PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pitching Rotation Rest Of Season

palehosepub
09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Per Trib this morning, Peavy pushed to Thursday against Rays, Santiago to face left handed heavy Tribe on Wednesday. Sale will pitch his final regular season game Sunday so he would not be available for a potential one game playoff with Tigers if it happened.

Rotation:
Tuesday Liriano
Weds Santiago
Thursday Peavy
Friday Quintana
Saturday Floyd
Sunday Sale
Monday Liriano

No comment on last two games, hopefully we clinch by then and its Ommogrosso or somebody like that....

#1swisher
09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Scott Merkin

Sale pitching Sunday means he wouldn't go the last game in Cleveland with season on the line or start potential Game 163 on three days

Sale could work in relief, especially in a Game 163. Ventura likes how Sale has responded with extra day

Noneck
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
The last 2 I assume would be Peavy forsure and then Quintana/Santiago and the kitchen sink. I sure dont want it to go that far.

Foulke You
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
If it comes to Game 162, I'd be a bit nervous giving the ball to Liriano. He is such a coin flip with his control. As a previous poster pointed out, with any luck, it will be Axelrod or Omogrosso starting that game with a hung over group of White Sox starters in the dugout.:cool:

palehosepub
09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
If Peavy is needed next Tuesday's game in Cleveland he would be able to pitch on the Sunday (2nd game) playoff game, with Sale rested well for game one on Saturday.

Lets get there!

amsteel
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I like it. Regardless Sale and Verlander are only gonna pitch 1 more game, give Sale the extra day. And let a fairly impressive Santiago work against a LH heavy Cleveland.

I'll easily take Peavy and Quintana in games 161 & 162. It would appear the Sox are setting up to win it in regulation, otherwise its gonna be Floyd in 163. ***shudders***

TheOldRoman
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't like that this sets up Floyd to pitch a potential game 163, but you've got to play every game to win. If giving the rotation an extra day of rest gives each pitcher a better chance of winning his game, you've got to do it. There will undoubtedly be lots of second guessers if the Sox get to and lose game 163, but you can't worry about that game now.

mantis1212
09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Sweet, I'm going on Sunday- like our chances of seeing a win with Sale on the mound

doublem23
09-25-2012, 01:27 PM
I like it. Regardless Sale and Verlander are only gonna pitch 1 more game, give Sale the extra day. And let a fairly impressive Santiago work against a LH heavy Cleveland.

I'll easily take Peavy and Quintana in games 161 & 162. It would appear the Sox are setting up to win it in regulation, otherwise its gonna be Floyd in 163. ***shudders***

I don't like that this sets up Floyd to pitch a potential game 163, but you've got to play every game to win. If giving the rotation an extra day of rest gives each pitcher a better chance of winning his game, you've got to do it. There will undoubtedly be lots of second guessers if the Sox get to and lose game 163, but you can't worry about that game now.

Floyd's track record against the Tigers makes him a pretty solid pick for a Game 163, though. Just keep him on a short leash. Since he's come back from the DL, he's been brilliant to start but once he hits the wall, he hits the wall.

mantis1212

Floyd has looked better recently, and he do well against the Tigers. Overall these look like good moves

JB98

I think the Sox have only beaten Verlander once in the last three years. Floyd was the guy who did it -- in Detroit.

Ventura is probably trying to do everything in his power to win it in 162. I don't think anyone feels good about facing the Tigers (and Verlander) in a Game 163 in Detroit. I wouldn't feel good about that even if Sale were in line to pitch that game.

balke
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
If Sox struggle, I'm guessing Sale gets the start Saturday so he'd be on 4 days rest for Wednesday.

SoxFanCPA
09-25-2012, 01:42 PM
If Sox struggle, I'm guessing Sale gets the start Saturday so he'd be on 4 days rest for Wednesday.

That's only 3 days of rest.

Sale will start Sunday then Game 1 of ALDS.

hawkjt
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
This looks brilliant only if Hector Santiago pitches well,and the Sox win on wednesday. Make it happen,Hector!

If he does win,then it sets the Sox up with a rested rotation for the final 7 games. I was wondering if Sale could go again on Saturday,and then Wednesday to close out the season...probably pushing it.

Peavy needs to pitch two great games on Thursday and Tuesday...have to have it,Jake!

The Rays have their 4 best lined up...I was praying they would be out of it by now,but not gonna happen,so we get Shields,Hellickson,Moore,and probably Price on Sunday...ouch.

Sox bats simply have to get hot.:smile:

PorkChopExpress
09-25-2012, 01:59 PM
This looks brilliant only if Hector Santiago pitches well,and the Sox win on wednesday. Make it happen,Hector!

If he does win,then it sets the Sox up with a rested rotation for the final 7 games. I was wondering if Sale could go again on Saturday,and then Wednesday to close out the season...probably pushing it.

Peavy needs to pitch two great games on Thursday and Tuesday...have to have it,Jake!

The Rays have their 4 best lined up...I was praying they would be out of it by now,but not gonna happen,so we get Shields,Hellickson,Moore,and probably Price on Sunday...ouch.

Sox bats simply have to get hot.:smile:

You have to beat the best to be the best, I guess. And in the meantime the Tigers get the great Mendoza, Scott Diamond, P.J. Walters and Liam Hendriks. Yikes.

amsteel
09-25-2012, 02:08 PM
You have to beat the best to be the best, I guess. And in the meantime the Tigers get the great Mendoza, Scott Diamond, P.J. Walters and Liam Hendriks. Yikes.

Diamond beat the Tigers last weekend and Walters went 6 giving up 1 run.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I think the Sox have only beaten Verlander once in the last three years. Floyd was the guy who did it -- in Detroit.

Ventura is probably trying to do everything in his power to win it in 162. I don't think anyone feels good about facing the Tigers (and Verlander) in a Game 163 in Detroit. I wouldn't feel good about that even if Sale were in line to pitch that game.

I'm pretty sure they beat him at the Cell last year, too. I had tickets but couldn't go and my sister ended up going with my dad.

EDIT: here it is
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201107150.shtml

Looks like that's the only time.

JB98
09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they beat him at the Cell last year, too. I had tickets but couldn't go and my sister ended up going with my dad.

EDIT: here it is
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201107150.shtml

Looks like that's the only time.

Looks like that game was at Detroit, and indeed, Floyd was the winning pitcher.

voodoochile
09-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Looks like that game was at Detroit, and indeed, Floyd was the winning pitcher.

Quintana is currently pitching for the Sox are you sure he is starting Friday?

JB98
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Quintana is currently pitching for the Sox are you sure he is starting Friday?

He is the listed starter, although I'm sure they could change it again. He only threw to two batters, so that probably doesn't take him out of consideration for a Friday start.

FielderJones
09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Monday Liriano

Can we change that to "Anybody Else"?

palehosepub
09-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Can we change that to "Anybody Else"?

Agreed - even though Axelrod is a righty I'd prefer him vs the Indians

sox1970
09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Looks like they've already changed their minds again.

Santiago, Peavy, Floyd, Sale on Saturday, TBD on Sunday and Monday.

amsteel
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM

You mean the Sox don't trust Liriano to pitch a high leverage game? SHOCKING

Lip Man 1
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Seems like 2008 where they just couldn't get the rotation set up for the playoffs and they paid the price for it.

Lip

all*star quentin
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

to neutralize a Cleveland lineup that has gone 16-35 against left-handed starters this season.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_09_26_clemlb_chamlb_1&mode=preview&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=cws

Chez
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Seems like 2008 where they just couldn't get the rotation set up for the playoffs and they paid the price for it.

Lip

Yeah; but in 2008 Sox had to play the make-up game against Detroit on Monday and then Game 163 against the Twins on Tuesday before starting the playoffs in Tampa on Wednesday.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Chez:

And why did they have to do that? Because they couldn't even win one game at Minnesota which would probably have iced it and let them set it up the way it should have been. At that time the Metrodome was the club's designated "house of horrors..." de jour.

They didn't win games when they needed to and it cost them although at least in 2008 they actually got to the post season. It remains to be seen what will happen in 2012.

Lip

#1swisher
09-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Comcast SportsNet
Jose Quintana will start the last regular season home game for the #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash) Sunday vs. Tampa Bay http://cmcst.sn/aabgBI (http://t.co/p4gFlEFG)