Frater Perdurabo
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Another wasted opportunity

Viva Medias B's
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
What the hell is it with KC?

voodoochile
09-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I didn't think it was physically possible but that both sucks and blows at the same time.

Soxman219
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Boondock Saint
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZSOq2MmcxJY/T4hNb2HlP7I/AAAAAAAAAMo/YeiPRwRJlZ8/s1600/ozzie-guillen-choke.jpg

amsteel
Sox didn't play well enough to win and they lost.

Thornton deserves the scorn he's gonna get, that pitch should have been nowhere near the plate.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Only one word to describe this game...horse****.

Thank God we're done with them.

cws05champ
Un-****ing-believable....

Can someone tell these guys how to base run from 3rd base!!!

Soxman219
I guess I should apologize, I started watching when it was 3-0 in the 5th.:(:

Mohoney
Worst loss of the season, by far.

Watch the Royals fold like a tent against the Tigers.

If we don't win the division, the Royals definitely spoiled it.

Tragg
09-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Can't let Jeff Francoeur get a crack at it....that .284 OBP will kill you.

Just clowning, all the way through.

Nelfox02
pathetic......when DET loses you have to win....they jump out to a lead and then it goes to pot.

I think we come home tied.......at best a 1 game lead. This team is really making it hard to get excited about its chances of making post season

what a shame

Soxman219
Lost 5 outta 6 series against KC. Unreal.:angry:

russ99

No idea, but it's mostly self-inflicted. How many of the 12 games we lost against these guys was winnable given a clutch hit, and without boneheaded plays on the basepaths and on defense.

OmahaSoxFan
Royals just owned the Sox this season... enough said. Glad the Sox are done with these bastards for the rest of this season - but losing games like this hurts, especially with a tough trip out to the West Coast to face a resurgent LAA team... this weekend is huge - and could either spring board this team or bury them coming off another series loss and a walk off loss to a pesky team like KC.

Also, I had just this sneaking feeling that those base running mistakes by Rios and TCM were going to come back to haunt the Sox - and boy did they ever. You have to put down a team like KC early, because if you don't, **** like tonight will happen. :angry:

johnnyg83

two runners thrown out at third with less than one out ... **** **** ****

Blueprint1
09-20-2012, 11:00 PM
We better hope Detroit plays bad the next two weeks. The Sox have some really good teams to play coming up. LA, and Tampa still on the schedule. Detroit only plays Minnesota and Kansas City.

SoxSpeed22
I agree with Rongey, at least we don't have to play these guys anymore.
Not much to say here, we did a wonderful job of beating ourselves and letting Guthrie off the hook.

Moses_Scurry
Get on that plane and get the hell out of there! Burn the bats and gloves, and replace them with new ones in Anaheim.

:angry::angry:

aryzner
Should have had more runs if not for bonehead baserunning plays.

Absolute ****ing garbage.

I could have played better on the basepaths.

cv sox fan
out managed again. this is getting painful

JB98
09-20-2012, 11:01 PM
As soon as the Royals scored in the fifth inning, the Sox were done tonight. This game was over four innings before it actually ended.

I don't even recognize the Sox when they play against Kansas City. They make uncharacteristic mistakes. They do dumb things. They fold when the Royals hit them in the mouth.

The Sox don't do that against any other club, not even Detroit.

I'm relieved we won't see the Royals again until the Cactus League in the spring.

The only blessing is the Sox lost in nine innings and not 12. Makes for an earlier arrival in California. Certainly, the Sox were done scoring. It was just a matter of what inning KC would score and win the game. Might as well be sooner rather than later.

Soxman219
09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
It will be a miracle if the Sox win the series in L.A.

Tragg
We can believe in mysticism, they own us, and tooth fairies.
Or you can stop the boneheaded baserunning and managing-scared.

JB98

I disagree. The way this team is, they'll play better against the Angels.

They just have a mental thing with Kansas City.

OmahaSoxFan
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
**** Thornton and **** Ventura for sending that worthless prick out there.

I don't see why RV didn't leave Crain in to face Francouer - but it doesn't matter anyway, Royals would have found a way to walk off the Sox - just the way the season series against those guys panned out.

It seemed like Crain was doing his job and hitting his spots, outside of the base hit up the middle to Butler - just another game where Robin out-managed himself.

thomas35forever
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I had a bad feeling with those baserunning blunders. That's not how a playoff team needs to work right now. Seems like it took the mojo out of the offense.

For every game that shows we deserve this division, there's one like this that shows we don't. And we have no one to blame but ourselves. No way it should be this close.

johnnyg83
09-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm so ****ing frustrated. I'll have 10 people stop in my office with a coy smile on their face tomorrow giggling. *******s who don't even follow baseball. This is one of the worst losses I can remember since 2008. This team lacks a killer instinct.

tstrike2000
You have a chance knock Guthrie out by the fifth, but they decide to have horrible approaches at the plate, not work the count, swing at garbage well out of the zone, and swing at first pitches. I'm not sure what the hell Thornton was doing there. You have an 0-2 count and he just throws a mediocre fastball up. Bad, bad baserunning sealed the deal.

russ99

Actually, we've played very well against the top teams this year, and have gone 3-2 against the Angels. It's the horse**** teams we can't beat, better not see a reprise vs. the Indians.

guillensdisciple
Sigh.

OmahaSoxFan
09-20-2012, 11:05 PM
You have a chance knock Guthrie out by the fifth, but they decide to have horrible approaches at the plate, not work the count, swing at garbage well out of the zone, and swing at first pitches. I'm not sure what the hell Thornton was doing there. You have an 0-2 count and he just throws a mediocre fastball up. Bad, bad baserunning sealed the deal.

Yep, the Sox need to put this game behind them and fast... pack it up, throw it in a box, and burn the **** out of it... and move on.

cv sox fan
09-20-2012, 11:06 PM
out managed again. this is painful to watch

soltrain21
Just let another team from the East go or something.

russ99
Well, at least we didn't lose a game after this disaster.

JB98
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Actually, we've played very well against the top teams this year, and have gone 3-2 against the Angels. It's the horse**** teams we can't beat, better not see a reprise vs. the Indians.

They're 8-4 against the Tribe. I'm confident they'll play better now that Kansas City is off the schedule.

They just really, really blow against the Royals. Like I said, I don't even recognize the Sox when they play Kansas City.

That club I saw tonight is not the club I've enjoyed watching this summer.

LoveYourSuit
I'm to the point where I will not be shocked to win or lose this division.

Lip Man 1
JB:

The word you are looking for is mental. They tighten up and do stupid things. The problem is they are doing them to a pair of divisional opponents. (K.C. & Detroit...)

6-12 against the garbage Royals (whom the Sox open the 2013 season with by the way...) if they don't make the postseason this year you can circle that little number with a big red marker.

Guess we should be thankful they won a ****ing game in the series.

And now Konerko's back hurts...the injuries never ****ing end this season do they?

Agree with the poster who said the season could turn this weekend. The Sox get the Angels...Santana, Haren and Weaver. Detroit gets Moe, Larry and Curly.

Magic Number #12. One win for a winning season. Thank God Detroit lost.

Lip

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
out managed again. this is getting painful

How exactly? Francour v Crain 0.444 BA, Thronton v Hosmer 0.111 BA.

Tragg
09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
You have a chance knock Guthrie out by the fifth, but they decide to have horrible approaches at the plate,

7 pitches in the 8th
11 pitches in the 9th
To get us out. That's one, among a number of things, I hope Hahn can change.
The manager's scared of a terrible hitter like Francouer. And while I realize it led to an error, bunting frankly one of our more productive hitters the last 2 weeks, with 2 on and no one out early in the game is playing defensive and scared.

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
(whom the Sox open the 2013 season with by the way...)

All right! We're already ****ting on next year!

soltrain21
09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
JB:

The word you are looking for is mental. They tighten up and do stupid things. The problem is they are doing them to a pair of divisional opponents. (K.C. & Detroit...)

6-12 against the garbage Royals (whom the Sox open the 2013 season with by the way...) if they don't make the postseason this year you can circle that little number with a big red marker.

Guess we should be thankful they won a ****ing game in the series.

And now Konerko's back hurts...the injuries never ****ing end this season do they?

Agree with the poster who said the season could turn this weekend. The Sox get the Angels...Santana, Haren and Weaver. Detroit gets Moe, Larry and Curly.

Magic Number #12. One win for a winning season.

Lip

The amount I care about this is so, so, so minuscule.

thomas35forever
09-20-2012, 11:12 PM

9 out of 10 White Sox fans echo this sentiment.

EdHerman12
09-20-2012, 11:12 PM
The pooping of the pants continues for this team....don't expect things to get better in Orange County.......

Soxman219
09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
This loss still hurts, usually I get over it by now but I can't!

russ99
09-20-2012, 11:14 PM
7 pitches in the 8th
11 pitches in the 9th
To get us out. That's one, among a number of things, I hope Hahn can change.
The manager's scared of a terrible hitter like Francouer. And while I realize it led to an error, bunting frankly one of our more productive hitters the last 2 weeks, with 2 on and no one out early in the game is playing defensive and scared.

Beckham bunting in a run on an error is playing defensive and scared? They don't count sacrifices or errors, but that would be #2 out of our 9 chances with RISP today.

<teal> If nobody's going to drive in a run, maybe they should bunt more. <\teal> (no colors on ForumRunner)

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Amsteel / Soul:

I know you don't, that's fine... just preparing you for a probable rough start next year since they'll have Mendoza, Chen and Guthrie lined up to stick it up the Sox asses.

Six runs total in three games against a team well under .500.

Lip

slavko
09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I guess I should apologize, I started watching when it was 3-0 in the 5th.:(:

Ditto. Tuned in for a pickoff, tuned out.

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Amsteel / Soul:

I know you don't, that's fine... just preparing you for a probable rough start next year since they'll have Mendoza, Chen and Guthrie lined up to stick it up the Sox asses.

Six runs total in three games against a team well under .500.

Lip

I hate to take out an umbrella in your **** shower, but Guthrie and Mendoza are FAs after this year.

Tragg
09-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Beckham bunting in a run on an error is playing defensive and scared? They don't count sacrifices or errors, but that would be #2 out of our 9 chances with RISP today.

it was a fluke - an error.
yes, bunting in the 2nd inning is playing defensive and scared.

Brian26
09-20-2012, 11:23 PM
The manager's scared of a terrible hitter like Francouer.

First base was open. The smart thing to do there is to walk Francouer, who's been dangerous against the Sox all year.

Masterful job by Crain to keep Dyson close at first and nail down those first two outs. A shame they couldn't get out of that inning.

I'll pin the loss tonight on Alexei daydreaming at third base and getting picked off. At least Rios was being aggressive when he got nailed at the plate. Alexei's mental blunder is inexcusable.

PalehosePlanet
Every time we play KC, I keep thinking of that old Dennis Hopper commercial: Bad things, maaaaan....

We only gave up 9 runs in this series and still lost 2 of 3. Maddening, absolutely ****ing maddening. After every KC series this year I promise myself I won't watch the next time they play, and of course I renege, and subject myself to frustration, again and again.

JB98
Honestly, I can't blame Ventura for this loss. There's a couple things I would have done differently, but this is on the players. They did dumb things. They lost the game.

That 0-2 pitch by Thornton was criminally stupid. A veteran reliever should know better.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
First base was open. The smart thing to do there is to walk Francouer, who's been dangerous against the Sox all year.

Masterful job by Crain to keep Dyson close at first and nail down those first two outs. A shame they couldn't get out of that inning.

I'll pin the loss tonight on Alexei daydreaming at third base and getting picked off. At least Rios was being aggressive when he got nailed at the plate. Alexei's mental blunder is inexcusable.

I think Alex had words for Youk on that play for the lack of help.

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Agree 10000%. I've been very 2nd guessing of Ventura all year, but I have no problem with how he handled the 9th.

And seriously, that was amazing what Crain did with Dyson.

Dibbs
09-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Pathetic.

gosox41

What is it with us. We control our destiny. We had a good game plan at the beginning by actually working counts and not chasing the first pitch balls.

Bu then we had 7 batters retired on 14 pitches later in the game. Really? Is there some sort of sound baseball strategy that I am missing?

Bob

LoveYourSuit
Honestly, I can't blame Ventura for this loss. There's a couple things I would have done differently, but this is on the players. They did dumb things. They lost the game.

That 0-2 pitch by Thornton was criminally stupid. A veteran reliever should know better.

How about hit the damn ball?

This team just can't hit. Plain and simple.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Amsteel:

Make you a reasonable wager both are back next year. Game?

The Royals are trying to improve in the division, these two guys at least have experience and have shown to be Sox killers, why let them go? It's not like the Yankees are going to be interested in a pair of mid 30's re-treads right?

Lip

Soxman219
09-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Still severely disappointed in this team right now. This is the homestretch, you have a 3-0 lead, Detroit lost, and you still can't finish. It's unbelievable.

Soxman219
09-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Is Paulie hurt?

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Bob:

It is what it is. We're seen that movie before. It's frustrating I know and you wonder why they can't seem to learn from their mistakes (Robin wasn't upset yesterday because he wanted to pass the time...) but apparently they can't.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Soxman:

PK has some lower back pain. As someone who has lower back pain (disc issue) it can be very painful. Not saying in any way this is what PK has but with a sore lower back it's hard just to get through the day let alone try to play baseball at that level.

Lip

Brian26
09-20-2012, 11:32 PM
The pessimist in me says, no matter how much we want to avoid it, this team is destined to lose Game 163 in Detroit. I hope I'm wrong.

Brian26
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Everyone should be thanking Lip, by the way, for picking up Guthrie last night for his fantasy team. Lip did his part. Who the hell forgot to pick up Giovatella though?

johnnyg83
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
How about hit the damn ball?

This team just can't hit. Plain and simple.

team should have had five runs tonight -- enough to win --

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Brian:

I hear you, am hoping you're wrong.

That would not be good to face Verlander at 13-1 against the Sox in his last 14 decision with it all on the line, still at least they would have a chance.

I know you're joking by the way because I don't play any fantasy sports games. Never could undertsnad how the participants would actually root against their real team because they have other team players in the fantasy league and are trying to win that.

Lip

DSpivack
09-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Amsteel:

The Royals are trying to improve in the division, these two guys at least have experience and have shown to be Sox killers, why let them go? It's not like the Yankees are going to be interested in a pair of mid 30's re-treads right?

Lip

The Royals do not play in the White Sox Baseball League, they play in Major League Baseball. Bringing them back because they're Sox killers would be pretty damn stupid on their part, as there are (will be, anyway) 13 other teams in the American League.

PalehosePlanet
09-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Amsteel:

Lip

Mendoza is 28 Lip, and he has very good stuff. I'd actually love to see what Coop could do with him. If the Yankees don't want him -- even though they always have at least a scrub or two in their rotation -- then I'd love the Sox to take chance on him.

Soxman219
09-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Soxman:

PK has some lower back pain. As someone who has lower back pain (disc issue) it can be very painful. Not saying in any way this is what PK has but with a sore lower back it's hard just to get through the day let alone try to play baseball at that level.

Lip

Thanks.

slavko
09-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Was McEwing yelling Backbackbackback like Tim Raines did? If not he shares the blame.

TheOldRoman
Worst loss of the season, by far.

Watch the Royals fold like a tent against the Tigers.

If we don't win the division, the Royals definitely spoiled it.Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Royals did a total laydown for the Tigers. As much as some people have posted about the Royals actually being good and playing the Tigers well, too - they haven't. They swept the Tigers in their last series to pull them to an impressive 4-7 against the Tigers this year. Maybe it was a preview of things to come against DET, who knows. I do know, however, that these Royals are a horse **** team. Their "impressive" second half has them at 30-34, and that includes going 10-5 against the Sox over that stretch. The Royals are 56-75 against teams other than the Sox this year. There is no excuse for going 6-12 against this team. It's bad enough having that terrible record against Detroit, but the Royals are totally different. If the Sox miss the playoffs, that right there is why.

Luckily though, the Sox have responded well this year. They can't beat the mediocre Tigers or the garbage Royals, but they have done pretty well against most other teams. Their record against teams other than the Tigers and Royals in the second half is 27-12. I am confident the Sox will pick it up this weekend.

Noneck
Is Paulie hurt?

I would say for him to sit out, he has to be really hurt. Not good for the rest of the year.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM

You mean they don't throw parades for winning seasons?

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Amsteel:

Lip

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about the Royals offseason pitching needs or their organizational depth to gamble on them. They're mostly ****ty pitchers, why would anyone sign them? I'm sure KC has 32521542 'can't miss' prospects from all their high draft picks that are currently in the minors they could bring up and save $.

And the Yankees definitely don't sign mid-30s retreads
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesan01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wisede01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garcifr03.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/chaveer01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/woodke02.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thamema01.shtml

amsteel
09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
You mean they don't throw parades for winning seasons?

My t-shirt and DVD are included with the commemorative Sports Illustrated issue I ordered

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Pale:

My apologies I thought you said Chen and Guthrie.

Even more reason for the Royals to bring him back.

Love:

Agreed but when you're picked to lose 90+ games having a winning season does have meaning, and note.

But then you already know that. I wouldn't be satisfied with that but if they don't make the playoffs to me it's better than a losing season if that's the only choice I have.

But then you already know that to.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:44 PM
The pessimist in me says, no matter how much we want to avoid it, this team is destined to lose Game 163 in Detroit. I hope I'm wrong.

Which would be even a bigger tragedy to have to burn one of our top starters for a game we had no business playing in had we taken care of business earlier vs ****ing KC.

Burning that rotation in 2008 down the stretch put us behind the 8 ball vs TB right away for game 1.

Floyd / Quintana getting the ball for game 1 of any ALDS series is the equivalent for Javier Vazquez in 2008.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Love:

Agreed but when you're picked to lose 90+ games having a winning season does have meaning, and note.

But then you already know that. I wouldn't be satisied with that but if they don't make the playoffs to me it's better than a losing season if that's the only choice I have.

But then you already know that to.

Lip

I'd rather lose 100 games than not make the playoffs.

No joke. Get a higher draft pick, at least salvage that.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Amsteel:

So I take that as a no right?

Thanks for playing anyway.

I'm also willing to wager you the Yankees won't sign them (i.e. Chen and Guthrie)

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Love:

With the Sox drafting record?

I don't know if I'd take that chance.

Lip

soltrain21
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
This is so hard to follow without Lip using the quote function.

TheOldRoman
09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Floyd / Quintana getting the ball for game 1 of any ALDS series is the equivalent for Javier Vazquez in 2008.No way. It certainly wouldn't be desirable, but it would be nowhere near as bad as Vazquez in game one. Floyd and Quintana have both pitched well in big games (although only that once in Quintana's case). Vazquez was horrendous down the stretch for the Sox and did his best to cost them the division. Everyone KNEW he was going to lose that game, with the only hope being that he somehow forgot it was the playoffs and had an uncharacteristically good start.

Besides, Peavy would start game one if Sale pitched in 163.

JB98
09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Chen has a contract for next year. I suspect he will remain a Royal for one more season. Guthrie is arbitration-eligible and is probably pitching himself into Kansas City's plans the Royals are 9-0 in his last nine starts.

The Royals might cut Mendoza loose. He's just filler until they can find someone to take his spot.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Amsteel:

So I take that as a no right?

Thanks for playing anyway.

I'm also willing to wager you the Yankees won't sign them (i.e. Chen and Guthrie)

Lip

With Peavy walking, I would take a Coop/Guthrie combo in a heartbeat.

We are going to need a RH starter next year. An affordable one ($8-9 million ).

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Love:

With the Sox drafting record?

I don't know if I'd take that chance.

Lip

Might have a point. And with the refusal to deal with Boras (despite slotted $$$) even more.

johnnyg83
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm not going to pretend I know enough about the Royals offseason pitching needs or their organizational depth to gamble on them. They're mostly ****ty pitchers, why would anyone sign them? I'm sure KC has 32521542 'can't miss' prospects from all their high draft picks that are currently in the minors they could bring up and save $.

The Royals have a few good prospects at SP but three of their top ones are in flux. John Lamb = Tommy John, Danny Duffy = Tommy John, Mike Montgomery = severe control issues, Jake Odorizzi = just called up after a good minor League season. Not too deep.

I would not be surprised if they sign Guthrie and Chen. Hochevar might get get cut ...

So without a big FA signing, a rotation of:

Guthrie
Chen
Mendoza
Odorizzi
Duffy/Lamb/Montgomery

is not unlikely.

There's also talk of converting Aaron Crow (a SP at Mizzou) and Tim Collins to the rotation

Noneck
09-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Lip,

With the Sox losing Liriano, Peavy, maybe Floyd and who knows how Danks will come out. Maybe the sox will be knocking on guthrie or chens door.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
No way. It certainly wouldn't be desirable, but it would be nowhere near as bad as Vazquez in game one. Floyd and Quintana have both pitched well in big games (although only that once in Quintana's case). Vazquez was horrendous down the stretch for the Sox and did his best to cost them the division. Everyone KNEW he was going to lose that game, with the only hope being that he somehow forgot it was the playoffs and had an uncharacteristically good start.

Besides, Peavy would start game one if Sale pitched in 163.

Floyd/Quintana vs the Yankees in game 1... my confidence level would be about a 3 from a 1-10 scale.

I guess you are right, Vazquez was a confidence 1 for that TB series.

It's still ****ty.

We have the opportunity to set this thing up for Sale/Peavy/Liriano.

That can shut down any offense in baseball right now.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Noneck:

Well it's guaranteed the record won't be as good because they won't get five or six starts a year against the Sox. :D:

Lip

Noneck
09-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Lip,

But look at the reverse side. :smile:

TheOldRoman
09-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Floyd/Quintana vs the Yankees in game 1... my confidence level would be about a 3 from a 1-10 scale.

I guess you are right, Vazquez was a confidence 1 for that TB series.

It's still ****ty.

We have the opportunity to set this thing up for Sale/Peavy/Liriano.

That can shut down any offense in baseball right now.Not only would Peavy pitch game one in that situation, but due to the off days on Friday and Monday, Sale would be ready to pitch in game three. Still not ideal, but not a total disaster, either. Sale, Peavy and Liriano would still pitch those games, Sale would just go last. However, I don't think it will come to that, because in the second half the Sox beat everybody but the Royals and Tigers, and the Tigers can't beat anybody but the Sox.

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Looking at the schedule.

If Sale has to go game 163, Then Peavy will be right on schedule for Saturday/Sunday start for game 1.

The problem comes for game 2:

If Sunday game 2
Liriano / Quintana

If Monday game 2
Liriano / Quintana / Floyd

Any scenario with a game 163 heavily screws the Sox because there will be no Sale for games 1 and 2. In a best of 5 series, this is huge.

With the suckage of this offense, the only hope I give the Sox to getting far into October is if Sale and Peavy are going 1 and 2 of every series.
(Johnson + Schilling 2012)

PalehosePlanet
09-21-2012, 01:14 AM
I'd rather lose 100 games than not make the playoffs.

No joke. Get a higher draft pick, at least salvage that.

Good for you. As for me, I enjoy being in contention year in and year out. Other than 2007 we've been in the race come Labor Day weekend every year.

Beckham is our only top 10 pick in the last 22 years and I'm fine with that. I hope we only have one more top ten pick in our next 22 years also.

Foulke You
09-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Some more thoughts on tonight's game:

-Liriano is quite the enigma. He was in complete control until *poof* the command just left him for a few batters and he starts throwing everything in the dirt. Still gave us a quality start though. What a talent he is when he throws strikes.

-We suck against KC's bullpen almost as much as their starters. Not sure what their bullpen E.R.A. is against us but it has to be sterling.

-6 runs in 3 games isn't going to work. We need to find that long ball stroke in Anaheim.This offense reminds me so much of 2003.

-I had no problem going to Thornton there. Robin actually used the scouting report and it showed that Francouer owned Crain. Matt had been pitching well lately and just made an awful 0-2 pitch.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Turned on the game in the fifth and the sox promptly made me pay for making that decision.

We have to take two out of three in LA. It will be a tall order but the tigers will probably sweep or win that series and we don't want to give them a lead with 10 games left and their cake schedule.

CoopaLoop
09-21-2012, 02:08 AM
How many times has Francoeur been intentionally walked by Ventura this year?

I feel like it's been at least three.

Horrifying.

LITTLE NELL
09-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Some more thoughts on tonight's game:

-Liriano is quite the enigma. He was in complete control until *poof* the command just left him for a few batters and he starts throwing everything in the dirt. Still gave us a quality start though. What a talent he is when he throws strikes.

-We suck against KC's bullpen almost as much as their starters. Not sure what their bullpen E.R.A. is against us but it has to be sterling.

-6 runs in 3 games isn't going to work. We need to find that long ball stroke in Anaheim.This offense reminds me so much of 2003.

-I had no problem going to Thornton there. Robin actually used the scouting report and it showed that Francouer owned Crain. Matt had been pitching well lately and just made an awful 0-2 pitch.

If I was AJ during that inning I would have gone out to the mound and read Liriano the riot act, how can a Major league pitcher have such lousy control of his breaking pitches. AJ might give some thought to becomming an NHL goalie with all the stops he made during that inning.

Hunker down
09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
First trade of the off season is for Mendoza, Chen and Guthrie and then bury their a**'s in the Charlotte.

Noneck
09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
It will be tough from here on out. The Sox will be dogs every game against the angels and at least a couple times against the rays. Detroit may not be a dog the rest of the year. I am now hoping 1 over .500 ball from here on out will get the Sox in.

CHISOXFAN13
09-21-2012, 08:48 AM
It will be tough from here on out. The Sox will be dogs every game against the angels and at least a couple times against the rays. Detroit may not be a dog the rest of the year. I am now hoping 1 over .500 ball from here on out will get the Sox in.

Completely disagree. Peavy against Santana and we are dogs? The Sox won't see Price either. Besides, games aren't played in Vegas. If they were, the Tigers would have won the division in August.

SCCWS
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Tampa has been struggling lately. They are on a 3-7 streak and have had a few player squablles in the dugout. Most likely will be eliminated from WC by the time they come to Chicago.

Noneck
09-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Tampa has been struggling lately. They are on a 3-7 streak and have had a few player squablles in the dugout. Most likely will be eliminated from WC by the time they come to Chicago.

Maybe so and hope so.

Chez
09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I thought the 0-2 pitch Thornton threw to Hoesmer was fine. It looked neck high. Hoesmer hit a ground ball that he was so late on that it stayed inside the bag -- it wasn't like he crushed it.

Sox are making it unnecessarily difficult on themselves -- and ruining my stomach lining in the process.

DeadMoney
09-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Good for you. As for me, I enjoy being in contention year in and year out. Other than 2007 we've been in the race come Labor Day weekend every year.

Beckham is our only top 10 pick in the last 22 years and I'm fine with that. I hope we only have one more top ten pick in our next 22 years also.

Amen.

Just a personal observation, but I dread guys getting on base and watching him pitch out of the stretch. He seems much more erratic when pitching out of the stretch than he does out of the wind-up.

doublem23
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Seriously, my friends who are diehard Cub fans are currently sitting through a near 100 loss season. They're miserable. Definitely not worth it.

Noneck
09-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Seriously, my friends who are diehard Cub fans are currently sitting through a near 100 loss season. They're miserable. Definitely not worth it.

I was a blow it up kind of guy but seeing what the cub fans are going through has changed my tune. I'm too old to go through that, maybe if I was a young guy I could weather the storm but not now.

kittle42
09-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I was a blow it up kind of guy but seeing what the cub fans are going through has changed my tune. I'm too old to go through that, maybe if I was a young guy I could weather the storm but not now.

I've contributed to the grief Lip has been getting, but yeah, it does suck when your season is toast by June.

hawkjt
09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Brutal,brutal loss.

The baserunning gaffe by Alexei is inexcusable....Alex's was a bad break.
Still, bottom line is the Sox continue to be in a severe hitting funk,especially clutch hitting. That must change.

KC is a better hitting team than the Sox by a fair margin...

As for KC vs Tigers....in the first half,when KC was playing so crappy,they went 1-7 vs the Tigers....swept them the last time they saw them,and now have 7 more vs tigers....KC is a different team than the first few months,and I see them causing the Tigers plenty of problems.

Sox have to win some games,pronto...2 in Cali,and then 2 more vs the Tribe. Rays could easily be mathematically eliminated by next thursday,and roll over completely.

I would still rather be the Sox than the Tigers,but the rolaids are right by the champagne.
Tonite is the biggest game of the year....Jake needs to win.

As for Liriano, he was dominating,and then the wierd problem with his low pitches. Still, to me, it was an encouraging outing. He seems to be settling in with Coops suggestions. When you consider Gavin Floyds outing and now Liriano....along with Sale and Peavy,the Sox might have the best rotation down the stretch,among the contenders.

Noneck
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I've contributed to the grief Lip has been getting, but yeah, it does suck when your season is toast by June.

I think they were well cooked even before that. I think they made it to 4th place for a couple days in april. That would be brutal.

veeter
09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
When our shortstop is the dumbest player on the team, it's not good.

kittle42
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
When our shortstop is the dumbest player on the team, it's not good.

There's one thing we share with the other side of town.

veeter
09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
There's one thing we share with the other side of town.Ha ha! Unfortunately we do.

Tragg
09-21-2012, 01:48 PM

First base is open - until you walk someone. Now the pressure is on NOT to walk someone as you move them up to wild-pitch, you lose territory. Your're more careful to throw the ball down the middle.
In general I think managers IW players too cavalierly. It's not like Cabrera or Pujols was up....just another lousy hitter.
And of course I don't buy this mysticism that Francoeur or the Royals own us...it's just a small sample size with Francour and as for the Royals, it's us playing like dog****. The players and the manager are tightening up. We beat ourselves last night.

BigKlu59
09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
First base is open - until you walk someone. Now the pressure is on NOT to walk someone as you move them up to wild-pitch, you lose territory. Your're more careful to throw the ball down the middle.
In general I think managers IW players too cavalierly. It's not like Cabrera or Pujols was up....just another lousy hitter.
And of course I don't buy this mysticism that Francoeur or the Royals own us...it's just a small sample size with Francour and as for the Royals, it's us playing like dog****. The players and the manager are tightening up. We beat ourselves last night.

Spot on... we were in all of these games and should have walked away with 2 of the 3. Its not so much that they "beat" us, but maybe the fact we were the result of our own shortcomings when the situations arose. Alot of holes in shoes from shooting themselves in the foot...

Pennant race means pass the Maalox....

BK59

SOXSINCE'70
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Only can say this:

:facepalm::ohno

CoopaLoop
09-21-2012, 06:27 PM

This is just insane.

Francouer is hitting .246 against the Sox. He has hardly been dangerous.

Robin Ventura intentionally walked Francouer and burned a pitcher in one sequence. Smart baseball my ass.