PDA

View Full Version : Wall Street Journal: How Biased Is Your Announcer?

kba
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
The conclusion (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444180004578016652376246198.html?K EYWORDS=harrelson) is predictable. Some good comments from Hawk:

"You just made my day," Harrelson said when told of his place in the biased standings. "That's the biggest compliment you could give me, to call me the biggest homer in baseball."Kudos to the Wall Street Journal for actually interviewing Hawk about his announcing style, rather than just bashing him. But it's probably not fair to do this so late in the season when so many teams are out of the race and the announcers don't have much to root for.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
The conclusion (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444180004578016652376246198.html?K EYWORDS=harrelson) is predictable. Some good comments from Hawk:

Kudos to the Wall Street Journal for actually interviewing Hawk about his announcing style, rather than just bashing him. But it's probably not fair to do this so late in the season when so many teams are out of the race and the announcers don't have much to root for.

:hawk

"I looooove it when you analyze."

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Let's just win the World Series this year and have Hawk ride off into the sunset.

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I love Hawk. He is a homer like me and that's perfectly fine, no one else I would rather hear running down a division race.

hawkjt
09-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Hawk embraces the criticism....I like that. He is old enough to just tell them to go kiss his arse.

As the comments on this story show....their are other fanbases that wish their guys were as passionate for their teams.

As was pointed out, Hawk compliments opposing teams and players more than most broadcasters also. He just loves baseball,and good baseball players,no matter the uniform.

Sox fans will miss him when he is gone and we have an Albert-clone on the broadcast,who is neutral,and vanilla.....hey,gang,it is still supposed to be entertainment!

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Hawk embraces the criticism....I like that. He is old enough to just tell them to go kiss his arse.

As the comments on this story show....their are other fanbases that wish their guys were as passionate for their teams.

As was pointed out, Hawk compliments opposing teams and players more than most broadcasters also. He just loves baseball,and good baseball players,no matter the uniform.

Sox fans will miss him when he is gone and we have an Albert-clone on the broadcast,who is neutral,and vanilla.....hey,gang,it is still supposed to be entertainment!

Don't we have that problem in our radio booth. I haven't listened to radio broadcasts since 2005 barring a couple of innings here and there and every time I am in the car I rush home to turn the tv on and the radio off. If that is what I have to be subjected to, I hope the sox hire another homer.

aryzner
09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
LOL @ Red Sox and Yankee broadcasts not having any homerism in them. They don't need that - ESPN fulfills that task for them well beyond even what a White Sox broadcast does for the White Sox.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Fairly recently I turned on a Dodgers game late at night. Extra innings, Dodgers in scoring position, and to listen to Scully you would never know which team he works for. He couldn't have been less excited if he'd been tranquilized. It was like he was doing a Joe Friday "just the facts, ma'am" imitation. I hope we never come to that.

white sox bill
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Fairly recently I turned on a Dodgers game late at night. Extra innings, Dodgers in scoring position, and to listen to Scully you would never know which team he works for. He couldn't have been less excited if he'd been tranquilized. It was like he was doing a Joe Friday "just the facts, ma'am" imitation. I hope we never come to that.
Funny you should mention that, I was just talking to a friend that lives up in the Valley and I mentioned that Scully really has a calming, soothing voice and that I'm sure there is a place for that. Just not sports

PatK
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Having had XM since 2006, I can tell you that most announcers are terrible, even many of the "great" ones.

GlassSox
09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
We could have told the Wall Street Journal a long time ago that Hawk is the # 1 homer but he is our homer. :cool:

russ99
09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Having had XM since 2006, I can tell you that most announcers are terrible, even many of the "great" ones.

Kind of sad they limited this to local team announcers, since there's plenty of so called "national" announcers that are vastly more biased than Hawk.

IMO, Berman would have his own category.

The beauty of Hawk is that he doesn't try to hide it. It's his calling card.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM

That's how he likes it. A lot of people appreciate him for that.

I don't see why you have to tear him down everytime he's mentioned.

doublem23
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
That's how he likes it. A lot of people appreciate him for that.

I don't see why you have to tear him down everytime he's mentioned.

Because he thinks he sucks? Plenty of people tear down Hawk every chance they get due to their own personal preference.

I don't like Scully much, either.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
For those of you who think Hawk can be overbearing,would you rather have Gary Thorne back?? And how unlistenable would games be with John Sterling at the mike??

Just asking.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 01:23 PM
For those of you who think Hawk can be overbearing,would you rather have Gary Thorne back?? And how unlistenable would games be with John Sterling at the mike??

Just asking.

I wasn't around when he worked for the Sox, but I hear Thorne on occasion now and while I can see why people wouldn't like him...yes, I would take him over Hawk.

And John Sterling might be the worst play-by-play man not named Hawk Harrelson, so he's not really the alternative here. The way Hawk calls a game is just as bad as the way Sterling does.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
I wasn't around when he worked for the Sox, but I hear Thorne on occasion now and while I can see why people wouldn't like him...yes, I would take him over Hawk.

And John Sterling might be the worst play-by-play man not named Hawk Harrelson, so he's not really the alternative here. The way Hawk calls a game is just as bad as the way Sterling does.

Thorne worked for the Sox doing television PBP in the late 80's.
The man who came after he left?? Hawk.

And as far as Hawk being as bad as Sterling,there are a few times when you have a valid point.Whenever I hear "Don't stop now,boys",I want to throw rocks at my HD screen.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Regarding the idea that Yankee announcers aren't biased is ludicrous...totally, completely nuts.

Yankee announcers HAVE BEEN FIRED because they were to critical of the team. (Example #1 Jim Kaat who when he was hired back had it written into his contract that he could not be fired for giving his opinion on the team even if it was critical...)

Lip

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Don't we have that problem in our radio booth. I haven't listened to radio broadcasts since 2005 barring a couple of innings here and there and every time I am in the car I rush home to turn the tv on and the radio off. If that is what I have to be subjected to, I hope the sox hire another homer.

The radio booth is just really awful overall.

The radio team has many problems, but being "straight down the middle" professionals is not one of them.

I actually listen to fewer Sox games when driving than I would otherwise because of how much I can't stand Farmer and DJ.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Because he thinks he sucks? Plenty of people tear down Hawk every chance they get due to their own personal preference.

I don't like Scully much, either.
Scully's as boring as they come. When I'm watching sports, I want to hear passion. Telling the "facts and only the facts" displays zero passion. I'd rather watch Golf TV than listen to Scully. I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.

I don't think this list means what you think it means.

soltrain21
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
We could have told the Wall Street Journal a long time ago that Hawk is the # 1 homer but he is our homer. :cool:

I prefer not to claim him.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't think this list means what you think it means.
I know what the list means.

thomas35forever
09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Scully's as boring as they come. When I'm watching sports, I want to hear passion. Telling the "facts and only the facts" displays zero passion. I'd rather watch Golf TV than listen to Scully. I'm glad he's at the bottom of this list.
C'mon. Where else are you going to hear stories about ice skating with Jackie Robinson?:D:

SephClone89
09-26-2012, 12:16 AM
I know what the list means.

Why are you "glad" that Vin Scully is relatively unbiased?

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I love The Hawk. I love that Hawk is not a clone of the other bland, vanilla announcers.

Cubbie fans in particular love to bash The Hawk (then say they never watch Sox games...) but they warmly embraced Harry Caray who allowed much of his personality to be neutered but his homerism for the Cubbies was warmly embraced by Cubbie fans.

If the Sox foist some broadcaster with all the unique personality of a strip mall in place of The Hawk you can bet that Sox TV ratings will drop.

You keep going Hawk!

MUsoxfan
09-26-2012, 01:00 AM
I enjoy Hawk. I used to really love the Hawk. He was great until he became a caricature of himself.

If I lived out of market as a fan of another team and only had the Sox feed to watch, I'd want to throw my TV out the window when the Sox do something great. I love that

A broadcaster for a specific team should have a rooting interest in the team that pays him and it should be noticeable.

Hawk has gone from "homer" to "cartoon" and I think that's unfortunate.

ComiskeyBrewer
09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
I realize that it's not that scientific of a poll, but they listened to one game from each team and determined who has the biggest homers? Good lord. That's just plain lazy. At the very least, take a week's worth of games.

soltrain21
09-26-2012, 06:20 AM
I love The Hawk. I love that Hawk is not a clone of the other bland, vanilla announcers.

Cubbie fans in particular love to bash The Hawk (then say they never watch Sox games...) but they warmly embraced Harry Caray who allowed much of his personality to be neutered but his homerism for the Cubbies was warmly embraced by Cubbie fans.

If the Sox foist some broadcaster with all the unique personality of a strip mall in place of The Hawk you can bet that Sox TV ratings will drop.

You keep going Hawk!

You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.

LITTLE NELL
09-26-2012, 06:23 AM
I would not want it any other way, I want my announcer to be a homer.
''Don't stop now Hawk''.
No one ever had any problem with ''Thats a White Sox wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars'' or ''Hey Hey That a way Minnie'' or '' Oh Oh for a long one''.

white sox bill
09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I dont care if its Hawk, DJ, Stoney or Farms, as long as the final words are "Thats a Sox winner!" is all I care

SephClone89
09-26-2012, 06:45 AM
I would not want it any other way, I want my announcer to be a homer.
''Don't stop now Hawk''.
No one ever had any problem with ''Thats a White Sox wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars'' or ''Hey Hey That a way Minnie'' or '' Oh Oh for a long one''.

The problem isn't just that he's a homer. The problem is that he's bad at broadcasting.

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.

That may be true however it does not explain the fact that Cubbie fans love to say they ignore the Sox, pay the Sox no attention, blah blah blah...but then talk about (bash) The Hawk, constantly. If you are claiming that it's just the 3 games a year that The Hawk broadcasts on the Cubs/Sox games that compels Cubbie fans to talk about The Hawk, then you are wrong. Cubbie fans talk more about The Hawk than they do about Andre Dawson.

harwar
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM

He's better now than when he was here .. i watch the orioles quite a bit and i enjoy when Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer are together

doublem23
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
The problem isn't just that he's a homer. The problem is that he's bad at broadcasting.

Basically, I don't care about the homerism, I actually like that. Who would want bland objectivity from their hometown team's PBP guy?

It's just that Hawk sucks. He's a walking sound board and has an "Aw shucks" Southern drawl that I personally do not like. But I have no problem with him openly rooting for the Sox.

asindc
09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Why are you "glad" that Vin Scully is relatively unbiased?

Why should any Sox fan care that Scully is relatively unbiased? How does that affect the enjoyment of any game for a Sox fan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really would like to know.

kba
09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Basically, I don't care about the homerism, I actually like that. Who would want bland objectivity from their hometown team's PBP guy?

It's just that Hawk sucks. He's a walking sound board and has an "Aw shucks" Southern drawl that I personally do not like. But I have no problem with him openly rooting for the Sox.

Personally, I don't mind Hawk rooting for the Sox when something good happens. But I can't stand his sulking and silence when things go bad. I don't always have my eyes glued to the set when a game is on, so it would be nice if Hawk would actually say something when there's a key play -- even if it's an opponent's home run or a Sox strike out.

I can see how his "angry shutdown mode" might appeal to most diehard fans, but I doubt it does a lot to attract casual fans, kids, and new viewers to the broadcasts.

SephClone89
09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Why should any Sox fan care that Scully is relatively unbiased? How does that affect the enjoyment of any game for a Sox fan? I'm not asking rhetorically, I really would like to know.

I'm just trying to figure out what Heather meant by "I'm glad [Scully] is on the bottom of this list [meaning he is quite impartial]"

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Personally, I don't mind Hawk rooting for the Sox when something good happens. But I can't stand his sulking and silence when things go bad. I don't always have my eyes glued to the set when a game is on, so it would be nice if Hawk would actually say something when there's a key play -- even if it's an opponent's home run or a Sox strike out.

I can see how his "angry shutdown mode" might appeal to most diehard fans, but I doubt it does a lot to attract casual fans, kids, and new viewers to the broadcasts.

What they want are viewers and they know that people will turn to the Sox game just to hear/see Hawk's response.

Hate Hawk or love Hawk, Hawk boosts ratings.

soltrain21
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
That may be true however it does not explain the fact that Cubbie fans love to say they ignore the Sox, pay the Sox no attention, blah blah blah...but then talk about (bash) The Hawk, constantly. If you are claiming that it's just the 3 games a year that The Hawk broadcasts on the Cubs/Sox games that compels Cubbie fans to talk about The Hawk, then you are wrong. Cubbie fans talk more about The Hawk than they do about Andre Dawson.

Every fan base knows how biased and bad Hawk is. EVERY FAN BASE. Especially when you live in the same city the guy broadcasts in. That last sentence coming from you is hilarious. Blaming a fan base for caring about something other than their team.

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Hawk has gone from "homer" to "cartoon" and I think that's unfortunate.Maybe it's just me, but I think he's toned it down some this year.

You don't have to watch more than 3 Sox games in order to get Hawk's entire soundboard he calls an announcing career.That's true of almost all sports announcers. There's only so many ways you can say things, and they like to develop "trademark" calls. Hell, Caray was absolutely overflowing with them.

The problem isn't just that he's a homer. The problem is that he's bad at broadcasting.In your opinion.

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Every fan base knows how biased and bad Hawk is. EVERY FAN BASE. Especially when you live in the same city the guy broadcasts in. That last sentence coming from you is hilarious. Blaming a fan base for caring about something other than their team.

Here's the thing, I don't care if Cubs fans talk about the Sox. I don't care if Sox fans talk about the Cubs. I think it's only natural to do so.

What I said and you conveniently glossed over in your haste to post that petty personal shot is that Cub fans say they ignore the Sox, never pay them any attention so then why does Hawk bother them so?

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think he's toned it down some this year.

That's true of almost all sports announcers. There's only so many ways you can say things, and they like to develop "trademark" calls. Hell, Caray was absolutely overflowing with them.

In your opinion.

To a couple of the regulars it's not an opinion, it's established fact, an incontrovertible truth.

kittle42
09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

I have noticed that one of the first things I get made fun of if someone outside Chicago is making fun of me for being a Sox fan is Hawk. His homerism is widely known.

I actually like him still. As much as I cringe at some of his schtick, I still prefer it to none.

DrCrawdad
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have noticed that one of the first things I get made fun of if someone outside Chicago is making fun of me for being a Sox fan is Hawk. His homerism is widely known.

I actually like him still. As much as I cringe at some of his schtick, I still prefer it to none.

Hawk is a larger than life type personality, he always has been. Chicago magazine recently had an article that was about that. Hawk's personality, his shtick well it's not as though Chicago won't accept that, see Harry Caray and well Ron Santo except for that Santo was a radio broadcaster who had great difficultly speaking.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-26-2012, 02:24 PM

But that's not what the article is about. Hawk's a homer, duh. Where it is written, or why even would it be, that announcers who work for and are paid by a team -- not network announcers broadcasting to a wider audience -- should not be cheerleaders for that team? Caray was a homer for the Cards, a homer for the Sox, then a homer for the Cubs, in sequence, as each team employed him. Yet he's revered by some. And, by the end, he was pretty bad at broadcasting.

SoxFan1979
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM

That's right!!!! I love Hawk. Been listening to him since I can remember and I'm 33. Its All Goooood! =D

16th&State
09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I love Hawk. He's that familiar Sox voice I have known since I was a kid. He is a gigantic homer and I love it. I am a gigantic homer too. Some of his schtick does get old and he certainly doesn't seem as sharp in the booth as he used to be. But I will miss him when he is gone. I can only hope his replacement shows the same passion and knowledge of the game.