PDA

View Full Version : What Stage Are You In Today?

Madvora
09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
What Stage Are You In Today?

ChiSoxFann
09-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Acceptance for me. I was sure we could finish this thing off after that makeup game against the Tigers. I did get angry at that 1-5 road trip (I was sure we'd win at least one in LA). Losing 2 of 3 to Cleveland sealed it for me and I've accepted our fate in 2nd place.

JasonFrasor54
09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
We've been getting by lately because of the Tigers losing and now that has caught up with the Sox. Its been a while since the The White Sox have played consistent good baseball. So I have dealt with it.

In my opinion last Bulls season was the biggest sports depression of my life. This by no means to me is that. I'm disappointed that I may not be going to any whitesox playoff games but it has not been snatched away from us in a blink of an eye like Derrick Rose's ACL. That in my opinion is a more painful way to end a season.

This has been a downhill slide, and now we're are just waiting for the ship to sink all the way.

Having said all that Go Sox, I'll be happy if a miracle happens.

robertks61
09-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I'll be there tonight hoping for a win and drinking a few cold ones. Hope they win this thing but accepting the fact it will be hard.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Acceptance. They are probably done but if a miracle happens...great.

They have only themselves to blame again.

Lip

dwalteroo
09-28-2012, 01:13 PM
All of these.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm angry but I am close to acceptance.

LoveYourSuit
09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Acceptance for me. I was sure we could finish this thing off after that makeup game against the Tigers. I did get angry at that 1-5 road trip (I was sure we'd win at least one in LA). Losing 2 of 3 to Cleveland sealed it for me and I've accepted our fate in 2nd place.

To me after winning 5 straight and then Chris Sale losing to Bruce Chen 3-0 on game 2 of that KC series. Knowing the difficult schedule ahead of us with the Angels and Tampa, losing that series was a back-breaker and gave the Tigers life IMO.

LoveYourSuit
09-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Acceptance. They are probably done but if a miracle happens...great.

They have only themselves to blame again.

Lip

Exactly true.

As I said yesterday, I find it comical that some of our fans go on the **** you KC rants, **** you Minnesota, **** you anyone who does not beat the Tigers.

How about we just say **** You to the White Sox?

QueerGirrl
09-28-2012, 01:25 PM
i'm angry but i am close to acceptance.

+1

how about we just say **** you to the white sox?

+1

JB98
09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Depressed. I'll move on to acceptance once the Sox are mathematically eliminated.

Still going to the game tonight. Hoping for a win, but not expecting anything good to happen at this point.

doublem23
09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Exactly true.

As I said yesterday, I find it comical that some of our fans go on the **** you KC rants, **** you Minnesota, **** you anyone who does not beat the Tigers.

How about we just say **** You to the White Sox?

I don't see why we can't do both

MushMouth
09-28-2012, 01:55 PM
bargaining

"maybe, just maybe if I go to the game tonight and tomorrow we can pull this off? I promise I'll go to more games next year!"

bunkaroo
09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
At this point I'm just bummed to lose it this late in the season. Given the way they've looked in September I wouldn't have expected a much better showing in the playoffs than in 2008. Just would have been nice to take the division.

Now I'm just going to go Sunday to the final home game like I do every season, enjoy what might be AJ's last home game in a Sox uniform, and maybe, just maybe complete my perfect attendance record at 11-0.

LITTLE NELL
09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Acceptance, this team will finish what I predicted they would. Our inability to beat KC and Detroit told me that this team is just not a playoff team. It was a nice run and the strange thing is how tough we played the 2 top teams in the AL, the Rangers and Yankees but struggled against Detroit, KC, Boston and the Orioles. Our record against NL teams should have also been better. The fans for whatever reason never embraced this team as attendance will fall short of 2 million.
All that being said, until we are eliminated, anything can happen.

BigKlu59
09-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Acceptance....the old saying.. It is what it is... They can still flip the '"IT". "Winning".. It can still be done, but by the looks of things, when the going gets tough these guys have come up short over the last couple of weeks. The only thing thats left is Providence and that one last push that gets them out of this pit..There's always tomorrow and those tomorrow's can turn into another month of winning baseball.

BK59

shingo10
09-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Denial!

It's not over. In a few hours we could be one game out of first place with 5 to play.

sox1970
09-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I've been at acceptance for quite some time. The better team wins out over 162.

Madvora
09-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I also got the acceptance point in 2008 too. I couldn't stand watching that team. It really screwed with my head when they ended up tied for the division.

Zakath
09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I said at the end of the road trip that the winner of the Central would be the team who did a worse job at handing the other the division. We've pretty much gift-wrapped it for a team that's going to get stomped into the turf in the playoffs.

sox1970
09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I also got the acceptance point in 2008 too. I couldn't stand watching that team. It really screwed with my head when they ended up tied for the division.

That's how I feel about the 08 team too. The end was exciting, and the Blackout Game is the best game I've ever been to, but a lot of that season was an awful brand of baseball.

amsteel
09-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Hungry and little bit sleepy

kobo
09-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Denial. **** it, I've stayed pretty positive, might as well keep deluding myself. Going tomorrow and will have a blast because I am going with a nice group of friends, the weather is supposed to be perfect, and I just plan on getting hammered. Will move to acceptance if they lose tonight and tomorrow though.

Golden Sox
09-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm disappointed how this seems to be turning out.Maybe a miracle will occur this next week, and I certainly hope so. But if a miracle doesn't occur I will be disappointed in this season. As far as I'm concerned if the team makes the playoffs it's a successful season. Whatever happens in the playoffs happens. The opportunity of getting into the playoffs doesn't seem to occur every year if you're a White Sox fan. I think it speaks volumes about this franchise that the White Sox have never been in the playoffs two years in a row in their entire history. When you have the opportunity to get into the playoffs like we did this year you have to succeed. These opportunities never seem to be a yearly event. I'm even more disappointed now, I received my 2012 Playoff Tickets in the mail today.

thomas35forever
09-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Depression. All I can do now is lament on how quickly it went to Hell.

white sox bill
09-28-2012, 04:12 PM
I voted acceptance, I really have much larger fish to fry in my life. In pretty good spirits considering. I hold on to about 5% hope

keloms
09-28-2012, 04:18 PM
We've been getting by lately because of the Tigers losing and now that has caught up with the Sox. Its been a while since the The White Sox have played consistent good baseball. So I have dealt with it.

In my opinion last Bulls season was the biggest sports depression of my life. This by no means to me is that. I'm disappointed that I may not be going to any whitesox playoff games but it has not been snatched away from us in a blink of an eye like Derrick Rose's ACL. That in my opinion is a more painful way to end a season.

This has been a downhill slide, and now we're are just waiting for the ship to sink all the way.

Having said all that Go Sox, I'll be happy if a miracle happens.

Couldn't have said it any better!

The Critic
09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
98% acceptance, 2% "anything can happen".

white sox bill
09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Whats the old cliche about the agony of defeat snatched from the jaws of victory or something goofy like that. Thats our story this yr

fisk4ever
09-28-2012, 05:04 PM
A bit depressed about what might have been. Still, the season so far has been much more interesting than I anticipated in April.

soxfanreggie
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
At this point I'm just bummed to lose it this late in the season. Given the way they've looked in September I wouldn't have expected a much better showing in the playoffs than in 2008. Just would have been nice to take the division.

Now I'm just going to go Sunday to the final home game like I do every season, enjoy what might be AJ's last home game in a Sox uniform, and maybe, just maybe complete my perfect attendance record at 11-0.

I don't think it's his last game. I see a two-year deal being worked out while we figure out a future plan at catcher. His unpopularity with other teams also make it likely his other offers won't be that big of a list.

QueerGirrl
09-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I received my 2012 Playoff Tickets in the mail today.

Salt + Wound = :(: :hug:

cards press box
09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Denial!

It's not over. In a few hours we could be one game out of first place with 5 to play.

I like this attitude! I must be in denial, too.

Yeah, why not see where the Sox and Tigers are at the end of this weekend? If the Sox are tied or 1 game out going into the Cleveland series, they can still make things pretty interesting.

I think that I may watch the game tonight after all. Thanks!

ohthosechisox
09-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Acceptance. I think I went through all 5 stages in a 24 hr period.

SBSoxFan
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I like this attitude! I must be in denial, too.

Yeah, why not see where the Sox and Tigers are at the end of this weekend? If the Sox are tied or 1 game out going into the Cleveland series, they can still make things pretty interesting.

I think that I may watch the game tonight after all. Thanks!

Detroit has not been very good on the road this year. Tonight certainly seems like a good chance for the Sox to pick up a game. So, we'll see what happens. I figure the Sox can loose one more game this year. 87 wins probably takes the division.

It's funny. I happened to catch Peter Gammons on the score this morning and he was going on about how people looked at the Sox lineup and figured they were prone for a slump. And that people looked at the Sox starting rotation and figured it wouldn't be able to hold up. I'm sorry, Peter, what were you and all those "people" saying 2 weeks ago? I believe it was something like "Detroit's defense is just too bad to win the division." Baseball sure is a fickle game.

For me, I'm going to hope against hope that the Sox can pull this out. Nor will I go down without a fight (even if that means just being in a bad mood because the Sox are losing. :tongue:). I hope the Sox don't go down without a fight either. We've been riding this roller coaster for awhile now, why not see it to the end?

Six games left, Sox. Give us a thrill! :gulp:

Tragg
09-28-2012, 06:29 PM
This turnaround was so quick that I skipped most of those stages and went straight from confidence that we'd win to acceptance that we won't. A lot of that is because we never had a big lead, so there wasn't a slow burn which would allowed me to have gotten depressed and all the rest.

central44
09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Anger.

It wasn't asking for much to hope that the Sox could simply be average, especially against the garbage teams in KC and Cleveland, and yet they didn't even manage to do that. They embarrassed themselves. There's no excuse for a 1-8 record during the most important stretch of the season. I don't care how tough those teams play the Sox, those were important games and the Sox a better team. Rather than rise to the occassion, they shrank from the moment and played putrid baseball. I also don't care if they're tired, injured, or whatever--every team faces the same challenges.

At the end of the day, the Sox had the division virtually won. It was going to take a miracle for Detroit to come back. And they went 1-8. Absolutley pathetic.

Falstaff
09-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Denial and Bargaining. The season is not quite over. THere is always time for another cold Falstaff and pray for White Sox hitting.

StillMissOzzie
09-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Voted for anger, but hovering between anger and bargaining. Angry because I feel that the Sox pissed away a golden opportunity, but could not perform the necessary carial / rectal inversion to simply put the ball in play when it mattered the most. Bargaining because I still plead with the powers that be for the Tigers to lose a few more.

SMO
:mad:

sox1970
09-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Can I change my pick to Curious?

Madvora
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Just to keep my mind at ease, I remain at acceptance. They have a two game lead to make up and they still haven't done that. I'm scared to get drawn into caring again.

Sad
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Busters... :angry:

sox1970
09-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Can I change my pick to Curious?

Ok, I'm back to Acceptance. Actually, I never left.

Railsplitter
09-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Acceptance. Let's face it, the Sox and Tigers are more pretenders than contenders: two teams that would be out if it by now in a two division set-up and in the middle of the standings if there were no divisons at all. I suspect a three and out for for the Central division "Champion"

SephClone89
09-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Acceptance. Let's face it, the Sox and Tigers are more pretenders than contenders: two teams that would be out if it by now in a two division set-up and in the middle of the standings if there were no divisons at all. I suspect a three and out for for the Central division "Champion"

I dunno; Detroit played really well against the Yankees in last year's ALDS.

sox1970
09-30-2012, 08:25 AM

It's baseball. You never know. I have to say the Tigers have a better chance to win a 5-game series than the Sox would have. Their starting pitching is in pretty good shape if Scherzer is ready to go.

mahagga73
09-30-2012, 09:51 AM
I can't believe so many have went through all 5 stages already . I'm stuck on anger.

Jollyroger2
09-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I've been at acceptance for a long time, could see this coming. As they dropped game after game not only Detroit but also trash like KC, I would vent in places like this and all people would say would be "Hey we're still in first place in September!!" or "But we have the 3rd best record against weak teams" or some other nonsense.

This team's issues are mental and lack of desire. They can beat up on quality teams like NY and Texas and others but can't win home series against bodybags like the Cubs, Astros, Royals, Indians etc.

This franchise got their ring in 05 and management and many fans have been satisfied with that for far too long. I can't stand failure and mediocrity though.

mahagga73
09-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I've been at acceptance for a long time, could see this coming. As they dropped game after game not only Detroit but also trash like KC, I would vent in places like this and all people would say would be "Hey we're still in first place in September!!" or "But we have the 3rd best record against weak teams" or some other nonsense.

This team's issues are mental and lack of desire. They can beat up on quality teams like NY and Texas and others but can't win home series against bodybags like the Cubs, Astros, Royals, Indians etc.

This franchise got their ring in 05 and management and many fans have been satisfied with that for far too long. I can't stand failure and mediocrity though.
Ditto that. They have to be .500 since 05 recordwise or close to it. I think fans are starting to show their lack of faith in KW putting another title contender on the field in the form of empty seats at the end of these so-called pennant race games. We know how the story ends before it starts. 1 playoff, briefly, since 05.

Soxman219
09-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Disappointed and leaning towards acceptance. All year long when the Sox were down they immediately got back up and started winning. When September started I was positive that the Sox would win over 90 wins. This was a September from hell, the inability not to hold leads against the Tigers or KC came back to haunt us. I can't believe last week we were all thinking playoffs, got our playoff tickets ready, and counting down the Magic number. Sad how this ended up.

Too many low points in recent Chicago sports.

cards press box
09-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Couldn't it just be that with some obvious examples aside, this is simply a young team that made great strides but, in the end, hit a wall?

The Sox made great progress this season in all aspects of the game, particularly defense and pitching. Looking to 2013, the Sox have a strong nucleus of a pitching staff. The minor league system has improved nicely in the last few drafts.

So, cheer up. Unlike the neighbors eight miles to the north (who have made much noise about rebuilding), the Sox have showed some genuine and tangible progress this year. Having seen some of the Cub prospects like Jackson and Vitters, I'm not sure that you can say the same about the Cubs.

And if the Sox can win the regular season home finale and if the Twins can beat Anibal Sanchez today, the Sox will only be 1 down going into the final series of the season at Cleveland. Let's go Sox!

October26
09-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Couldn't it just be that with some obvious examples aside, this is simply a young team that made great strides but, in the end, hit a wall?

The Sox made great progress this season in all aspects of the game, particularly defense and pitching. Looking to 2013, the Sox have a strong nucleus of a pitching staff. The minor league system has improved nicely in the last few drafts.

So, cheer up. Unlike the neighbors eight miles to the north (who have made much noise about rebuilding), the Sox have showed some genuine and tangible progress this year. Having seen some of the Cub prospects like Jackson and Vitters, I'm not sure that you can say the same about the Cubs.

And if the Sox can win the regular season home finale and if the Twins can beat Anibal Sanchez today, the Sox will only be 1 down going into the final series of the season at Cleveland. Let's go Sox!

:thumbsup: Great post - thanks! I agree with everything you said and would add that Robin has conducted himself as the true professional that he is. Despite the errors he's made in this his rookie year as manager, he remains positive and focused. And, I am excited about John Danks' return to the Sox starting rotation in 2013.

As for 2012, I'm still watching and rooting and hoping to see a White Sox winner every day/night. GO SOX!

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2012, 01:17 PM

:scratch:
They're going to have Danks whose performance has declined every year since 2008 and is coming of an injury, a maddeningly inconsistent Gavin, a question mark in Quintana and Sale. They're going to have four question marks and Sale.

As for how I feel, I'm in anger today. I was at acceptance but after Friday I went into denial and then after yesterday I was angry. I think a loss today would put me at acceptance again.

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2012, 01:17 PM
The Sox have some young, decent pitching, that exceeded all reasonable expectations this year. But the realist must prepare for the possibility that some of the young pitchers may regress next year.

Things are less rosy in the lineup. Will DeAza build upon his strong first half? Or is more like the lesser second half player we saw? Will Beckham build on his September? Or will he remain inconsistent? Will we see the 2010/2012 Rios? Or the 2009/2011 version? First half Paulie? Or sore wrist second half Paulie? First half Dunn or second half Dunn? Can AJ maintain excellence at age 36? What about Viciedo? First half lousy Alexei, or strong second half Alexei? Who's on third?

The defense is fine, but how is it affected if we try to replace a fielder to upgrade the lineup?

tick53
09-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Acceptance. I'm getting too old to get my dander up because of the White Sox. I love them but I'm not going to let their lack of effort this last week ruin my health.

StillMissOzzie
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I already voted, but I have now moved on to acceptance. The collapse is complete. Maybe next year...

SMO
:whiner:

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I would say that today I am at an angry acceptance.

central44
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I might be at "acceptance" now, but i'll never stop being angry about the 2012 team. They looked elite at times, and in the end all they had to do was not humiliate themselves. They couldn't even do that.

I loved this team in July...now I hope it looks very different going into 2013. I don't want to get strung along again by a team built to last only to the All Star Break.

SoxFan1979
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Here's where I'm at...... Go Bears!

Jurr
09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I might be at "acceptance" now, but i'll never stop being angry about the 2012 team. They looked elite at times, and in the end all they had to do was not humiliate themselves. They couldn't even do that.

I loved this team in July...now I hope it looks very different going into 2013. I don't want to get strung along again by a team built to last only to the All Star Break.

Well said.

Personally, I'm more upset that golf season is ending.

bunkaroo
09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Well my last game I went to this season turned out to be the only loss I've been to this season. I guess that's appropriate.

I think it wouldn't suck so bad if hockey were going to happen. I don't care about the Bears or Bulls so no sports for me for a while.

JB98
09-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Congratulations on predicting failure for the Sox. Would you like a cookie? It can be arranged, if you like.

The fact of the matter is losing home series against the Cubs, Astros and Royals was NOT an indicator that the Sox weren't going to win the division. You know what? Detroit has lost a home series against "bodybags" like the Indians and the Twins within the last month. Hell, just last Sunday the Tigers got swept AT HOME in a doubleheader by Minnesota. They are still going to win the division despite sucking against inferior teams. They actually have THE SAME NUMBER of losses against KC, MIN and CLE as the Sox.

I didn't see anybody here predicting World Series grandeur. But people who hoped and expected to win the division were hardly out of line. Shame on you for coming on here and saying "I told you so" at a time where most Sox fans are really down after what has happened over the last two weeks.

Jollyroger2
09-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Congratulations on predicting failure for the Sox. Would you like a cookie? It can be arranged, if you like.

The fact of the matter is losing home series against the Cubs, Astros and Royals was NOT an indicator that the Sox weren't going to win the division. You know what? Detroit has lost a home series against "bodybags" like the Indians and the Twins within the last month. Hell, just last Sunday the Tigers got swept AT HOME in a doubleheader by Minnesota. They are still going to win the division despite sucking against inferior teams. They actually have THE SAME NUMBER of losses against KC, MIN and CLE as the Sox.

I didn't see anybody here predicting World Series grandeur. But people who hoped and expected to win the division were hardly out of line. Shame on you for coming on here and saying "I told you so" at a time where most Sox fans are really down after what has happened over the last two weeks.

That's great Detroit has lost to bodybags too...unfortunately they've balanced it out by kicking the Sox's butt. I also recall numerous posts on how it didn't matter that the Sox got swept in back to back trips to Detroit...cause they'd win the other games...or they'd "get the Tigers at home"....yep that worked out real well too.

I'm down too...have been down for some time. I just wasn't blinded by homerism for so long like many here.

And yes, despite your denials, their losses to weaker teams are a huge indicator. They thought they could just show up and win, even against Cleveland this week. A hard lesson learned for all.

JB98
10-01-2012, 01:10 AM
That's great Detroit has lost to bodybags too...unfortunately they've balanced it out by kicking the Sox's butt. I also recall numerous posts on how it didn't matter that the Sox got swept in back to back trips to Detroit...cause they'd win the other games...or they'd "get the Tigers at home"....yep that worked out real well too.

I'm down too...have been down for some time. I just wasn't blinded by homerism for so long like many here.

And yes, despite your denials, their losses to weaker teams are a huge indicator. They thought they could just show up and win, even against Cleveland this week. A hard lesson learned for all.

Bull****. Your argument was bull**** six weeks ago. It remains bull**** today. This whole idea that the Sox needed to "get more fired up" to play second-division teams is ridiculous on its face. More emotion! GRRRRR! Let's all crack helmets and try harder! GRRRRRR!!! If anything, the Sox got themselves in trouble against Cleveland this week by trying too hard. All those big swings they took didn't work out too well, did they?

The only valid point you've made is that Detroit kicked the Sox's butt in head-to-head play. That was the biggest factor in deciding the division. The Tigers are 8-10 against Cleveland. I guess they thought they could just show up and win.

Zach Stewart isn't on this team anymore. I'm sorry he sucks. I'm sorry he got bombed against the Cubs on June 18. Phil Humber hasn't pitched a meaningful inning in over a month. I'm sorry he sucks. I'm sorry he got bombed against the Astros on June 10. I'm sorry your ass is still sore about those losses three months after the fact. But the fact remains the Sox lost those games because they trotted out lousy starting pitchers, not because of some perceived "lack of desire."

If we really want to lament losses that happened months ago, let's talk about this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201204160.shtml) or this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201205040.shtml) or this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201205150.shtml) or this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK201204250.shtml). All were games the Sox had in the bag and let get away for one reason or another. Two of the four losses there are to the Tigers, and those are looking pretty big right now, no? I'm not going to lament losses that involved starting pitchers getting bombed, because every team has those days, and some of those losses are inevitably against poor competition. That's baseball, and the Sox don't have any more bad losses than the Tigers do.

I don't think we have too many posters here who are "blinded by homerism." I think most posters here live in reality. You didn't get any sympathy for your "venting" because your point made no sense to a good majority of us. Even today, knowing the Sox are not going to the playoffs, it is still nonsensical to me.

white sox bill
10-01-2012, 06:49 AM
I skimed thru Phil Rodgers latest masterpiece in the Trib and read a few comments from cub fans suggesting the Sox move to another market as we missed the 2 million mark in attendance along w/some of the other less that marquee franchises. Will be an interesting off season for Hahn and for Brooks too to see if he can increase the forever question of increasing fannies in the seats.

harwar
10-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Thursday - Acceptance
Friday - Denial
Saturday - Anger
Sunday - Anger then Depression
Monday - Depression

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Congrats to you on being Mr. Sunshine blind optimistic also. I agree with everything he said, and we both have recent history to back it up . You ,my friend ,can continue to be happy with just getting close, a lot of us on the other hand would like to see an occassional playoff series, you know, like good teams do. Every year it's the same song repeated over and over, this year was later because of Tiger incompetence they couldn't take advantage of . Am maybe looking forward to KW and his repeating .500 record stepping down and seeing what Hahn can do, there needs to be a new direction, this team has not had the look of a WS contender in many years.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I skimed thru Phil Rodgers latest masterpiece in the Trib and read a few comments from cub fans suggesting the Sox move to another market as we missed the 2 million mark in attendance along w/some of the other less that marquee franchises. Will be an interesting off season for Hahn and for Brooks too to see if he can increase the forever question of increasing fannies in the seats.
Quit choking in September= problem solved

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Acceptance.:(:

It was not meant to be,sadly.

"Playoffs?!?!? PLAYOFFS?!?!?!? Don't talk about the playoffs! I just hope we can win another game."

-Jim Mora after a losing season with the Colts

Dan H
10-01-2012, 08:14 AM

I am at the acceptance stage becasue I feel I have no choice but to accept. This team had its chances and couldn't come through. In the end, it couldn't do it against good or bad teams.

As far as Cub fans and Phil Rogers, what to they know? Are they loyal or gullible?

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Quit choking in September= problem solved

Just my 2 cents:

Put a team that the fans can get behind on the field,and that may help the matter as well.Once again,just my opinion.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM

THE SOX'S RECORD AGAINST SUB-.500 TEAMS IS BETTER THAN DETROIT'S

HOW. MANY. ****ING. TIMES. DOES. THIS. NEED. TO. BE. POSTED.

Do you argue with gravity? Did you still not believe 2+2=4 (Hint: It is). You can make up whatever GRRRRRRR WE'RE NOT GRINDY ENOUGH garbage you want but the fact is if the Sox and Tigers just got to play bad teams all year, we'd be the one going to the playoffs right now.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Just my 2 cents:

Put a team that the fans can get behind on the field,and that may help the matter as well.Once again,just my opinion.

Yeah, the Sox were in 1st place for only what? The majority of the season? How can fans be expected to get behind that?

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 11:45 AM
As has been discussed a lot in the thread about the NPR Chicago station's report on this, it's a complex issue involving a number of things.

Winning on the field, average ticket prices, a drop in walk-up sales, no off season buzz, no consistency to the franchise anymore (can't even put multiple winning seasons together), marketing and what seems to be a disconnect (for right or wrong) between fans and the 'dynamic pricing' concept have all played parts.

If it was a simple fix the Sox would have done so already.

Lip

Chez
10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, the Sox were in 1st place for only what? The majority of the season? How can fans be expected to get behind that?

Thank you! Other than ticket prices, I'm tired of hearing all the excuses to not show up to the games.

JB98
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Congrats to you on being Mr. Sunshine blind optimistic also. I agree with everything he said, and we both have recent history to back it up . You ,my friend ,can continue to be happy with just getting close, a lot of us on the other hand would like to see an occassional playoff series, you know, like good teams do. Every year it's the same song repeated over and over, this year was later because of Tiger incompetence they couldn't take advantage of . Am maybe looking forward to KW and his repeating .500 record stepping down and seeing what Hahn can do, there needs to be a new direction, this team has not had the look of a WS contender in many years.

No you don't. Go ahead and post your "recent history." I'll guarantee you either myself or doublem23 will defeat your "fire and passion" arguments with facts. As a matter of fact, doublem defeated your argument in huge, black font a few posts previous. Keep coming with your emotional stuff though. The Sox would be in the playoffs if the players cared, or if the players had tried harder against bad teams, or if Ditka were in charge. GRRRRR. Woof, woof, woof.

I'm a blind optimist, huh? :rolling:

Comedy gold right there. Ask my family, my co-workers or my girlfriend about what an "optimist" I am. Any of them will tell you I'm intolerable to be around at times because I get so pessimistic during and after losses.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
so what, THEY CHOKED...AGAIN. If that is your version of success have at it. Being bridesmaid or second best, you sound like a Cub fan.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
No you don't. Go ahead and post your "recent history." I'll guarantee you either myself or doublem23 will defeat your "fire and passion" arguments with facts. As a matter of fact, doublem defeated your argument in huge, black font a few posts previous. Keep coming with your emotional stuff though. The Sox would be in the playoffs if the players cared, or if the players had tried harder against bad teams, or if Ditka were in charge. GRRRRR. Woof, woof, woof.

I'm a blind optimist, huh? :rolling:

Comedy gold right there. Ask my family, my co-workers or my girlfriend about what an "optimist" I am. Any of them will tell you I'm intolerable to be around at times because I get so pessimistic during and after losses.
whatever, you keep on believing your nonsense and think you are smarter than everybody.Fact is fact, the Sox blew it once again. Even your brain cell cannot deny that.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
THE SOX'S RECORD AGAINST SUB-.500 TEAMS IS BETTER THAN DETROIT'S

HOW. MANY. ****ING. TIMES. DOES. THIS. NEED. TO. BE. POSTED.

Do you argue with gravity? Did you still not believe 2+2=4 (Hint: It is). You can make up whatever GRRRRRRR WE'RE NOT GRINDY ENOUGH garbage you want but the fact is if the Sox and Tigers just got to play bad teams all year, we'd be the one going to the playoffs right now.
yeah, but they blew it.They played horribly in September, you know , like when it counts. I don't care what their record was against anybody. They play virtually the same schedule and the Sox had the lead all year and blew up once again at the end. When you and your other buddie JB98 on this thread see Detroit in the playoffs in a week or so it may finally dawn on you, yeah they choked. But you two keep touting your , "but we were in contention" loser mentality if that's what you want to do to make you think this season was a success. Your argument makes zero sense, you can twist records against all you want ,but the bottomline is, no Sox in Playoffs once again.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
yeah, but they blew it.They played horribly in September, you know , like when it counts. I don't care what their record was against anybody. They play virtually the same schedule and the Sox had the lead all year and blew up once again at the end. When you and your other buddie JB98 on this thread see Detroit in the playoffs in a week or so it may finally dawn on you, yeah they choked. But you two keep touting your , "but we were in contention" loser mentality if that's what you want to do to make you think this season was a success. Your argument makes zero sense, you can twist records against all you want ,but the bottomline is, no Sox in Playoffs once again.

Are you not literate? Please point to where either me or my buddie [sic] are arguing the Sox didn't choke. We're only arguing what the reasons behind that choke was and how the team can move forward in the future. Saying "oh well, bla bla bla, I knew the Sox were doomed when they lost 2 of 3 to Houston because HOW COULD A TEAM BE EXPECTED TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS WHEN THEY LOSE GAMES TO BAD TEAMS????" is pure and UTTER bull**** because AGAIN - THE SOX PLAYED BAD TEAMS BETTER THAN THE TIGERS DID THIS YEAR. That's the only argument. The Sox's problem wasn't that they didn't have "killer instinct" or "Chicago tough man balls" or "adult diapers to prevent pants pissing and/or bed crapping." The problem was they just weren't good enough in many aspects of the game. The hitters slumped. The pitchers wore out. The manager made some pretty whacky decisions these last couple of weeks." Blame it on **** that actually happened, not made up fairytale nonsense that doesn't mesh with this thing that I like to call "reality" (for more reading, click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality)) just so you can go back and link to some post from 3 months ago and declare yourself the Prophet of Pants Pissing. A) Nobody cares and B) even fewer people care when your arguments are D-E-D wrong.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
so what, THEY CHOKED...AGAIN. If that is your version of success have at it. Being bridesmaid or second best, you sound like a Cub fan.

Yeah, we all know they choked but that basically happened over what? The last 1/2 of September? Where the **** was everybody for the previous, I don't know, 100 days when they weren't choking?

I don't want this to turn into another attendance thread, I understand there are plenty of reasons for people to go and not go to the games, that's all fine, but don't give me this crap that the Sox just need to "put a team on the field people want to root for" and people will just start magically showing up. They did it this year and the Sox had their worst season at the gate since 2004. Obviously whatever is not working is not related to the team's performance, since the Sox gave their fans a team that was in 1st place for the majority of the season and people still couldn't be bothered to show the **** up. We all like to pat ourselves on the back that Sox fans "don't support mediocrity" but will come out for a winner. Maybe not.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Are you not literate? Please point to where either me or my buddie [sic] are arguing the Sox didn't choke. We're only arguing what the reasons behind that choke was and how the team can move forward in the future. Saying "oh well, bla bla bla, I knew the Sox were doomed when they lost 2 of 3 to Houston because HOW COULD A TEAM BE EXPECTED TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS WHEN THEY LOSE GAMES TO BAD TEAMS????" is pure and UTTER bull**** because AGAIN - THE SOX PLAYED BAD TEAMS BETTER THAN THE TIGERS DID THIS YEAR. That's the only argument. The Sox's problem wasn't that they didn't have "killer instinct" or "Chicago tough man balls" or "adult diapers to prevent pants pissing and/or bed crapping." The problem was they just weren't good enough in many aspects of the game. The hitters slumped. The pitchers wore out. The manager made some pretty whacky decisions these last couple of weeks." Blame it on **** that actually happened, not made up fairytale nonsense that doesn't mesh with this thing that I like to call "reality" (for more reading, click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality)) just so you can go back and link to some post from 3 months ago and declare yourself the Prophet of Pants Pissing. A) Nobody cares and B) even fewer people care when your arguments are D-E-D wrong.
You are putting lipstick on a pig. You can try and insult my intelligence all you want for your ridiculous argument if it makes you feel better. Reality is this, White Sox hitting golf courses, Tigers in playoffs. It had nothing to do with burnout, running out of gas, experience, whatever. They should have won that division with cushion to spare. Your excuses are BS. You are making excuses for the choke job.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
You are putting lipstick on a pig. You can try and insult my intelligence all you want for your ridiculous argument if it makes you feel better. Reality is this, White Sox hitting golf courses, Tigers in playoffs. It had nothing to do with burnout, running out of gas, experience, whatever. They should have won that division with cushion to spare. Your excuses are BS.

THAT IS NOT THE ARGUMENT

What are you reading? AGAIN, who has said that the Sox DIDN'T CHOKE? We're all in agreement they should have clinched this division a week ago. The discussion in this thread, when not being railroaded by a broken record sidetrack is, WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY. Saying the Sox's collapse in September was all mental and none physical IS ****ING ****. It's ****ing **** for people who don't understand this sport and just spout off a bunch of idiotic buzzwords they hear from dimwit talking heads on daytime ESPN TV.

JB98
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
whatever, you keep on believing your nonsense and think you are smarter than everybody.Fact is fact, the Sox blew it once again. Even your brain cell cannot deny that.

Find me the post where I denied that the Sox blew it. I've stated multiple times on this board that the Sox choked. You can check my posting record if you don't believe me.

This has nothing to do with "being satisfied" with second place, or being a "blind homer," or any of these other accusations.

The fact of the matter is, this whole "the Sox weren't fired up enough to play bad teams" argument is ridiculous on its face. I find it hysterical somebody would assert the Sox lost to Cleveland this week because "they thought they could just show up and win."

I would argue the Sox lost two games to Cleveland because they had two starting pitchers get knocked out early in the game, which has been a common theme down the stretch. You're not going to win many games against anybody when your starting pitcher can't make it through the fifth inning. No amount of heart and balls is going to overcome bad starting pitching. I'm sorry. But that's how it is.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
When you can't even put together back to back winning seasons anymore, when you go to the playoffs one time since 2008 and only three times since the three division format went into play in 1994, with respect, you are going to have issues getting fans out consistently.

Here's all you need to know, they drew almost three million in 2006 after winning the World Series. Coincidence? I don't think so.

And assuming Detroit gets to the playoffs this year, here's some numbers to think about since the new century began in this division:

Playoff appearances:

Sox - three (00,05,08)
Cleve. - two (01,07)
Minn. - six (02,03,04,06,09,10)
Det. - three (06,11,12)

If you go back to the start of the three divisional format the numbers are even worse for the Sox compared to the other clubs in the division.

There's something wrong when smaller market teams like Cleveland and Minnesota figure out how to dominate the division but the Sox can't and haven't even come close to doing so.

I write this simply to say it wouldn't be wise to dismiss the on field performance as a big reason for the Sox attendance issues.

Lip

doublem23
10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Here's all you need to know, they drew almost three million in 2006 after winning the World Series. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Right, but does that have to do with Sox fans' spontaneous ability to show up when the team is winning or is it more just thanks to the marketing of playoff and World Series tickets that drew fans to the park? I mean, if the Sox need to win the World Series every year to generate buzz then we're ****ed and may as well just stop having these conversations.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Right, but does that have to do with Sox fans' spontaneous ability to show up when the team is winning or is it more just thanks to the marketing of playoff and World Series tickets that drew fans to the park? I mean, if the Sox need to win the World Series every year to generate buzz then we're ****ed and may as well just stop having these conversations.

I think his point isn't that they need to constantly win the World Series but the White Sox need to have a sustained period of winning (and by winning I mean making the playoffs) in order to excite the fan base. Since 2005 the Sox have been about a .500 club and what .500 club manages to draw over 30,000 consistently? If the White Sox could go on a stretch like the Indians had in the 1990s or the Twins had in the early 2000s or even like the Tigers are having now, even if they don't win a single playoff series, I think their attendance issues will more or less disappear. But one trip to the playoffs once every four years by a team that wins 88 games in a bad division just isn't going to cut it for this fan base.

doublem23
10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I think his point isn't that they need to constantly win the World Series but the White Sox need to have a sustained period of winning (and by winning I mean making the playoffs) in order to excite the fan base. Since 2005 the Sox have been about a .500 club and what .500 club manages to draw over 30,000 consistently? If the White Sox could go on a stretch like the Indians had in the 1990s or the Twins had in the early 2000s or even like the Tigers are having now, even if they don't win a single playoff series, I think their attendance issues will more or less disappear. But one trip to the playoffs once every four years by a team that wins 88 games in a bad division just isn't going to cut it for this fan base.

What a crock of ****. The Sox need to go on an extended run like the '90s Indians or '00 Twins? Well then we're ****ed, because the reason you can name those teams so easily off the top of your head is that IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT OFTEN. I'm not saying the Sox aren't to take some blame for the attendance issues (though, as previously noted, I'm not entirely sure this isn't their plan all along anyway), but there's also a hefty amount of responsibility on the fanbase. For years, it's been the same old same old bull****, Oh, we don't come out if the team's not winning... Guess what? The Sox spent most of the season in 1st place, had the 3rd best record in the AL as late as the middle of August, and people still didn't bother to show up. So whatever the problem is, that's not it.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2012, 04:18 PM
What a crock of ****. The Sox need to go on an extended run like the '90s Indians or '00 Twins? Well then we're ****ed, because the reason you can name those teams so easily off the top of your head is that IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT OFTEN. I'm not saying the Sox aren't to take some blame for the attendance issues (though, as previously noted, I'm not entirely sure this isn't their plan all along anyway), but there's also a hefty amount of responsibility on the fanbase. For years, it's been the same old same old bull****, Oh, we don't come out if the team's not winning... Guess what? The Sox spent most of the season in 1st place, had the 3rd best record in the AL as late as the middle of August, and people still didn't bother to show up. So whatever the problem is, that's not it.

A big part of the problem with attendance issues this year is that in today's ticket market you don't get a lot of help from walk up sales. It's all about advance ticket sales and when you look at where the expectations for this team were in April it stands to reason that the advance tickets sales would be low. Those low expectations coupled with the fact that the White Sox have the fourth highest ticket price in baseball hurt the Sox tremendously. Then when the Sox were winning they did little to reduce ticket prices or come up with some other incentive to bring fans to the ball park, when they did have those incentives it was announced once on Twitter and that was it. In a series against the Blue Jays they had a $5 upper deck ticket promotion that was announced maybe twice on Twitter (I knew about it because I read it here) and sure enough the upper deck was largely filled. They never revisited that though. Another thing to look at this year was the advertising, there were no advertisements on TV that predominately featured the players (other than still stock photos as witnessed by baby Henry). Compare that to the last time the White Sox made the playoffs in 2008, that year the White Sox were filming commercials featuring players and the mayor of Chicago. I think having the same four ads running all season long (much like last year) hurt this team as well.

Finally, if you had read the post I said that a run like the Tigers are having of late would help the Sox immensely too. If you think that it is too much to ask for a franchise to have back to back playoff appearances than I guess we will have to agree to disagree but off the top of my head in the past ten years I can think of at least nine teams that have made the playoffs in back to back years and of those nine five teams have made it to the playoffs three times in the last five years, so what I am asking is not as rare as you would have it seem, but for this franchise it is evidently too much to ask.

mahagga73
10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
The Sox do a poor job marketing the team out of Chicago even though all 162 games are on TV downstate. . Half the people that go to Cardinals and Cubs games are from out of state or downstate. There are not nearly as many coming from downstate and out of state to the Cell , even though it is just as good or better a place to see a game and easy to get too. I'm not sure I buy the overpriced ticket theory because I get tickets for next to nothing on Stubhub.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2012, 04:41 PM
5187:

Very well said. It's always easy to blame the fan base but the fact remains the White Sox are still the ONLY original major league franchise to have never made the postseason in consecutive seasons and MLB has had expanded playoffs since 1969.

Never...not in over 100 years.

I understand why fans are skeptical when a particular team comes out of nowhere for a season (or less than a season as has usually been the case since 2003.)

Again it's about ticket prices, it's about the economy, it's about on-field performance, it's about recent history on the field, it's about advertising and marketing, it's about walk-up sales, and yes to a small extent it's even about the fan base.

There's no one single factor. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Trying to place blame or zero in on "the reason" is foolish and counter productive. It's a combination of things...some outside of the Sox control, some in their control and some because they have shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm calm now, Hubble.

Thank God these two weeks are over.

voodoochile
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I kind of went through all of these phases on Saturday during the game. Anger didn't last that long and it's hard to be that upset. I think this team just hit the wall. The final 6 weeks of the season were brutal with one day where they didn't have to come to the park. When you are on a roll, young and driving that's okay, when you are scuffling, old and banged up it's a lot harder on your mental energy.

Grind is over now. Too bad they couldn't have had some of these timely hits over the last few weeks. It wouldn't have taken that much to be still in this fight.

Ah well...:whiner:

Soxman219
10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Angry. Now the Sox want to score 11 runs. Where was this last week?:angry:

samurai_sox
10-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm still angry, you don't give up the division lead in the second to last week of the season when you lead it for 4 months. I'm not going to be over this until they say "Play ball!" next April.

white sox bill
10-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Maybe MLB will allow us to retro some of the 11 runs we scored last night to last week....:scratch:

October26
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Maybe MLB will allow us to retro some of the 11 runs we scored last night to last week....:scratch:

I like that plan, Bill.

Seriously, as the Sox faced elimination last night, it finally hit me. Yes, after spending much time in denial, I finally had no choice but to accept the reality of the situation. This morning, I kept thinking: I've been here before; I've felt this pain and disappointment before. Yes, losing sucks and it will take me some time to get over the heartbreaking way that the 2012 Sox season ended. I kept rooting and hoping things would turn out differently for our Sox but they did not. All the bargaining in the world did not help; the Sox play over the last two weeks was beyond awful.

Having said all that, this 2012 Sox season was not a complete and total waste for me. Much to the contrary, actually, I had a wonderful summer and enjoyed watching White Sox baseball. And it was great to have Robin back in a Sox uniform. Thanks to WSI, I met some terrific Sox fans this year; we attended games together and had fun. I watched games with my dad, who is a huge Sox fan, and we even spent some time in a game thread together (something he was curious about). I had meaningful conversation about the Sox here on WSI and elsewhere.

Of course, I wish the outcome had been different and the Sox had made it to the playoffs, but I am one that enjoys the journey. It was a fun season minus the ending. I'll be keeping a close eye on the Sox and their dealings over the long winter that lies ahead and I'll be counting down the days until the Sox Opening Day in April 2013.

mahagga73
10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
5187:

Very well said. It's always easy to blame the fan base but the fact remains the White Sox are still the ONLY original major league franchise to have never made the postseason in consecutive seasons and MLB has had expanded playoffs since 1969.

Never...not in over 100 years.

I understand why fans are skeptical when a particular team comes out of nowhere for a season (or less than a season as has usually been the case since 2003.)

Again it's about ticket prices, it's about the economy, it's about on-field performance, it's about recent history on the field, it's about advertising and marketing, it's about walk-up sales, and yes to a small extent it's even about the fan base.

There's no one single factor. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Trying to place blame or zero in on "the reason" is foolish and counter productive. It's a combination of things...some outside of the Sox control, some in their control and some because they have shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion.

LipIs there any doubt if they had expanded playoff in the 50's and 60's the Sox would have made it about 8 , 9 times and won a series? Just thinking out loud. The Yankees were a huge roadblock for them more than anybody. But that is an interesting tidbit about never making the playoffs back to back, I will probably use that one trow . They have been, at least in most of Reinsdorf's reign, consistently mediocre, which I suppose is better than consistently awful but still frustrating.

Irishsox1
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
After 1990 I was ticked at the system. We won 94 games and didn't make the playoffs and we went 8-5 against big bad Oakland.

In 1994, that was more shock like I can't believe the players union is actually striking in August. I wished they locked them out rather than play and see the team quit playing.

This year, expectations were so low, the team never pulled away and I hate to point fingers at 1 guy but when we needed Peavy late in the year to dominate for whatever reason, it usually resulted in a loss.

Tragg
10-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm taking these steps in the wrong order.
Two days I ago I was at acceptance.
Now I'm pissed.