PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Foulke

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Next year is the last year of his contract.

If the Sox retrun him to the closer's role and he has a big year, he'll want a big pay day. I'm not so sure he'll get it from the Sox. So there is a chance next year could be his last year with the Sox.

If they make him a starter and he bombs they can get him back for less then 6 million per.

What road should they take?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Next year is the last year of his contract.

If the Sox retrun him to the closer's role and he has a big year, he'll want a big pay day. I'm not so sure he'll get it from the Sox. So there is a chance next year could be his last year with the Sox.

If they make him a starter and he bombs they can get him back for less then 6 million per.

What road should they take?

Keith Foulke is the closer on this team, or at least he should be. If you make him a starter then he will tank because every time he goes more than 1 inning he gets nailed. We know that Foulke can be a money closer when he's on so I say ease him back into the closers role now, have him as closer next season & see what happens from there.

Daver
07-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Leave him as a set up man and let him walk after next season.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
Leave him as a set up man and let him walk after next season.

and do what? Have Osuna as our closer? I'll pass on that. Foulke has had a rough season to be sure, but he seems to be getting it together again. I know that he's a lot more capable than Osuna is.

soxtalker
07-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Just heard on the Score that there was a new trade rumor that Foulke might be headed to Boston. Since Boston needs pitching, it makes some sense. Of course, these rumors haven't exactly been very accurate in the past few days.

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
and do what? Have Osuna as our closer? I'll pass on that. Foulke has had a rough season to be sure, but he seems to be getting it together again. I know that he's a lot more capable than Osuna is.

Osuna is a free agent after next season as well.

If they put Foulke back as a closer next year, and he has 45 saves or something like that he'll want a raise. Think the chairman will give him one?

guillen4life13
07-28-2002, 05:51 PM
it has always been said that a guy like dan wright would do well as a closer... but what about bringing up edwin almonte? i've heard that he is the closer of the future... and if it isn't almonte... and ginter isn't starting... have matt ginter close them out.

foulke does not deserve 6 mil a year, at least if he's gonna be hit or miss.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Osuna is a free agent after next season as well.

If they put Foulke back as a closer next year, and he has 45 saves or something like that he'll want a raise. Think the chairman will give him one?

No. I wouldn't pay more than 6 mil for a dude who pitches 1 inning & that's it. Id hate to lose him, but if demands too much money we could say FOULKE YOU to Keith and Osuna & stick Marte in the closers spot.

Daver
07-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

No. I wouldn't pay more than 6 mil for a dude who pitches 1 inning & that's it. Id hate to lose him, but if demands too much money we could say FOULKE YOU to Keith and Osuna & stick Marte in the closers spot.

After next season Almonte should be ready,and Royce Ring will be close,if not ready also.

duke of dorwood
07-28-2002, 09:46 PM
Gotta get him some saves next year, to trade mid-season-and have Ring ready.

guillen4life13
07-28-2002, 09:48 PM
ring is still in rookie ball. don't expect him to be up here just a year after he was drafted. i think almonte is more likely to be the answer next year.

Daver
07-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
ring is still in rookie ball. don't expect him to be up here just a year after he was drafted. i think almonte is more likely to be the answer next year.

Ring is in high A ball,and was considered one of the most MLB ready players out of the draft.It is likely he will start next season in Birmingham and never see Charlotte at all.

StepsInSC
07-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Am i the only one who think Foulke didn't really have that bad of a year? He blew a few starts and JM lost faith in him, which of course would make anyone lose some confidence in yourself...if your coach can't trust you then who can. I'm not one to normally blame the coach for stuff.....but Foulke should have never been removed from the closer spot. It took away what little identity our bullpen previously had.

Daver
07-28-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Am i the only one who think Foulke didn't really have that bad of a year? He blew a few starts and JM lost faith in him, which of course would make anyone lose some confidence in yourself...if your coach can't trust you then who can. I'm not one to normally blame the coach for stuff.....but Foulke should have never been removed from the closer spot. It took away what little identity our bullpen previously had.

The sooner Foulke is gone in my opinion the better,this season proved that the AL has caught up with his gimmick pitch,and he has nothing else to fall back on.He is an overpaid set up man at best.