PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-24 Dunn clutches to ALC lead; SOX 5 CLE 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
He may be flawed, but Adam won the damn game tonight.

soltrain21
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Unbelievable.

JasonFrasor54
Love me some Adam Dunn. The losing streak is ovaaa!:bandance:

thomas35forever
Certainly not the most likely victory of the season, but I'll take them in any form at this point.:bandance:

Saracen
Nice! :bandance:

guillensdisciple
Win, win and keep on winning Sox.

WhiteSox5187
I am by no means a big fan of Adam Dunn but he came through with the biggest hit of the season.

cub killer
09-24-2012, 09:50 PM
We're never gonna forget this pennant race no matter what happens.

Frater Perdurabo
09-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Hopefully Dunn has un-constipated the lineup.

johnnyg83
09-24-2012, 09:51 PM
What color does hair turn after white? Auburn or chestnut I hope.

kobo
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Not dead yet!!!

guillensdisciple
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Just rewatched the replay of that home run.

Loved seeing Hudson and Alexei celebrate. Got goosebumps watching the crowd celebrate. Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

And yes, everything prior to that home run in the game thread was the most pessimistic stuff in the world.

soxfan1965
09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I am by no means a big fan of Adam Dunn but he came through with the biggest hit of the season. That says it!

harwar
Almost had a nervous breakdown at the end there but all ends well .. Adam Dunn's home run was THAT big hit that they have been searching for .. i'm looking for this team to wake up now and look like a totally different team .. and yes, we are not dead yet ..

Frater Perdurabo

It falls out.

JB98
09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I hope that home run by Dunn relaxes this team.

They have obviously been feeling the pressure.

Interesting move to go to Veal there. Tough spot for a guy who has been in the minors much of the season. But closing is a bottom line business. Either you get the save, or you don't. He got the save.

Aesero
09-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Heres to hoping Adam woke the team up. Lets go White Sox.

Tragg
09-24-2012, 09:55 PM
That's why you have him. To hit homers and drive in 3. Value.

Myers just isn't very good. Not much stuff.
Why does Ventura, of all the pitchers, leave Sale out for so many pitches?

JB98
09-24-2012, 09:57 PM

Because Sale is the best the Sox have.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
"This ball game is bobbled and ovah yes!"

:rolling::supernana:

voodoochile
09-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Man this team needs to find some offense, or maybe they just need Donkey to get hot as all ****. Whatever works, it's still The Cell. Just gotta mash a bit. Stop worrying and just play.

Thanks, Donkey...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Tragg
Because Sale is the best the Sox have.

I know, but 1 and teens game in and game out is over-doing it a touch.

TheOldRoman
Wow. Just... wow. Hopefully this is the spark the team needs. Get off the deck!

russ99

As much as I want to let fly, IMO pitching staff role and usage criticism is for another day. I'm just glad they got the win.

SBSoxFan
09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Adam Dunn == Joe Crede?

Tragg
09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
As much as I want to let fly, IMO pitching staff role and usage criticism is for another day. I'm just glad they got the win.

Fair enough. Just wondering why he works him so hard in general. My comment/opinion on Myers is really irrelevant tonight anyway - he pitched his inning and Ventura uses him correctly, but he scares me.
We're going to need Thornton to "step it up"

johnnyg83
09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Get up off the deck and finish this thing! Rocky!

TheOldRoman
09-24-2012, 10:02 PM
??? Myers has done very well since coming to the Sox. He had trouble throwing strikes tonight, but he still only gave up one baserunner and got the win. What as I missing?

slavko
Been begging for somebody to step up and Dunn done did. Live to fight again another day.

johnnyg83
Fair enough. Just wondering why he works him so hard in general. My comment/opinion on Myers is really irrelevant tonight anyway - he pitched his inning and Ventura uses him correctly, but he scares me.
We're going to need Thornton to "step it up"

Myers may be the reliever who scares me the least. I thought you were being sarcastic.

BigKlu59
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Almost had a nervous breakdown at the end there but all ends well .. Adam Dunn's home run was THAT big hit that they have been searching for .. i'm looking for this team to wake up now and look like a totally different team .. and yes, we are not dead yet ..

Yessiree thats the Roy Hobbs moment this team is gonna need from here on out... Who wants to write the script?

White hair is to match the White Sox, you distinquished sage... Wear it proudly !!!!

BK59

JB98
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I know, but 1 and teens game in and game out is over-doing it a touch.

This time of year, you go to the whip. You can't play for tomorrow right now.

tstrike2000
09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
After the Anaheim series, I pretty much counted on Dunn for dead. By far his most clutch hit and maybe even the most clutch hit of his career to this point.

KenBerryGrab
09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Home plate ump will be abashed when he sees the replay on DeAza (not) scoring.

doublem23
09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I still am surging with adrenaline

Aesero
09-24-2012, 10:06 PM
After the Anaheim series, I pretty much counted on Dunn for dead. By far his most clutch hit and maybe even the most clutch hit of his career to this point.

The guy has never made the postseason, and had his skid continued I'm sure that people will bring up this fact and say he's not a winner. Dunn may have saved the season with those two swings today.

thomas35forever
09-24-2012, 10:06 PM
He'll be glad he didn't affect the outcome of the game.

GlassSox
09-24-2012, 10:07 PM
It falls out.

Yep!

soxnut1018
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Suddenly the strike outs don't seem so bad.

amsteel
09-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Before the bottom of the 8th:
0 beers, 0 smoke breaks

Bottom 8 + Top 9 + postgame:
4 beers 2 smoke breaks

Sox games should come with a Surgeon General's warning.

Patrick134
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM

The first base ump actually made the call covering for the ump who rotated towards third.

JB98
Since everyone is in a better mood now, can I point out the Sox just clinched a winning season? :D:

kittle42
A-Bomb!

fram40
09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Before the bottom of the 8th:
0 beers, 0 smoke breaks

Bottom 8 + Top 9 + postgame:
4 beers 2 smoke breaks

Sox games should come with a Surgeon General's warning.

How many heart attacks?

DonnieDarko
Just had to say this:

I did not expect that.

Was the best post of the Gameday thread. Everyone else was jumping up and down screaming, and that guy was the only one calm enough to say that. XD

34rancher
I am by no means a big fan of Adam Dunn but he came through with the biggest hit of the season.

No one has been more critical of Dunn than I have. It kills me that we are so reliant on the home run at this point of the season, but that was huge tonight. Thanks Adam, you Dunn good.

fram40
09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
No one has been more critical of Dunn than I have. It kills me that we are so reliant on the home run at this point of the season, but that was huge tonight. Thanks Adam, you Dunn good.

+1. on all your points

ohiosoxfan
09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
The first base ump actually made the call covering for the ump who rotated towards third.

Indians telecast actually decided that DeAza was out because they said from their replay, his foot was up in the air, not on the plate. . . I think they need a new replay. . and you thought Hawk was a homer!

amsteel
09-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Since everyone is in a better mood now, can I point out the Sox just clinched a winning season? :D:

Print the tshirts and play the scrubs. WE MADE IT!

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 10:14 PM
It's fitting that Dunn had his first big game in seemingly forever to give the Sox a 'guaranteed' winning season. This is the first time in his major league career, if memory serves, that Dunn is going to be on a team that ends the year with more wins than losses.

He's played something like 10 seasons...man that must be hard knowing that every year you were on a bad team.

11th time the Sox have won this year when trailing going into the 7th inning or later.

With the "winning season" guaranteed here are some numbers:

It's the 19th winning season out of 32 years under current ownership.
They also had a .500 season in 2002.

61% of the time under this ownership the Sox have won more than they lost in a year.

It's the 8th winning season out of 12 years Kenny Williams has been G.M. He also had a .500 season in 2002.

72% of the time under him the Sox have won more than they lost in a year.

Considering they were picked by many to lose over 90 games, having a winning season is noteworthy and significant but it's only the first step...now win the damn division and go to the playoffs.

Lip

DoItForDanPasqua
09-24-2012, 10:15 PM
At this point I don't see individual games as a reflection of the team's overall quality or chances of future success. With only nine games left I just care that they win. They can get lucky with high BABIP or something, win enough to hold off the Tigers and then win 11 more.

kobo
09-24-2012, 10:17 PM
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

16th&State
09-24-2012, 10:17 PM
I still am surging with adrenaline

Me too. Buzzing even. I was so low when Dunn came to the plate. And so very ecstatic just moments later. Feels good to win a ball game!

This was a huge win. Hoping this game and the Dunn HR are the sparks this team needs to go on a winning streak and carry some momentum to the division crown and playoffs.

Don't Stop Now Boys!!

fram40
09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Me too. Buzzing even. I was so low when Dunn came to the plate. And so very ecstatic just moments later. Feels good to win a ball game!

This was a huge win. Hoping this game and the Dunn HR are the sparks this team needs to go on a winning streak and carry some momentum to the division crown and playoffs.

Don't Stop Now Boys!!

I had Dunn striking out for sure. No way he hits a second home run.

He Dunn proved me wrong

DoItForDanPasqua
09-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Don't Stop Now Boys!!

I guess when you build your team around your park factor it works out sometimes.

slavko
09-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Indians telecast actually decided that DeAza was out because they said from their replay, his foot was up in the air, not on the plate. . . I think they need a new replay. . and you thought Hawk was a homer!

I saw the same. Seemed like his foot came down, belatedly, on the back of the plate. Was he trying to avoid catching the leading edge? He was still probably safe, IMO.

Do not ignore the BIG at bat by Dan Johnson to battle for the walk. Next to Dunn's heroics, the play of the game, also IMO.

Hawk's canned "It's All Good" for "Oh, Lordy." Asking for divine assistance can't hurt.

tstrike2000
09-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Oh, doesn't that mean that can stop winning?

decolores9628
09-24-2012, 10:25 PM
I had Dunn striking out for sure. No way he hits a second home run.

He Dunn proved me wrong

I had him striking out in both at bats. 1st homer on a 1-2 count. 2nd on an 0-2 count! HAVE MERCY!

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ohiosoxfan says: Indians telecast actually decided that DeAza was out because they said from their replay, his foot was up in the air, not on the plate. . . I think they need a new replay. . and you thought Hawk was a homer!

Gonzo in his wrap story also said that De Aza's foot went over the plate at first but he also wrote that it got down to touch the back end in time before the tag was made.

----------------

Sox obviously are going to live or die, sink or swim by the home run the final week. Offense is still in a serious funk, only seven hits total tonight. They can't string anything together. That's fine as long as you hit two or three out every game but you don't have a lot of room for error do you?

Lip

Tragg
09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Dunn's strikeouts are only an issue because he misses some opportunities to score runs from 3rd with less than 2 outs. But his batting average is largely mitigated by his walks.
And nothing mitigates his power. He's still an above average DH in this league.

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm glad DeAza's being called out when he was clearly safe didn't impact this game. Holy ****! What a huge win!

Why is tomorrow's game a matinee?

palehozenychicty
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
This could be that win. If they play over .500 this next week or so, they'll be fine.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Fanatic:

It's an afternoon game tomorrow because of a Jewish holiday that starts at sundown.

I assume Liriano goes tomorrow?

Lip

The Immigrant
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Dan Johnson's at-bat turned this game around. He battled for that walk.

As for Dunn's second HR, it may have been the most unlikely hit I ever witnessed in person. Not one person around me thought he had a chance with two strikes on him.

cards press box
09-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Adam Dunn == Joe Crede?

Maybe so -- roughly seven years after Crede's homer in extra innings (his second of the night) to beat Cleveland in that important extra inning game in late September, this Dunn three-run homer (his second of the night) did seem to give the team and the fan base a huge sigh of relief.

:winner

Let's hope this is the start of a nice winning streak!

PalehosePlanet
09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I saw the same. Seemed like his foot came down, belatedly, on the back of the plate. Was he trying to avoid catching the leading edge? He was still probably safe, IMO.

Do not ignore the BIG at bat by Dan Johnson to battle for the walk. Next to Dunn's heroics, the play of the game, also IMO.

Hawk's canned "It's All Good" for "Oh, Lordy." Asking for divine assistance can't hurt.

By the time he was finally tagged his entire left thigh and half his ass were on the pate. Just a terrible call.

However, we did get a make up call when Alex was called safe at 2B when he was actually out on the SB. That call, as it turned out, gave us back the run we were cheated out of the prior inning.

Anyway, the late inning comeback win is exactly what this team needed to wake up. Keep it rolling tomorrow, by putting up a big inning early.

October26
09-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Loved seeing Hudson and Alexei celebrate. Got goosebumps watching the crowd celebrate. Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

And yes, everything prior to that home run in the game thread was the most pessimistic stuff in the world.

Yes, and it was incredible night to be at USCF. I made a very last minute decision to head on out to the game tonight and am so glad that I did. We were cheering our heads off from our great seats in the first row of the Upper Deck. We were nervous as the Sox bats were cold for most of the game. Then, up came Adam Dunn and delivered. I was sitting with ChiSoxGal85, her husband, and also My_Sox_Summer (my first time meeting them) and, of course, we erupted in joyful pandemonium along with all other Sox fans in attendance when Adam hit his second homer. A fantastic comeback win for our Sox, much needed and truly celebrated. Keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 10:44 PM
How was the attendance tonight?

Lip

The Immigrant
09-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Lip

Pathetic.

The Immigrant
09-24-2012, 10:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dUwT2GYgKSk/UGEg-vYMRKI/AAAAAAAACAE/oBbJno46NyA/s1600/dunngreatesthomeromg.gif

Red Barchetta
09-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Lip

According to Dan Rohn, it wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

FielderJones
09-24-2012, 10:53 PM
What a ballgame! Just got home, and I'm still trembling.

Right before the first homer, I turned to my friends and asked, "How long has Dunn been stuck on 39?" I didn't say anything before the second homer.

What a turn around for the morose crowd, in the midst of watching the season slip away, turning to raucous excitement. Even though the turnout was not great, the fans were loud at the end.

Most fun I've had at a September game in a long time. Go Sox!

bunkaroo
09-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Well I thought my attendance perfect record was toast after the 2-run Cleveland HR, but I'll take it! I was just dumbstruck when Dunn hit that second HR. made me believe we can do this.

And that ******* ump - wow. I thought someone might rush the field.

johnnyg83
09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
According to Dan Rohn, it wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

Dan Rohn is right. And that hurt to type.

Crooked Number
09-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Dsnb. What a finish! Go Sox

doublem23
09-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Why is tomorrow's game a matinee?

Yom Kippur

johnnyg83
09-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Yom Kippur

Is sandy koufax starting? #hopeful

SoxSpeed22
09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Looks like they had at least one more comeback in them. Usually coming home makes for a nice winning streak, let's hope they got one more of those in them. (And three more in October)

Zisk77
09-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Yom Kippur

Hopefully Egypt doesn't invade.

DSpivack
09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Hopefully Egypt doesn't invade.

Wrong holiday, that's Passover. Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement.

Is sandy koufax starting? #hopeful

No, but Kevin Youkilis should be.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:26 PM

What a dramatic moment in Sox history, and he was down in the count 0-2 when he hit it.

KenBerryGrab
09-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Wrong holiday, that's Passover. Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement.

No, but Kevin Youkilis should be.

The Yom Kippur war was in 1973.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM

Best part of that replay, in the first row of the section where the ball landed, there were two Indians fans standing motionless.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Actually I think that was the first base ump who made the call.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Good call. You beat me.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:30 PM

Not only was DeAza's lead foot on the plate, but his trailing foot was crossing the plate before the tag was applied. Terrible call.

Brian26
09-24-2012, 11:32 PM

I think Hawk was channeling Drysdale on that call.

djcollie03
09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
It will be nice to have the early game tomorrow. A win would turn the tables on all of the earlier start scoreboard watching the Sox have endured the last week. Let's put the pressure on the Tigers with a win.

johnnyg83
09-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Best part of that replay, in the first row of the section where the ball landed, there were two Indians fans standing motionless.

It's definitely funny, but it ain't the best part.

Tragg
09-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Not only was DeAza's lead foot on the plate, but his trailing foot was crossing the plate before the tag was applied. Terrible call.

I just saw the replay. It was a stunningly bad call. He was safe easily. But it looked to me that the umpire wasn't even looking at the plate - watching the tag only, which was a yard up the 3b line from the plate.

DSpivack
09-24-2012, 11:52 PM
The Yom Kippur war was in 1973.
:redface: My mind was just thinking about the holiday itself.

johnnyg83
09-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Thank you, ADam. Thank you, Dan Johnson. Thank you, Chris Sale. Verlander doesn't pitch for four more days, we can gain ground.

thomas35forever
09-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Watch it, Brent.
https://twitter.com/BSLillibridge/status/250462091989884928

https://twitter.com/BSLillibridge/status/250462411491012608

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Watch it, Brent.

Everyone has am opinion, just his matters less.

amsteel
09-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Watch it, Brent.

Aww, that's so cute. It must be tough to not be a difference maker on 3 teams in 1 year.

BainesHOF
09-25-2012, 12:16 AM
A modest but mighty crowd at the park tonight. A high percentage of it was die-hards. If you can, go support the team in person this homestand.

ChiSoxGal85
09-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes, and it was incredible night to be at USCF. I made a very last minute decision to head on out to the game tonight and am so glad that I did. We were cheering our heads off from our great seats in the first row of the Upper Deck. We were nervous as the Sox bats were cold for most of the game. Then, up came Adam Dunn and delivered. I was sitting with ChiSoxGal85, her husband, and also My_Sox_Summer (my first time meeting them) and, of course, we erupted in joyful pandemonium along with all other Sox fans in attendance when Adam hit his second homer. An fantastic comeback win for our Sox, much needed and truly celebrated. Keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

Holy cow! What a game! Sale was not at his best and with the Sox bats looking absolutely dead for a while, I was really worried. And that call on DeAza at home seemed to deflate the crowd. Terrible call - but looked like the ump gave Alexei a make-up call at 1st a few innnings later. I'll have to watch the replay later.

Then Adam Dunn turned into a one-man Indian wrecking crew! Talk about a roller coaster ride!

But I had a great time riding that coaster with my DH, October26, and My_Sox_Summer. :gulp:

Now, gotta go to bed, because (as Jackson Browne said): When the morning light comes streamin' in, I'll get up and do it again...Hoping to see another Sox winner in person tomorrow!!

slavko
09-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Look at that replay again. On ESPN. With the camera looking right up the 3rd base line. With zoom on the foot above the plate. Super slow motion. And you can see the tag being applied to ADA's left side. Look at it again. You might change your mind.

Falstaff
09-25-2012, 01:16 AM
"Then Adam Dunn turned into a one-man Indian wrecking crew! "

Ya I have been having private fan-tasy about Adam Dunn getting hot
and taking the HR crown this year, denying Mig Cabrera what so many
sportswriters have already awarded, the triple crown. Would love to see Donkey with his .210 ruining the Detroit love affair, and carrying this team to the playoffs.

Foulke You
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Look at that replay again. On ESPN. With the camera looking right up the 3rd base line. With zoom on the foot above the plate. Super slow motion. And you can see the tag being applied to ADA's left side. Look at it again. You might change your mind.

I've seen it from every angle. He was safe. A brutal call that I thought would crush this team's spirit considering their immense struggles to score recently. Adam Dunn had other plans.

Foulke You
09-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Dan Johnson's at-bat turned this game around. He battled for that walk.
Huge AB by Dan Johnson there. Kudos to Robin for pinch hitting him. Much like Youk, Johnson can be a tough out working the count and fouling off pitches.

Another thing that went relatively unnoticed is that AJ threw out 3 runners at 2B tonight.

LITTLE NELL
09-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Huge AB by Dan Johnson there. Kudos to Robin for pinch hitting him. Much like Youk, Johnson can be a tough out working the count and fouling off pitches.

Another thing that went relatively unnoticed is that AJ threw out 3 runners at 2B tonight.

Shades of the 2005 Crede game where Hawk was speechless.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Watch it, Brent.

YOU'RE better than worrying about **** like that, Lillebridge.

October26
09-25-2012, 07:41 AM

Great points:

1) That Johnson at-bat was great because he worked the count, and the longer he extended the at-bat, the greater our hope was for a baserunner. The Sox had a tough time getting runners on base last night, so Johnson's AB was definitely huge.

2) Sitting in the first row of section 536 last night, we had a great view of the field. I was surprised at how well AJ was throwing to second base and I think only one of the plays was close. The other two runners were out by a mile!

Hitmen77
09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
The guy has never made the postseason, and had his skid continued I'm sure that people will bring up this fact and say he's not a winner. Dunn may have saved the season with those two swings today.

I want to say that this is the first time in Dunn's career that he's played on a team that had a winning record. Is that right?

doublem23
09-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I want to say that this is the first time in Dunn's career that he's played on a team that had a winning record. Is that right?

First full season on a winning team, he was traded to the Diamondbacks in 2008, played 44 games in Arizona, and they finished 82-80 on the year.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_sheehan/09/25/five-cuts-adam-dunn-adrian-beltre-wild-card/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a0

SI.com and Joe Sheehan use the no-brainer headline, "Not Dunn Yet."

For some reason the Tribune opted for "Dunn Deal."

asindc
09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Watch it, Brent.

Apparently, grammar is not his strong suit.

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
How many heart attacks?

I had at least 2 last night at the game.Unreal!!

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_sheehan/09/25/five-cuts-adam-dunn-adrian-beltre-wild-card/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a0

SI.com and Joe Sheehan use the no-brainer headline, "Not Dunn Yet."

For some reason the Tribune opted for "Dunn Deal."

They're both pretty good.

doublem23
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Worst 0-2 pitch in baseball history?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dUwT2GYgKSk/UGEg-vYMRKI/AAAAAAAACAE/oBbJno46NyA/s1600/dunngreatesthomeromg.gif

Rocky Soprano
09-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I love you Adam Dunn!
I was sitting in the scout seats last night, second row right behind home plate, and it was amazing to see the flight of both balls. I really hope this win is the start of a hot streak for the team and for Dunn.

Rocky Soprano
09-25-2012, 10:08 AM

HAHAHA, that's me in the top right in the Sox jacket!!!
:gulp::gulp::gulp:

mantis1212
09-25-2012, 10:12 AM

The look they showed on the pitchers face was priceless.

mantis1212
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I think Hawk was channeling Drysdale on that call.

I think Hawk picked that up from Wimpy last week, he was saying "Lordy" all the time.

voodoochile
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM

I think I could watch that guy in the first row jump up with fists raised forever.

Noneck
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Meatballs have been served since the 1st game ever played, on every count, by every pitcher. Most dont have the result and implications this one had, thats all.

Hitmen77
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
It's fitting that Dunn had his first big game in seemingly forever to give the Sox a 'guaranteed' winning season. This is the first time in his major league career, if memory serves, that Dunn is going to be on a team that ends the year with more wins than losses.

He's played something like 10 seasons...man that must be hard knowing that every year you were on a bad team.

11th time the Sox have won this year when trailing going into the 7th inning or later.

With the "winning season" guaranteed here are some numbers:

It's the 19th winning season out of 32 years under current ownership.
They also had a .500 season in 2002.

61% of the time under this ownership the Sox have won more than they lost in a year.

It's the 8th winning season out of 12 years Kenny Williams has been G.M. He also had a .500 season in 2002.

72% of the time under him the Sox have won more than they lost in a year.

Considering they were picked by many to lose over 90 games, having a winning season is noteworthy and significant but it's only the first step...now win the damn division and go to the playoffs.

Lip

This has pretty much been the pattern under the JR era and the KW era too. There haven't been too many years where the Sox are flat-out awful. Plenty of years where they're somewhere within 5 games of .500. They also have a few "breakout" years where they win well over 90 games - but those seem to come along once every 5 or 10 years. Still no back-to-back postseason years under JR's ownership (or ever for the Sox for that matter).

So, the current ownership/management team has been good enough to keep the Sox at least in the middle of the pack most years - and I applaud them for that. But, the serious pennant-contending years are too few and far in between. .......and then people act shocked when we draw 20k on a September week night.

hawkjt
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
An incredible comeback...Sox get off the mat!

The building of a late inning rally.
Dan Johnson had a great at bat, drawing that walk.
Youk hits a laser that the 3rd baseman made a good play on,but it was a hit,and kept the inning alive.
Then,Adam comes thru with a very improbable 0-2 homer.
If they win this thing, it will be a significant moment in a successful season,and could go down with Joe Crede's monster homer in 2005 in Sox lore.

Tribe are hitting the ball. They scored 14 on Sunday,and had 13 hits last nite. Not good to see them getting hot right now,after two months of horrible baseball.

Sox need to win today,and tommorrow,and the day after....Rays are going to be fighting for their lives,as they have managed to hang on the edge of the wildcard race....they never give up,with their history of coming back.

Hang on,gang, gonna be bumpy!

SOXSINCE'70
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Rays are going to be fighting for their lives,as they have managed to hang on the edge of the wildcard race....they never give up,with their history of coming back.

But,IIRC,the Rays have been BRUTAL in 1 run games so far this season.
Both the Sox and O's have much better records in this category.

Moses_Scurry
09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
I went to bed after the score became 3-1 Indians. I couldn't do it. I couldn't watch them lose again to the ****ing indians! I have no regrets though. It sounds like the 9th would have taken a few more years off my life.

Great job Dunn!!!! Let some of your teammates use your bat!

MeteorsSox4367
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
I think there's still a handprint on my kitchen table from my slapping it and screaming "Stretch, dammit!" when Dunn hit his second home run.

Maybe it's destiny that the Sox win the division. I'd be happy with that.

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Not looking ahead or anything but our first round match up will be against either the rangers or Yankees. Great teams, but we play them well so keep that in mine.

I actually worry more about the wild card winner.

SephClone89
09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Not looking ahead or anything but our first round match up will be against either the rangers or Yankees. Great teams, but we play them well so keep that in mine.

I actually worry more about the wild card winner.

Still could be Baltimore.

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Still could be Baltimore.

How? I thought we were supposed to play the team with the second best record since we have fhe third best.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2012, 11:17 AM
How? I thought we were supposed to play the team with the second best record since we have fhe third best.Baltimore can still win the east.

guillensdisciple
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Baltimore can still win the east.

Ahhh my apologies, I just went ahead an penciled them into the wild card spot,

QueerGirrl
09-25-2012, 12:37 PM

I've been staring at this for 5 minutes straight!!! Still not getting old.

thomas35forever
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM

I love how motionless the security guard is.

RadioheadRocks
09-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I've been staring at this for 5 minutes straight!!! Still not getting old.

Unfortunately it's gotten old thanks to that sorry game earlier this afternoon.