PDA

View Full Version : I'm Scared, Someone Hug Me

34 Inch Stick
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
There are too many game against too many good teams left with the Tigers corresponding with nothing but teams fighting for last place. I need some comfort.

amsteel
09-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Since May 1 Detroit has gained control of at least a piece of 1st place twice, both times from the Sox. Ergo, they cannot get into first unless they directly take it from the Sox.

Saracen
09-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Since Tampa's done, may be a chance they relax next week. 4 game series, at home, not worried.

peelwonder
09-21-2012, 08:46 AM
They have 7 with K.C. and we have 6 with Cleveland.....K.C. is much better and younger(more to prove) than Cleveland......

doublem23
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
There are too many game against too many good teams left with the Tigers corresponding with nothing but teams fighting for last place. I need some comfort.

The Tigers are currently 39-36 against teams that have a losing record. This is the 4th worst mark in the American League, ahead of only Minnesota, Cleveland, and Kansas City. On paper, their schedule may look like a cakewalk, but if the games were played on paper, they'd have a commanding lead right now.

Not saying it's impossible for them to get hot and catch us these last 2 weeks, but if they did, it would be an anomaly for them. They just have not been very consistent all year long.

DeadMoney
09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
The Tigers are currently 39-36 against teams that have a losing record. This is the 4th worst mark in the American League, ahead of only Minnesota, Cleveland, and Kansas City. On paper, their schedule may look like a cakewalk, but if the games were played on paper, they'd have a commanding lead right now.

Not saying it's impossible for them to get hot and catch us these last 2 weeks, but if they did, it would be an anomaly for them. They just have not been very consistent all year long.

I'll give you some paper stats that have me somewhat optimistic that the Twins could steal a game or two this weekend. I actually don't hate their pitching matchups...

Deduno (3.84, 1.47) vs Porcello (4.57, 1.53)
Diamond (3.69, 1.28) vs Fister (3.65, 1.22)
Walters (6.39, 1.62) vs Scherzer (3.78, 1.27)

Walters sucks, but in 2 starts vs Det this year:
vs Det 6.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 HR, 5 BB, 4 K
@ Det 6.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 HR, 3 BB, 2 K

Noneck
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
If anyone is not scared , they are delusional. But its better to be scared now than thinking about next year.

Juice16
09-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Its hard not to get that 2003 feeling right now.

happydude
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
If anyone is not scared , they are delusional. But its better to be scared now than thinking about next year.

Yep. Its easy to believe ourselves to be overachieving frauds simply waiting for the bubble to burst and regard the Tigers as underachievers poised to explode and sneak past us for good at any time. Its probably going to be a very tense two weeks for fans in both cities.

Madvora
09-21-2012, 09:11 AM
So far this season...

3-2 against the Angels
8-4 against the Indians
3-0 against the Rays

DeadMoney
09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
So far this season...

3-2 against the Angels
8-4 against the Indians
3-0 against the Rays

No Royals/Tigers left. 26-9 since (I believe) the ASB against everyone else. And the way this season has gone, nothing that happens this weekend will shock me.

Edit: As pointed out below... July 20, not the ASB.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I have been throwing these numbers out for a few weeks, so here goes again.

Since heading into Detroit on July 20 for the first sweep
The Sox have gone 31-26
Record vs. Detroit: 2-8 (lost six games in standings)
Record vs. KC: 3-9
Record against all others: 26-9 :o:
Games left vs. KC and Det: 0

The Tigers have gone 30-26
Record vs. the Sox: 8-2 (picked up 6 games in standings)
Record against all others: 22-24
Games left vs. Sox: 0

The Tigers are now what they have been all year: Good starting pitching, a few fat guys who hit the ball well, and cripplingly horrible defense. I don't forsee them suddenly "figuring it out" 149 games into the season. Judging from their numbers against teams other than the Sox, they are probably going to go .500 over the rest of the year.

Harry Potter
09-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Oh I'm beyond a Nervous Nellie at this point but as many others have said, I'm very glad we are still talking about relevant 2012 white sox baseball this late into the season.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Its hard not to get that 2003 feeling right now.Not at all for me. We were tied with the Twins at this point and with three games in the Metrodome looming. Our only other hope was for the 94 loss Indians and the 119 loss Tigers to beat the Twins. Totally different.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
I am excited. 12 games left, we're in first and we're in the middle if a playoff chase. I'll take it.

I also have faith in this ball club. Something tells me everything will be okay.

Moses_Scurry
09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I remember being pretty terrified right around this time in 2005. The fact is the sun will set and rise 13 more times (less than 2 weeks) and our lives will go on no matter what happens. These 13 days will feel like 13 years while they are happening, but it won't take long before they feel like an instantaneous blip. That will be the case whether the Sox win the division or fall short.

No matter what, we'll all be here again in April, agonizing over the next season. The circle of life!

Madvora
09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
I've honestly been unable to "watch" games for about 4 weeks now. Usually I'm in on every pitch, but I've had to shut off billions of games because the Sox lose the lead early. I've been DVRing the games, and mostly I skip past the opponent's half of the inning because I can't bear to watch the Sox give up runs. When's the last time we had a blowout?

doublem23
09-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Er8UQDVuAE0

DeadMoney
09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I've honestly been unable to "watch" games for about 4 weeks now. Usually I'm in on every pitch, but I've had to shut off billions of games because the Sox lose the lead early. I've been DVRing the games, and mostly I skip past the opponent's half of the inning because I can't bear to watch the Sox give up runs. When's the last time we had a blowout?

Last Sunday - it was awesome.

Harry Potter
09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien
Billy Butler: "If we take care of business against Detroit, (the White Sox) have a good chance to be in the playoffs."

Sounds good to me. After kicking our behinds all season, I'll be a big Billy Butler fan the next 13 days.

Madvora
09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Last Sunday - it was awesome.
Ah yes. Those Twins games were nice.

DonnieDarko
09-21-2012, 09:41 AM

This. I wouldn't use the word "scared" (more like "apprehensive"), but whatever the case may be I'm enjoying this pennat race.

Domeshot17
09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Going to be a nerve wrecking last 2 weeks for sure. If we miss the playoffs, the 6-12 record vs KC will almost be entirely to blame, no excuse for it.

voodoochile
09-21-2012, 09:55 AM

I don't do scared. When I start to feel apprehensive it just pisses me off. I will only back up so far. Think something's busted in my survival instinct mechanism.

As a great philosopher once said:

"If you're scared, go buy a dog."

GO SOX!

jdm2662
09-21-2012, 09:58 AM
The flip flopping on this board and in the world in general never ceases to amaze me. All the win did on Monday was give the Sox a larger margin for error. That's all. There was no reason to print the playoff tickets or talk about the playoff rotation at that time. In turn, there is no reason to fall off a cliff and act like the world is coming to an end. The Sox have the advantage and still have a margin for error. I'd rather be in that position than chasing another team.

I know we have bad flashbacks about previous seasons. Well, under the Leyland regime, DET has faded down the stretch more than once. And you know what? Those past seasons mean nothing today.

On another note, stop talking about next season. There is no such thing as next year in sports. What happens now has no baring on the future.

DumpJerry
09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs0u5pUlN6CyWB-mCY5WS3gJA0UvhEAOrmtYerT0Aa13avrQ2HjB9IEjJS

kittle42
09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
The flip flopping on this board and in the world in general never ceases to amaze me. All the win did on Monday was give the Sox a larger margin for error. That's all. There was no reason to print the playoff tickets or talk about the playoff rotation at that time. In turn, there is no reason to fall off a cliff and act like the world is coming to an end. The Sox have the advantage and still have a margin for error. I'd rather be in that position than chasing another team.

I know we have bad flashbacks about previous seasons. Well, under the Leyland regime, DET has faded down the stretch more than once. And you know what? Those past seasons mean nothing today.

On another note, stop talking about next season. There is no such thing as next year in sports. What happens now has no baring on the future.

Logic is such a rare thing these days. Great post.

DonnieDarko
09-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Going to be a nerve wrecking last 2 weeks for sure. If we miss the playoffs, the 6-12 record vs KC will almost be entirely to blame, no excuse for it.

I dunno, I think that the abysmal record against the Tigers is more to blame.

dwitt76
09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Detroit ends the season with 3 games in KC.

Carneyman14
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
"Sit back, Relax, Strap it down.....White Sox Baseball" :gulp:

palehosepub
09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Detroit ends the season with 3 games in KC.

...and we have three at Cleveland which I think is a much easier task. Worst case if drop the two game lead going into the final series we would have a slight edge in my opinion.

But lets just clinch it at home agaisnt the Rays and party likes its 2005.:gulp:

enurb
09-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm lifting my self-imposed ban on posting because I realized it too was a product of being scared.

According to Farmio, the Sox have been in first place for the past 111 games. Keep the faith and say to yourself, "Silly fool, scared is for Cubs fans."
:D:

TheOldRoman
09-21-2012, 10:49 AM
I dunno, I think that the abysmal record against the Tigers is more to blame.Yes, but Detroit is a respectable team. The Royals are 19 games under .500 against teams other than the Sox.

Soxman219
09-21-2012, 11:32 AM
With the possible acquisition of Terry Francona in Detroit, Tiger fans implicitly want the Tigers to lose too, I bet we aren't the only ones.

We're gonna be alright, the Sox have came too far and have too much pride to lose now. By next Sunday, the only think Sox fans will be thinking about is how Sale will do Game 1 of the ALDS.

voodoochile
09-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, but Detroit is a respectable team. The Royals are 19 games under .500 against teams other than the Sox.

And they swept the Kittens the last time they met...

Lip Man 1
09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Dome:

That 6-12 record against Detroit isn't helping matters. That's 12-24 against two teams in your own division.

JDM:

Actually what happens now (i.e next two weeks) WILL impact next season. Another blown postseason spot will make it even more tougher to get the fan base, already angry, to buy tickets. That impacts the payroll Hahn (if he's named G.M.) will have to work with.

Plus if the Sox do make the postseason additional home games (which I assume will be sold out) will generate additional revenue that might be applied to next year's payroll. Making the playoffs this year if I remember right, guarantees the Sox at least two home games.

Then you have the additional benefit of some fans stepping up and getting season tickets for next year based on the results this year.

I get what you are trying to say but to just say there's no impact at all on next year is wrong.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Voodoo:

As Roman posted last night, that sweep 'upped' the Royals record vs. Detroit to 4-7.

Still nothing to write home about is it?

Just based on the numbers I'd be surprised if say Detroit would finish with a losing record to them...unlike another team we know and love.

Lip

russ99
09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
We're still in first until we're not. As long as we take care of business, we're in.

The Sox have bounced back after each time we lost a series to the Royals.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2012, 11:51 AM
And let's hope that streak will continue.

Lip

jdm2662
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Dome:

That 6-12 record against Detroit isn't helping matters. That's 12-24 against two teams in your own division.

JDM:

Actually what happens now (i.e next two weeks) WILL impact next season. Another blown postseason spot will make it even more tougher to get the fan base, already angry, to buy tickets. That impacts the payroll Hahn (if he's named G.M.) will have to work with.

Plus if the Sox do make the postseason additional home games (which I assume will be sold out) will generate additional revenue that might be applied to next year's payroll. Making the playoffs this year if I remember right, guarantees the Sox at least two home games.

Then you have the additional benefit of some fans stepping up and getting season tickets for next year based on the results this year.

I get what you are trying to say but to just say there's no impact at all on next year is wrong.

Lip

This team is built to win this season. It's not built for long term success, whether we like it or not. Will a playoff apperance increase season ticket/advanced sales? Sure, we may get a small boast. But, a boast in revenue isn't magically going to fill all the long term questions/holes. With a differnet GM, maybe he will change some things. Even if it was, there is still not such thing as next year. As we have seen, things change year in and year out.

JB98
09-21-2012, 12:00 PM
The reason for hope is this: No more games with Detroit or Kansas City.

White Sox record since the All-Star break:
vs. Tigers: 2-8
vs. Royals:5-10
vs. Other: 27-12
Total: 34-30

You add another layer to that, and six of the 12 losses in the "Other" category are to just two clubs -- Boston and Baltimore.

It's really quite remarkable the Sox have a two-game lead in their division when they've spent a healthy chunk of the second half getting owned by two divisional opponents.

Really weird team, really weird season. Take a look at the splits (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2012-schedule-scores.shtml)here. You'll note the Sox have a .500 record (3-3) against the Oakland A's. Their winning percentage against every other team is either .600 and above, or .333 and below.

The Sox own several teams, and several teams own them. Just strange.

soxfan123
09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

We have a 73% chance of winning the division based on BP's simulations.

harwar
09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm just really enjoying this .. it's great to be so excited everyday and have something to look forward to at this time of year ..

kobo
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm not worried. The Sox have played good baseball against just about every team not named Royals or Tigers. They're in the driver's seat right now, and I don't have confidence that Detroit is suddenly going to catch fire these last 2 weeks. They are a team with a horrible defense that has cost them and will continue to cost them games. Going to be a fun final 2 weeks.

Soxman219
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
As long as the Sox win, they're in. My advice to Sox fans is don't pay attention to Detroit games anymore; as long as the Sox win it doesn't matter.

PaleHoser
09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Recent Tigers history shows they don't finish strongly in a tight race.

In 2006, the Tigers lead or were tied for the lead in the division from May 20th until the last day of the season. They lost their last five at home to finish one game behind the Twins.

In 2009, the Tigers lead the division by three games with four to play, blew it to finish in a tie with the Twins and lost the one game playoff.

Jim Leyland was manager of both of those clubs.

kevingrt
09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I love group hugs.

Crooked Number
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I remember being pretty terrified right around this time in 2005. The fact is the sun will set and rise 13 more times (less than 2 weeks) and our lives will go on no matter what happens. These 13 days will feel like 13 years while they are happening, but it won't take long before they feel like an instantaneous blip. That will be the case whether the Sox win the division or fall short.

No matter what, we'll all be here again in April, agonizing over the next season. The circle of life!

I had to quote this because I love this post. Great take on things!

jdm2662
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Recent Tigers history shows they don't finish strongly in a tight race.

In 2006, the Tigers lead or were tied for the lead in the division from May 20th until the last day of the season. They lost their last five at home to finish one game behind the Twins.

In 2009, the Tigers lead the division by three games with four to play, blew it to finish in a tie with the Twins and lost the one game playoff.

Jim Leyland was manager of both of those clubs.

Don't forget about 2007 where they were the race before fading. They also went 6-12 against a team that lost 90 games. That team? Our beloved White Sox...

thomas35forever
09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Just have faith. I'm as nervous as the next guy, but it's a hell of a lot better than where we were the last three years around this time. I'd take this over that anytime.

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Last night's loss was so huge because it almost forces you to have to take 2 of 3 from the Angels this weekend. It's a game (like many vs KC the sox should not have lost)

That's not easy, especially with Quintana and Floyd going games 2 and 3.

F4L
09-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Hugs.

GqT031jGrkE

BNLSox
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm nervously spending the weekend in Anaheim to watch our boys.

white sox bill
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I guarantee we will be playing in October. Go to the bank on it

WisSoxFan
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
My thought of the day was this. If the Sox can avoid a losing streak for the rest of the year they'll finish with 88 wins (assuming a win one, lose one for the last 13). That seems doable, yes? That means the Tigers have to go 10-3 to finish in first and 9-4 to tie. Now if that Sox can accomplish that (no more losing streaks this season) and have one more winning streak of more than one game (even if it's just two games) they'll finish with at least 89 wins and that will be enough. IMO.

It's gonna happen and it starts with Peavy kicking the Angels behinds tonight. Can't wait!

DumpJerry
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
:hawk
It's alllll gooood!

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2012, 09:45 PM
I guarantee we will be playing in October. Go to the bank on it

I'd bet my house on it too.

Can't wait for that Cleveland series.

shingo10
09-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Well barring an amazing comeback, tonight sure isn't going to make anyone feel any better.

But l will say that after 2008, I've learned that I shouldn't get so upset about every game because in the big picture as long as we've got a shot then as Hawk would say "it's all good."

All it takes is for us to be in this position at the end of next week.

Viva Medias B's
09-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of your womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

St. Marcellin Champagnat, pray for us
Mary, our Good Mother, pray for us
And let us remember to pray for each other

Hey, it can't hurt us. When feeling down, always seek the power of prayer.

Soxman219
09-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, my optimism faltered a little.

ChiSoxGal85
09-22-2012, 12:05 AM
I can't decide which is worse - watching what appears to be the Sox losing their grip on the division lead 2 weeks before the end of the season, or watching all of the 2011 crapfest?

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2012, 12:08 AM
I guarantee we will be playing in October. Go to the bank on itAt least the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I can't decide which is worse - watching what appears to be the Sox losing their grip on the division lead 2 weeks before the end of the season, or watching all of the 2011 crapfest?

I'd rather go through crap all year than have my hopes dashed, if it does happen. I hate having things dangled in front of me only to be taken away.

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2012, 12:11 AM

The funny thing is that it feels like we are losing this thing slowly but in reality we have been hovering 2-3 game lead since the ASG.

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2012, 12:15 AM
I'd rather go through crap all year than have my hopes dashed, if it does happen. I hate having things dangled in front of me only to be taken away.

I said it last night, I rather lose 100 games and have the entire summer to myself than end up not getting into postseason.

Postseason / WS should be the only goal.

And for those who say pennant races are fun, they are when a team is actually playing good baseball as opposed to treading water playing .500 ball down the stretch.

doublem23
09-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah, like the '05 team that was a whopping 3 games over .500 over the final 71 games of the season.

That wasn't any fun.

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah, like the '05 team that was a whopping 3 games over .500 over the final 71 games of the season.

That wasn't any fun.

The end result was fun.

Those 71 games = a visit to the dentist.

I'm not Ms Cleo to see how this will all end, but let's just hope this suffering fans are going thru ends up paying up at the end.

Soxman219
09-22-2012, 12:46 AM

That wasn't any fun.

The clincher in Detroit was fun, the road to get there was hell.

Mr. Jinx
09-22-2012, 01:39 AM

I'm pretty boring. I much prefer a little excitement throughout the summer than giving up by June.

Quentin08
09-22-2012, 09:02 AM
It's been a great summer. I'd much rather go through a summer like this where every game counts and every win feels incredible. I'll be crushed if they can't hang on in this last week but I'll still be grateful for the exciting summer.

Realistically, I think the Sox will blow this thing by next weekend. I think we'll be up 1 game after the Angels series, we'll be tied for first after Tuesday, hang on till Friday, and then the pressure will be too much, and the implosion begins. I see us losing the division by 3 games. :whiner:

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I said it last night, I rather lose 100 games and have the entire summer to myself than end up not getting into postseason.

And for those who say pennant races are fun, they are when a team is actually playing good baseball as opposed to treading water playing .500 ball down the stretch.

WOW! Really? That's just sad. You don't get any enjoyment from all the wins and the hope and getting to closely follow a team and sport you love for months on end?

If it were easy it wouldn't be nearly as emotional nor as meaningful when it did happen. I don't WANT it to be easy to win the division and make the WS every year. Yeah, I'd like it to happen more often, but I hate giving up in June.

It's entertainment. The longer it lasts the more fun it is.

thomas35forever
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Realistically, I think the Sox will blow this thing by next weekend. I think we'll be up 1 game after the Angels series, we'll be tied for first after Tuesday, hang on till Friday, and then the pressure will be too much, and the implosion begins. I see us losing the division by 3 games. :whiner:
If we lose, I doubt it'll be by more than 2.

TomBradley72
09-22-2012, 11:51 AM

I don't know- the Monday afternoon game was great- very memorable and a unique experience of a weekday afternoon game in September being so meaningful and dramatic. Porbably one for the 4-5 most memorable (excluding "clinch"games) September games in the 40 years I've been a fan.

The reality is we're the 6th best team in a 14 team league- so not a "great"team by any stretch- but overall they've played good fundamental baseball with a great effort- it will suck if they blow it- but I'll take a 2012 "almost made it" over 1978-1981, 1986-1989, 1996-1999, 2007, 2009-2011 any day.

shingo10
09-22-2012, 11:59 AM
The journey is the reward.

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 12:08 PM
The journey is the reward.

Exactly...

LITTLE NELL
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I have mixed feelings on this year, I picked them for 86 wins and 2nd place and that was based on comeback years by Dunn, Rios and Peavy. All 3 have done well, it would be nice if Dunn could hit .250. Peavy has had a little letdown in the 2nd half and Rios has been real good all year. PK had a great first half but his injuries have hurt his production, a normal year by PK probably wins the division. Will I be dissapointed if we don't win the division? Yes, but not devastated as this team has some flaws and is not the 2005 White Sox.

sox1970
09-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I have mixed feelings on this year, I picked them for 86 wins and 2nd place and that was based on comeback years by Dunn, Rios and Peavy. All 3 have done well, it would be nice if Dunn could hit .250. Peavy has had a little letdown in the 2nd half and Rios has been real good all year. PK had a great first half but his injuries have hurt his production, a normal year by PK probably wins the division. Will I be dissapointed if we don't win the division? Yes, but not devastated as this team has some flaws and is not the 2005 White Sox.

I'm kind of there too. I mean, yeah, this would be a choke, but the only reason why the Sox are in contention for a division IS because of the division they are in. Unless you're over 90 wins, you're not that good anyway, so it's not a team to lose sleep over.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Dunn had a great first half. He's been M.I.A. since the All Star Break.

Lip

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm kind of there too. I mean, yeah, this would be a choke, but the only reason why the Sox are in contention for a division IS because of the division they are in. Unless you're over 90 wins, you're not that good anyway, so it's not a team to lose sleep over.

I'm currently entering the preseason predictions into the scoring page. I have yet to see a single person predict the Sox to win the division and only have had one person predict a WC. No one on this board expected this team to be where they are at the moment. This whole season has been like a 5.5 month long surprise party so far.

mzh
09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Dunn had a great first half. He's been M.I.A. since the All Star Break.

Lip
1st half: 84 Games, .208/24/61 134 K
2nd half: 56 Games, .210/15/29 68 K

I wouldn't say that's M.I.A. Overall production is down, but his per game average isn't all that different.

sox1970
09-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm currently entering the preseason predictions into the scoring page. I have yet to see a single person predict the Sox to win the division and only have had one person predict a WC. No one on this board expected this team to be where they are at the moment. This whole season has been like a 5.5 month long surprise party so far.

I think you can have preseason expectations and also change those expectations as the year goes on. Chris Sale pitching like an ace, a healthy Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko in April and May, AJ, Youkilis move, Quintana (who?), Jones, Reed for a while....there have been a ton of unexpected things this season, but those things happened while the Tigers played bad defense and didn't hit as much as they should have in the first half.

By late August, the Sox were in a position to play a favorable schedule to get to 90 wins. If they don't get there now, it's a disappointment. If they don't make it to the postseason, I'll look at some of the individual things as a success this season, but ultimately they would be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best team in the American League, and that's just not good enough...again.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Sox 1970;

Agreed, good post.

MZH: The drop in home runs and RBI's is dramatic. That's what he's being paid for, not batting average (although it would really help if he could hit even .250...)

Lip

mzh
09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Sox 1970;

Agreed, good post.

MZH: The drop in home runs and RBI's is dramatic. That's what he's being paid for, not batting average (although it would really help if he could hit even .250...)

Lip
The drop is dramatic but he's played in a bit more half the number of games. Either way, Konerko, Youk and AJ slumping have had far more to do with the Sox troubles than Dunn IMO.

That and Peavy not being able to beat anyone not from Minnesota...

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 01:45 PM
I agree with this but Dunn has not had a good second half by any standard.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
"Sit back, Relax, Strap it down.....White Sox Baseball" :gulp:

"Sit back"...yes.

"Strap it down" -if we're not strapped down by now, the Roller Coaster would have fallen off the tracks and injured the fans.

"Relax"- White Sox fans NEVER relax.Too much can go wrong.For example,the last 3 games against the Royals and Halos. :(:

My nervous system is working overtime at this point.Cool on the outside,freaking out on the inside.

SOXSINCE'70
09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with this but Dunn has not had a good second half by any standard.

Lip

Kevin Youkilis and Paul Konerko, where for art thou??:dunno:

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
"Sit back"...yes.

"Strap it down" -if we're not strapped down by now, the Roller Coaster would have fallen off the tracks and injured the fans.

"Relax"- White Sox fans NEVER relax.Too much can go wrong.For example,the last 3 games against the Royals and Halos. :(:

My nervous system is working overtime at this point.Cool on the outside,freaking out on the inside.

Definitely the same, I have made progress in the sense that I no longer need to punch anything to show frustration.

sox1970
09-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Definitely the same, I have made progress in the sense that I no longer need to punch anything to show frustration.

I'm a silent observer from now until the last Cleveland series. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best until then. I'll save my energy for October 1st.

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I think you can have preseason expectations and also change those expectations as the year goes on. Chris Sale pitching like an ace, a healthy Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Konerko in April and May, AJ, Youkilis move, Quintana (who?), Jones, Reed for a while....there have been a ton of unexpected things this season, but those things happened while the Tigers played bad defense and didn't hit as much as they should have in the first half.

By late August, the Sox were in a position to play a favorable schedule to get to 90 wins. If they don't get there now, it's a disappointment. If they don't make it to the postseason, I'll look at some of the individual things as a success this season, but ultimately they would be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best team in the American League, and that's just not good enough...again.

I agree with this, but the point remains if back in March any of us knew for a fact the Sox would be 1.5 games up with ~10 days to go in the season we'd have been damned happy.

Oh and I finally found someone who predicted the Sox to win the division...

guillensdisciple
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree with this, but the point remains if back in March any of us knew for a fact the Sox would be 1.5 games up with ~10 days to go in the season we'd have been damned happy.

Oh and I finally found someone who predicted the Sox to win the division...

True but wait ten days and do the same thing.

If we lose the division you could do:

If someone told you that the white sox would be in dirt place the majority of the year only to lose it in the last 10 games and not make the playoffs, you would be pretty damn pissed.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
We're they sober at the time?

:D:

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
1st half: 84 Games, .208/24/61 134 K
2nd half: 56 Games, .210/15/29 68 K

I wouldn't say that's M.I.A. Overall production is down, but his per game average isn't all that different.OPS: 1st half: .859; 2nd half .760. That eliminates the need to worry about "per-game." His production is down, and is terrible for the three hole.

PalehosePlanet
09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
OPS: 1st half: .859; 2nd half .760. That eliminates the need to worry about "per-game." His production is down, and is terrible for the three hole.

Some bad luck too. By my estimation he's lost about 25-30 hits this year because of the shift. Last year he didn't have bad luck, he just plain stunk.

Madvora
09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
In 2005, the Indians only got to within a game and a half of the Sox and people were panicking then. There has been about a 1,2 or 3 game distance between the Sox and Tigers for a really long time this year and that's a long time not being able to relax. This season is really tough. I only hope they can pull away and win this season by six games.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't care if they win it by percentage points... it would be such a shame to lead the division for over 115 days, to basically be in first place since mid May and to come up short the final ten days.

Lip

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Some bad luck too. By my estimation he's lost about 25-30 hits this year because of the shift. Last year he didn't have bad luck, he just plain stunk.

That's not bad luck that's refusing to adapt and allowing other teams to play the shift effectively against you. When Dunn was hot earlier in the year he was going to left a lot more. It still wasn't a bunch, but he even hit homers to LF. It was enough to keep defenses more honest against him to some degree.

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 04:54 PM
True but wait ten days and do the same thing.

If we lose the division you could do:

If someone told you that the white sox would be in dirt place the majority of the year only to lose it in the last 10 games and not make the playoffs, you would be pretty damn pissed.

No, I'd still put it in perspective of expectations. Others are free to do that and I can even understand it, but it's not me. Still, I expect to win the division this year, so sol good...

central44
09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
After watching a first place team almost all year and seeing what the Sox did to the Yankees and Rangers--the two AL "powerhouses"--this season, I won't be content with anything less than a playoff appearance. Just because everyone was wrong about how good the Sox were back in March has no bearing on how I feel about this group in September.

If they miss, it's going to feel like a huge wasted opportunity to me and that's what i'll remember about this year-a really good team that, for some reason, never showed up against Detroit and KC and missed out on a playoff spot. A spot they would have had easily if they were even average against those two teams

amsteel
09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Right now the Sox are the 6th best team in the AL record wise, Detroit: 8th. Neither team is all that good, they just had the luck of being drawn in the same ****ty division.

Making the playoffs would be nice, but it's not like it would be a tragedy if this team didn't make the postseason, since they are a wholly forgettable team. I predicted at the season's start that if EVERYTHING went the Sox' way they would compete for the 2nd wild card, which as it turns out is exactly what they're doing. It just turns out the Tigers are doing the same.

Choking down the stretch sucks, but they're not the kind of team that has shown the potential to do anything when it matters.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Central:

You said it pretty close to how I feel...now throw in missed chances in 2003, 2006 and 2010...and another blown shot wouldn't be a good thing.

Amsteel: The thing is though once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen and with Sale and Peavy as your top two starters, they could steal a short series.

I'd rather make the playoffs and lose three straight than blow the lead after four months and stay home.

Lip

Domeshot17
09-22-2012, 05:35 PM
What scares me is Detroit is looking alright, they looked good today, excited. Most importantly they are playing to win. The Sox, we are playing to not lose, trying to not lose the division. Miguel Cabrera and Verlander seem willing to put the team on their back and make sure they win, no one is doing that for the Sox. No one is stepping up to carry this team.

I am not saying its over, but Konerko or Dunn or Rios, one of them has to step up and lead this team to the playoffs. The Sox need a leader, and right now they don't have one.

Honestly, I don't give a crap if the Sox were supposed to be a bad team. Yes they are playing well beyond their talent level, but at this point in the season, missing the playoffs is just a choke job, no matter what team you are on. A lot of teams are playing above their talent level right now, The 2005 Sox played above their level all the way to a title. Missing the playoffs because we couldn't beat the ****ing Royals, that is not acceptable for any ball club who thinks they are a winning franchise.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Dome:

I recall Noneck making that point I think a few weeks ago. He said Detroit has three 'superstars' Verlander, Fielder and Cabrera, guys who can put a club on their back and carry them. He wondered who on the Sox was capable of taking charge and pushing the team across the finish line.

And I agree it would be sickening to blow a playoff spot because a Royals pitching staff that ranks near the bottom in most categories held the Sox to three runs or less in 11 (it might be 12 - I don't have the info in front of me here in the studio) of the 18 games. That's disgusting.

Lip

Soxman219
09-22-2012, 06:20 PM
What scares me is Detroit is looking alright, they looked good today, excited. Most importantly they are playing to win. The Sox, we are playing to not lose, trying to not lose the division. Miguel Cabrera and Verlander seem willing to put the team on their back and make sure they win, no one is doing that for the Sox. No one is stepping up to carry this team.

I am not saying its over, but Konerko or Dunn or Rios, one of them has to step up and lead this team to the playoffs. The Sox need a leader, and right now they don't have one.

Honestly, I don't give a crap if the Sox were supposed to be a bad team. Yes they are playing well beyond their talent level, but at this point in the season, missing the playoffs is just a choke job, no matter what team you are on. A lot of teams are playing above their talent level right now, The 2005 Sox played above their level all the way to a title. Missing the playoffs because we couldn't beat the ****ing Royals, that is not acceptable for any ball club who thinks they are a winning franchise.

That's because they played the Twins. The Tigers are no different then the Sox are; neither is going to run away with the division.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Soxman:

The difference is the Tigers play nobody but the Twins and the Royals the rest of the way. The Sox draw the Angels, Cleveland and Tampa.

Big, BIG, difference...which is why Sox fans on this board were saying a month ago they had to have the biggest possible lead going into the final two weeks because of the schedule differences.

The Sox had chance after chance to extend that lead to four maybe even five games and did not.

It could wind up costing them badly.

Lip

MushMouth
09-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I need a hug as well

voodoochile
09-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Good chance Tampa is eliminated before they come to Chicago and the Toons have been dreadful since they fell off after their hot start. Much rather be playing the toons to finish the season than the Royals.

RadioheadRocks
09-22-2012, 07:56 PM

This.

esbrechtel
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I can't believe how fast that 3 game lead disappeared :(

Avoid the sweep and get hope home cooking aganst the toons is what the doctor ordered.

Soxman219
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I can't believe how fast that 3 game lead disappeared :(

Avoid the sweep and get hope home cooking aganst the toons is what the doctor ordered.

People forget it's the Tigers. They have finished poorly before and they can again.

PKalltheway
09-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I feel like this will come down to a Game 163. Neither team has really taken advantage of the opportunities given to them.

Jurr
09-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Holy unfavorable schedule, Batman!
If the Royals lay down for the Tigers, it will be that team which leads to the Sox' undoing.
Fair enough. The team has put itself in a tough spot.
If they can't win enough to clinch, they just weren't good enough.

Like 2005, this team will not be able to back in.
Like 2005, this team will have to find a hot hand or two that can not only lead the team to the playoffs, but also through them.

amsteel
09-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I feel like this will come down to a Game 163.

I'd rather see them eliminated ASAP than see that.

On Aug 18 I said that if the Sox could win 7 of the remaining 14 games against the Royals and Tigers they would win the ALC no problem. They went 4-10 in those games. This team has been painfully predictable all year.

34 Inch Stick
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I am over my fear. I really do feel the Sox have this thing now.

white sox bill
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm glad at least some of us are feeling good about this. I'm not sure if thats urine or just water on our pants.....

WhiteSox56
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Just think about if the Sox had to play at the Royals for the last series...:o:

Starting to feel a little better about things, but far from feeling at ease about the Division title.

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Just think about if the Sox had to play at the Royals for the last series...:o:

2013.The Sox start (and end) the season with a 3 game series against......
the Royals.:o::o: Sure hope Rick Hahn plans to sign Bruce Chen and Jeremy Gutherie this off season.No teal intended.If you can't beat them,let's hope they'll join our side.

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Starting to feel a little better about things, but far from feeling at ease about the Division title.

Don't think I can relax until the Tiggers are officially eliminated.And like you,I am far from confident the Sox will win the division.A 5 game losing streak will do that to you.:(:

WhiteSox56
09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
2013.The Sox start (and end) the season with a 3 game series against......
the Royals.:o::o: Sure hope Rick Hahn plans to sign Bruce Chen and Jeremy Gutherie this off season.No teal intended.If you can't beat them,let's hope they'll join our side.

I forgot about that, that just adds to the already junk schedule for 2013.

ChiSoxGirl
09-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I forgot about that, that just adds to the already junk schedule for 2013.

As soon as I saw the schedule last week, I penciled Opening Day 2013 in as a loss. Bruce Chen vs. whomever for the Sox will result in beginning next season 0-1. Yes, I'm that confident. :rolleyes:

cards press box
09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRybJIjtdY3R2YlnSv5hknDudCDZbkUM d_2HHPkLQSA7zwjfcrhbSQtkowP9g

"Sox out of 1st place? You're kiddin' me."

Nope, not kidding. At least not kidding as of September 26. The good news is that the Tigers finish their home regular season schedule today with an afternoon game against KC. Hopefully, the Royals can salvage one game in the series and send the Tigers out of town on a losing streak.

As for the Sox, they have to get back to playing good baseball. No time like the present to get things going. Here's hoping for well played series against Tampa Bay and at Cleveland and some much needed wins!

JasonFrasor54
09-27-2012, 12:01 PM
At this point I've forgotten how it feels to win multiple games in a row.:(:

WhiffleBall
09-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I get this nasty feeling that the Sox will be eliminated by Monday and then win all three meaningless games in Cleveland. Tampa is still in it and has the pitching and Detroit has hit their stride with perfect timing while we are falling apart.

We can do a "good things about 2012 season" topic later because right now it totally sucks being a Sox fan.

SaltyPretzel
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
At this point I've forgotten how it feels to win multiple games in a row.:(:

So have the Sox.

ElevenUp
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM
My feelings were initially the same as the the title of this thread. Now it's more like: "I'm sick to my stomach, someone get me a bucket".

Dan H
09-27-2012, 03:17 PM
I get this nasty feeling that the Sox will be eliminated by Monday and then win all three meaningless games in Cleveland. Tampa is still in it and has the pitching and Detroit has hit their stride with perfect timing while we are falling apart.

We can do a "good things about 2012 season" topic later because right now it totally sucks being a Sox fan.

You're right. It totally sucks. The Sox had their fate in their hands and they let it slip way. I think you're right about Monday, too.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Dan:

Agreed. The baseball gods were giving the Sox every chance, every gift imaginable to help them including the Tigers losing a DH to the Twins...and the Sox refused to take advantage.

Sooner or later you run out of opportunities.

Detroit appears to have said, 'we'll take them, thank you...'

Lip