he just felt like he fell apart down the stretch. Tank had a blistering run, then nothing. Beckham showed brief flashes that he had that first round potential, then would be dreadful for extended periods again. I never want to see Gavin Floyd in a Sox uniform again. Between getting shelled all the time, and needing repeat time off for injuries that no one could find beyond general soreness, come on. Thornton was up and down, Konerko I give a pass too for his wrist, but it just all adds up to a collection of guys who did not have exciting years. Thats what I was trying to say

guillensdisciple
10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Pressure is gone, so the bats wake up.

Barring a Kansas City rally, it's over tonight.

Still, it is better to win than it is to lose. I won't be surprised if the Sox sweep these bums.

This is typical Sox. Out of race and here comes the end of season sweep. Then brass will say we are basically there and we continue the endless cycle.

In the end, the team from Detroit took the division. This is on you Sox. All you had to do was go .500 or a little bit over and this division would have been yours. This win, and the next two will be meaningless, though I know you'll try to convince us otherwise.

Tragg
10-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't see the Sox having 4 lefties in the rotation. 3 perhaps , but not 4. They do seem to be grooming Santiago to start. Perhaps they "sell high" on Quintana and deal him to fill other needs.

You're probably right; they need to trade one of the guys but I doubt Quintana sells for much

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

+1.:cool:

Hitmen77
10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I have never been less excited after a White Sox blowout. That's what happens when you stop doing everything that put you in first place most of the season.

Yeah, I don't remember ever feeling so disgusted over a Sox blowout.

OCTOBER BASEBALL!! WOO! APPRECIATE THE GAME!

ChiSoxGal85
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately, I lost a bet to a friend who is a Tigers fan and am now wearing his Verlander jersey -- all day. At least I do not have to be in court today!

Ouch!!! :redface: I hope you can hide in an office or the bathroom most of the day.

SCCWS
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Tom Hanks said "there is no crying in baseball". Shows what the hell he knows.

BNLSox
10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Cue the 2012 White Sox appreciation thread.

11-0 win here is no more relevant than an 11-0 win in spring training. Glad the guys got at least one last win for those who are spending their last week in a Sox jersey, but that's about it.

SCCWS
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Four LHP. Just might work. Peavy's not going to get $17M elsewhere because he's not the same pitcher he was when he signed that contract. Is it legal to buy him out and then sign him as a FA?

So you think that basically a young pitching staff ran out of gas but did not choke. But the aging hitters like Youk, Dunn Paulie and AJ still had the gas but choked..................

SOXSINCE'70
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM

"Grantland Rice once said 'It's not whether you win or lose,it's how you play the game'.Well,Grantland Rice can go to Hell."

-Gene Mauch,after the Angels collapse of 1986

asindc
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm rarely disgusted after a win, but include me among those who feel such after this one. I didn't watch, but when I checked scores to see the Sox put up six more in the 9th, I almost felt mocked.

ChiSoxGal85
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
I rarely get to watch Monday games live due to a class, so I'm watching it now. Gotta say I love how fired up Santiago was in the 6th. I don't know if he knew about the White Sox strikeout record being at stake, but he sure acted like it. If he can put it together like this consistently and against better teams, I'd like to see him plugged into the starting rotation in 2013.

SI1020
10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
"Grantland Rice once said 'It's not whether you win or lose,it's how you play the game'.Well,Grantland Rice can go to Hell."

-Gene Mauch,after the Angels collapse of 1986 The unluckiest manager ever. His 64 Phillies did the biggest el foldo in baseball history.

kufram
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not convinced the sudden burst of offense is simply down to "the pressure being off". This team has been streaky all year. There were losing streaks before... was that due to mid-season pressure? It is inexplicable I know but for some reason this team was hot, then cold, then hot again. We didn't have time to repeat the cycle at the end.

Of course, people want to know why and who to blame.. fix it or else, yadda, yadda.

I think it was a bad case of luck with a little tiredness mixed in coming at exactly the wrong time and we didn't rebound in time. I'm not going to let it ruin what was actually a pretty enjoyable summer all things considered.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
The offense went in the tank in mid June / early July, 13 games or so. What happened the final two weeks wasn't new on the season.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I have never been less excited by a White Sox grand slam than I was tonight.

The one Hudson hit on Saturday once we were down 10-0 ranked right up there. Like I said in the postgame thread on Saturday, both the White Sox and Twins with "too little, too late grand slams" were the cherries on top of the **** sundae.

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Just saw the Tigers clinching on Sportscenter. That could have been us.:(:

That's been my point this entire past four weeks; it SHOULD have been us... the division was ours for the taking but we spun our wheels and pissed it away.

Medford Bobby
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Scoring 11 runs tonight was like salt in an open wound. It took the Sox FOUR GAMES to score 11 runs prior to tonight. FOUR GAMES!!!! It's mind-boggling, maddening and heartbreaking all at once.

JB98 told me the other night that he thought the Sox would come out of their offensive slump when the pressure was gone. Well, the pressure came off with yesterday's loss and wouldn't you know, the bats came alive tonight.
Same here...will take a while to digest the end of the season...especially since we had been in first for so long. Kept waiting for a huge 5 or 6 game winning streak but this team never showed any spark. They played so tight for a team expected not to be in first.

Look at the O's or A's, they played loose and actually had "fun" playing winning baseball. I wonder if you ask any White Sox player if they had any "fun" playing the last month or so......:whiner:

ChiSoxGirl
10-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Thanks for that. I truly believed in this team with all of my heart and they took that heart and broke it.

I got very defensive of them and Robin during those two weeks of hell. I always wanted to say something along the lines of, "Don't you dare talk about Robin and this ball club that way" around here when people would hate on them, but I held my tongue because I knew how outnumbered I'd be in my defense of them. As I said in my game report on Sunday, just once I wanted to be the one who was right about the Sox. They let me down and I'm devastated.

Feeling the way I have these last two days, I can't help but be reminded of Bart Giamatti's quote, "It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chilly rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

I understand. There is crying in baseball. Heartbreak goes with the game.

There sure is!

Right?!

Same here...will take a while to digest the end of the season...especially since we had been in first for so long. Kept waiting for a huge 5 or 6 game winning streak but this team never showed any spark. They played so tight for a team expected not to be in first.

Look at the O's or A's, they played loose and actually had "fun" playing winning baseball. I wonder if you ask any White Sox player if they had any "fun" playing the last month or so......:whiner:

I think that's why I'm so heartbroken over this collapse; we were in first place for over 120 days. That division championship that the Tigers celebrated last night, which I have refused to watch any clips of, was ours. I will root for whomever the Tigers play until they're knocked out (in addition to the Orioles and Cardinals).

To this moment, I can't understand why the Sox felt the pressure that they did down the stretch. They were the ones in first place by three games, not Detroit. They weren't the ones chasing the division leader, they were the division leader! The pressure came off after Sunday's loss and look what they've done the last two nights, specifically last night - clutch hitting, not relying on the home run and stringing together multiple hits. It's mind-boggling, frustrating and devastating all at the same time. Sigh! It's going to take awhile to get over this. :(: