PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-23 Left Coast Epic Fail, LAA 4 SOX 1 Postgame Meltdowner

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Go twins!

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Garbage

DumpJerry
The Sox don't want to win.

Danielgosox38
This team is ****ing terrible right now.

BigHurt3515
Oh well lookie there we only scored 1 run again and we lost again!

Woo :whiner:

harwar
09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
BIG home stand coming up .. I'm hoping to see a different team tomorrow night against the tribe .. the losing streak stops there .. time to WIN five in a row now ..

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Robin has to learn to play his bench more on these road trips. If we had a decent bench, maybe we wouldn't have this issue. Floyd did what he was supposed to, but you can't win if you can't score.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm still heading to the park Friday. Hopefully, the Sox are leading in the Division and we're counting down the numbers again.

kingpin_rcs
09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
This sucks, I mean it really sucks. However, at least the next 7 games are at home where, for the most part, they are a much better team. Also, going into the last 10 games at worst they will be tied for first.

Also, the Tigers have to play KC. KC has given them fits recently as well. So, this can still get done. Right? RIIIIIIGHT?

thomas35forever
09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Sigh. Another day, another offensive failure, another hope for a Tigers loss.

supportsox
09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Here's what I'm going to do. Watch every pitch this week and root like crazy for my team. And if they don't make it, I'm not going to say they suck or they **** the bed. I will be crushed, but I will also be kind of proud that lots of experts picked my team last and they showed a lot of heart all year to prove them wrong. But I still think things are going to work out.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Robin has to learn to play his bench more on these road trips. If we had a decent bench, maybe we wouldn't have this issue. Floyd did what he was supposed to, but you can't win if you can't score.

They never went out and did what they needed to do to get a bench. They have been paying the price for that for awhile.

kittle42
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
This team looks very much like it would like to be golfing in a nice, warm place in 11 days. Part of me is so disgusted that I won't be upset if they get their wish (note - I know it isn't their wish).

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Here's what I'm going to do. Watch every pitch this week and root like crazy for my team. And if they don't make it, I'm not going to say they suck or they **** the bed. I will be crushed, but I will also be kind of proud that lots of experts picked my team last and they showed a lot of heart all year to prove them wrong. But I still think things are going to work out.

They did predict the Tigers to win the division, and the Sox to not win the division. Records don't really matter. That matters.

I'm not going to go around gloating to my Yankees fan girlfriend about how awesome our 86 wins were in comparison to her ALDS or possible world series run is.

kittle42
09-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm not going to go around gloating to my Yankees fan girlfriend about how awesome our 86 wins were in comparison to her ALDS or possible world series run is.

One more win for that winning season we can all be proud of.

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
BIG home stand coming up .. I'm hoping to see a different team tomorrow night against the tribe .. the losing streak stops there .. time to WIN five in a row now ..

:gulp:

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm going Tuesday and Saturday to support our Sox. The Sox came too far to lose now. I strongly believe a sellout crowd will energize this team into a 10-game winning streak. I'm not giving up on this team.

Woofer
09-23-2012, 06:37 PM
This team pisses me off, but I realize that even though they could lose they rest of their games and end up with a record of 81-81, it's been a fun season.

As a life long Sox fan, I have been disappointed more than I have been pleased with them. I am used to seasons being blown in September, and sometimes they do surprise us and pull it off. I did manage to get playoff tickets for games 1 and 2, and would love to be there. I just hope that the Sox want it as bad as I do.

billyvsox
09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
How is it possible that KC hasnt taken over 1st place yet

slavko
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Coming home with a share of first or better. Get your butts out there. Most of us sound like a bunch of front-running losers. Let's see some pride.

infohawk
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
They had better throw it into high gear against some weaker competition over the next few days. The Sox look terrible right now. Almost hopelessly terrible. You might expect it from some of the less experienced players, but even the veterans are tanking. I've never understood the "collective funk" concept, but is seems real. We've seen these offensive problems materialize from time to time this season. The good news is that the Sox come out of them, but wow is this a bad time. They need to finish strong! I don't want an entire offseason devoted to pondering how the Sox were in the driver's seat with two weeks to go and fumbled the ball to the Tigers. That's a LOOOOONG offseason!:o:

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2012, 06:41 PM
They can still win 7 more, if they go 5-1 against the Toons and 2-2 against Tampa from here on out. Of course none of it will happen if the offense doesn't get out of 2011 mode.

JB98
09-23-2012, 06:44 PM
LOL at Scioscia using three pitchers to close the game in the ninth inning. He could have sent Donald Duck to the mound, and Donald would have earned the save without difficulty.

Kinda stinks that Floyd had a bad inning in the sixth, but really, I can't blame him for this loss. He would have had to throw a shutout against a good Angels lineup to win this game. It's just not realistic to expect that.

This offense is horrible. Beyond horrible. It might cost this club a playoff spot.

SCCWS
09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I've never understood the "collective funk" concept, but is seems real. :o:

Maybe the team cook is to blame. Time to change the pregame meal.

Corlose 15
09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Will people actually be happy with this season if the Sox blow the division but finish with a winning record? Are expectations for this organization really that low that anyone would be satisfied with that? Or are we just talking about a major defense mechanism?

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Thomas 35 said it best. It's sad that the highlight of the day was a Twins win but that's your 2012 White Sox.

Kittle if they continue to head south at least winning more than they lost means something to me and I'll continue to take that at least as a positive. For I think the millionth time that doesn't mean I'm satisfied but it beats the hell out of a losing season.

You think differently and that's fine.

Corlose, I've followed this club for 52 years, absolutely given the franchise history it's partially a defense mechanism with me. If they had won say 12 titles that's a different perspective but you take what you can get....and this is my way to take something good out of a season.

If they piss this away I'll be absolutely disgusted and pissed no question...satisifed? no...happy? no.

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Will people actually be happy with this season if the Sox blow the division but finish with a winning record? Are expectations for this organization really that low that anyone would be satisfied with that? Or are we just talking about a major defense mechanism?

Sometimes I wonder if that is the case.a small minority of fans probably.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 06:51 PM

LOL. I was actually thinking this right after the game today.

We might not win another game this year, or so it feels that way.

What huge dissapointment for those who hang their hat on the stupid stat of a "winning season."

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Corlose:

Oh I haven't checked this since last year but I think under Kenny for example, (not trying to single him out...) the average Sox win total is like 84 and change.

So yea maybe 'a winning season' is about the best we can hope for under the present organization and ownership.

Love: But you'd prefer to lose 100 games right?

Lip

Over By There
09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Seems like every time the Tigers pull even with the Sox, the Sox turn it around and the Tigers fall apart. Can it happen one more time?

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Seems like every time the Tigers pull even with the Sox, the Sox turn it around and the Tigers fall apart. Can it happen one more time?

It has to. This is the break point for both teams. Either the tigers figure it out now or we walk away with this division.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 06:59 PM
To tell you how bad Konerko (captain) has been, he's on the border of not finishing over .300.

The guy was flirting around .400 very early June.

He not finishing at .300 will be symbolic of how the offense has gone down the toilet.

It also appears we will not have a 100 RBI guy, something Dunn was looking like a lock at all year.

Will he get 40 HRs?

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Been a Sox fan for over 60 years and to tell you the truth winning seasons mean sometjing when I've only seen them in 2 World Series. Yes, expectations for this franchise are low, of course they could be the Cubs. Winning seasons for us Sox fans is like Pennants for Yankee fans.
That being said I will be very disapointed if we blow this thing.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Given the way the team has tanked the last week and the bad weather that's been in Chicago the past few days, I'm really curious as to how many fans are actually going to turn out.

Haven't heard much about the teacher's strike being out here, I had heard they were close to getting it solved so I imagine the students are back in class which is also going to have an effect.

Nell: You put it exactly right, that's how I feel. I won't be around but it would be interesting to see if the perspective of those who are so opposed to the concept of a "winning season" having some meaning, changes if say in 20 years they are in the same boat as us today.

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Been a Sox fan for over 60 years and to tell you the truth winning seasons mean sometjing when I've only seen them in 2 World Series. Yes, expectations for this franchise are low, of course they could be the Cubs. Winning seasons for us Sox fans is like Pennants for Yankees fans.
That being said I will be very dissapointed if we blow this thing.

Right, but just because the past is like that, does not mean we could ask or want better.

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Given the way the team has tanked the last week and the bad weather that's been in Chicago the past few days, I'm really curious as to how many fans are actually going to turn out.

Haven't heard much about the teacher's strike being out here, I had heard they were close to getting it solved so I imagine the students are back in class which is also going to have an effect.

Lip

They should come out. It's not even bad out and tickets are going as low as $4! Support the team!

A. Cavatica
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Or we're on our way to the Cruelest. 81-81 Season. Ever.

DSpivack
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Lip

Teachers went back to school this past wednesday.

Aside from a raw, rainy night friday, the weather has been fine and typical for late September.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Corlose:

Oh I haven't checked this since last year but I think under Kenny for example, (not trying to single him out...) the average Sox win total is like 84 and change.

So yea maybe 'a winning season' is about the best we can hope for under the present organization and ownership.

Love: But you'd prefer to lose 100 games right?

Lip

No. We can hope for a World Series and the present ownership/organization has proven that they can get us one.

Seriously, if we could only hear ourselves how dumb it sounds to talk about a meaningles stat like the "winning record" as being anything significant. We are not the damn Pirates for crying out loud!

Tragg
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Time to sit Wise and put our leadoff hitter back in for the rest of the season. For his "Excellent year", his obp has drooped to around .300.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Spivak:

Spoke to my mom yesterday and she said it was 50 degrees and blowing wind on Saturday...maybe things improved Sunday.

Lip

DSpivack
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Spivak:

Spoke to my mom yesterday and she said it was 50 degrees and blowing wind on Saturday...maybe things improved Sunday.

Lip

It's been a little colder and windier than normal, but the last couple days have also seen nary a cloud in the sky. A beautiful fall day in Chicago, to me.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Nell: You put it exactly right, that's how I feel. I won't be around but it would be interesting to see if the perspective of those who are so opposed to the concept of a "winning season" having some meaning, changes if say in 20 years they are in the same boat as us today.

Lip

They have'nt supported the team all year despite being in first place for most of it.

With this roadtrip (failure), I would be happy if the paid attendance is announced at 25K per night down the stretch.

Friday night is firework night, so 28K on that night.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Love:

With respect, with every season that goes by that World Series is looking more and more like a fluke.

It's gotten to the point where this organization hasn't even had consecutive "winning seasons" since 2005-2006 right?

I'm not saying they haven't tried, I'm simply saying the record speaks for itself...something isn't working, fair or unfair.

It simply might be time for a major overhaul.

Lip

Dan H
09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
No. We can hope for a World Series and the present ownership/organization has proven that they can get us one.

Seriously, if we could only hear ourselves how dumb it sounds to talk about a meaningles stat like the "winning record" as being anything significant. We are not the damn Pirates for crying out loud!

Yes, the present ownershiop has proven they can win one world championship, but it hasn't proven it can win another.

Not being as bad as the Pirates have been for the past 20 years gives little consolation. For too long, Chicago baseball fans have been satisified with so-so teams.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Time to sit Wise and put our leadoff hitter back in for the rest of the season. For his "Excellent year", his obp has drooped to around .300.

The guy who should sit for good is Viciedo.

What a huge dissapointment to me on this guy. Makes you wish you had Quentin still .

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Love:

Well that's assuming Q wasn't on the DL.

And your comments about Dunn and Konerko are true. Dunn has completely gone back to his 2011 days since August 1st.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Love:

With respect, with every season that goes by that World Series is looking more and more like a fluke.

It's gotten to the point where this organization hasn't even had consecutive "winning seasons" since 2005-2006 right?

I'm not saying they haven't tried, I'm simply saying the record speaks for itself...something isn't working, fair or unfair.

It simply might be time for a major overhaul.

Lip

I too agree that 2005 was some sort of a fluke, but you can say that luck and fluke is involved in almost every WS champion.

The Sox suckage since the WS is not due to lack of effort/commitment from JR and Kenny. I have been more than satisfied to see us in top 5-10 in payroll every season and still draw in the bottom 3rd in fans during that time.

The players need to perform. They just don't perform when it counts.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Lip

Different perspective when you follow a team for almost a quarter century to get your first real sniff of post season baseball. (I really dont remember much from 59 and maybe most of that was what I heard from my dad)

I doubt the Sox will ever go through that again , so the younger folks probably will never feel as we do.

Tragg
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
The guy who should sit for good is Viciedo.

What a huge dissapointment to me on this guy. Makes you wish you had Quentin still .

Okay sit Viciedo.
But sitting De Aza is inane.

shingo10
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
This organization could be great if it knew how to play in the 2nd half of the season. 2006, 2009, 2010 would all have been postseason trips...

Do they need to train differently? Do they get tired? I just don't get it. It's every year no matter who the players are or who the manager is.

Let's hope Chicago is indeed a sweet home for the next week. Come on Sox keep being resilient.

DSpivack
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Love:

Well that's assuming Q wasn't on the DL.

And your comments about Dunn and Konerko are true. Dunn has completely gone back to his 2011 days since August 1st.

Lip

Yep, Quentin managed all of 81 games this season.

JB98
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Okay sit Viciedo.
But sitting De Aza is inane.

I agree -- unless there is an injury situation with De Aza that we don't know about. That's very possible, given the issues Alejandro has had the second half of the season.

JB98
09-23-2012, 07:22 PM
This organization could be great if it knew how to play in the 2nd half of the season. 2006, 2009, 2010 would all have been postseason trips...

Do they need to train differently? Do they get tired? I just don't get it. It's every year no matter who the players are or who the manager is.

Let's hope Chicago is indeed a sweet home for the next week. Come on Sox keep being resilient.

Yes, IMO. The Sox frequently field top-heavy rosters with little depth. Robin has (rightfully) played his regulars a ton this year because he has no bench.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Love:

But that's the key issue isn't it. "The players don't perform when it counts"

The million dollar question is WHY?

As Shingo says this "second half blues" is no longer a one year fluke, it's not a two year coincidence...it's a bona fide TREND.

It's happened basically every year (but one if memory serves) since 2003...EVERY YEAR BUT ONE!

The managers change, the players change, the results remain the same.

You have to look at what or who the constants are over this period of time.

Two of the few are (again for right or wrong) ownership and the G.M.

If what JB says has truth to it (and I strongly think it does) then you have to ask a legitimate question of why Kenny wouldn't (or couldn't) improve the bench. Was it payroll limitations? Was it that he honestly felt it wouldn't be a factor? Was it because he was blocked in trying to get guys through waivers?

As far as the comment about "luck" in World Series Champions, I totally agree but there has to be a reason why some teams seem to get "luckier" more often than others isn't there? The Yankees, Braves, Cardinals, Angels seems to make the playoffs a lot. Boston and the Phillies are right up there too. What do they do that the Sox organization doesn't? That would be an answer worth knowing.

Just sayin'

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
They should come out. It's not even bad out and tickets are going as low as $4! Support the team!

**** it, good call. I'll be out there Tuesday too. Possibly Wednesday to go along with Friday.

SCCWS
09-23-2012, 07:27 PM

I think you tend to find that older teams often die down the stretch in September. The veterans on this team have logged a lot of time mainly because of the huge dropoff of the bench talent. Robin has probably played them in July and August more than he would have if the bench was not so weak. It seems lately like DeAza, Beckham and Rios seem to be playing pretty well and the rest look like a 60+ Softball team. I think #2-6 (excluding Rios) are playing on fumes.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
traight winning Given the way the team has tanked the last week and the bad weather that's been in Chicago the past few days, I'm really curious as to how many fans are actually going to turn out.

Lip
Thats why to this day those 17 straight winning seasons we had from 51 through 67 mean so much to us graybeards.

Aesero
09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
The other times the Sox were swept they came back and started a mini win streak. I am confident they can do the same against the Indians. Ten games left and worst case scenario the team is tied for first at the start of a seven game home stand. This team has shown that it can have a bad stretch of games then do a 180 and win.

Try to show some confidence in a team that has been in first place for the majority of the year. Try to keep the bitching down and enjoy this week of baseball. Win or lose its just a game for our enjoyment. It can be frustrating to watch, yes, but unlike fans of teams like the Cubs or Twins we have something exciting to watch at the end of the season.

Win or lose this team has been great this year. Way above everyone's expectations. I hope like everyone else that this team will have a strong finish and reach the postseason. In the end there isn't anything we can do to really change the outcome of what happens.

That being said, sit back, try to relax, and strap it down. Lets go White Sox.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 07:40 PM
If what JB says has truth to it (and I strongly think it does) then you have to ask a legitimate question of why Kenny wouldn't (or couldn't) improve the bench. Was it payroll limitations? Was it that he honestly felt it wouldn't be a factor? Was it because he was blocked in trying to get guys through waivers?

Just sayin'

Lip

No matter what some people say, Williams is a smart baseball guy. He must have known this type of team, that was heavy on older veterans couldnt be ridden the way they were. I also cant believe that everyone that could help the Sox (looking at bench that is basically any MLB veteran) was blocked. So that leaves one reason why the bench is what it has been for the year.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
By the numbers:

The Sox are now 3-for-42 in their past six games with runners in scoring position.

Sox are 9-12 so far in September.

Sox are 25-24 since August 1st.

Sox are now 34-33 since the All Star Break.

JB might be on to something...

Lip

BigKlu59
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
By the numbers:

The Sox are now 3-for-42 in their past six games with runners in scoring position.

Lip

1 game over since the break.... I think there is a word for that, um... "PATHETIC"... It's amazing that thru all of the incoming and collateral damage they have remained perched atop the hill with colours flapping..

This looks like an alley fight the rest of the way.. Heres hoping the Palehose have enough to walk out into the street and hang on the streetlight to hail a cab in triumph...

BK59

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
The baseball gods seem to want the Sox to win the division, they are giving them every break imaginable (example the Twins winning today...)...and so far the Sox keep flushing the chances down the toilet.

Sooner or later it's going to catch up to them unless something changes dramatically and quickly.

Lip

PeteWard
09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
"The Sox are now 3-for-42 in their past six games with runners in scoring position."

They are choking to put it bluntly.

Still time to turn it around though.

tstrike2000
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Two wins and we can match that magical 2001 team that went 83-79.

all*star quentin
09-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Robin needs to tweak the lineup, Youk bad knees, Dunn still has an issue with his oblique and Konerko wrist, head and stiff back!!

Come on RV, loyalty to your veterans is one thing, but they are just not getting the job done.

Go Sox!

amsteel
09-23-2012, 08:11 PM
The Sox got 1 hit w/ RISP in Los Angeles.

Sounds about right for the 7th best team in the league by records and 9th in overall offensive WAR, so yeah, its not that surprising that the offense is the one blowing the division.

Domeshot17
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
We really don't deserve to make the playoffs at this point. This team has to decide if it gives a damn or not. Right now they don't. If they blow this division, 2012 will go down as the year of the Southside Quit Men. This is unacceptable for any major league ball club.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Robin needs to tweak the lineup, Youk bad knees, Dunn still has an issue with his oblique and Konerko wrist, head and stiff back!!

Come on RV, loyalty to your veterans is one thing, but they are just not getting the job done.

Go Sox!

This is a team with a bench full of never beens, never going to bes and 1 has been. You have to have your horses plod on to the wire now.

palehozenychicty
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Love:

But that's the key issue isn't it. "The players don't perform when it counts"

The million dollar question is WHY?

As Shingo says this "second half blues" is no longer a one year fluke, it's not a two year coincidence...it's a bona fide TREND.

It's happened basically every year (but one if memory serves) since 2003...EVERY YEAR BUT ONE!

The managers change, the players change, the results remain the same.

You have to look at what or who the constants are over this period of time.

Two of the few are (again for right or wrong) ownership and the G.M.

As far as the comment about "luck" in World Series Champions, I totally agree but there has to be a reason why some teams seem to get "luckier" more often than others isn't there? The Yankees, Braves, Cardinals, Angels seems to make the playoffs a lot. Boston and the Phillies are right up there too. What do they do that the Sox organization doesn't? That would be an answer worth knowing.

Just sayin'

Lip

They all draft and scout better. They also develop far more homegrown All-Star talent.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
This is a team with a bench full of never beens, never going to bes and 1 has been. You have to have your horses plod on to the wire now.

Excllent point, I was thinking the same thing. Has to be one of the worst benches in MLB, why KW didn't try to bolster the bench is anyone's guess.
Jose Lopez, Ray Olmedo, Dan Johnson, give me a break. Wise has been the only plus.

SCCWS
09-23-2012, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=Noneck;2992516. I also cant believe that everyone that could help the Sox (looking at bench that is basically any MLB veteran) was blocked. So that leaves one reason why the bench is what it has been for the year.[/QUOTE]

Scott Posednik???--Red Sox signed him in early August. He is hitting .309 w 8 SBS and 188 ABS. But Wise has been pretty productive. The Sox need a .250 hitter w some pop which I guess Johnson isn't to give some help off the bench. In fact, not one call up has been used to give some offensive jolt o the lineup.

PaleHoser
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
The Sox got 1 hit w/ RISP in Los Angeles.

Hawk's probably referencing "greased tees" somewhere over the Rockies right about now.

REMINDER: It's OK to take a pitch or two with runners in scoring position, particularly when bases are loaded. I think they're getting themselves out more than the pitchers are.

cards press box
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks in part to some shoddy Detroit defense, the Twins beat the Tigers in Game 1 of the doubleheader today. And thanks to an Alex Avila throwing error, the Twins just tied the Tigers 1-1 in the 5th inning of Game 2. Oh yeah, and Detroit used Max Scherzer in Game 1 (Scherzer went 5+ innings) and just pulled Drew Smyly in the 5th inning of Game 2. The Tigers' defense puts a lot of pressure on that pitching staff and Jim Leyland has gone to the bullpen a lot today.

Hopefully, the Twins can sweep this thing.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM

Awesome post. I literally checked the standings the other day expecting to see KC five or six games back.

cards press box
09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Awesome post. I literally checked the standings the other day expecting to see KC five or six games back.

With their loss today, KC is still 28-22 since August 1. They are playing pretty well and, hopefully, that continues.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Lip - the last two days have been beautiful Fall days in Chicago.

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Lip - the last two days have been beautiful Fall days in Chicago.

It really has been beautiful this weekend.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Love:

This is a typical Cubs fan comment towards the Sox. There's no such thing as a "fluke" World Series championship. Every season in baseball is independent of every other season. The 2005 WS title would have no more significance if the Sox won three or five straight division titles.

And, if you're going to call a one-time title win a "fluke", then baseball history is full of "fluke" World Champions minus the Yankees, Big Red Machine and Finley's A's.

amsteel
09-23-2012, 08:49 PM
If neither team alters their rotation game 163 in Detroit would be Sale-Verlander.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, the present ownership has proven they can win one world championship, but it hasn't proven it can win another.

Not being as bad as the Pirates have been for the past 20 years gives little consolation. For too long, Chicago baseball fans have been satisified with so-so teams.

The Angles haven't won a world championship since 2002. It's not exactly an easy thing to do, even for teams who spend boatloads of money.

cards press box
09-23-2012, 08:56 PM
The Angles haven't won world championship since 2002. It's not exactly as easy thing to do, even for teams who spend boatloads of money.

If memory serves me, only 4 AL teams have won a World Championship since 1993: NYY, Boston, LAA and the White Sox. That's it.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Yes, IMO. The Sox frequently field top-heavy rosters with little depth. Robin has (rightfully) played his regulars a ton this year because he has no bench.

The plan this year was to go with De Aza in CF, Viciedo in LF, Morel at 3B, Beckham at 2B and try to work Flowers in at catcher gradually to finally see what these had. Kenny did change the M.O. somewhat halfway through the season when he picked up Youkilis, Myers and Liriano, but the plan was still to see what the young guys could finally do since they've been blocked for the past couple of years by Pierre, Vizquel and an under-achieving Quentin.

I don't think there was anyone magically available at mid-season that was going to come in and help. Bringing in a guy like, for example, Andruw Jones to spell Viciedo in LF defeats the purpose of seeing what Viciedo can do. I think Robin's going to go down with his ship win or lose.

cards press box
09-23-2012, 09:09 PM
This is a typical Cubs fan comment towards the Sox. There's no such thing as a "fluke" World Series championship. Every season in baseball is independent of every other season. The 2005 WS title would have no more significance if the Sox won three or five straight division titles.

And, if you're going to call a one-time title win a "fluke", then baseball history is full of "fluke" World Champions minus the Yankees, Big Red Machine and Finley's A's.

After 6 complete, the Twins and Tigers are tied 1-1 in Game 2. I agree that calling the 2005 World Champs a "fluke" is definitely sour grapes. There have been relatively weak world champs but the 2005 Sox are not one of them.

It is necessary to go through all that team accomplished? How about this: (1) setting a major league record of leads in 37 games to start the season to break the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers' record, (2) going wire to wire in first place (one of 5 teams), (3) going wire to wire in 1st place and leading their league in wins (1 of 4 teams), (4) going wire to wire in first place, leading their league in wins and sweeping the World Series (1 of 2 teams with the 1927 Yankees), (5) starters completing 4 straight post season games (1st team since 1957 Yankees), (6) starters winning 4 straight complete post-season games (1st team since 1927 Yankees), (7) went 11-1 in the post-season, a record in the modern era matched only by the 1998 Yankees and (8) finished the regular season and playoffs going 16-1, a mark exceeded only by the powerhouse 1970 Baltimore Orioles who went 17-1 to close the season.

Yeah, that is some fluke.

Brian26
09-23-2012, 09:14 PM
By the numbers:

Lip

1 game over since the break.... I think there is a word for that, um... "PATHETIC"... I's amazing that thru all of the incoming and collateral damage they have remained perched atop the hill with colours flapping..

BK59

The 2005 Sox were 57-29 at the Break.

With 10 games left on September 22, 2005, they were 91-61.

That's a 34-32 record.

Anything can happen.

BigKlu59
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
The 2005 Sox were 57-29 at the Break.

With 10 games left on September 22, 2005, they were 91-61.

That's a 34-32 record.

Anything can happen.

Well lets hope they have the same triumphant finish the 2005 Sox did :D:

Mohoney
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
The Angels are a good team, and they're fighting for their playoff lives. Getting swept in this series isn't all that big of an anomaly. Series like this happen sometimes.

That's why you can't afford the 6-12 record against the Royals.

CHISOXFAN13
09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
The Angels are a good team, and they're fighting for their playoff lives. Getting swept in this series isn't all that big of an anomaly. Series like this happen sometimes.

That's why you can't afford the 6-12 record against the Royals.

They are a very good team, but they were helped out by an offense that can't get a clutch hit. Sox had the potential Cy Young award winner on the ropes and they let him off the hook.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Brian:

Which dovetails into my point about the "second half blues" although in 2005 the Sox weren't going to top or equal what they did in the first half of that season. But as in every year but one since 2003 they didn't even come close in the second half. In 2005 that didn't cost them. It did so, badly in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

Brain / Cards: My comment about "fluke" wasn't directed towards the title per se but the fact that since then not only haven't the Sox gotten back to the series, they've only made the playoffs one time. They blew two excellent chances in 2006 and 2010. The title wasn't a fluke maybe getting to the post season was in the sense that they couldn't build on that. You can settle down Cards, I know what that title meant and it was earned.

TStrike 2000: Considering that 2001 team was gutted by pitching injuries (six to start the year) and became only the second team in MLB history (Brewers were the first) to be 15 under at one point and have a winning season, you're sarcastic comments belittles what that team did. They played their asses off, showed a lot of heart when they could have thrown in the towel in May and said "**** it."

Brian: I can think of three guys right off the top of my head who were available and seemed to be a better player than what the Sox have. Ankiel who can hit the home run and was voted in a poll of MLB players at S.I. as having the second best arm in the majors, Fontenot and Blum who was a switch hitter.

They didn't have to replace Dayan or De Aza. They needed to replace guys like Danks, Olmedo and Lopez.

Lip

PKalltheway
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Just sayin'

Lip

I don't know if you're being rhetorical, because if you're a close follower of the game as most of us are here, it's not rocket science to see why those teams succeed more than the Sox at reaching the playoffs.

Yankees: It's easy to make the playoffs when you can outspend everyone for the free agents you want.

Braves: Some of the best front office minds in the game. They can draft and scout better than the Sox.

Cardinals: Benefit from being in a weak division, but they fall along the same lines as the Braves. Plus, having Albert Pujols for all of those years helps, too.

Red Sox: They're trending downward obviously, but they were able to outspend most of their competitors and were able to have some good players come out of their farm system.

Phillies: Drafted and scouted well. Upped the ante payroll-wise once they won it all and spent wisely at that.

Also, the teams listed above all typically feature solid and consistent starting pitching, something that can be erratic for the Sox (not this year obviously, but over the last few seasons). Couple that with an inconsistent lineup, and you have the recipe for what the Sox have been and typically are, an average team.

Some years, being merely average (i.e. this year) is good enough to win the division. Other times, being average will get you a near-miss, or a distant 2nd or 3rd place finish in the Central. Add in the fact that it's harder to make it to the playoffs in the American League, especially if you're trying to make it in as a Wild Card, and there you have it.

DickAllen72
09-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Tigers lose Double Header to Twins. Sox still in first by one game.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 10:18 PM
The white sox will win this division. This is just how it's going to be. The tigers will not take it from us.
We will back our way in, but we'll win.

PalehosePlanet
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Detroit losing a double-header at home against a bad Twins team is even worse than us being swept 3 games to a tough Angels team on the road. (We have to look for silver linings guys.)

Nice to know we're not the only ones tightening up.

And, of course, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than El Douche Grande.

BigKlu59
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM

Lose a game and pick up a 1/2 game.... Is this the piccadillo they refer to as addition by subtraction?.. that loss column muligan has come up spades in this Einsteinian stretch..Get this thing to 4 and say buh bye...

BK59

Zakath
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM

God bless us for our enemies. This is going to come down to who doesn't choke it away. Who would think that you could lose 5 straight and not get caught in this scenario?

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Wake the hell up Sox! The Tigers are handing you the division! They got it wrapped up in nice giftwrap and a pretty bow on top. Start hitting the ball and winning games so you can accept this nice gift!

wassagstdu
09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Thats why to this day those 17 straight winning seasons we had from 51 through 67 mean so much to us graybeards.

"Finishing in the first division," as they used to say, seems more solid than finishing above .500. In fact, it took me years to realize that was all it meant, generally. To me, the postseason has greatly devalued every aspect of performance other than winning the WS. As I argued for years, winning the pennant was the real accomplishment. The World Series was only an exhibition like the All Star game.

In those days 8 teams out of 16 had a good year. Now every team but one goes out a loser -- the opposite of the intention of the division structure, I think.

soxfan1965
09-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Detroit losing a double-header at home against a bad Twins is team is even worse than us being swept 3 games to a tough Angels team on the road. (We have to look for silver linings guys.)
I agree. To me the Sox getting swept in Anaheim is very disappointing but not surprising. The Tigers getting losing a twin bill to the Twins is very surprising given the Tiger powerhouse offense and home field. Still a heartbeat to Sox hopes after a certain death this weekend. That's the drama of baseball for you, with more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel.

harwar
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
It's definitely going to be one hell of an interesting week ..

Soxman219
09-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm officially pumped for Tuesday and Saturday's games.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm officially pumped for Tuesday and Saturday's games.

See you Tuesday my friend.

Have to sweep the Indians here and put the pressure on the tigers to make no mistakes. Have the right guy in sale coming up to take care of the deed tomorrow.

Mohoney
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
In those days 8 teams out of 16 had a good year. Now every team but one goes out a loser -- the opposite of the intention of the division structure, I think.

The intention of the division structure was to create profitable, high-profile games at the end of the season in an effort to increase revenue. The second wild card has gone one step further by riding the coat-tails of recent one-game-playoff scenarios by ensuring at least one sudden-death playoff game each year. The added bonus of increasing the number of meaningful regular season games well into September also helps offset the natural decrease in attendance that accompanies the beginning of the school year.

The fans of the Orioles, A's, Angels, Rays, Cardinals, Brewers, and Dodgers ALL still have a reason to keep watching, even though the only team in that group that still has a realistic shot to win their division is the Orioles.

LITTLE NELL
09-24-2012, 06:23 AM
"Finishing in the first division," as they used to say, seems more solid than finishing above .500. In fact, it took me years to realize that was all it meant, generally. To me, the postseason has greatly devalued every aspect of performance other than winning the WS. As I argued for years, winning the pennant was the real accomplishment. The World Series was only an exhibition like the All Star game.

If you finished in the "First Division'' in those days you actually shared in the WS payouts.

doublem23
09-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Because they're bad. And their Elimination Number hit 0 yesterday.

JB98
09-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Because they're bad. And their Elimination Number hit 0 yesterday.

Yeah, the mighty Royals are 58-76 against teams not named the White Sox. They are bad. I know they look great against the Sox and all, but their overall body of work is unimpressive.

BigKlu59
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah, the mighty Royals are 58-76 against teams not named the White Sox. They are bad. I know they look great against the Sox and all, but their overall body of work is unimpressive.

Yup, Their blind squirrels found alot of nuts when they played the Palehose..

BK59