PDA

View Full Version : 9/22 "Two Runs Ain't Gonna Do It" Postgamer

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Ehh

Dibbs
09-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, it was a fun year. Robin did pretty well, and it was great to have Ozzie gone.

amsteel
09-22-2012, 11:04 PM
This team isn't choking, they've been a 10-over kinda team all year. No one should be surprised.

WhiteSox5187
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
If this team falls out of first I think they are done.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
This team isn't choking, they've been a 10-over kinda team all year. No one should be surprised.

The glimpses of better really made one hope though

palehozenychicty
09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm actually more surprised that the Angels never took command of a WC slot. They are loaded. Pitching is overrated, though.

Brian26
09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Adam Dunn tonight was embarrassing. That 2nd strikeout.....wow, he should be giving money back to the Sox based on that at bat. Three terrible swings.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Adam Dunn tonight was embarrassing. That 2nd strikeout.....wow, he should be giving money back to the Sox based on that at bat. Three terrible swings.

That at bat kind of made me laugh though. He didn't even look like he had a chance. That was the baseball equivalent of Derrick Rose breaking Andre Miller's ankles.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Win five straight...increase lead to three games.

One step forward.

Then turn right around, drop four straight as the offense goes right in the toilet, Detroit closes to a half game.

Two steps back.

Your 2012 White Sox in a nutshell.

Not going to be easy with Weaver tomorrow.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
This team is out of gas. I don't think they'll be in first after 162.

Typical White Sox season finish.

soxnut1018
09-22-2012, 11:11 PM
In first place with 11 games to go. I would've taken that scenario with glee when the season started.

That's the closest thing to a positive spin I can muster at this point.

slavko
09-22-2012, 11:13 PM
That at bat kind of made me laugh though. He didn't even look like he had a chance. That was the baseball equivalent of Derrick Rose breaking Andre Miller's ankles.

Getting me in the mood. Waitaminute, the baseball season's not over. We're likely to lose and the Tigers split tomorrow. Tied. After Monday, we're going to be back up a game. Based on the matchups anyhoo.

Sure could use somebody to carry the club right about now. Courage.

Viva Medias B's
09-22-2012, 11:16 PM
5_H-LY4Jb2M

Tragg
09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
We're a half a game up and it feels like we're 5 games back.

doublem23
09-22-2012, 11:18 PM
vXuCeZyPfmM

supportsox
Must have faith. I still think things will work out.

Lip Man 1
Tragg:

That appears to be the way the team is playing right now, so your analogy fits.

Lip

tstrike2000
09-22-2012, 11:19 PM
After Thursday's loss to KC in extra innings, I had that sinking feeling for really the first time all year where I didn't think the Sox had any chance in Anaheim. I was hoping to be wrong, but now the Sox have the task of trying to beat Weaver tomorrow. Maybe he'll make some mistakes.

PalehosePlanet
09-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I said in the game thread that Jose's error in the 1st inning, which cost us 3 unearned runs, would be the difference in the game. Sure enough, we lose by 2.

Hope is all I have for this team at this point. Losing 4 straight at this time of year is brutal.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Getting me in the mood. Waitaminute, the baseball season's not over. We're likely to lose and the Tigers split tomorrow. Tied. After Monday, we're going to be back up a game. Based on the matchups anyhoo.

Sure could use somebody to carry the club right about now. Courage.

One day I will learn to be hopeful like you and some of the posters on this board. .5 is not really a lead, it depends what the tigers do with the game they have in hand.

FoulTerritory
09-22-2012, 11:21 PM
This team is out of gas. I don't think they'll be in first after 162.

Typical White Sox season finish.

The weird thing is that if the Sox do survive this drama, I still think they could be a force in the playoffs. Never underestimate the power of feeling relieved.

The 2005 White Sox backed in with a clinch against Detroit and then went to Cleveland and looked like the team that they were from April till August. They crushed the Indians wild card hopes with a sweep and then never looked back, dominating the playoffs with an 11-1 record

My point: IF the Sox still squeak in to the postseason, then they might have a whole different mojo than they are feeling now. The relief of surviving a near debacle could potentially help them play relaxed.

But I'm not kidding myself. It doesn't look good right now. That strike-out by Dunn. Wow.

Soxman219
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I know we are all down in the dumps right now. We're on a 4-game losing streak and it's looking like we won't be in first when the Sox are finally back home on Monday. But we're still in first place and it can stay that way. All the Sox got to do tomorrow is win. Just win, and at worst we'll be tied heading back home. The Sox have beaten Weaver before and Floyd has the stuff to pitch well. Then we'll have 7 home games to the Tigers 4. For those games, the Sox need a sold-out crowd. Maybe a packed house will finally give the Sox the boost they need to start a run. Again, I know it looks bad now, but a win tomorrow will change the outlook dramatically.:smile:

Corlose 15
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM

Blowing a 3 game lead with 15 to play (if it happens) is most definitely choking. Trends and preseason expectations are irrelevant at this point.

Tragg
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I certainly think we choked Thursday night -primarily the manager. But these last 2 days - we haven't been close enough to choke. Although some of those ABs in the 8th inning (and before) were awfully shaky.

shingo10
09-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Well. I think the good thing is that if we're going to have a bad week and Detroit have a good week I would rather it be now and next week if we recover then we'll still be in good shape.

We've seen this movie in 2005 and 2008...both of those years we made it. Positive thoughts.

Also like him or not you have to feel for Hawk. He sounds like he hasn't slept in a month and his pain comes through everything he says. The only glimmer of joy he had was when he got to talk about Yaz for a bit...

A. Cavatica
09-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Bring back Kenny, the Hahn era sucks.

Foulke You
09-23-2012, 12:15 AM
3 runs on Tuesday, 0 Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, and 2 Saturday. Not too difficult to see why we are 1W-4L on this road trip. The hitting with RISP has been brutal. We have seen this problem plague the Sox in the past. The 2012 Sox have been better about it but it is a shame the "famine" portion of our offense is coming up on this critical road trip. I just hope they saved "feast" for the final 10 games.

RockJock07
09-23-2012, 12:41 AM
It's just tough to see a team starting to lose a grip on a division that the Tigers can't win for themselves.

pmck003
09-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Need Youk and Dunn to produce or no wins.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Watch the tigers lose both games tomorrow, the sox win and us leave home with a 2 game lead.

The tigers have come close but let it slip all year. Lets see if it is that kind of year, or if this is indeed the downfall. I think, if the tigers grab the lead tomorrow, they win the division. If not, we win.

samurai_sox
09-23-2012, 01:25 AM
The Sox are like that marathon runner that slips and falls right before the finish line.

rpmorri
09-23-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm thinking the Tiggers sweep, so do the Angels. Season over.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2012, 06:38 AM

I don't know how the rest of you feel but 2 years of Adam Dunn is enough for me, I'm hoping that KW or who ever the GM is can trade Dunn and his Mendoza Line Batting Average and all his Ks to some team for some decent prospects. Maybe Miami will take him off our hands and give us Buerhle back, I'd rather pay Mark 14 million than Dunn.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm thinking the Tiggers sweep, so do the Angels. Season over.

Detroit are heavy favs in both games and the Sox are a big dog, so that will probably happen. Then 10 games left and down 1 but not a dead duck yet.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 06:43 AM
I don't know how the rest of you feel but 2 years of Adam Dunn is enough for me, I'm hoping that KW or who ever the GM is can trade Dunn and his Mendoza Line Batting Average and all his Ks to some team for some decent prospects.

I would be satisfied just taking a salary dump and using that cash elsewhere.

soltrain21
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't know how the rest of you feel but 2 years of Adam Dunn is enough for me, I'm hoping that KW or who ever the GM is can trade Dunn and his Mendoza Line Batting Average and all his Ks to some team for some decent prospects. Maybe Miami will take him off our hands and give us Buerhle back, I'd rather pay Mark 14 million than Dunn.

I think you need to let go of both of your ideas.

SCCWS
09-23-2012, 08:30 AM

I know it is not a big deal, but I would move Rios or Paulie up to 3rd and drop Dunn down to 6-7. Dunn has 1 HR and 2 RBIS for September.

kufram
09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Detroit are heavy favs in both games and the Sox are a big dog, so that will probably happen. Then 10 games left and down 1 but not a dead duck yet.

Hardly a dead duck is right, and how anyone can call losing a 3 game lead choking is beyond me... that is just losing a 3 game lead. Choking is when the title is yours to lose. We've never been far enough ahead to say that. I came to this site hoping to find like minded Sox fans. We've played as bad as we can play I reckon and yet we are still in position to win it... why are people giving up now?? Throwing in the towel is for boxing corners when the fighter is unable to carry on.

October26
09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Hardly a dead duck is right, and how anyone can call losing a 3 game lead choking is beyond me... that is just losing a 3 game lead. Choking is when the title is yours to lose. We've never been far enough ahead to say that. I came to this site hoping to find like minded Sox fans. We've played as bad as we can play I reckon and yet we are still in position to win it... why are people giving up now?? Throwing in the towel is for boxing corners when the fighter is unable to carry on.

I'm here and I'm not giving up anytime soon. Robin said in a postgame interview last night that he'd rather be in this situation (meaning fighting for a division title) than playing the role of spoiler. Right on, Robin and Let's Go White Sox!

cards press box
09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Throwing in the towel is for boxing corners when the fighter is unable to carry on.

I couldn't agree more. The Sox' largest lead all year has been 3.5 games. That just isn't very much. It has been a close race and, obviously, it is still a close race.

The Sox do look like their dragging a bit right now. On the other hand, they are finishing what has essentially been a four city, ten game road trip (remember, they went from Minneapolis to Kansas City by way of Chicago).

After today, the Sox will have 10 games left, 7 of which are at home. 6 of those 10 games are with Cleveland who have played very poorly in the second half. The Tigers finish with their last 6 on the road. The Tigers have 7 left with Kansas City and since August 1, KC is 28-21.

The bottom line is this: the Sox have no doubt had a tough week but starting Monday, the schedule favors the White Sox over Detroit. If the Sox and Tigers are tied going into Monday, I still like the Sox' chances.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I couldn't agree more. The Sox' largest lead all year has been 3.5 games. That just isn't very much. It has been a close race and, obviously, it is still a close race.

The Sox do look like their dragging a bit right now. On the other hand, they are finishing what has essentially been a four city, ten game road trip (remember, they went from Minneapolis to Kansas City by way of Chicago).

After today, the Sox will have 10 games left, 7 of which are at home. 6 of those 10 games are with Cleveland who have played very poorly in the second half. The Tigers finish with their last 6 on the road. The Tigers have 7 left with Kansas City and since August 1, KC is 28-21.

The bottom line is this: the Sox have no doubt had a tough week but starting Monday, the schedule favors the White Sox over Detroit. If the Sox and Tigers are tied going into Monday, I still like the Sox' chances.

Don't forget the Rays, they are still in the hunt for the Division and a Wild Card and are playing very well right now. That 4 game series next weekend could tell the tale.

johnnyg83
09-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Will somebody stand the **** up? This is ****ing brutal. This would be a choke that we'll never ever forget.

34rancher
09-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Welcome to my world. The love for Adam Dunn has always amazed me. I have been pretty blasted around here for my distain for that signing. It's clutch time Adam, where are you and your highest salary on offense?
Since August 22, 3 hr and 5 rbis 28 ks.
Against the potential playoff opponents of the Tigers, A's, Rangers, Angels, Yankees, and Orioles: 8 hrs. and 23 rbis in 177 AB. Get this guy out of the3 hole. Good grief...

I said this 2 months ago and got ripped for it: This team and fans have fallen in love with the Home run. While there is nothing wrong with a home run as part of your game, in fact you have to have some, but to see the upper cut swings of our hitters developing the last month and a half is ridiculous (Youk, Dunn, AJ, TCM, etc.). We seem to have lost sight of driving the ball up the middle and to the gaps. Then we wonder why our offense has disappeared. It seems as though Rios is only one this year consistent. Guy has been the team MVP beyond the shadow of a doubt.

That being said, we are still in this if we can get some last minute focus. Cmon guys, make the bat meet the ball.

wassagstdu
09-23-2012, 10:08 AM

This team and fans have fallen in love with the Home run. While there is nothing wrong with a home run as part of your game, in fact you have to have some, but to see the upper cut swings of our hitters developing the last month and a half is ridiculous (Youk, Dunn, AJ, TCM, etc.). We seem to have lost sight of driving the ball up the middle and to the gaps. Then we wonder why our offense has disappeared. It seems as though Rios is only one this year consistent. Guy has been the team MVP beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Too much of the team seems to have adopted the Dunn/Thome approach of refusing to take what the pitcher and defense give you and going for the long ball too predictably. It's always been hilarious and tragic to watch hitters like Alexei and Beckham with their long uppercut swings regardless of the situation. The fan base is partly to blame (Isn't Scott Podsednik remembered around here mainly for one HR?) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Dunn mindset is contagious.

amsteel
09-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Need Youk and Dunn to produce or no wins.

Youk is done. His Sept /line: 0.169/0.300/0.356. He was a great 2 month rental. Unfortunately that rental started in June.

Dunn was obtained not thinking he would see the shift as much as he does now. I'm sure that's the cause for his significantly decreased average. He seems like a good guy and all, but no tears will be shed if he's gone after this year.

amsteel
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM

I didn't see a line for the 2nd Detroit game, but yeah, a 3 game parlay would be free money.

soltrain21
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Too much of the team seems to have adopted the Dunn/Thome approach of refusing to take what the pitcher and defense give you and going for the long ball too predictably. It's always been hilarious and tragic to watch hitters like Alexei and Beckham with their long uppercut swings regardless of the situation. The fan base is partly to blame (Isn't Scott Podsednik remembered around here mainly for one HR?) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Dunn mindset is contagious.

It didn't seem that way at the beginning of the year.

amsteel
09-23-2012, 10:35 AM
(Isn't Scott Podsednik remembered around here mainly for one HR?)

He should be ashamed of himself for that walk-off World Series homerun

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 10:37 AM
It doesn't matter who they are playing, it doesn't matter who the other pitcher is...if this stat doesn't change immediately, they aren't going anywhere....188 average with runners in scoring position over the last 15 games and 3-for-30 over the last four.

Sox are 7-8 in their last 15 games. The hitters look completely spent.

Lip

SBSoxFan
09-23-2012, 10:51 AM
3 runs on Tuesday, 0 Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, and 2 Saturday. Not too difficult to see why we are 1W-4L on this road trip. The hitting with RISP has been brutal. We have seen this problem plague the Sox in the past. The 2012 Sox have been better about it but it is a shame the "famine" portion of our offense is coming up on this critical road trip. I just hope they saved "feast" for the final 10 games.

Actually, the Sox are 4-4 on the road trip, with the make up game with Detroit in between. Doesn't feel that way though, does it? :(:

AnkleSox
09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Even if the Sox held on to this lead by some miracle they'll be one and done in the playoffs.

Pathetic.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Actually, the Sox are 4-4 on the road trip, with the make up game with Detroit in between. Doesn't feel that way though, does it? :(:

The sox have a poetic way of ruining what was a great feeling and turning it into a all hope is lost forever type of deal.

SBSoxFan
09-23-2012, 10:59 AM
The sox have a poetic way of ruining what was a great feeling and turning it into a all hope is lost forever type of deal.

Is it the Sox or Sox fans doing that?

amsteel
09-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Sox are 5-5 in last 10, Tigers are 7-3, that's why it feels so bad.

Fun Fact!:
The Sox' playoff odds have gone down 30% in the last 5 days.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Guillen:

That's happened more than once over the years with this franchise. Sox fans are categorized at times as cynical.

Given the history I can't say I blame them. They've seen that movie often, some more than others depending on how old they are.

Lip

johnnyg83
09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Guillen:

That's happened more than once over the years with this franchise. Sox fans are categorized at times as cynical.

Given the history I can't say I blame them. They've seen that movie often, some more than others depending on how old they are.

Lip

When was the last time we had a September surge when the games mattered?

palehozenychicty
09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
They need to win today. Period.

harwar
09-23-2012, 11:48 AM

:thumbsup:

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I hope i'm wrong,but this team is beginning to look like the 2011 Braves (or the 2011 Blow Sawx,take your pick). :(:
Hawk and Stone were right about one thing: provided he's still with the team in 2013,next ST,someone sure as hell better
work with Quintana on COVERING FIRST ****ING BASE!!:angry:

Chez
09-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm a bright-sider. If past is prologue, Sox are about to begin a 5 game winning streak.

cards press box
09-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Don't forget the Rays, they are still in the hunt for the Division and a Wild Card and are playing very well right now. That 4 game series next weekend could tell the tale.

I know that the Sox have 4 with Tampa Bay. But the series is in Chicago and the Sox should do OK. The Rays have great pitching but the Sox seem to be able to score enough at home. What's more, Tampa may well be eliminated by that series.

Sox fans are categorized at times as cynical.

Lip

All that is true about the Sox history and may well explain the fans' outlook. The players, I assume, know mostly the Sox recent history which includes a world championship in 2005.

Fun Fact!: The Sox' playoff odds have gone down 30% in the last 5 days.

That happens this time of year. If Detroit splits (or loses) the doubleheader today, their odds will drop, too.

In any event, the playoff odds for the Tigers and the Sox are 50-50 going into today. That reflects the fact that the schedule may favor Detroit today but will start to favor the Sox tomorrow.

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2012, 11:53 AM
They need to win today. Period.

With Jered Weaver on the mound?

GOOD LUCK!!:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm a bright-sider. If past is prologue, Sox are about to begin a 5 game winning streak.

With Weaver pitching for the Halos?

Maybe tomorrow,not today.:(:

SephClone89
09-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I hope i'm wrong,but this team is beginning to look like the 2011 Braves (or the 2011 Blow Sawx,take your pick). :(:

What an inane comparison.

SI1020
09-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Hardly a dead duck is right, and how anyone can call losing a 3 game lead choking is beyond me... that is just losing a 3 game lead. Choking is when the title is yours to lose. We've never been far enough ahead to say that. I came to this site hoping to find like minded Sox fans. We've played as bad as we can play I reckon and yet we are still in position to win it... why are people giving up now?? Throwing in the towel is for boxing corners when the fighter is unable to carry on. Not trying to criticize you, but everyone doesn't have the same outlook on their favorite baseball team or life in general. Some people just have to bring out their intensity in ways that you might deem negative. I think it's great that you follow the team so closely from across the pond. It's just that some of us are tired of this rerun of many years past.

DSpivack
09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
What an inane comparison.

Yeah, the Sox biggest lead was what, 3 games or so?

soltrain21
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah, the Sox biggest lead was what, 3 games or so?

Yeah. Three games as a mediocre team.

TaylorStSox
09-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Not trying to criticize you, but everyone doesn't have the same outlook on their favorite baseball team or life in general. Some people just have to bring out their intensity in ways that you might deem negative. I think it's great that you follow the team so closely from across the pond. It's just that some of us are tired of this rerun of many years past.
There's plenty of clutch teams for you to follow.

SI1020
09-23-2012, 01:13 PM
There's plenty of clutch teams for you to follow. Will I get banned if I tell this poster to stuff it?

Lip Man 1
09-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Because SI is bringing out the frustrations of many Sox fans who have gone through this route before (sometimes many times before) doesn't make him fair weather or invite the reaction that basically he should 'just follow someone else'. (paraphrase)

That's totally uncalled for and over the top.

Despite what some think, fan-dome isn't 100% all the time black or white on issues (my team right or wrong...but god damn it MY team!) ....there are a ton of shades of gray as is the case in just about everything in life.

SI is tired of this team coming up short. Hell if they piss this away that'll make four times in 10 years... no matter what you think or how you think, that's a real problem folks.

And this is one team that simply can't afford to keep pissing chances away.

Lip

delben91
09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm frustrated the Sox, and particularly the offense have been so inept the last 5 games. That said, they've had horrendous stretches all year and then turned around and won 8 of 10.

The Tigers have been at home this past week against weak competition. The competition doesn't get much stiffer, but the Tigers do go on the road this coming week, where they are a totally different (and worse) team.

The Sox have played 10 on the road against teams that have had their number recently, and come home next week with an easier schedule than they had this week (who wouldn't prefer a series at home v. Tampa than on the road @KC with this particular Sox team?)

Detroit is nothing special, and maybe the Sox aren't record-wise either, but I think all the Sox need is one win and the momentum will totally shift.

I've stuck with this team all year, no reason to jump ship now. 10-ish games to go, and I'm going to enjoy them, if for no other reason than because my not enjoying them certainly isn't going to make the team play any better.

kufram
09-23-2012, 01:25 PM
All I'm saying is could we please let them piss it away before we jump all over them for pissing it away? I've been around for as long as most people and longer than most just due to age but I'm not carrying the weight of history onto the game today... I see no point. I'm just thinking of the game today because we just might win.... and I don't care who the pitcher is.... everybody loses sometimes and maybe today is Weaver's turn. But that's just me.

thomas35forever
09-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Thia is sickening. We could easily be a game out after tonight. And we have no one to blame but ourselves. It's getting very hard to have faith in this team. The rotation found the new wind it so desperately needed. Can the offense please follow suit? Our pitchers can only do so much. Without support, nothing good will happen.

delben91
09-23-2012, 01:27 PM
All I'm saying is could we please let them piss it away before we jump all over them for pissing it away? I've been around for as long as most people and longer than most just due to age but I'm not carrying the weight of history onto the game today... I see no point. I'm just thinking of the game today because we just might win.... and I don't care who the pitcher is.... everybody loses sometimes and maybe today is Weaver's turn. But that's just me.

:clap:

happydude
09-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Yes indeed.

kufram
09-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Also, the Tigers are capable of blowing every game at any time just due to their sandlot fielding. Reference the game they are playing right now.