PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "What new?" 9/27/2012 Postgamer

Viva Medias B's
09-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Discuss.

WhiteSox5187
When you bring in two runs with the bases loaded and nobody out twice, you're not going to win.

soxnut1018
Ovah.

A. Cavatica
Discuss.

Thank you, but no.

ChiSoxGal85
09-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Honest to God. I don't know what the Sox did to piss off the baseball gods, but what a horrible time for everything to go so wrong. Once again, they had multiple chances to win this game, and they fell short in nearly every way possible.

I have tickets for tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I won't be going. I'm just too angry to spend my money and I won't have any fun.

keloms
Knew that ending was coming with Dunn. Just surprised it wasn't the one that he looked at.

JasonFrasor54
Remember when we all were counting the magic number?

Good Times.

thomas35forever
We've lost 8 of 9. I hate making Cubs comparisons, but this is just like when they lost 7 of 9 at the end of 2004.

The Immigrant
The ship be sinking.

Domeshot17
09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
That will just about do it, bases loaded twice, just pathetic. No one on the team is willing to step up with the big hit. 9 hitters, not one of them is a leader.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Man, when Lip said one more win for a "Winning Season, I didn't realize we would only win 82 games.

This team does not have a prayer in them to win another game.

Sad.

PalehosePlanet
09-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Season unofficially over. I'm going to the funeral tomorrow night. I'll wear the black alternate jersey out of respect for the dead.

AnkleSox
09-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Well, season's over. Which sucks, because this was really the last window the Sox will have for a long time, in my opinion.

TommyGavinFloyd
09-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Really glad I told my friend no on buying tickets for tomorrow's game. And **** Luke Scott.

Viva Medias B's
Boom goes the dynamite.

guillensdisciple
Honest to God. I don't know what the Sox did to piss off the baseball gods, but what a horrible time for everything to go so wrong. Once again, they had multiple chances to win this game, and they fell short in nearly every way possible.

I have tickets for tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I won't be going. I'm just too angry to spend my money and I won't have any fun.

With you. I'm eating the tickets and just going out , can't afford to watch useless ball like this.

Funny how 3 days change everything. We were all excited on Monday. It's Thursday and season is ova!

Oh, and **** you tigers, **** you Detroit, and **** everything to do with you.

russ99
Have the Sox choked away a pennant race lead like this before in their history? Now we're 1-7 since we had the 3 game lead on September 18th.

Tragg
Myers proves again he's nothing but mediocre.
Wise proves again why I was worried the moment we signed him to a minor league deal - the Sox love him, no matter how horrible he is and he WILL play. Pinch hitting his 1/19 self for the hot Viciedo is insanity. Incompetence.
Ventura using Myers 3/4 days and that insane pinch hitting moves shows he's not ready and is absolutely choking.

Bring on a new regime: Hahn and hopefully a new field staff.

LoveYourSuit
When you bring in two runs with the bases loaded and nobody out twice, you're not going to win.

That's one formula to losing.

The Sox have busted out almost every aspect of "Bad" in different ways to show us how they can lose games.

kittle42
Please just lose out so it doesn't look years from now like it was ever close. That might make me feel better in retrospect.

Oh, and get Ventura that How to Manage for Dummies book that Ozzie never read.

Note: I know the players are the ones who suck, but Robin ain't helping.

JB98
09-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Two situations tonight with bases loaded and no outs. Look at the poor approach in those at-bats.

Pierzynski was hacking helplessly at pitches that were bouncing in front of the plate. Konerko swung at a first-pitch sinker that was designed to get him to GIDP. He took the bait.

Give credit to Shields for taking advantage of the anxiety of the Sox hitters in clutch situations. The Sox are chokers, plain and simple. Veteran hitters should know better than to swing at that crap.

Nice job Peavy. He "shut his mouth and pitched." He's had a fine year for the Sox. His haters can stick it.

thomas35forever
09-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Going into tonight, we were hitting .213 in the last 7 days, .236 in the last 14 and .241 in the last 28. How the **** did this all go to Hell so goddamn quickly?

WhiteSoxOnly
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Need new bats.

guillensdisciple
Going into tonight, we were hitting .213 in the last 7 days, .236 in the last 14 and .241 in the last 28. How the **** did this all go to Hell so goddamn quickly?

September man. Welcome to white sox baseball.

kittle42
Well, season's over. Which sucks, because this was really the last window the Sox will have for a long time, in my opinion.

But our minor league system must be filled with studs. Look at how many of them got to pitch during pennant race time!

Quentin08
If the fans had shown up starting on Monday, like any other respectable fanbase with a 1 game lead going into the last week, I guarantee the bats would've woken up. The team needed the fans, and the fans didn't show up. I'm sad to say our fanbase doesn't deserve the division.

WhiteSox5187

That thought entered my mind last night. While there are a lot of young guys in the pen, for the most part it is an old team. The age is starting to show.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
With you. I'm eating the tickets and just going out , can't afford to watch useless ball like this.

Funny how 3 days change everything. We were all excited on Monday. It's Thursday and season is ova!

Oh, and **** you tigers, **** you Detroit, and **** everything to do with you.

I wouldn't take it out that badly on Detroit and their people.

Let's stay classy. Those folks have to wake up and when they step out of their homes they look out and realize they are still in Detroit.

WisSoxFan
I have reached the point that I don't care what happens anymore. There is a part of me that hopes they lose the last six to make it 14 of 15 and Hahn has the power to do what he wants as GM (I'm assuming that's still true). I wouldn't care if he fired Ventura and allowed whoever he hired to bring in his own staff. If that means no more Cooper, so be it.

I'm not saying I want that to happen, but I"m fine with it if it does.

I've been a fan since '72 and I honestly don't recall feeling this disappointed with the finish of the regular season. Not even '03. What a waste of a great opportunity. ****. ****. ****.

kittle42
If the fans had shown up starting on Monday, like any other respectable fanbase with a 1 game lead going into the last week, I guarantee the bats would've woken up. The team needed the fans, and the fans didn't show up. I'm sad to say our fanbase doesn't deserve the division.

This will already win worst ****ing post in this thread and it's early. Good job. Is this Kenny or Jerry?

Go join the Cubs' fanbase. They always support the team!

tstrike2000
09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Probably Peavy's last start at home as a member of the Sox. Wonder what kind of managing job Robin's gonna do next year when he has to use half of the Charlotte Knights as opposed to choosing to now. The worst month of managing I've seen since Terry Bevington.

thomas35forever
Yeah, our attendance has a direct correlation to the offensive woes. *****.:rolleyes:
By the way, we won on Monday.

:dtroll:

ShooterMcGavin
I was hopeful of winning the division until the end of this game. Two games out with 6 to go.

The Sox are 1-8 over their last nine games. Ouch.

Youkilis and Peavy had good games. And I really like Dan Johnson's at bats.

PalehosePlanet
09-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Have the Sox choked away a pennant race lead like this before in their history? Now we're 1-7 since we had the 3 game lead on September 18th.

1-8, and no I don't recall a choke job like this.

russ99
09-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Not an excuse. Had they given us any confidence they could play even remotely well and have the attitude that they were winning this division, we'd have shown up.

Like beat the damn Royals, like the Tigers just did.

Nobody wants to watch bad, depressing baseball. Only us diehards are still with these guys now, any casual fans would have tuned out weeks ago.

shingo10
09-27-2012, 10:32 PM
The focus now has got to be to get it to one back going into Cleveland. That gives us a realistic chance.

I don't give a damn about statistics, winning percentages, odds, the past couple of weeks, or any other crap at this point. Cut it to a game going into the last series. Give us a chance.

LoveYourSuit

Yup, empty seats is the natural force which keeps these guys from hitting. Empty green plastic seats create natural negative energy against guys wearing white baseball pants. It was those empty seats that blinded the Stupid one of the Danks brothers to not touch 2B on a flyball.

WhiteSox5187
This will already win worst ****ing post in this thread and it's early. Good job. Is this Kenny or Jerry?

Well, it's nice to know that a) Kenny posts here and b) see what he is thinking.

Quentin08

It's the truth.. ask any professional athlete. They need the fans and the energy they bring. 13K on Tuesday was an embarrassment to Chicago. How could you not see that?

Tragg
Wonder what kind of managing job Robin's gonna do next year when he has to use half of the Charlotte Knights as opposed to choosing to now. The worst month of managing I've seen since Terry Bevington.
Will he be here next year?
He's been awful the last 6 weeks.

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't take it out that badly on Detroit and their people.

Let's stay classy. Those folks have to wake up and when they step out of their homes they look out and realize they are still in Detroit.

Point taken, I'll stay classy. I apologize for your lives in Detroit tigers fans. At least you're not Cleveland.

+2747382 I can't even believe that was written.

WhiteSox5187
It's the truth.. ask any professional athlete. They need the fans and the energy they bring. 13K on Monday was an embarrassment to Chicago. How could you not see that?

I really hope that this is sarcasm that is just going over our heads.

thomas35forever
It's the truth.. ask any professional athlete. They need the fans and the energy they bring. 13K on Monday was an embarrassment to Chicago. How could you not see that?
That was Tuesday, the game that was switched to the afternoon because of Yom Kippur. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of opinions.

Domeshot17
09-27-2012, 10:34 PM

The truth is sports are as much a product as anything else. I do not blame people for refusing to spend top dollar money on a middle dollar team. I would not pay Sony money to buy a Dynex TV. I won't pay Mercedes money for a Kia so why would I pay premium money for a mediocre baseball team. We got lucky to finish at or above .500. We aren't a playoff team, and outside of a couple hot runs, we have not shown we are.

The Sox don't deserve the fanbase this year and Jerry, Kenny and Brooks really, really screwed up.

WhiteSoxOnly
The focus now has got to be to get it to one back going into Cleveland. That gives us a realistic chance.

I don't give a damn about statistics, winning percentages, odds, the past couple of weeks, or any other crap at this point. Cut it to a game going into the last series. Give us a chance.

Watch 'em be 4 back with 3 to play, and then they sweep Cleveland.

LoveYourSuit
Yeah, our attendance has a direct correlation to the offensive woes. *****.:rolleyes:
By the way, we won on Monday.

With 60% empty seats right?

Or were they filled with the dead spirits of our past ancestor white Sox fans?

It might have been half price for them only, and free if they brought a dog.

ChiSoxGal85
09-27-2012, 10:35 PM

I don't care how the Sox were expected to do at the beginning of the season - to come this far and choke this badly sucks.

And btw, it's not the fans' fault.

russ99
09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
The truth is sports are as much a product as anything else. I do not blame people for refusing to spend top dollar money on a middle dollar team. I would not pay Sony money to buy a Dynex TV. I won't pay Mercedes money for a Kia so why would I pay premium money for a mediocre baseball team. We got lucky to finish at or above .500. We aren't a playoff team, and outside of a couple hot runs, we have not shown we are.

The Sox don't deserve the fanbase this year and Jerry, Kenny and Brooks really, really screwed up.

Well put. As the old saying goes, the whole story about a team comes out over 162 games.

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2012, 10:36 PM

The current ownership has taken the "blame the fans" approach for 31 years now and it won't change anytime soon.

thomas35forever
09-27-2012, 10:36 PM
With 60% empty seats right?

Or were they filled with the dead spirits of our past ancestor white Sox fans?

It might have been half price for them only, and free if they brought a dog.
Yeah. Yeah, that's it. It's the only way they can come down from Heaven and watch baseball at the park the way the living do.

Quentin08
09-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Are you insane? The Sox were in FIRST PLACE at the beginning of this home stand.. the final home stand. And top dollar? Are you kidding me? Any other fanbase would die to have a $10 ticket to see their first place team in the last week of the regular season.

guillensdisciple
Man, I deleted an episode of the office for this game. Sigh.

pczarapa

Unfortunately this reminds me a lot of the Mets about 3 years ago, believe they dropped 8 of 10 in their last games.

captain54

Pretty ludicrous statement.. unbelieveable

this team has crapped their pants this season whether the fans have been there or not

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 10:39 PM
The fans don't come because of negative feelings about the previous road trip and having seen the Sox do the September struggle before. It's pretty simple and a pretty good reason.

Viva Medias B's
Unfortunately this reminds me a lot of the Mets about 3 years ago, believe they dropped 8 of 10 in their last games.

And they haven't been heard from since. Hopefully, this will not be the fate of our team in the coming years. I don't think KW would let that happen.

thomas35forever
Are you insane? The Sox were in FIRST PLACE at the beginning of this home stand.. the final home stand. And top dollar? Are you kidding me? Any other fanbase would die to have a $10 ticket to see their first place team in the last week of the regular season.
Can you blame people for not having confidence in the team after they came home with a 5-game losing streak? I sure as Hell was nervous. People would have come if they felt better about their chances, but the reality is this team was doing nothing to inspire Sox pride. The result is what you've seen during this homestand.

Quentin08
Pretty ludicrous statement.. unbelieveable

this team has crapped their pants this season whether the fans have been there or not

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. They were in first place for the majority of the season.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:40 PM

This has to be Brooks Boyer. I guarantee it.

rookie
Well, you need to score to win. Can't really defend this team, but there are 6 games left and it's a long off season, so I'll be watching and going to one last game. And like another poster said, I don't know when we'll be this close again. It's a shame to come so close, and then fold like they are doing.

Still going to the game on Saturday. 75 degrees, one last tailgate.

WhiteSox5187

They were coming off of a 1-5 road trip and the Sox are the fourth most expensive ballpark experience (which includes tickets, parking, and food) in all of baseball. This is a ****ing mediocre team in a ****ty ****ing division and the White Sox are charing $20+ to sit in the worst seats in the ballpark and when they have a deal they announce them at the last minute and barely then (maybe one brief announcement on twitter).

Domeshot17

Anyone who knows anything about baseball could see this coming before the home stand started. They came in losing, they are playing pathetically bad. Only a moron would try and blame this epic collapse on the fans.

slavko
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
That will just about do it, bases loaded twice, just pathetic. No one on the team is willing to step up with the big hit. 9 hitters, not one of them is a leader.

Beckham hit an atom ball for the 3rd out with the bases juiced. At least he hit it. The second time they were loaded, both Youk and Dunn should have been struck out but they were called balls. So the game was tied on a gift run from the home plate ump.

You knew Myers, a HR machine, was going to give one up didn't you? To use him for two innings was playing Russian Roulette. The Bevington comparisons, which I haven't heard here for 4 months, are not out of line.

Wise was sent up to bunt. He didn't bunt. Then we were stuck with Wise in the game. Owwie.

SI1020
09-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Are you insane? The Sox were in FIRST PLACE at the beginning of this home stand.. the final home stand. And top dollar? Are you kidding me? Any other fanbase would die to have a $10 ticket to see their first place team in the last week of the regular season. How does Tampa Bay do it?

WhiteSox5187
And they haven't been heard from since. Hopefully, this will not be the fate of our team in the coming years. I don't think KW would let that happen.

Are you kidding? He's the guy who build this roster.

guillensdisciple
This has to be Brooks Boyer. I guarantee it.

Don't worry, with the sure to be decimated roster next year, if we show up they will go undefeated and win this years and the World Series after this years.

Dibbs
It was a fun and enjoyable season, from April through August that is.

September was just as frustrating as the last few years with Ozzie.

It really is unfortunate we gave the division away after leading almost the entire year. It is a tough pill to swallow after having so much fun watching this team in 2012.

russ99
09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
The fans don't come because of negative feelings about the previous road trip and having seen the Sox do the September struggle before. It's pretty simple and a pretty good reason.

True.

BTW: There was average to good attendence during the 4 game Tigers series, the one we were lucky to split.

A combination of poor baseball, funky ticket pricing, cooler weather and supposedly lesser opponents that the Sox keep embarrassingly losing to doesn't fill the park.

central44
I can't believe that i'm this completely, utterly disgusted by the same team that I had such high hopes for back in July.

Every member of the team should be humiliated. When it counted the most, when up 3 and in a position where they only had to be *average*--not even good, just average--to win the division...and days later they not only gave up the lead but trail by two games. That's unbelievable.

I mean...what's left to say? 1-8 in their last 9, in a huge stretch? What the hell? It's pathetic. Completely and utterly pathetic, and barring a huge turnaround that's how i'm going to remember this team. Which is unfortunate, because I really loved watching these guys all summer.

tstrike2000

They won't fire Robin when you have Jerry as owner and probably Kenny as President. Robin did a surprisingly good job the first 4 months of the season. But like Mike Huff said during tonight's broadcast late in the game, it's in crucial situations, late in games, during the stretch run of a season when managers earn their money. To see a manager regress this badly puts us in disbelief.

When you have bad play, which we've had, is one thing, but you need decision making that's up to par when you're fighting for the post season.

guillensdisciple
How does Tampa Bay do it?

Argument over.

Soxman219
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
First of all, to the guests (Probably Detroit fans), Good Luck in the postseason!:smile:

Second, since I left for school on August 26th the Sox have been bad. What a joke.

Third, When was the last time Konerko got a big hit for this team?

Fourth, The Sox choked, first time I've ever seen them choke a 3-game division lead in less than a week.

Fifth, the future, this is a 2nd place team for a while, and the Tigers are getting V-Mart back and we don't know what will happen when Danks comes back.

Another letdown in the recent dark era in Chicago Sports.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2012, 10:44 PM
It's the truth.. ask any professional athlete. They need the fans and the energy they bring. 13K on Tuesday was an embarrassment to Chicago. How could you not see that?

If it was the truth, the team would have sucked the rest of the season, too.

It's a load of bull****, period.

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2012, 10:45 PM

It's also probably how some of the upper management feels.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
They were coming off of a 1-5 road trip and the Sox are the fourth most expensive ballpark experience (which includes tickets, parking, and food) in all of baseball. This is a ****ing mediocre team in a ****ty ****ing division and the White Sox are charing $20+ to sit in the worst seats in the ballpark and when they have a deal they announce them at the last minute and barely then (maybe one brief announcement on twitter).

Nailed it.

People think that because you can get a ticket for half price, that's it, you must go.

They charge you to **** in that park! There is more beyond the price of the ticket.

I guarantee if the Sox announce they were opening the gates to anyone who wants to show up tomorrow, they probably still would not fill it up.

Boondock Saint
It's also probably how some of the upper management feels.

They're most certainly pissed about the attendance this season, but I don't think they're stupid.

guillensdisciple
First of all, to the guests (Probably Detroit fans), Good Luck in the postseason!:smile:

Second, since I left for school on August 26th the Sox have been bad. What a joke.

Third, When was the last time Konerko got a big hit for this team?

Fourth, The Sox choked, first time I've ever seen them choke a 3-game division lead in less than a week.

Fifth, the future, this is a 2nd place team for a while, and the Tigers are getting V-Mart back and we don't know what will happen when Danks comes back.

Another letdown in the recent dark era in Chicago Sports.

Should have seen this coming the moment Jay Cutler got injured last year andDerrick Rose got injure this year. Chicago sports work on cycles. When one team does well, others do too ( barring the cubs). This year has been full of letdowns for Chicago fans.

kittle42
09-27-2012, 10:47 PM

I do not argue with you that the attendance has been a mess. I completely disagree that it's responsible for even one loss this week.

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, go nationals!

Boondock Saint
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Should have seen this coming the moment Jay Cutler got injured last year andDerrick Rose got injure this year. Chicago sports work on cycles. When one team does well, others do too ( barring the cubs). This year has been full of letdowns for Chicago fans.

No, just no.

Quentin08
09-27-2012, 10:49 PM

They did in April. And September. And when the Sox played at home in front of 30,000 fans or more during the summer months, they were 13-3 this season.

kittle42

That's probably true. But man, I went yesterday and the entire game - all of it - was like zero fun, and most people looked like they hated being there.

Patrick134
Probably Peavy's last start at home as a member of the Sox. Wonder what kind of managing job Robin's gonna do next year when he has to use half of the Charlotte Knights as opposed to choosing to now. The worst month of managing I've seen since Terry Bevington.

Yeah horrible managing, the way he told nobody to get hits with runners in scoring position.

WhiteSox5187
They're most certainly pissed about the attendance this season, but I don't think they're stupid.

As I said, they have operated under the impression that they could run a first rate franchise if it just weren't for the fans for 31 years now. They probably aren't going to change anything in their approach to marketing anytime soon.

Soxman219
So, what NL team are you rooting for in the playoffs. Would like to see Chipper Jones go out a winner.

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 10:50 PM
No, just no.

What? It's been a bad year for our teams and you know it,

kittle42

Those things have as much to do with the Sox' failures as the attendance.

Quentin08
A packed electric US Cellular Field brings more energy, adrenaline and focus to the players than the fans will ever realize.

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 10:51 PM
So, what NL team are you rooting for in the playoffs. Would like to see Chipper Jones go out a winner.

That guys looks like a fake to me.

The nationals seem like the Cinderella of the year. I'll take them

rookie
That's probably true. But man, I went yesterday and the entire game - all of it - was like zero fun, and most people looked like they hated being there.

I was at Monday's game. The one that we won. It was more of a relief when we won instead of excitement.

StillMissOzzie

That's called blaming the victim. It's performance on the field that matters, not the level of rah-rah in the stadium. Otherwise, we'd have to speak of the Cubs and their multiple championships.

The Sox need plenty more clutch / situational hitting and less choking dog performance. Bases loaded twice and they score on a HBP and a GIDPK. Give me a ****ing break. :angry:

Watching a season that a division title was there for the taking spiral down the commode on this sad sack losing stretch is painful.

SMO
:mad:

Soxman219
09-27-2012, 10:52 PM
No, just no.

It has been a bad time for Chicago sports. Seen too many damn letdowns from our teams lately.

guillensdisciple
Those things have as much to do with the Sox' failures as the attendance.

Sigh, I didn't mean that they correlate, I just meant we should have seen this coming given how disappointed we were with every other sport. I should have never mentioned anything about cycles. Lol just forget it.

kittle42
Yeah horrible managing, the way he told nobody to get hits with runners in scoring position.

I hate this argument.

A manager is supposed to set his team up to have the best chance to succeed by making moves to increase those winning chances. No matter how much he increases them, you are correct, the manager cannot go out and actually execute the physical play.

But Robin has NOT, in this month, put this team in the best position to succeed. He is on the hook with the rest of them.

WhiteSox5187
A packed electric US Cellular Field brings more energy, adrenaline and focus to the players than the fans will ever realize.

No it won't. I have been to games that are packed and the team still looks like a dead ass ball club. The fundamental flaws on this roster won't be magically cured by packed house, there will just be more people booing when the team can't get a ****ing hit with the bases loaded and nobody out.

Patrick134

A team that looks like it's playing with adrenaline and focus will bring fans to the ballpark. Have you seen a team like that lately?

Soxman219
09-27-2012, 10:53 PM
They did in April. And September. And when the Sox played at home in front of 30,000 fans or more during the summer months, they were 13-3 this season.

Rays play in front of nobody all the time and they are always in it in September, what's our excuse?

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:54 PM

You just won't let it go.

If attendance played any factor on wins and losses the Cubs would be NL Champs almost every year.

Come on man, get a grip.

As Kittle said, the attendance is a separate issue which we all agree is a problem. No question. But it had zero to do on the garbage play of this team down the stretch. In case you forgot, the past road trip (not played at US Cellular field) had these same crappy results.

Boondock Saint
What? It's been a bad year for our teams and you know it,

It sure has. And none of it is linked in any way at all.

kittle42

How many championships have the Cubs won since the mid 1980s? How did the Pirates do when PNC was selling out?

Or does Wrigley packed not bring the same type of energy, adrenaline and focus to the players than the fans will ever realize?

WhiteSox5187
Rays play in front of nobody all the time and they are always in it in September, what's our excuse?

The Cubs draw pretty well too and they might lose 100, I wonder why?

tstrike2000

Yes, the offense has sucked, but have you watched any of the Sox games the last 4-5 weeks?

kittle42
09-27-2012, 10:55 PM
As Kittle said, the attendance is a separate issue which we all agree is a problem. No question. But it had zero to do on the garbage play of this team down the stretch. In case you forgot, the past road trip (not played at US Cellular field) had these same crappy results.

Nah - it was our fault for not traveling well.

russ99
Everyone I know bought less Sox tickets this year, except for the guys on season ticket plans.

IMO, a lot of it had to do the economy (less disposable income, or less desire to dispose of it), with Jerry using the same pricing scale as 2011 with $20-25M less payroll and an iffy roster that bit us in the butt in the end. Plus the dynamic pricing nonsense didn't help, and frankly if I were running things, Brooks would be out because of it.

We'll see what next year brings. If Jerry cuts payroll again, we may need to see a real ticket price reduction to bring decent crowds back.

Brian26

I've been to enough games with 37,000 people in the house over the past decade to tell you the Sox can lose in magnificent fashion just as easily in front of a full house as they can in front of 6,000. Quit whining about attendance.

Quentin08
09-27-2012, 10:56 PM
This is Chicago.. not sunny Florida. Chicago's supposed to be the best sports town in America. Oh well, I'm done. Just like everyone else, I'm pissed off as hell right now. And probably won't be able to sleep. :angry:

JB98
I can't believe that i'm this completely, utterly disgusted by the same team that I had such high hopes for back in July.

Every member of the team should be humiliated. When it counted the most, when up 3 and in a position where they only had to be *average*--not even good, just average--to win the division...and days later they not only gave up the lead but trail by two games. That's unbelievable.

I mean...what's left to say? 1-8 in their last 9, in a huge stretch? What the hell? It's pathetic. Completely and utterly pathetic, and barring a huge turnaround that's how i'm going to remember this team. Which is unfortunate, because I really loved watching these guys all summer.

Yeah, they really ruined it for me too. I stuck up for them a lot on this message board. As recently as a week ago, I felt they would win the division.

It's embarrassing. Shameful. Humiliating.

Boondock Saint

If attendance played any factor on wins and losses the Cubs would be NL Champs almost every year.

Amen, brothers. Amen.

WhiteSox5187
It sure has. And none of it is linked in any way at all.

I don't think the poster was suggesting it was all connected but was rather pointing out that it has been a really disappointing year in Chicago sports and there does seem to be certain cycles in Chicago sports which is really just a coincidence I suppose.

Patrick134
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I hate this argument.

A manager is supposed to set his team up to have the best chance to succeed by making moves to increase those winning chances. No matter how much he increases them, you are correct, the manager cannot go out and actually execute the physical play.

But Robin has NOT, in this month, put this team in the best position to succeed. He is on the hook with the rest of them.

Robin's done an admirable job this season. look at what happened with Danks, Humber sucking, Santiago's failure early on, etc. If this were an Ozzie team, they'd be 15 games back today.

captain54
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. They were in first place for the majority of the season.

And could be in first place right now by a good margin if they played good baseball for some decent stretches.. the problem is your comment that the Sox players wet the bed because the fans didn't show up 35,000 strong every night..

the 06' Sox wet the bed too down the stretch, despite great attendance that year from coming off of the 05" World series season.. how do you explain that?

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I was at Monday's game. The one that we won. It was more of a relief when we won instead of excitement.

Even when this team was winning games early in the year, I honestly felt more relieved than excited. No pun intended, felt like every win was a grind.

slavko
I wish it weren't true, but the delightful book Scorecasting analyzes the available data and tells you that the home court (field) advantage comes specifically from the energy and size of the crowd more than any other factor. So our friend is right on target.

Read the book, don't buy it. It's full of Cubbie love. One of the authors is afflicted with that disease.

CHISOXFAN13

I'm guessing you went to every game this week?

This is one of the silliest posts in WSI history.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think the poster was suggesting it was all connected but was rather pointing out that it has been a really disappointing year in Chicago sports and there does seem to be certain cycles in Chicago sports which is really just a coincidence I suppose.

Well, saying that he "should have seen it coming" because the Bulls and Bears had some unfortunate injuries implies that they foretold some kind of misfortune for the Sox.

kittle42
this is chicago.. Not sunny florida. Chicago's supposed to be the best sports town in america.

chicago tough!

JB98
Blame the fans?

Well, you know, winners find a way and losers make excuses.

russ99
Robin's done an admirable job this season. look at what happened with Danks, Humber sucking, Santiago's failure early on, etc. If this were an Ozzie team, they'd be 15 games back today.

I do agree, and despite his frequent disappointing strategies this month (which had they worked we'd be applauding him) he deserves another year to build on what he did this year.

But Robin can only do so much with smoke and mirrors, and that we stayed in first so long with half a starting staff, a rookie pen with a few fading vets and no bench to speak of is admirable.

He does need to change some things up though, such as making his own pitching moves and not rely on Coop for everything on the pitching side and trusting his players more than percentages.

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
This is Chicago.. not sunny Florida. Chicago's supposed to be the best sports town in America. Oh well, I'm done. Just like everyone else, I'm pissed off as hell right now. And probably won't be able to sleep. :angry:

Attendance does not mean people are good fans, go talk baseball to people who fill in Wrigley. They're dumb as rocks. Go talk baseball to the people at a Sox game, they know what is going on and can give you a reason as to why the team is struggling beyond just "they ****ing suck." The thing is your average Sox fan isn't going to shell out over $100 to take a family of four to a ballgame to see a mediocre team choke away the division. Few fans would do that.

kittle42
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Hence why I only mentioned September. Please address the last month.

Patrick134
09-27-2012, 11:01 PM

The Sox , top to bottom, failed with men in scoring position. How is that Robin's fault?

kittle42
09-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I wish it weren't true, but the delightful book Scorecasting analyzes the available data and tells you that the home court (field) advantage comes specifically from the energy and size of the crowd more than any other factor. So our friend is right on target.

Read the book, don't buy it. It's full of Cubbie love. One of the authors is afflicted with that disease.

And it really states it is because it sways the umps and refs more than anything.

Nevertheless, the correlation is not strong enough to support the blanket statement he made.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2012, 11:02 PM
"Turn out the lights, the party's over...they say that all good things must end..."

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWjnndaAkv9q8osLgKsc0bycRX16P5H PyFgByjVXthfYFr5hBsCw

Sox are D.O.A.

Eight out of the last 10 games, three runs or less.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2012, 11:03 PM

You know what I have been wondering? I have been wondering if just as players "press," maybe managers do too. After a few games of looking abysmal I wonder if Robin started thinking "I have to make SOMETHING happen here," and started asking guys to bunt when they couldn't and playing matchups much more so than at the beginning of the season.

thomas35forever
09-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Ranger said on Saturday he'll let losses get to him, but he won't let them ruin his night. Anyone who does that is just silly and probably needs a less stressful way to occupy themselves? Me? I'm watching Jimmy Fallon on David Letterman at the moment and will be watching Rugrats reruns in an hour. Do something relaxing, but don't let this stop you from sleeping.

TommyGavinFloyd
09-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Reds or Giants for me.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Everyone I know bought less Sox tickets this year, except for the guys on season ticket plans.

IMO, a lot of it had to do the economy (less disposable income, or less desire to dispose of it), with Jerry using the same pricing scale as 2011 with $20-25M less payroll and an iffy roster that bit us in the butt in the end. Plus the dynamic pricing nonsense didn't help, and frankly if I were running things, Brooks would be out because of it.

We'll see what next year brings. If Jerry cuts payroll again, we may need to see a real ticket price reduction to bring decent crowds back.

A reduction of prices on everything, not just the tickets.

I think the Sox (and MLB) fail to realize this. How the hell can you pay more to park your damn car on the lot than it is to go inside the park? How can a beer cost you more than your UD ticket?

It's to the point where it is cheaper to buy a 12pack of Miller lite at the store including tax than it is to get 1 warm bottle from a vendor (excluding tip).

kittle42
09-27-2012, 11:05 PM
The Sox , top to bottom, failed with men in scoring position. How is that Robin's fault?

Sigh. I can list almost as many moves Robin made - particularly involving the bullpen - that also affected this team. You are completely dodging the question. I already explained to you that not physically executing is not Robin's fault. You do understand that (the huge part of) a manager's job is fundamentally to make the moves that give his team the best winning chances, right? Can we agree on that? It's not to go out there with RISP and get a base hit. It is to not use AAA September callups like they are going out of style. And again, I am only talking about September. Before this month, the guy was a legit manager of the year candidate.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
I do agree, and despite his frequent disappointing strategies this month (which had they worked we'd be applauding him) he deserves another year to build on what he did this year.

But Robin can only do so much with smoke and mirrors, and that we stayed in first so long with half a starting staff, a rookie pen with a few fading vets and no bench to speak of is admirable.

He does need to change some things up though, such as making his own pitching moves and not rely on Coop for everything on the pitching side and trusting his players more than percentages.

Great post.

I think that as a whole, Robin did an above average job, especially for a rookie manager with no previous experience managing a team.

kittle42
You know what I have been wondering? I have been wondering if just as players "press," maybe managers do too. After a few games of looking abysmal I wonder if Robin started thinking "I have to make SOMETHING happen here," and started asking guys to bunt when they couldn't and playing matchups much more so than at the beginning of the season.

Oh, it's very possible. Great point.

Lip Man 1
Sorry this collapse has been brutal, I don't need to reopen the wound by watching post season baseball. No thank you.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 11:07 PM
"Turn out the lights, the party's over...they say that all good things must end..."

Sox are D.O.A.

Eight out of the last 10 games, three runs or less.

Lip

Lip, at least the boys came thru for you. They got you that Winning Season!

:tongue:

JB98
09-27-2012, 11:08 PM

I think that's exactly what Robin did. Good post.

Hopefully he learns from his errors and does better in the future.

Soxman219
09-27-2012, 11:10 PM
It's not the fans fault the Sox choked. It's the players. IF THEY ACTUALLY PLAYED LIKE PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PLAYERS AND PLAYED LIKE A FIRST PLACE TEAM, MAYBE MORE PEOPLE WILL COME TO THE PARK!

It's that simple!

Winning games CONSISTENTLY! Like beating the teams your suppose to = more fans coming to the Cell. The die-hards will always go, the average fan won't unless it's worth the money.

Boondock Saint
09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Lip, at least the boys came thru for you. They got you that Winning Season!

You know, I think that with expectations being what they were in the winter, if the Sox had spent the entire season in 3rd place hovering right around .500, we'd be a hell of a lot happier with a .500 record today than we are today with a .526 winning percentage.

Funny how expectations can change. It's just been a long time since 82 wins sounded awesome for this team.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
chicago tough!

Speaking of, I have to tip my hat to Peavy tonight.

That guy left it all out there tonight.

guillensdisciple
09-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Speaking of, I have to tip my hat to Peavy tonight.

That guy left it all out there tonight.

Yep, for his swan song, it couldn't have been any better. I'll take it, and I hope you get your dogpile bud.

WhiteSox5187
09-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Oh, it's very possible. Great point.

I think that's exactly what Robin did. Good post.

I do think that if he is pressing, and I have no idea if he is or what, but it is probably a result of him having no previous coaching experience. I remember reading in "3 Nights in August" that in his first years with the White Sox Tony La Russa felt that sort of pressure and would ask his guys to do things they weren't always comfortable doing.

aryzner
09-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Meh.

It's not like the Sox would have made any noise in the playoffs anyway.

Detroit won't either, but still would've been nice to see the Sox in there.

I like the Reds for the World Series title this year. Don't know why. Just a feeling.

Soxman219
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
By the way, what happened to Hawk? Did he just quit and say **** it for the season?

Noneck
09-27-2012, 11:15 PM

My gut tells me there will be no future. I dont think he had fun this year and the future doesnt look too bright. He probably took the job because he figured if he didnt, it would never be offered to him again. He sure doesnt need the money, so I got a feeling its a one and done career.

Woofer
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Even when this team was winning games early in the year, I honestly felt more relieved than excited. No pun intended, felt like every win was a grind.

I agree. We've had very few laughers this year. It has been a stressful season.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
You know, I think that with expectations being what they were in the winter, if the Sox had spent the entire season in 3rd place hovering right around .500, we'd be a hell of a lot happier today.

Funny how expectations can change. It's been a long time since 82 wins sounded awesome for this team.

Everything changed for me when I saw that Tigers were not going to be as good as advertised. It was there for the taking.

Might be a long time before they leave the garage door open for us again.

The Cabrera / Fielder / Martinez (DL) thing is gonna keep being the real deal.

Then Verlander + somewhat Scherzer?

Pray for rain.

ShooterMcGavin
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
By the way, what happened to Hawk. Did he just quit and say **** it for the season?

I heard Hawk had flu-like symptoms.

Tragg
09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Adding a 6th starter after pitching Sale to the bone, which also took sale out of a possible 163 in Detroit.
Pitching Sale to the bone all season.
Starting one night and then pinch hitting the next an ice-cold hitter who is also a horrible hitter, for a hot hitter.
Strategic decisions when he didn't think 3 moves ahead.
Jerking around the rotation in order to set it up in Detroit, only to lose the game he jerked around AND getting swept in Detroit.

I don't know what great stuff Ventura did early. He had a young bullpen. I guess he got them through things. Santiago was never terrible - heck, he saved our first game in Texas.

Yea, he isn't Guillen. But I don't see much else compelling about him.

russ99
09-27-2012, 11:20 PM

They cancelled his call-in thingy today too. Doubt they'd do that unless he were actually sick.

LoveYourSuit
09-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Would not be surprised if JR asked him to take the night off for his sake/health and also for the enjoyment of the broadcast.

Hawk has been more on edge these past 2-3 weeks than anyone on this board. It makes the broadcast feels worse than the actual play on the field, and that's saying a ton.

thomas35forever
09-27-2012, 11:22 PM
My gut tells me there will be no future. I dont think he had fun this year and the future doesnt look too bright. He probably took the job because he figured if he didnt, it would never be offered to him again. He sure doesnt need the money, so I got a feeling its a one and done career.
If that's so, how long before we're interviewing candidates again?

sox1970
09-27-2012, 11:22 PM

We'll see. It's certainly crossed my mind that he could very well not want to do this again. But we don't know if he's got the managing bug now. He may.

If he did bow out, I wonder if Parent or McEwing is the better candidate.

Noneck
09-27-2012, 11:23 PM
If that's so, how long before we're interviewing candidates again?

It will come from someone on the bench, easy, painless and very cheap.

DeadMoney
09-27-2012, 11:26 PM
The dagger...
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/402692_10100833827170769_2019426754_n.jpg

:whiner:

JB98
09-27-2012, 11:31 PM

On the basis of what? Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just wondering why you think that.

DeadMoney
09-27-2012, 11:33 PM

Did you go out to any games this week? Did you go to all of them? If not, why not?

Regardless, how many games have you been to all season? More or less than 36? If less, shut the hell up and never talk again.

wassagstdu
09-27-2012, 11:35 PM

I heard the fanbase had flu-like symptoms.

Dick Allen
09-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I do not plan on watching a single second of the playoffs. **** this season and **** the playoff teams.

slavko
09-27-2012, 11:44 PM
On the basis of what? Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just wondering why you think that.

It's hard to read his face. Pretty inscrutable. Quitting after a year? Being labeled as a quitter for a slice of eternity? That's a giant step past inscrutable. But not impossible. At the 100-1 level.

sox1970
09-27-2012, 11:55 PM
It's hard to read his face. Pretty inscrutable. Quitting after a year? Being labeled as a quitter for a slice of eternity? That's a giant step past inscrutable. But not impossible. At the 100-1 level.

He wouldn't be labeled a quitter if he doesn't come back. He would have been labeled a quitter if he took off at the All Star break and didn't come back.

As far as 100-1, I don't think it's that farfetched. I mean, he had no aspirations of managing until they came to him. It's possible the deal was he was going to do it for a year and see how it goes. Maybe the travel and dealing with the media is something he tolerated all season, but doesn't want to do again. I'd say it's likely he'll be back, but not out of the question that he takes off.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2012, 11:59 PM
The issue isn't and won't be Robin. I'll be shocked if he leaves.

The issue is Hahn if he is named G.M. and what he tries to do to change the culture of the "second half blues" that since 2004 has been killing this team.

And Love again, as bad as this season ended (think 1967 and 2003) it still beats losing 90 or 95 games to me or as you put it lose 100 games and get a high draft pick (which given their history they'll screw up anyway...)

Thank You.

They at least accomplished something.

Lip

gaelhound
09-28-2012, 12:06 AM
I hope we get red hot and stick it to every naysayer in this thread. AND PRINT IT! But seriously, only one team will win the World Series, I am glad I got a September where every pitch of every inning meant something. A lot of teams were done at the break. I cannot be close to my old home in Bridgeport, but i will wear my Sox colors proudly all weekend, since Notre Dame is not playing.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2012, 12:06 AM
It was those empty seats that blinded the Stupid one of the Danks brothers to not touch 2B on a flyball.Not that it matters, because the Sox have proved repeatedly the last few weeks that they can't do anything with runners in scoring position, but MLB Network re-ran that over and over, and Danks did re-touch second. He did it kind of awkwardly, not yet facing first, so it deked the umpire, but he did re-tag.

shingo10
09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
We still shouldn't be conceding anything. Gain one game in next three and try to tie in the last series. Its not complicated...and I know everyone will say that we'd have to face Verlander in Detroit and all of that but it would give us a chance.

We might actually have the law of averages in our favor...Tampa has won 8 in a row, due for a loss or two. The Sox have been awful for a while, due for a win or two. Detroit has won 4 in a row, might be time for a loss. The Twins..well baseball is a strange game.

Keep hope alive.

amsteel
09-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Ventura wasn't hired to manage a contender, he was hired to manage a middle of the pack team which is exactly what he did. The 2 best things that happened to him this year were 1) the fact the Tigers underachieved for 150 games which deflected attention from an obviously flawed Sox team, and 2) he wasn't Ozzie Guillen so people were bound to embrace him regardless of performance.

I've been a vocal critic of his from the get-go but I don't really think he can blamed for much of the choke. You don't score runs you don't win games, simple. Was RV great this year? No. Was he adequate? Absolutely. He kept the die hards interested and didn't totally screw things up which is exactly why he was hired.

If nothing else no playoff appearance means (hopefully) a legitimate reassessment of the roster and zero justification for a hike in ticket prices.

I said this this morning: Each starting position produced exactly as they were expected to (with the expection of AJ and Rios, who were above expectations) and no one had a terrible year (a la Dunn and Rios in 2011) and the team is still gonna finish in the bottom half of the AL. That says all you need to know about the collective talent level of the current roster.

captain54
09-28-2012, 01:24 AM
the disappointment stems from the Sox being practically handed a division title and not being able to capitalize. Not too many of those type of chances come along.

And, the big if not the BIGGEST reason the Sox failed to capitalize on the division almost handed to them was the inability to beat the Royals.. a team with near half the payroll as the Sox.

samurai_sox
09-28-2012, 02:21 AM
I just love how people on here think they know exactly whats going on in Robin's head. No way he leaves, why would he? He loves this franchise and I don't see him walking out on it.

My only hope for this new Hahn era is that our drafting improves, you know, one the most basic abilities that a Major League franchise must use to bring talent into the organization.

BringHomeDaBacon
09-28-2012, 03:16 AM
DeWayne Wise being sent out to pinch strike out in the 8th summed up the entire post-2005 era.

Dan H
09-28-2012, 05:04 AM

This is just plain dumb.

Noneck
09-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Throughout his playing career he was a prankster with a dry sense of humor. I have heard of him doing neither this year. I have never heard in an interview about how much he is enjoying this year and that his is really glad he took this job. As I said , It is just a gut feeling.

white sox bill
09-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Good time to collect your thoughts on this yr and write a post-mortem. I hear a lady humming.....

I can only hope that Detroit gets swept in the playoffs

Sad
09-28-2012, 06:39 AM
What a damn disappointing finish to the season

:party:

SephClone89
09-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Good time to collect your thoughts on this yr and write a post-mortem. I hear a lady humming.....

Meh. Detroit can go to the World Series for all I care. Good for them for playing some consistent baseball and holding their own just as this team has started to completely collapse.

Jurr
09-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Throughout his playing career he was a prankster with a dry sense of humor. I have heard of him doing neither this year. I have never heard in an interview about how much he is enjoying this year and that his is really glad he took this job. As I said , It is just a gut feeling.

You didn't see the guys all decked out in 70's Caddyshack gear to get on the bus earlier this year?
The lip sweater fiasco? They had fun. They just sucked at the end.

Jurr
09-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Ventura wasn't hired to manage a contender, he was hired to manage a middle of the pack team which is exactly what he did. The 2 best things that happened to him this year were 1) the fact the Tigers underachieved for 150 games which deflected attention from an obviously flawed Sox team, and 2) he wasn't Ozzie Guillen so people were bound to embrace him regardless of performance.

I've been a vocal critic of his from the get-go but I don't really think he can blamed for much of the choke. You don't score runs you don't win games, simple. Was RV great this year? No. Was he adequate? Absolutely. He kept the die hards interested and didn't totally screw things up which is exactly why he was hired.

If nothing else no playoff appearance means (hopefully) a legitimate reassessment of the roster and zero justification for a hike in ticket prices.

I said this this morning: Each starting position produced exactly as they were expected to (with the expection of AJ and Rios, who were above expectations) and no one had a terrible year (a la Dunn and Rios in 2011) and the team is still gonna finish in the bottom half of the AL. That says all you need to know about the collective talent level of the current roster.

Perfectly said.

Jollyroger2
09-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Meh. Detroit can go to the World Series for all I care. Good for them for playing some consistent baseball and holding their own just as this team has started to completely collapse.

And, they've won the majority of the head to head games vs. the Sox, which despite what many people here were saying DID seem to matter a great deal in how this division is won or lost.

There is still hope but I'm not convinced. Playing mostly solid baseball all season to lose 8 of 9 now and choke. Disgraceful.

SCCWS
09-28-2012, 07:16 AM

He is signed trough 2014 and I would guess at a a bargain rate. My guess is he will be back.

Noneck
09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
You didn't see the guys all decked out in 70's Caddyshack gear to get on the bus earlier this year?
The lip sweater fiasco? They had fun. They just sucked at the end.

I thought that was Konerkos idea.

16th&State
09-28-2012, 08:11 AM
My Sox depression hasn't fully set in yet. It was a good game until Longoria went yard. From section 506 you could tell that ball was gone and along with it the game and the season. Kudos to Peavy for pitching a hell of a game. But when you load the bases twice and continually come up empty, that says it all. This was a fun season as a Sox fan, too bad the end comes with such a whimper...

SOXSINCE'70
09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Time to quote 2 former NFL coaches:

The first is Dennis Green.This is a sample of his press conference after the Cardinals blew a 23-0 lead,losing to the Bears 24-23 in 2006.I am substituing "Tigers" for "Bears":

"The Tigers are who we thought they were;that's why we took the damn field.You wanna crown 'em,then crown their ass!They're a good team and we let 'em off the hook!"

Finally, the wit:roflmao:and wisdom of Mike Ditka:
"Yesterday's yesterday,today's today,tomorrow will be tomorrow.":rolleyes:
With this team,the way things are right now,they'll lose all 3 games.:angry:

MushMouth
09-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Kudos to Peavy. His career here started rough with lots of words and few actions. His last start at home was his gutsiest, and frankly, I think he would have pitched 150 pitches (and probably would've gotten Longoria out). This year worth it if for nothing else than seeing a great Major League pitcher get his mojo back.

In other news - **** these hitters.

SOXSINCE'70
09-28-2012, 08:27 AM
what a damn disappointing finish to the season

:party:

+1 .

SOXSINCE'70
09-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Kudos to Peavy. His career here started rough with lots of words and few actions. His last start at home was his gutsiest, and frankly, I think he would have pitched 150 pitches (and probably would've gotten Longoria out). This year worth it if for nothing else than seeing a great Major League pitcher get his mojo back.

In other news - **** these hitters.

Peavy deserved much better than this.He was warrior at times for this team in 2012.This was one of those times.Great job,Jake .Sorry the ****ty offense couldn't score runs for you.Again.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
09-28-2012, 08:36 AM
The dagger...
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/402692_10100833827170769_2019426754_n.jpg

:whiner:

I hate Fernando Rodney more than Jose Valverde right now.:(:

guillensdisciple
09-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Nah, he's really not that big of a jag bag.

DeadMoney
09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Nah, he's really not that big of a jag bag.

Yeah, I don't mind a closer celebrating a bit after a win. I actually think his bow and arrow celebration is kind of cool (hence why I was geared up for a picture of it from 300+ ft away).

Soxman219
09-28-2012, 08:57 AM

They'll be done before Monday Night Football.

Soxman219
09-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Nope, at least Rodney is actually good.

SephClone89
09-28-2012, 09:08 AM
They'll be done before Monday Night Football.

Ugh, **** football. I can't stand the way NOTHING ELSE MATTERS once the NFL kicks off. Both sports stations do nothing but talk football all the time. I don't think I've ever heard Mike and Mike discuss another sport.

Thank God for podcasts and the MLB Network. As I've said, I am PUMPED for the postseason, with or without the Sox.

soltrain21
09-28-2012, 09:09 AM

All things aside, I think the "arrow taunt" is awesome.

soltrain21
09-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Ugh, **** football. I can't stand the way NOTHING ELSE MATTERS once the NFL kicks off. Both sports stations do nothing but talk football all the time. I don't think I've ever heard Mike and Mike discuss another sport.

Thank God for podcasts and the MLB Network. As I've said, I am PUMPED for the postseason, with or without the Sox.

Seems pretty wide open this year, doesn't it?

dwitt76
09-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Nope, at least Rodney is actually good.

And somewhat in shape

DeadMoney
09-28-2012, 09:19 AM
And somewhat in shape

And doesn't take 45 seconds between every pitch.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Nellie:

Regarding your comment as far as whether the Sox issues the past few weeks have been more physical or mental I can only refer you to JB's comment where he said that to him this is not the same Sox team he watched the previous four months.

Things like Ramirez getting picked off 3rd base in K.C. , Danks not re-touching (in the eyes of the umpire - which Danks didn't dispute) second base, Robin asking Youk to bunt and pitching Four A guys in crucial situations isn't a physical problem.

A.J. quote Friday morning seems to say a lot about this question: "We want to win games, and we want to do things that are good. And when you don’t, sometimes you just try too hard. It seems like our whole team now is trying too hard."

Lip

doublem23
09-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Pretty dull game, but the crowd was pretty good, IMO. Seems like most people there have accepted the inevitable and were just trying to have 1 more fun night at the ballpark. I guess it doesn't hurt that we got our friend's dad's season tickets which were about 10 rows up, maybe 1-2 aisles to the LF side of home plate. Good seats. I guess the downer was the guy who went absolutely berserk about Jordan Danks getting doubled off 2B in the 8th inning. Luckily I had been drunk since about 5 PM so I just chuckled.

Got tickets for tonight and Saturday. Just need 1 win to clinch a winning season for me personally, which would be the first in several years IIRC. WHAT COULD BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!!!

doublem23
09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
(in the eyes of the umpire - which Danks didn't dispute) second base,

Yes he did

guillensdisciple
09-28-2012, 09:24 AM

+1000

I enjoy football, but there is so much going on besides it and I don't understand the fascination with it. Baseball is a beautiful game, football seems like something my meathead friend would be crazy about ( the kind who works out at the gym and flexes in the mirror). I like football, but I just don't get how anyone can call it a beautiful game. You of all people should be okay though, English football and world football is in gear and there are always news outlets for it.

DeadMoney
09-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Pretty dull game, but the crowd was pretty good, IMO. Seems like most people there have accepted the inevitable and were just trying to have 1 more fun night at the ballpark. I guess it doesn't hurt that we got our friend's dad's season tickets which were about 10 rows up, maybe 1-2 aisles to the LF side of home plate. Good seats. I guess the downer was the guy who went absolutely berserk about Jordan Danks getting doubled off 2B in the 8th inning. Luckily I had been drunk since about 5 PM so I just chuckled.

Got tickets for tonight and Saturday. Just need 1 win to clinch a winning season for me personally, which would be the first in several years IIRC. WHAT COULD BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!!!

I was looking right at Danks when he turned back from second and from 158 it sure looked like he came close enough to re-touching the bag... Oh well.

I have tickets for tonight and Sunday, but I will be passing on tonight in favor of free beer from 6:30-8:30 with some friends (Have to drown my sorrows, or something). With not going tonight though, I have secured a losing record for 2012 (10-16 at home, 7-3 on the road).

Lip Man 1
09-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Double:

Do you have a link to Danks' comment on that? I didn't see anything on line this morning which is why I made the statement I did. (I read the Sun-Times, Tribune and Daily Southtown every day...)

Lip

doublem23
09-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Double:

Do you have a link to Danks' comment on that? I didn't see anything on line this morning which is why I made the statement I did. (I read the Sun-Times, Tribune and Daily Southtown every day...)

Lip

No, I was at the game and saw him argue with the umpire with me own two peepers

soltrain21
09-28-2012, 09:38 AM
No, I was at the game and saw him argue with the umpire with me own two peepers

I'm gonna need a source to verify you were actually at the game. And then another to verify that verification.

Jerko
09-28-2012, 09:43 AM
OK, the way this season is ending sucks, but I will be sad to see it end. Last year i couldn't wait for it to end so I guess that's an improvement. I really though a playoff appearance would boost next year's ST base, but if they miss the playoffs I think we're in for another down year attendance wise. This bad stretch might cost them more than we think. But, two miracles happened last year on the last day, let's see what happens.

ChiSoxGal85
09-28-2012, 09:48 AM
OK, the way this season is ending sucks, but I will be sad to see it end. Last year i couldn't wait for it to end so I guess that's an improvement. I really though a playoff appearance would boost next year's ST base, but if they miss the playoffs I think we're in for another down year attendance wise. This bad stretch might cost them more than we think. But, two miracles happened last year on the last day, let's see what happens.
I agree. I was mad last night. Today I'm just sad and disappointed, because it appears White Sox baseball is coming to an end, more quickly than I'd hoped. I'll still watch and hope the Sox find the magic and the Tigers lose it, but it just isn't looking good.

kittle42
09-28-2012, 10:01 AM
DeWayne Wise being sent out to pinch strike out in the 8th summed up the entire post-2005 era.

I thought the same thing. Here is a supposed pennant winner sending out Dewayne Wise to pinch hit in the 8th inning of game 156.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Sol:

I didn't watch the game last night, I didn't listen to the game last night. I attended an Idaho State athletic department function (it's homecoming weekend) and then my wife and I went to get something to eat.

There was no mention at all about Danks arguing anything on line last night, there was no mention at all about Danks arguing anything on line this morning.

I asked for a link because I wanted to read his comments and to get a sense of how hard he was arguing.

I'm apologize if wanting to find out that information caused you a problem as it appeared to do.

Lip

amsteel
09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
a supposed pennant winner

LOLwhat?

slavko
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Not that it matters, because the Sox have proved repeatedly the last few weeks that they can't do anything with runners in scoring position, but MLB Network re-ran that over and over, and Danks did re-touch second. He did it kind of awkwardly, not yet facing first, so it deked the umpire, but he did re-tag.

I thought he retagged, then took an awkward step toward 3B on his way back to first. Did that make another tag necessary? Dunno.

Football. Play once a week and then an endless and repetitive discussion in all media of minutiae for seven days. Borrrring.

SephClone89
09-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Football. Play once a week and then an endless and repetitive discussion in all media of minutiae for seven days. Borrrring.

Exactly. That's my biggest problem with it. They can have Saturday and Sunday. They can do some preview and recap stuff. But they make a once a week sport into a 24/7 news cycle, and it drives me insane.

kittle42
09-28-2012, 10:37 AM
LOLwhat?

As of about 10 days ago, it looked pretty good, is what I meant.

white sox bill
09-28-2012, 10:44 AM

You can have them and thier little showboat releiver, and Delmon and Verlander and thier ugly uniforms. Usually I'll root for our division rivals (yes I even wanted Detroit when they gave the WS to the Cards a while back) but this yr I guess I'm just anti Detroit

SCCWS
09-28-2012, 10:46 AM
I thought the same thing. Here is a supposed pennant winner sending out Dewayne Wise to pinch hit in the 8th inning of game 156.

Should have scooped up Posednik. He continues to hit over .300

SCCWS
09-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Sol:

I didn't watch the game last night, I didn't listen to the game last night. I attended an Idaho State athletic department function (it's homecoming weekend) and then my wife and I went to get something to eat.

There was no mention at all about Danks arguing anything on line last night, there was no mention at all about Danks arguing anything on line this morning.

I asked for a link because I wanted to read his comments and to get a sense of how hard he was arguing.

I'm apologize if wanting to find out that information caused you a problem as it appeared to do.

Lip

I am not sure where he was going anyway. The play was in front of him and it appeared their guy would catch it. Why he crossed the bag at all seemed dumb.

doublem23
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Sol:

Lip

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/872/3da/b47/resized/foghorn-leghorn-meme-generator-its-a-joke-son-a-joke-712f6e.jpg?1312502024.jpg

Lip Man 1
09-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Double:

It didn't appear that way to me given the tone in the past of some of his remarks.

Perhaps he should have used this.

If he meant it as a joke than I apologize again to him.

Lip

soltrain21
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Double:

It didn't appear that way to me given the tone in the past of some of his remarks.

Perhaps he should have used this.

If he meant it as a joke than I apologize again to him.

Lip

It's okay, Lip. Let's take a picture together.

http://i.imgur.com/eF95x.gif

Tragg
09-28-2012, 02:56 PM
He is signed trough 2014 and I would guess at a a bargain rate. My guess is he will be back.
That may be okay.
His best work, imo, was handling the kids in the bullpen.
His worst work was when we started calling up the crap-veterans that the Sox love....he started using (over-using) these clowns just like Guillen did.