PDA

View Full Version : *Down to the Wire*: AL East/West/WC race thread.

SephClone89
09-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Don't look now, but Oakland got two huge homers from Cespedes and Reddick in the bottom of the 8th, bringing them 1.5 games behind the Rangers.

Texas is currently playing the second game of a doubleheader against the Angels, and are down 4-3 early. Texas ends the season with a three game set at...Oakland. And the Angels are only two games back in the wild card, too.

Baltimore and New York are still tied for first--Orioles go to Tampa for the last series of the year, though, whereas the Yankees host Boston.

Looks like we could see at least one tiebreaker on Thursday to determine who wins the division and who is subjected to the play-in game.

SOXSINCE'70
09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
The sad part: the White Sox won't be playing any of those games.:(:

SephClone89
10-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Pretty good and easy to read guide to the AL playoff possibilities here (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/guide-american-league-playoff-possibilities-041141111--mlb.html;_ylt=AkRzWSslcyap0dq02PzvBDzsYcp_;_ylu=X3 oDMTFja3NwYTFmBG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQRzZWMD TWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXhUZW1w;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBH B0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3).

PorkChopExpress
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
One thing I hadn't realized in all of this is that Jim Thome is on the Orioles. I mean, I knew he was, but I had forgotten. Anyway, maybe this is finally Thome's chance to get that ring. The O's are playing solid baseball right now. Since the Sox appear to be on the verge of elimination, at least that will give me something to watch for in the playoffs.

ChiSoxGal85
10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
One thing I hadn't realized in all of this is that Jim Thome is on the Orioles. I mean, I knew he was, but I had forgotten. Anyway, maybe this is finally Thome's chance to get that ring. The O's are playing solid baseball right now. Since the Sox appear to be on the verge of elimination, at least that will give me something to watch for in the playoffs.

Yeah, Thome was on the DL for quite a while and just came back recently. I'll be rooting for the Orioles myself as I'd like to see Big Jim get that ring.

DSpivack
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
James Shields set a franchise record with 15 K's, but the O's Miguel Gonzalez was better and Baltimore survived 1-0. There was hope for them in the Bronx, but Boston blew a 3-1 lead in the 9th and the Yankees won in extras, 4-3. New York will take a one-game lead into the final day.

Out west, the Rangers and A's are directly fighting for the AL West. Oakland cut the lead down to 1 game last night in a 4-3 win, as the team celebrated on the field when they clinched a playoff spot. They just took a 2-1 lead in the 5th inning; if they prevail tonight the division will be tied.

palehozenychicty
10-02-2012, 10:52 PM
James Shields set a franchise record with 15 K's, but the O's Miguel Gonzalez was better and Baltimore survived 1-0. There was hope for them in the Bronx, but Boston blew a 3-1 lead in the 9th and the Yankees won in extras, 4-3. New York will take a one-game lead into the final day.

Out west, the Rangers and A's are directly fighting for the AL West. Oakland cut the lead down to 1 game last night in a 4-3 win, as the team celebrated on the field when they clinched a playoff spot. They just took a 2-1 lead in the 5th inning; if they prevail tonight the division will be tied.

The A's making the playoffs is truly incredible. They could win the division tomorrow if they pull it out tonight! Wow!

I will give Billy Beane credit if this team can win that division.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2012, 11:55 PM
MLB could be look at ties for the AL East, AL West and NL Wild Card. This almost as exciting as last year was.

LoveYourSuit
10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
The A's making the playoffs is truly incredible. They could win the division tomorrow if they pull it out tonight! Wow!

I will give Billy Beane credit if this team can win that division.

Strongest Division in baseball and for them to come out on top would be amazing. Injuries, Bartolo suspended, wow!

TDog
10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
MLB could be look at ties for the AL East, AL West and NL Wild Card. This almost as exciting as last year was.

The American League couldn't have worked out better for baseball unless the Sox had picked it up and managed to tie Tigers at the end. As it is,the postseason teams are set, and the games are just setting up who goes into what amounts to a singel-elimination losers' bracket. A series of playoff games to get to the postseason, even get to the play-in game to get to the postseason, is the ultimate way to end the six-month regular season.

The A's and Rangers are playing in what amounts to a playoff game with the loser going into single-elimination. A playoff game between the Orioles and Yankees with the losing facing a single elimination game would end the season with three playoff games before the division series begin.

By contrast, the only race in the National League for weeks has been for the second wild card play-in berth, and that was settled in Game 161 with the new NL money team losing and being eliminated. The American League finish is what baseball would like to see every year.

I would love to see the wild card play-in game come down to the Yankees and Rangers, two teams that were expected to easily win their respective divisions, although the Red Sox and Angels were supposed to be in the mix. Sadly, one of them would win. I've come to hate the Yankees and Rangers and even the Tigers more than the A's, and that is saying a lot. And I don't like the Orioles. Unfortunately, one of those teams is going to get to the World Series.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 03:00 PM
With two runners on, Brandon Moss singles to RF giving the A's a 1-0 lead in the 1st.

thomas35forever
10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Rangers have put a 5-spot on the board in the 3rd and knocked Griffin out. Talk about seizing the momentum. A's better pray for a miracle.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Rangers have put a 5-spot on the board in the 3rd and knocked Griffin out. Talk about seizing the momentum. A's better pray for a miracle.

A miracle happened there, I suppose you could say. Coco Crisp double down the line ties it with two out in the 4th, after Derek Holland comes on in relief for Texas.

harwar
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
A's just tied it up .. what a game

harwar
10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
OMG what was Hamilton thinking

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs for Cespedes. Looked like a routine fly ball to CF...except Josh Hamilton whiffed at the catch. 7-5 Oakland.

EDIT: What a game, indeed. Hard to believe it's only the 4th inning.

EDIT II: Misplay on a ball up the middle (not an error I don't think, just glanced off of Andrus' glove as he was diving for it) and it's 8-5 Oakland after 5.

JB98
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
A miracle happened there, I suppose you could say. Coco Crisp double down the line ties it with two out in the 4th, after Derek Holland comes on in relief for Texas.

No miracle, really. Ryan Dempster might have been the Cubs ace, but he's just a No. 4 or No. 5 guy on a contending AL team. He's just not as good as many Chicago folk made him out to be. Even some Sox fans were fooled, wanting KW to acquire Dempster at the deadline.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 05:30 PM
No miracle, really. Ryan Dempster might have been the Cubs ace, but he's just a No. 4 or No. 5 guy on a contending AL team. He's just not as good as many Chicago folk made him out to be. Even some Sox fans were fooled, wanting KW to acquire Dempster at the deadline.

Oh, I know, was just riffing off of the post I quoted.

Still an exciting game. Crazy finish in the AL West; per Elias, no team has ever had this big of a comeback with so few games remaining.

They were down 5 games with 9 to play; HR just put the score at exactly that, 9-5, somewhat ironically.

TDog
10-03-2012, 05:33 PM

The miracle was what happened after Demster left with Mr. Everything, waling-on-water Josh Hamilton forsaking the Rangers. I wonder what vice he will blame for his poor play today.

But Hamilton will sign for more money than Demster during the offseason.

harwar
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Crazy finish in the AL West; per Elias, no team has ever had this big of a comeback with so few games remainin

Yea, and if they win today it will be their only game in first place ..

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Wow! Didn't realize that.

Brandon Moss breaks it wide open with a bases-clearing double. 12-5 Oakland and they're 3 outs away from the AL West title.

thomas35forever
10-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Didn't that happen to the 2006 Twins?

harwar
10-03-2012, 05:49 PM

the A's broadcast team said it has only happened twice before .. once the Giants in 51 and some other team in 1901 i think he said

harwar
10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
The Rangers picked a bad time to go on a skid .. they have really been struggling lately ..

dwitt76
10-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Correct

soxnut1018
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I love baseball.

thomas35forever
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Bob Melvin just won AL Manager of the Year.

harwar
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
That was fun .. now have to go watch the White Sox and hope that could be them next year ..

cub killer
10-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Only 5 times in baseball history has a team come back from 13 games out to win the division or pennant. Wow. Congrats to the A's, who may have the lowest payroll in all of baseball. Now, hopefully they will open that upper deck. It hurts to see baseball fall so much in Oaktown, that the UD gets tarped.

The 2007 Rockies approve of this late season surge.

And now to root on the Yankees. Go Yanks! I don't want a situation where the best record in the AL does NOT get the #1 seed.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Correct

The Twins tied the division with 4 games to go, and won it alone on the last day. Thus, they were tied in first place for 3 games. That said, the A's were tied after yesterday's game, as well.

TDog
10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Only 5 times in baseball history has a team come back from 13 games out to win the division or pennant. Wow. Congrats to the A's, who may have the lowest payroll in all of baseball. Now, hopefully they will open that upper deck. It hurts to see baseball fall so much in Oaktown, that the UD gets tarped.

The 2007 Rockies approve of this late season surge.

And now to root on the Yankees. Go Yanks! I don't want a situation where the best record in the AL does NOT get the #1 seed.

I am a supporter of Yankees failure. Seeding could be determined randomly for all I care.

I find "go Yankees" a repulsive concept.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Texas seems to be gaining a knack for falling apart at the wrong time. With their talent, this is inexcusable.

doublem23
10-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Look at his numbers since going to Texas, he ultimately would have been more effective than Liriano

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
The Rays are up 2-0 on the O's, but the Yankees are making it a moot point as they've put up 5 runs on Daisuke and lead 5-1.

SephClone89
10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Look at his numbers since going to Texas, he ultimately would have been more effective than Liriano

Yes, but far more expensive.

JB98
10-03-2012, 07:38 PM

I wasn't in love with the Liriano acquisition either.

Dempster has allowed 100 baserunners, including 10 home runs, in 69 innings with Texas.

Liriano has allowed 89 baserunners (7 HRs) in 56 2/3 innings with the Sox.

They both have SUCKED.

Liriano was probably a better gamble because A) The price was less and B) At one point in time, he had enough stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation guy in the American League.

Obviously, that acquisition did not work for the Sox. But, frankly, I think Gavin Floyd is a better pitcher than Ryan Dempster. That's lost on a lot of Chicagoans because Dempster looks pretty good when he's going up against weak NL lineups.

No way in hell I would have given up anything more than a bag of balls for Dempster, which is basically what KW gave up for Liriano.

cub killer
10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I am a supporter of Yankees failure. Seeding could be determined randomly for all I care.

I find "go Yankees" a repulsive concept.
lol. Go New York Yankees! Win another division title tonight!

I just find it irresponsible of MLB to wait 16 years until they would address game 163's effect on seeding. I've looked for contingency plans in seasons past, but found nothing. Then finally today, Ken Rosenthal said 163 would count towards it. Then hours later, he switched and said it wouldn't.

It's ridiculous, IMO, that they never made the info public. Bloggers were scrambling left and right trying to find out what the rules were. And I don't like the fact that game 163 counts as a regular season game in all aspects, except for seeding. Then why bother including it in reg season records, they might as well make it a playoff game.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM

I just find it irresponsible of MLB to wait 16 years until they would address game 163's effect on seeding. I've looked for contingency plans in seasons past, but found nothing. Then finally today, Ken Rosenthal said 163 would count towards it. Then hours later, he switched and said it wouldn't.

It's ridiculous, IMO, that they never made the info public. Bloggers were scrambling left and right trying to find out what the rules were. And I don't like the fact that game 163 counts as a regular season game in all aspects, except for seeding. Then why bother including it in reg season records, they might as well make it a playoff game.

That is all looking like a moot point this year, as Robinson Cano has hit 2 2-run HRs and the Yankees smacked Daisuke in his final start in a Red Sox uniform. NYY leads 7-1.

Baltimore is trailing the Rays 3-0 in St. Pete. It looks like the only question there is where the O's will be playing the Wild Card game. If they win, they will host the Rangers. If they lose, they will travel to Texas.

cub killer
10-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Ah, so instead of catching a flight tomorrow morning from DFW to Baltimore, the Rangers can relax at home, and get a practice in. After they return to Arlington tonight.

And I guess the Orioles will travel from Tampa to Arlington late tonight after the game. They'll have the prime time game on Friday, Stl-Atl will be the early matchup.

Hitmen77
10-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Oh, I know, was just riffing off of the post I quoted.

Still an exciting game. Crazy finish in the AL West; per Elias, no team has ever had this big of a comeback with so few games remaining.

They were down 5 games with 9 to play; HR just put the score at exactly that, 9-5, somewhat ironically.

Good for them. They're the opposite of the 2009-12 White Sox by coming on strong at the end instead of collapsing at the end.

The A's first division title since 2006. They actually finished 1st or 2nd every year between 1999 and 2006. Their worst record in that stretch was 88 wins. After 2006, they haven't been between 74 and 81 wins.

Maybe someday they'll get a new stadium and they can start drawing more fans.

tstrike2000
10-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Moneyball 2: Electric Boogaloo.

DSpivack
10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Good for them. They're the opposite of the 2009-12 White Sox by coming on strong at the end instead of collapsing at the end.

The A's first division title since 2006. They actually finished 1st or 2nd every year between 1999 and 2006. Their worst record in that stretch was 88 wins. After 2006, they haven't been between 74 and 81 wins.

Maybe someday they'll get a new stadium and they can start drawing more fans.

I've read that Selig is sitting on a report on the area restrictions the A's are seeking to change so they can move into the Giants' territory.

TDog
10-04-2012, 12:05 PM

In baseball, seeding is a silly thing to be concerned with. Teams play wildly different schedules, and some teams match up better against teams with better records. Hypothetically, if the White Sox were in the postseason, they would match up better against the Yankees than against the A's. Seeding by wins and losses for most teams in most years might as well be random.

This isn't football, where I am guessing every team plays pretty much the same schedule and win-loss record is due to a team's success with nothing to do with some teams having easier or more difficult schedules.

DSpivack
10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
In baseball, seeding is a silly thing to be concerned with. Teams play wildly different schedules, and some teams match up better against teams with better records. Hypothetically, if the White Sox were in the postseason, they would match up better against the Yankees than against the A's. Seeding by wins and losses for most teams in most years might as well be random.

This isn't football, where I am guessing every team plays pretty much the same schedule and win-loss record is due to a team's success with nothing to do with some teams having easier or more difficult schedules.

This is basically true, although 2 games are determined by your finish in the previous season:

There are 6 games within your division (4 teams per division).
There are 4 games shared with your divisional opponents against a division from the opposite conference (rotating each 4 years as there are 8 NFL divisions).
There are 4 games shared with your divisional opponents against teams from another division within your conference (rotating every 3 years, as there are 3 other divisions within the conference).
That leaves just 2 games determined by finish: you play teams from the other 2 divisions in your conference (not yours, not the one you were already scheduled to play), who finished in the same position you did in the previous season (you finish 3rd, you play a 3rd place team from the previous season).

doublem23
10-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Wow this could literally not be any more wrong. NFL teams play a 16-game schedule so with the annual home-and-home series with divisional opponents, you only play 13 teams in a league of 32. Schedule difficulty varies widely in football, much moreso than baseball where at least every team plays every other in its own league.

Maybe try not to comment on subjects you are clearly ignorant on.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
...much moreso than verbal where at let every team plays every other in its own league.I'm guessing auto-correct made a shambles of that?

doublem23
10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I wasn't in love with the Liriano acquisition either.

Dempster has allowed 100 baserunners, including 10 home runs, in 69 innings with Texas.

Liriano has allowed 89 baserunners (7 HRs) in 56 2/3 innings with the Sox.

They both have SUCKED.

Liriano was probably a better gamble because A) The price was less and B) At one point in time, he had enough stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation guy in the American League.

Obviously, that acquisition did not work for the Sox. But, frankly, I think Gavin Floyd is a better pitcher than Ryan Dempster. That's lost on a lot of Chicagoans because Dempster looks pretty good when he's going up against weak NL lineups.

No way in hell I would have given up anything more than a bag of balls for Dempster, which is basically what KW gave up for Liriano.

Dempster's stats are padded by a couple of rough starts out of the gate with Texas but I believe for most of the lay two months he's been both consistent and good.

doublem23
10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing auto-correct made a shambles of that?

Ugh, wow.

DSpivack
10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Wow this could literally not be any more wrong. NFL teams play a 16-game schedule so with the annual home-and-home series with divisional opponents, you only play 13 teams in a league of 32. Schedule difficulty varies widely in football, much moreso than baseball where at least every team plays every other in its own league.

Maybe try not to comment on subjects you are clearly ignorant on.

Between divisions, yes. Within divisions, no. I don't really see a huge difference.

doublem23
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Between divisions, yes. Within divisions, no. I don't really see a huge difference.

But most of the playoff seeing is done with teams outside one's division

The Beats and any members of the East and South divisions (1/2 the NFC) could only have 2-3 common opponents.

JB98
10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Dempster's stats are padded by a couple of rough starts out of the gate with Texas but I believe for most of the lay two months he's been both consistent and good.

He won five starts in a row at one point, but four of the five were against the AL Central dregs. He was bad, then good, then back to bad again.

In other words, he's a back-end guy in the American League.

cub killer
10-04-2012, 07:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/10/04/athletics-win-al-west/index.html#ixzz28LNdfkJb

You may not know it, but you are an Oakland Athletics fan. You are an Athletics fan because you are a baseball fan, and being a baseball fan means you believe desire is worth more than payroll.
You believe where you sit on your couch influences the baseball gods.
You believe in next year like you believe in your next breath.
You believe you would play this game for nothing and so you believe in those who look like they really do.
You believe the best seats in the house come with peanut shells around your feet, not a moat, a members-only restaurant and a $15 glass of petite sirah.