PDA

View Full Version : Hawk has gone off the deep end!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 03:50 PM
I swear I've never heard anything so silly in my life. I am watching the Sox post game show as I'm writing this & Hawk just tried to compare Royce Clayton to Cal Ripken. In addition, he said that "Nobody catches the baseball better than Royce Clayton." Has this man lost his mind???

LMAO!!!!!!

seventytwo
07-28-2002, 03:59 PM
Jeez, I'm glad somebody else heard that!

I thought I was having one of my "episodes."

HootieMcBoob
07-28-2002, 05:04 PM
I saw it too... Hawk said:
"Royce, you remind me a lot of Cal Ripken, except you have a lot more speed!"

And when Hawk made the Ripken comment, Royce's eyes got big like, "WTH is this guy talking about??" Hopefully this won't go to his head... It was pretty funny.

SOXSINCE'70
07-28-2002, 05:22 PM
I was at the game,so I missed the PG show.

Is Harrelson doing bad acid?? Sure sounds like it.
"Noone catches the ball better than Clayton"??

Here are 3 guys who MIGHT,i mean just might,be better:

Vizquel,Paywad (A-Rod) and Nomah (Nomar with a New England accent).

:sellreinsy

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,PLEASE!!

Ol Aches & Pains
07-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

"Royce, you remind me a lot of Cal Ripken..."

As Tom Paciorek would say, they both have two arms, two legs and a head.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
I swear I've never heard anything so silly in my life. I am watching the Sox post game show as I'm writing this & Hawk just tried to compare Royce Clayton to Cal Ripken. In addition, he said that "Nobody catches the baseball better than Royce Clayton." Has this man lost his mind???

LMAO!!!!!!

This is definitely "Who You Crappin?" material!

Heather the Redbird

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
I was at the game,so I missed the PG show.

Is Harrelson doing bad acid?? Sure sounds like it.
"Noone catches the ball better than Clayton"??

Here are 3 guys who MIGHT,i mean just might,be better:

Vizquel,Paywad (A-Rod) and Nomah (Nomar with a New England accent).

:sellreinsy

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,PLEASE!!

Roycie's specialty is catching balls that are hit right to him. He very seldom makes an effort to get balls that are hit even a little ways away from him. When Valentin was at short he'd range big time to get a shot in the hole or up the middle. Yeah he'd make an error sometimes, but more often than not he'd make the play saving countless baserunners by actually getting there.

TornLabrum
07-28-2002, 06:37 PM

Roycie's specialty is catching balls that are hit right to him. He very seldom makes an effort to get balls that are hit even a little ways away from him. When Valentin was at short he'd range big time to get a shot in the hole or up the middle. Yeah he'd make an error sometimes, but more often than not he'd make the play saving countless baserunners by actually getting there.

So can I quote you as saying, "Royce does the 'Ole!' play better than anyone? :D:

ISUSoxfan
07-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Royce reminds me of Ripken too, in the early 90s after he lost his range and went through prolonged slumps.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-28-2002, 07:27 PM
i was at the game too, so i didn't get to see this. I like Hawk and all but he's just a suck up to the players and the management. You gotta admit though that royce was hitting pretty well today. 15th multi-hit game for royce this year !!!!!!

Mathew
07-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i was at the game too, so i didn't get to see this. I like Hawk and all but he's just a suck up to the players and the management. You gotta admit though that royce was hitting pretty well today. 15th multi-hit game for royce this year !!!!!!

To go with how many 0 hit multi strike out games?

duke of dorwood
07-28-2002, 10:15 PM
He shouldnt be playing. I'd like to see Harris working with the shortstop of next year right now-be that Jose, or someone from the minors.

ISUSoxfan
07-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He shouldnt be playing. I'd like to see Harris working with the shortstop of next year right now-be that Jose, or someone from the minors.
Great idea...which is why they won't do it.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2002, 01:50 AM
*Heavy sigh*

Okay, here I go again. I am not a Clayton fan, but he is a solid defensive shortstop. When Hawk made the comment comparing him to Ripken, I, too, was shocked at first, but he clarified the comment by saying he was talking about how he positions himself on each hitter so that he is often right where the ball is hit.

You guys keep deluding yourselves that Valentin is a better defensive shortstop. Absolutely no one outside of Chicago agrees with you, and Chicago fans have become obsessive about Royce.

If Royce is gone next year, I won't shed a tear. I figure he will be. But if that means we have to put up with Valentin's defense again, I'll be very upset. Shortstop is a defensive position. Period. If you get a great offensive player who is also solid at defense, it's a bonus, but the defense is the first consideration.

KingXerxes
07-29-2002, 10:30 AM
:hawk

"Yessir.............Mercy............The more I watch this team, the more I am able to tap into the vastness of my superior baseball knowledge and draw comparisons between the present White Sox roster, and players of the past. Now y'all keep in mind that I will do so in a way that could never be refuted or verified so you're all gonna have to take my word for it."

:DJ

"Well what are your comparisons?"

"Now the way Sandy Alomar Jr. sets up behind the plate, and handles in the dirt inside pitches to right handed hitters, well he reminds me of Ol' Mickey Cochrane of the Philadelphia Phillies."

"Mickey Cochrane played for the Philadelphia Athletics."

"I love it when you analyze DeeJay, but I hate it when you interrupt me. Anyway if you ever take a good look at the way Paulie Konerko stands with his glove ready when the pitch is being thrown, well heck he reminds me of a young Bill Terry. Now Ol' Willie at second just brings to mind Rogers Hornsby in the way he runs to back up the catcher's return throw to the pitcher and we've got Cal Ripken at short. The way Jose Valentin charges a bunt during the wheel play will remind anybody possessing my vast baseball knowledge of Mike Schmidt, and the outfield and the way they toss the ball around during warm-ups can only bring to mind Willie Mays, Babe Ruth and Roberto Clemente. Mercy sakes alive what a line-up we've got here Sox fans - Bill Terry, Rodgers Hornsby, Cal Ripken, Mike Schmidt, Ruth, Mays, Clemente and that Ol' Phillie Mickey Cochrane - DeeJay we're really gonna put the hurt to some people this year."

".................................................. ."

"Yessir - we've got quite a team if you look at certain aspects of it."

".................................................. ......"

"Mercy."

soxrme
07-29-2002, 10:58 AM
I agree with Nellie. Jose is not a good defensive shortstop. As bad as Clayton hits he at least does not make many errors. But he is way overrated in the field. Where are our scouts?? Did anyone hear the Jonathan Hood show where he was talking about Ozzie Smith being the best fielding shortstop of all time? I guess he is too young to remember Louie Aparicio, but NOBODY
went to his right better than Louie and NOBODY was a better fielding shortstop than him.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-29-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
*Heavy sigh*

Okay, here I go again. I am not a Clayton fan, but he is a solid defensive shortstop. When Hawk made the comment comparing him to Ripken, I, too, was shocked at first, but he clarified the comment by saying he was talking about how he positions himself on each hitter so that he is often right where the ball is hit.

You guys keep deluding yourselves that Valentin is a better defensive shortstop. Absolutely no one outside of Chicago agrees with you, and Chicago fans have become obsessive about Royce.

If Royce is gone next year, I won't shed a tear. I figure he will be. But if that means we have to put up with Valentin's defense again, I'll be very upset. Shortstop is a defensive position. Period. If you get a great offensive player who is also solid at defense, it's a bonus, but the defense is the first consideration.

Royce a better defensive player??? BULL****! Royce is just about the worst shortstop I've ever seen. Don't give me that crap about how great his fielding percentage is either. He has a high percentage because he gets all the stuff hit right at him, but he makes ZERO effort to get anything that is up the middle or in the hole. CHOICE has no range, no arm, no heart and no balls.

I'll take a few more errors from Valentin any day of the week. I can live with them because I know that with his effort he's going to more than make up for it with some super plays that Roycie could only dream about. All that PLUS he's a better hitter.

Paulwny
07-29-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
I agree with Nellie. Jose is not a good defensive shortstop. As bad as Clayton hits he at least does not make many errors. But he is way overrated in the field. Where are our scouts?? Did anyone hear the Jonathan Hood show where he was talking about Ozzie Smith being the best fielding shortstop of all time? I guess he is too young to remember Louie Aparicio, but NOBODY
went to his right better than Louie and NOBODY was a better fielding shortstop than him.

From an article by Tom Timmermann, St. Louis Post Dispatch 7/27/02

Jerome Holtzman, a longtime baseball writer who now serves as Major League Baseball's historian, feels the key to ranking shortstops is with an emphasis on defense and he supports a different candidate: Luis Aparicio.

"Aparicio was better than Ozzie Smith," Holtzman said. "He was an offensive player (a .262 average) who stole a lot of bases. He could have stolen 100 bases, but in those days, you didn't steal."

Aparicio, who was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1984, stole more than 50 bases four times in his career.

"I was at spring training in Sarasota with the White Sox one year, and Donie Bush, who played with Ty Cobb and Wagner, came into the press room," Holtzman recalled. "He said that Aparicio was better than anyone he ever saw. I said, "Better than Wagner?' He said, "Better than Wagner.' "

ChiWhiteS0XFan
07-29-2002, 04:42 PM

Royce a better defensive player??? BULL****! Royce is just about the worst shortstop I've ever seen. Don't give me that crap about how great his fielding percentage is either. He has a high percentage because he gets all the stuff hit right at him, but he makes ZERO effort to get anything that is up the middle or in the hole. CHOICE has no range, no arm, no heart and no balls.

I'll take a few more errors from Valentin any day of the week. I can live with them because I know that with his effort he's going to more than make up for it with some super plays that Roycie could only dream about. All that PLUS he's a better hitter.

sorry man...i think your wrong...Royce is not one of the worst short stops...hes actually 1 of the best...id say between top 8 for sure...

and makes no effort up the middle?...ummm he did save the game for us against minnesota few nights ago when we were up 2 with runners on 2nd and 3rd when he dove up the middle and got the 2nd out at first and stoped the runner at second from scoring....pretty nice play in my book.