PDA

View Full Version : Sox need to acquire a catcher

balboner
07-28-2002, 03:00 PM
With all the talk of how the Sox need to acquire pitchers, I feel that a more glaring weakness on the team is at the catching position. Teams are stealing at will against us, as MJ and Sandy have horrible arms. MJ's hitting is just flat-out pathetic also, and this team really will need a solid catcher next year. I've heard the Sox want to sign Dan Wilson next year. Any thoughts?

Randar68
07-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by balboner
With all the talk of how the Sox need to acquire pitchers, I feel that a more glaring weakness on the team is at the catching position. Teams are stealing at will against us, as MJ and Sandy have horrible arms. MJ's hitting is just flat-out pathetic also, and this team really will need a solid catcher next year. I've heard the Sox want to sign Dan Wilson next year. Any thoughts?

I would prefer that Olivo gets another year in AAA to continue to work on his receiving skills. However, he's probably the most MLB ready, hitting-wise of MJ, Paul, and himself. Discipline is still something I'd like to see him improve on. That does not apply to only taking walks, because he is pretty decent in that regards. However, as a basestealer and fundamentally BEHIND the plate, he needs work. Quick feet, great arm...

voodoochile
07-28-2002, 03:07 PM
I would love to see some stability at one of the two most important positions on the field. Sox haven't had a regular catcher since Officer K left. Stop using stop gap measures at such an important spot. Find a 27 YO catcher who is a FA and can play good defense while hitting .270 with some power and sign them to a 4 year contract. Stop dicking around...

MarkEdward
07-28-2002, 05:19 PM
The Rockies have 4 very useful catchers: Ben Petrick, Bobby Estalella (although he's on the DL), Gary Bennett, and Adam Melhuse. It seems like the Rockies have given up on Petrick, because they're trying him at different positions. Maybe we could deal Rowand for one of these players (although that leaves a hole in the outfield). MJ's just having a down year. I hope he'll remain on this team for a few more years.

SOXSINCE'70
07-28-2002, 05:32 PM
The Royals stole 3 bases in 2 innings off him today.Even though it was Biddle's slooooowwww delivery to the plate that allowed those bases thefts,MJ was throwing one hoppers in the dirt to Harris or Clayton,and on one attempt MJ airmailed the baseball over Willie Harris' leap.
Yes,catcher is a weak position on this club.There will be an FA out there that could solve that problem this off season.But we all kinow Chairman Cheapskate would NEVER issue Ivan Rodriguez a fair deal.The Rangers can't afford both "I-Rod" and Paywad.

Can't wait to see what the Twinkies will do to our catchers this week. Hint: it won't be pretty.

:sellreinsy

"It's all the fans fault anyway.Foulke all of you!!"

Daver
07-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

Yes,catcher is a weak position on this club.There will be an FA out there that could solve that problem this off season.But we all kinow Chairman Cheapskate would NEVER issue Ivan Rodriguez a fair deal.The Rangers can't afford both "I-Rod" and Paywad.

I-Rod isn't even close to worth the money he is going to demand,when is the last time he had a season free from missing a good stretch on the DL?

Tragg
07-28-2002, 07:04 PM
At any one time in the majors, there are less than 5 catchers who bring real first rate batting and fielding skills. Those guys are expensive ($$ and trying to trade for them). Average catchers are tough to trade for. so, don't bother. Develop one of our own. Brad ausmus, whom is considered in the top tier of catchers, can't hit worth a lick. Screw it.