PDA

View Full Version : Sox minor league team


LongDistanceFan
07-28-2002, 11:30 AM
i read yesterday in a thread that there might been some problems with one of the minor league teams. something about the manager was doing a lousy job. i couldn't find that thread, but does anyone have more info on the situation?

kermittheefrog
07-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Thats the Kannapolis manager Razor Shines. Apparently Kenny visitted Kannapolis and everyone and their mom spoke up to tell him how bad of a manager Razor is, players included. His job can't be too safe, if only for PR reasons.

LongDistanceFan
07-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Thats the Kannapolis manager Razor Shines. Apparently Kenny visitted Kannapolis and everyone and their mom spoke up to tell him how bad of a manager Razor is, players included. His job can't be too safe, if only for PR reasons.

but does kw have the cojones to do what is needed?

btw who hired him?

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
but does kw have the cojones to do what is needed?


I'm sure Kenny is so worried about the media and fan backlash that would come with the firing of the Kannapolis manager.

LongDistanceFan
07-28-2002, 01:18 PM
what i was ref to is that anybody he gets or backs, he will stick with.

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what i was ref to is that anybody he gets or backs, he will stick with.

Yeah, on the major league level. There is far more attention and spotlight on those decisions. Nobody is going to give a damn about the firing of Razor Shines.

On a side note that's a baseball name. Razor Shines. Has a good ring to it.

TornLabrum
07-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Thats the Kannapolis manager Razor Shines. Apparently Kenny visitted Kannapolis and everyone and their mom spoke up to tell him how bad of a manager Razor is, players included. His job can't be too safe, if only for PR reasons.

Corrections: (1) The "thread" was my article for this week, the middle section. (2) The team is not Kannapolis. It is the Winston-Salem Warthogs (Carolina League). (3) The meeting hasn't happened yet. It's scheduled for next week. The Warthogs' GM is the person who received the complaints.

You did get one thing right, though. The manager is Razor Shines (the same one who got fired by the Reds a few years back for when he was managing in Charleston, WV Alley Cats for charging the stands after some fans in Charleston, SC (River Dogs) threw beer on him. My correspondent in Winston-Salem tells me that Shines' and Williams' families are old friends, and that didn't hurt when Shines applied for a job in the Sox organization.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan


but does kw have the cojones to do what is needed?

btw who hired him?

LOL!!

I think the better question is does Reinsdorf have the cojones to deal with the big leauge Sox.

hogwild
07-30-2002, 07:09 PM
Would LOVE to see Shines go. Have observed his strategy and his lack of respect for the players. What kind of "manager" sends in a DH with a .118? Just one of many stupid calls.

Daver
07-30-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by hogwild
Would LOVE to see Shines go. Have observed his strategy and his lack of respect for the players. What kind of "manager" sends in a DH with a .118? Just one of many stupid calls.

Hey,welcome aboard. :redneck

34 Inch Stick
07-31-2002, 09:45 AM
Send Nardi down to consult with him.

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Send Nardi down to consult with him.

why? do you hate that community that much? :D:

34 Inch Stick
07-31-2002, 01:15 PM
Hate it? Who can even figure out where Kannapolis is. Is that right between Hooterville and one of the many Springfields in this country?

Dadawg_77
07-31-2002, 01:21 PM
Question, who does hire and pay the managers of the minor league teams? The teams themselves are owned by people separate from the team itself and aligned themselves with a major league team. I assume the major league team pays the owner of the minor league team money for talent control rights, but who pays the players and such? Is it the White Sox or the local team? And who controls the teams management?

DrCrawdad
07-31-2002, 01:23 PM
I wonder if Razor gets cut if Jerry Hairston will be moved from Arizona to replace Shines?

Daver
07-31-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Question, who does hire and pay the managers of the minor league teams? The teams themselves are owned by people separate from the team itself and aligned themselves with a major league team. I assume the major league team pays the owner of the minor league team money for talent control rights, but who pays the players and such? Is it the White Sox or the local team? And who controls the teams management?

The parent organization supplements the payroll of management and players,and controls the coaching staffs.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
The parent organization supplements the payroll of management and players,and controls the coaching staffs.

I think they provide the uniforms, too?

All the ballpark upkeep and promotional expenses, including travel arrangements and expenses, are the obligation of the minor league promoter (i.e. the "owner").

Somebody help me out here. Interesting topic...

Daver
07-31-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I think they provide the uniforms, too?

All the ballpark upkeep and promotional expenses, including travel arrangements, are the obligation of the minor league promoter (i.e. the "owner").

Somebody help me out here. Interesting topic...

The uniforms are from the same company that makes the MLB uniforms as part of a package deal,so that is quite likely correct.

Paulwny
07-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by daver


The uniforms are from the same company that makes the MLB uniforms as part of a package deal,so that is quite likely correct.

Minor league teams pay for uniforms. I don't think the minor league team has to pay part of a players salary, as it once had to.

Paulwny
07-31-2002, 02:12 PM
Found this on "How stuff Works" Rays and their farm club:

Major business expenses include rental of the ballpark (owned and maintained by the city), player-related expenses, payroll for around 100 employees (office, promotional, field, parking staff) on any given game day, National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues dues, and ticket taxes.

The Devil Rays negotiate and pay player salaries, and the Durham Bulls participate with them in paying for bats, balls, equipment and uniforms. Since umpires must remain neutral, the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues trains, assigns and pays umpires.