PDA

View Full Version : Final Eight

PorkChopExpress
09-26-2012, 09:50 AM
These last eight games are either going to be

PD5Imb7vWSc

or

i6zGEBhJMHA

Who's up for sending our Sox a tub of blue face paint?

Go Sox!

And sorry for the length of the videos. I couldn't find shorter ones.

voodoochile
09-26-2012, 10:26 AM
8 game season OMG how cool is that? GO SOX!

BAROOOOOO! <-----------my war cry (get your own)

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I have to say that I am very calm and enjoying these last 8 games.

I could be wrong (and I'll defer to people smarter than me on this), but when the Sox have either tied the division lead or ceded it briefly to the Tigers, they got hot and took it right back. What better time to do this than with 8 games remaining?

Couldn't have a better ending to a good season. Beat the Kittens and win the division. :gulp:

Crooked Number
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
As abysmal the play on the field has been in this month, there is the chance that the Sox can turn it on these last 8 and still pull it out. They have a chance, and as a fan, with 8 games remaining that is exciting as hell. Anything can happen. Go Sox.

harwar
09-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to each and every game .. every pitch means something now .. every morning i'm optimistic that this is the day that the White Sox will start playing with fire again .. i thought that Dunn's big home run the other night would jump start the offense but maybe it will take a big inning like JB said,string several hits together and then they are off to the races .. at any rate i fully expect us to win the division ..

Lip Man 1
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I hope they pull out of this funk. It's up to the players to start producing when they have guys on base.

Something other than solo home runs would be helpful.

By the way they have now hit 111 solo home runs this year...that's 55% of the overall home run total.

Lip

PaleHoser
09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
I believe!

doublem23
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
By the way they have now hit 111 solo home runs this year...that's 55% of the overall home run total.

That's actually one of the lowest percentages of HR that are solo HR in the American League

TEAM HR SOLO PCT
TBR 158 103 65.2
KCR 123 76 61.8
DET 154 94 61.0
OAK 182 111 61.0
SEA 140 85 60.7
LAA 182 108 59.3
NYY 232 137 59.1
TEX 190 111 58.4
MIN 127 74 58.3
BAL 197 113 57.4
SOX 202 110 54.5
BOS 160 87 54.4
TOR 189 102 54.0
CLE 132 69 52.3

SephClone89
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
That's actually one of the lowest percentages of HR that are solo HR in the American League

Yeah, I saw Gonzales cite the same statistic in today's Trib and suspected as much.

When you think about it just by the percentages, it's probably fairly likely that any given plate appearance, regardless of the outcome, will occur with the bases empty.

doublem23
09-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I saw Gonzales cite the same statistic in today's Trib and suspected as much.

When you think about it just by the percentages, it's probably fairly likely that any given plate appearance, regardless of the outcome, will occur with the bases empty.

Yeah, bases empty is by far the most likely situation a hitter steps to the plate with so it's no surprise that every team in the AL has solo HR account for over 1/2 their total HR total. It's just funny to see guys point that the Sox have hit 55% of their HR with the bases empty, like that's some kind of bad thing, yet not even bother to do the 5 minutes of research to see the context of that number, that 55% is actually a good percentage and every other team in the AL play-off chase hits a higher percentage of solo HR than the Sox.

kittle42
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, bases empty is by far the most likely situation a hitter steps to the plate with so it's no surprise that every team in the AL has solo HR account for over 1/2 their total HR total. It's just funny to see guys point that the Sox have hit 55% of their HR with the bases empty, like that's some kind of bad thing, yet not even bother to do the 5 minutes of research to see the context of that number, that 55% is actually a good percentage and every other team in the AL play-off chase hits a higher percentage of solo HR than the Sox.

You mean it was another Lip stat that was presented out of the context of the performance of the other 29 teams? Shocker. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Which does nothing to change the fact that they aren't driving in runs with guys on base does it?

Nothing wrong with solo home runs unless that's the only way you are scoring is it?

Doesn't matter what other teams are doing, what matters is what the Sox do. Don't understand why that is so hard to figure out. Other teams score runs in different ways and perhaps aren't as reliant on the "home run or nothing approach..."

I didn't make the statement to make any particular point, I didn't, just thought it was worth nothing.

Lip

kittle42
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Doesn't matter what other teams are doing, what matters is what the Sox do. Don't understand why that is so hard to figure out.

You often cite Sox stats, as you did here, making them sound bad when, if you compare their performance with that of other teams, does not turn out to be the case. In fact, this is a perfect example of it. When it comes to such stats, it absolutely matters what other teams are doing because the stats by themselves have no meaningw ithout that context.

Example: "The Sox scored have scored 54.5% of the Sox' homers have been solo."

OK. That *sounds* bad. But what does it really mean? How can you tell whether that number is good or bad without knowing where it stands in comparison to the other teams?

If you want to point out how the Sox are performing poorly, there are PLENTY of examples. My beef is using stats that don't actually support your position (one with which I agree, by the way).

doublem23
09-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Considering the Sox are in direct competition with the other 13 members of the American League, to say "it doesn't matter what the other teams do," is... mind boggling.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with hitting solo shots if you can find other ways to score runs. Which is good, because the Sox don't actually hit a lot of solo HR, relatively speaking.

Dan H
09-26-2012, 12:19 PM

There's nothing wrong with a solo home run anytime. The recent troubles the team has been having is not scoring in any other way. In the second game against Cleveland got three solo shots - and only three hits besides that. That earned a one run loss.

doublem23
09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with a solo home run anytime. The recent troubles the team has been having is not scoring in any other way. In the second game against Cleveland got three solo shots - and only three hits besides that. That earned a one run loss.

WHICH IS ALL FINE, except that stating "oh by the way, the 55% of the Sox's HRs are solo HR" doesn't address any of that, either.

Soxman219
09-26-2012, 12:51 PM
It's time to have our patented 8-game winning streaks again.:smile:

PaleHoser
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm surprised the percentage isn't higher considering the regular lineup has three hitters with OBP below .300.

Crestani
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I would be willing to bet that if anyone told us back in April, the Sox and Tigers would be tied with 8 games to play, we all would have been es tactic...!!!

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
...we all would have been es tactic...!!!:?:

LoveYourSuit
09-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I would be willing to bet that if anyone told us back in April, the Sox and Tigers would be tied with 8 games to play, we all would have been es tactic...!!!

@20 plus games over. 500 I would have said yes.

It's killing me that we have not capitalized to put this away despite Tigers having a dissapointing year based on the expectations for them.

voodoochile
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Yep, in MLB to date this year, teams have an average of 5245 AB and 2195 AB with men on base for a 41.8% ratio of at bats with runners on to total at bats. The number of at bats with RISP drops to 1263. The Sox are actually low here coming in at 23rd in the league at 1205 total AB with RISP, but surprisingly are 6th with a .272 BA in those AB. Their 464 RBI in those situations comes in 13th. That's pretty much an average of those two numbers. All these stats are for all of MLB, not just the AL.

Not really germane to the conversation, but still interesting...

hawkjt
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Eight is enough....wins that is.

Starts tonite...win tonite,and the Sox will have a game lead.
Tigers will lose to Guthrie tonite,and then Mendoza tomorrow nite,and then they hit the road,where they stink.

This aint over gang.

XplodingScorbord
09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Eight is enough....wins that is.

Starts tonite...win tonite,and the Sox will have a game lead.
Tigers will lose to Guthrie tonite,and then Mendoza tomorrow nite,and then they hit the road,where they stink.

This aint over gang.

Take solace. The Tigers last six are away from Comerica. They will lose at least three of those, and if we get a little luck, they'll drop four. We control our own destiny. Just win and everything is good.

Soxman219
09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Take solace. The Tigers last six are away from Comerica. They will lose at least three of those, and if we get a little luck, they'll drop four. We control our own destiny. Just win and everything is good.

Exactly, people don't realize how big of an advantage we truly have here.

cards press box
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Probably true. The Sox have raised expectations this year and that is a good thing.

It's time to have our patented 8-game winning streaks again.:smile:

I like the thought. For the past week or so, I -- like most Sox fans -- have felt a lot like this poor guy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Iec265_pyQ/TeKreRDZz-I/AAAAAAAANmA/Of-7n199DBQ/s1600/Ultimate+dog+tease.jpg

A couple of Sox wins and some Tiger losses would be nice!

nwisox
09-27-2012, 02:38 PM

This mentality is really getting old (no offense to you personally of course)

The players are going wear this one out the next day or two.