PDA

View Full Version : Why I think we still win the Central

tony1972
09-23-2012, 10:33 PM
#1) The Math of the Home Games Remaining...

Sox have 7 home games left. Tigers have 3. Both teams have been good at home and lousy on the road lately. Detroit has their 3 home games against the Royals who have owned the Tigers this year

#2) This team goes on losing streaks which are immediately followed by winning streaks...

We lost 5 games in a row..yes..but we also won 5 in a row before that. Keep in mind..this team has been very streaky this year. How often have we seen the team win 6 of 7 at home..go on the road and lose 5 of 6 and come back home and then win 5 of 6, etc.? I would not be suprised if we go on a nice little winning streak again now that we are at home.

#3) We are a home run hitting team and we just played in parks that are not friendly to home run hitters...

We are a home run hitting team and we just don't score a lot of runs in ball parks that are not home run parks (Kauffman Stadium, Angels Stadium, etc.). Honestly...I watched all 6 road games this past week and there were several fly outs that were caught at the wall in all games. These would have been homers at the Cell.

#4) The Constant since July 24th...

We have not fallen out of first or led by more than 3 games since July 24th.. That has been the constant...no matter how good or bad we have played we have never had more than a 3 game lead..however, Detroit has NEVER been able to pass us.
Yes..the small lead has been frustrating..however..we have always kept it. I see no reason for a team that commits 3 errors AT HOME against the Twins to overcome another team that is playing badly.

#5) My sense of intuition tells me we will win the Central...

I just want to remind everyone that I was the one who posted the thread back in March that the Sox would contend. I don't believe in ESP..but I will tell you..I have always had very good intuition about things like this and I do feel strongly we will be playing baseball in October.

We will win this division..it might be ugly...but (so everyone can sleep tonight)..I guarantee we will win it...

gosox41
09-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Sox have 7 home games left. Tigers have 3. Both teams have been good at home and lousy on the road lately.

We lost 5 games in a row..yes..but we also won 5 in a row before that. Keep in mind..this team has been very streaky this year. How often have we seen the team win 6 of 7 at home..go on the road and lost 5 of 6 and come back home and then win 5 of 6, etc.? I would not be suprised if we go on a nice little winning streak again now that we are at home.

We are a home run hitting team and we just don't score a lot of runs in ball parks that are not home run parks (Kauffman Stadium, Angels Stadium, etc.). Honestly...I watched all 3 games and there were several fly outs that were caught at the wall in all games. These would have been homers at the Cell.

Detroit has their 3 home games against the Royals who have owned the Tigers this year.

We have not fallen out of first since July 24th. That has been the constant...no matter how good or bad we have played we have never had more than a 3 game lead..however, Detroit has NEVER been able to pass us.
Yes..the small lead has been frustrating..however..we have always kept it. I see no reason for a team that commits 3 errors AT HOME against the Twins to overcome another team that is playing badly.

We will win this division. We might back into it..it won't be pretty...but I guarantee we will win it.

I just to remind everyone that I was the one who posted the thread back in March that the Sox would contend. I don't believe in ESP..but I will tell you..I have always had a good intuition about things like this and I do know we will be playing baseball in October.

Gotta love optimism. I'm afraid if I posted what I really felt, I'd be in trouble with the Mods. I am by nature logical, skeptical, and pessimistic. Not a good combo.

That being said, I have found away to lower my blood pressure this week. I stopped watching White Sox baseball the day against KC when they had bases loaded and none out and blew it. It's not because I'm not a fan, it's more because I'm tired of being in a bad mood (yes, it's sad to say, this team can put me in a rotten mood.) Plus my kids don't need to see/hear my cuss or rant at the TV.

I'll still read this board and painful articles in the Trib. And my wife, who hasn't learned her lesson yet, keeps trying to update me on the game. I was doing some work outside today and she came out to tell me that the Sox had bases loaded and one out and asked if I wanted to watch. I told her to let me know if they scored. I didn't hear from her again.

Anyway, good for you on being optimistic. I truly hope something clicks with this team over the next 10 days. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Bob

tony1972
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Gotta love optimism. I'm afraid if I posted what I really felt, I'd be in trouble with the Mods. I am by nature logical, skeptical, and pessimistic. Not a good combo.

That being said, I have found away to lower my blood pressure this week. I stopped watching White Sox baseball the day against KC when they had bases loaded and none out and blew it. It's not because I'm not a fan, it's more because I'm tired of being in a bad mood (yes, it's sad to say, this team can put me in a rotten mood.) Plus my kids don't need to see/hear my cuss or rant at the TV.

I'll still read this board and painful articles in the Trib. And my wife, who hasn't learned her lesson yet, keeps trying to update me on the game. I was doing some work outside today and she came out to tell me that the Sox had bases loaded and one out and asked if I wanted to watch. I told her to let me know if they scored. I didn't hear from her again.

Anyway, good for you on being optimistic. I truly hope something clicks with this team over the next 10 days. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Bob

I'm telling you..the team that takes the field tomorrow will look completely different than the one we just saw in KC and Anaheim. Just being at home will make a big difference.

Zakath
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
#1) The Math of the Home Games Remaining...

Sox have 7 home games left. Tigers have 3. Both teams have been good at home and lousy on the road lately. Detroit has their 3 home games against the Royals who have owned the Tigers this year

The Tigers have 4 home games left. The Royals are there Monday-Thursday.

TheOldRoman
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Detroit has their 3 home games against the Royals who have owned the Tigers this year
False. The Tigers are 7-4 against the Royals. Still, the Royals are seemingly playing better in the second half, but they are still 23-29 against teams other than the Sox over that stretch.

Anyway, I agree that the Sox will win it, but nothing would surprise me. Yesterday it looked like Detroit was free and easy, and they were going to start rolling. Today, they lost two games to the horse **** Twins. They have to be pressing at least as much as the Sox are. The Sox lost 5 of 6 and are still a game up. Maybe the Sox are going to nosedive the next ten games, but based on the season to date, I don't think their massive slump will continue that much longer. For the reasons you stated, and because Detroit isn't all that good, I think the Sox will win the division.

mantis1212
09-23-2012, 11:16 PM
#1 The Royals actually have NOT owned the Tigers this year - having said that, the Royals are playing much better baseball in the past couple months or so and are a tough team right now. Much tougher than Cleveland.

# 2 I agree, I can easily see the Sox coming home and waking their bats up. We've seen it too many times before.

The Sox opened the door this week, and the Tigers refused to walk in. A new week starts now...

doublem23
09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
No matter how you crunch the numbers, or how your gut feels, the bottom line is that basically any crazy number of things can happen to any baseball team over the course of 10 games. There's equal reason to believe they can do it and equal reason to believe they can't. Really no reason at this point to worry or think too much about it. Just sit back and enjoy the glory and agony of September baseball.

Go Sox

fram40
09-23-2012, 11:32 PM
6 games vs Cleveland, 4 vs TB. How about 5 - 1 vs Cleveland and 2 - 2 vs the Rays for a 7 - 3 finish?

The one loss vs the Tribe will be last game - when RV rests the Sox regulars after clinching the division on Tuesday, Oct 02.

BNLSox
09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Win as many or more than Detroit and you win the division.

Simple enough.

tstrike2000
09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
And the Tigers keep crapping their pants whenever they have a chance.

Mohoney
09-24-2012, 12:11 AM

This. They just lost both games of a home doubleheader to the Twins with first place on the line.

This is immediately following a stretch where they went from a possibility of being tied for the division lead to being 3 games out by blowing 2 leads in 2 days against the Indians and us.

They blew 2 golden opportunities within the span of a week. It's really hard to recover from that kind of choke job.

delben91
09-24-2012, 12:18 AM
I still think that once the Sox get another win, their confidence returns and they go on a nice streak. Tomorrow night would be a great chance for that win.

pudge
09-24-2012, 02:49 AM
I still think that once the Sox get another win, their confidence returns and they go on a nice streak. Tomorrow night would be a great chance for that win.

Exactly. The team looks defeated right now, but you have to believe when they land in Chicago and hear the Tigers got swept by the Twins, they might have some life back in them.

kufram
09-24-2012, 03:25 AM

Bob

I sometimes sound overly optimistic here as has often been pointed out, but when it is this year's Tigers behind us there is reason for optimism even when there is not confidence. The Tigers defense is always capable of blowing it. Sometimes it isn't even minor league standard. That could be what decides it.... not anything we do.

I figured out quite a long time ago that ranting and raving and getting moody when the White Sox lost was doing no good... not for me and not for people around me. Of course, I am not one who hates the organization so it may be easier for me to cope.... although I do think the marketing department does a poor job, but I'm not a marketing guy so it is easy for me to say. But Detroit has 35-40,000 in the seats and we have 20 so with teams suffering much the same there must be reasons for that.

As long as we can stay in first place I'll take it as it comes because there is nothing else. I'd actually be more worried if there was not the evidence of streaky play pointed out by the OP. We could be paying the price for playing the starters constantly for so long but there wasn't a lot Robin could do considering our bench. We could get a hot streak and see Detroit tank. If the hitting with RISP just recovers to the something near the average everything changes.

LITTLE NELL
09-24-2012, 06:17 AM
With Detroit's DH loss to the Twins, the Baseball Gods have to be on our side. The key series is with the Rays, they are hot right now and have very good pitching and lead the AL with a 3.26 ERA, they are in the hunt for a wild card. Right now I will a take split with the Rays so what we do against the Tribe is the key, if we win 5 against Cleveland we should win the division. Bottom line is that we have to start to hit and score some runs.

Noneck
09-24-2012, 07:38 AM
The key series is with the Rays, they are hot right now and have very good pitching and lead the AL with a 3.26 ERA, they are in the hunt for a wild card.

The Rays should be in the hunt for the wild card when they play the Sox considering their last 3 are against the O's. The Sox have to take care of business vs. clev. If they split with clev. I'd say they are cooked. The key game from now on will always be the next game, until they lock it up or lose it.

Dan H
09-24-2012, 07:46 AM

That has what has been saving the Sox. Obviously winning the division is the first goal but backing their way in is disappointing. I really think 90 wins is a sign of an excellent team but that particular goal is almost totally out of reach now. And to advance in the playoffs, a team has to win on the road, not just at home.

Moses_Scurry
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
The Sox only have only to match the Tigers for the next 10 (thank you Twins!).

I'm optimistic that they will.

DrCrawdad
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
The Rays should be in the hunt for the wild card when they play the Sox considering their last 3 are against the O's. The Sox have to take care of business vs. clev. If they split with clev. I'd say they are cooked. The key game from now on will always be the next game, until they lock it up or lose it.

American League W L GB Left Baltimore Orioles (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bal) 87 65 -- 10 Oakland Athletics (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/oak) 86 66 -- 10 Los Angeles Angels (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/laa) 84 69 2.5 9 Tampa Bay Rays (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/tam) 83 70 3.5 9

Looking at the loss column, barring a collapse by 2 of the teams ahead of the Rays, I'd say the Rays are pretty much out of the Wild Card race.

IF the Rays win 9 straight, all Oakland has to do is go 7-3 to stay ahead. Baltimore could go 6-4 and still win.

soxfan1965
09-24-2012, 08:43 AM
One caveat: The Bad Boys are setting up Max Scherzer, who is better, for their last game vs KC. That sets up VLAN for one game playoff if needed against the Good Guys. One great incentive to get it done in the regular season and before the last game of the season. http://www.freep.com/article/20120924/COL38/309240121 ("On the Bright Side" subcolumn)

Noneck
09-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Looking at the loss column, barring a collapse by 2 of the teams ahead of the Rays, I'd say the Rays are pretty much out of the Wild Card race.

IF the Rays win 9 straight, all Oakland has to do is go 7-3 to stay ahead. Baltimore could go 6-4 and still win.

My point was that the Rays should still have a shot when they come here to play the Sox.

Harry Potter
09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
One caveat: The Bad Boys are setting up Max Scherzer, who is better, for their last game vs KC. That sets up VLAN for one game playoff if needed against the Good Guys. One great incentive to get it done in the regular season and before the last game of the season. http://www.freep.com/article/20120924/COL38/309240121 ("On the Bright Side" subcolumn)

"VLAN"??

:facepalm:

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm telling you..the team that takes the field tomorrow will look completely different than the one we just saw in KC and Anaheim. Just being at home will make a big difference.

I'll be there tonight.I hope so. For the sanity of all Sox fans.

tstrike2000
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
"VLAN"??

:facepalm:

In the IT world, I thought he was referring to Cisco routing.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 12:14 PM
On paper they should win it, although Tampa isn't going to roll over and die, I think Maddon has something going on with the Sox and would love to stick it to them.

But as to whether they actually win the thing on not? At this point with the offense running on fumes? Who knows.

Lip

soxfan1965
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
In the IT world, I thought he was referring to Cisco routing. Too funny. :D: Yes I'm in telecom. He can "route" the Sox at will it seems.

delben91
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
On paper they should win it, although Tampa isn't going to roll over and die, I think Maddon has something going on with the Sox and would love to stick it to them.

But as to whether they actually win the thing on not? At this point with the offense running on fumes? Who knows.

Lip

Where did you hear/read this? News to me.

dwitt76
09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I think we win b/c they have 7 left with KC and we dont. Tigers also struggle with Minny as well. Only 8-7 against against them.

hoosiersoxfan
09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Sox are also a combined 11-4 against Cleveland and Tampa Bay this season so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

Noneck
09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Sorry wrong thread

Lip Man 1
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Delben:

Based on the Quintana incident and the way he reacted to A.J.'s slide / the way he spoke to the media after that series.

Paciorek told me by the way there was nothing dirty about A.J.'s slide into second.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Delben:

Based on the Quintana incident and the way he reacted to A.J.'s slide / the way he spoke to the media after that series.

Paciorek told me by the way there was nothing dirty about A.J.'s slide into second.

LipSomebody already mentioned this in another thread Lip, but it would really help if you'd use the quote function when you reply to another poster, so we don't have to go paging back looking for the post you're referring to in order to understand what you're saying.